Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

PvP Power Nerfed on Latest PTR Build...

PvP now A LOT more balanced...

Burst was absolutely out of control. As in EVERY class was capable of 5.0 hunter/warrior level burst. Rogues were critting 180k+ eviscerates using only their badge pvp trinket and no other cds/burst.

My warrior had 55% pvp power, now has 36%. A great first step towards balancing this pile of shit they've been making since the start of Cataclysm. Now they need to tone down heals a little more and gut CC across the board.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    People need to stop acting like this change is official. I think they're just literally testing numbers.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-04-27 at 06:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Not too sure if I should be happy about less burst, or be pissed because it's another nerf to my self healing... >.>

edit: Actually, might be better to wait for confirmation before I start complaining... They are probably just fooling around with numbers to see what works and what doesn't...
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-04-27 at 04:00 AM.

News to me. There's a new PTR build that nerfs pvp power? What other changes?

MMO-Champ, you have FAILED me.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they don't nerf heals then we'll have immortal healers again once more .
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Quote Originally Posted by Arian21 View Post
    They just said they nerfed pvp power, and since pvp power increases healing...Can you complete the thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Venaliter View Post
    They just said they nerfed pvp power, and since pvp power increases healing...Can you complete the thought?
    This is right but dedicated and off-healing has been and still is overtuned and should be nerfed at least a tad.

Honestly cc MIGHT be fine with the reduction in burst. The reason cc was so crazy was because people could die within the first stun of a cc chain. LOLJK 15-20 second cc chains...shit needs a nerf HARD.
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

The nerf in PvP power will only make CC even stronger than it is now since it will be even more important to land a kill. Would rather die in 5 seconds than spend 20 seconds watching others die to be honest.

PvP Power conversion is now 400 rating to 1%, down from 265 rating.

Hurray for PvE gear in PvP!

If they wanted to fix burst, they should have increased resilience. When that causes a problem with healers being immortal, they can just increase battle fatigue. When that causes a problem with non-healers getting nerfed, they can just set PvP power on heals for non-healers to be the same as healer (eg. 100%).

But no, Blizzard decides to go with a change that buffs PvE gear through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    PvP Power conversion is now 400 rating to 1%, down from 265 rating.

Hurray for PvE gear in PvP!

If they wanted to fix burst, they should have increased resilience. When that causes a problem with healers being immortal, they can just increase battle fatigue. When that causes a problem with non-healers getting nerfed, they can just set PvP power on heals for non-healers to be the same as healer (eg. 100%).

But no, Blizzard decides to go with a change that buffs PvE gear through the roof.
    Well, once all gear is capped at 496 that doesn't really matter so much. You'll still beat a pve geared player due to pvp power. Out in the world though (not that blizzard cares, they've made that very clear) it will be a different story. Were they really fooling anyone though? They added in 3 tiers of gear for pve so they decided to balance pvp gear against each tier of gear. Honor gear is on par with lfr gear, conquest gear was on par with normal raiders and the elite gear was balanced against heroic raiders. But they're reducing the elite gear down to the normal tier. So their whole mantra about how you'll still be competitive with someone in heroic gear is a blatant and obvious lie. Simply because conquest gear was balanced against normal raiding gear.

But you'll be fine in arena and battlegrounds...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh thank god I won't die in 10 seconds anymore, lol jk we transferred to a PvE server.....

come back and play with us <3

Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    Well, once all gear is capped at 496 that doesn't really matter so much.
    Its a stupid Blizzard hotfix that shouldn't have even been needed.

It doesn't matter how fancy your PvP gear is when you can get roflstomped by a full set of raid gear in World PvP.

PvP power doesn't help much especially when it's being nerfed so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    Honor gear is on par with lfr gear, conquest gear was on par with normal raiders and the elite gear was balanced against heroic raiders.
    PvP gear should always be a tier better than PvE gear, the same way PvE gear is a tier up on PvP gear. Honor = Normal, Conquest = Heroic, Elite Conquest >>> all. Too bad Elite Conquest gear no longer exists.

Letting PvE gear matter in PvP was a good change, the same way PvP gear matters in PvE. Making PvE gear equivalent to PvP gear or better than PvP gear in select instances going too far in that direction.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-04-27 at 05:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People need to stop acting like this change is official. I think they're just literally testing numbers.

Not everyone has a wait and see attitude. Some people try to envision how certain things will be affected by changes. It doesn't really matter if the change is official at the moment. On the PTR blizzard can do whatever they like to test numbers, maybe they want to see how lowering numbers across the board will look like. Maybe they like what they see, maybe they don't. Either way, we can discuss what the change will affect. It's not really different than a what if scenario. It will probably be changed back next build though. /shrug

But if it doesn't then it indirectly buffs pve gear in pvp.
    Last edited by Ragashii; 2013-04-27 at 06:20 AM.

I'm not even sure PvP gear does more damage than PvE gear on live.. this easily throws PvE gear over the top.

Someone needs to create the PvP version of world of warcraft bad.

Putting this in the OP. This change isn't even documented.

I do agree that this will cause problems for world PvP and that's probably the exact reason why PvP power was absolutely out of control before this build on PTR. But buffing PvP power is NOT the way to go about addressing this discrepancy simply because of how it effects actual rated play when players are running around with 55%+ pvp power.

This would be hard to do but they could make it so that weapons/gear automatically behave as ilvl 496 items when a player target is engaged. Would take some major technical handy work if it's even possible.

Also this would never have even been a problem if ilvl's didn't get so out of control. The ilvl squish was a NECESSITY going into this expansion OR they could have made sure that the ilvl jumps between tiers were far smaller. Instead the ilvl jumps and subsequent numbers are larger than ever. Weapon damage between a heroic throne of thunder weapon and an lfr mogu'shan vaults weapon is literally doubled. If the squish DID happen then pvp power could have remained low and still ensured that pvp gear was better than pve gear for world pvp.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-04-27 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Putting this in the OP. This change isn't even documented.

I do agree that this will cause problems for world PvP and that's probably the exact reason why PvP power was absolutely out of control before this build on PTR. But buffing PvP power is NOT the way to go about addressing this discrepancy simply because of how it effects actual rated play when players are running around with 55%+ pvp power.

This would be hard to do but they could make it so that weapons/gear automatically behave as ilvl 496 items when a player target is engaged. Would take some major technical handy work if it's even possible.

Also this would never have even been a problem if ilvl's didn't get so out of control. The ilvl squish was a NECESSITY going into this expansion OR they could have made sure that the ilvl jumps between tiers were far smaller. Instead the ilvl jumps and subsequent numbers are larger than ever. Weapon damage between a heroic throne of thunder weapon and an lfr mogu'shan vaults weapon is literally doubled. If the squish DID happen then pvp power could have remained low and still ensured that pvp gear was better than pve gear for world pvp.
    I completely agree about the item squish. The other day I was talking to some guildies about how much health we had during wrath in the second season. When the item squish was first proposed they were talking about people sitting around 20k health and how wrath numbers felt good. Then they were talking about things hitting for hundreds of damage, and saying it felt wrong. Well of course it felt wrong when they aren't anywhere near the numbers you proposed to begin with. PvP power just feels like a last ditch effort to save pvp gear. At this point it feels like it's all a prelude to removing pvp gear entirely and making it all cosmetic and for vanity. The item level jumps are insane because they have to be in order to increase player power in a meaningful way. PvP gear is not keeping up with the jumps though.

"With that in mind, we could go back and compress the big item level increases that occur at level 60, 70, 80 and 85. The Mists of Pandaria gear would still grow exponentially from patch to patch, but the baselines would be a lot lower. Health could go from 150,000 back down to something like 20,000. The big risk of this approach is that players will log into the new expansion and feel nerfed... even if all the other numbers are compressed as well."-Ghostcrawler talking about the item squish. http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/11/04/gh...tem-number-in/

Then here is is again talking about it:
    TS: Interesting. So you did a blog post a while ago about the “Great Item Squish (Or Not) of Mists of Pandaria.” I noticed that the combat text was popping up and saying things like “14K” instead of 14,000 or whatever. Is that the route you decided to go with, like the “mega damage” approach?

GS: Yeah, we went with the “not.” Mega Damage, here to stay. So we had this all in and working. We squished everything, and it was working. We had the whole thing implemented, and we sat down and tried it out, and, you know, Mortal Strike hit for 200, and Fireball hit for 150, and we were like, “This feels wrong.” We knew exactly how it would feel like, and we knew that our damage as a percentage didn’t go down, but it felt terrible. And we were like, “Okay, this is now super risky”, because we’re going to change talent trees on players, and even though we think it’s a great design, and we think players will love it, it’s a hard sell. And to do that, and have them hit really wimpy, I think even if players understood why we did it, deep down they wouldn’t like it. http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...er-quot-Street
    Last edited by Ragashii; 2013-04-27 at 07:44 AM.

Might as well rename raid gear world gear since it'll be superior for not only questing and monster killing but also world pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

This will go nicely with my op dmg dots in UA, oh i was kinda glad with the 10% buff even though its not even close to enough, but troll this change set's the dots back again, even though its for everyone, Im sick of UA dots staying weak...

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Might as well rename raid gear world gear since it'll be superior for not only questing and monster killing but also world pvp.
    How about "MMORPG" gear. You know, since we're playing an MMORPG, where accomplishments in the game increase the relative power level of your character.

And then rename PvP gear to "Ranked Gear", since it's main use will be in ranked play, where once an initial grind is satisfied, power through gear is not important. Arena/RBG has always felt like a mini-game within the main game (which is fine, they're still my favorite parts of the game), but I don't feel slighted that serious raiders (who put in incredible time investments, which I could never do) will have an advantage in the world, they've earned it in the MMORPG sense. The fact that the don't routinely practice PvP makes me think that I'll still be able to kill them though.

Of course every once in a while you'll see that legit skilled Gladiator level player who is also a heroic raider, and he will smash face out in the questing zones, but hey, imo - they've earned that. When they step into PvP that matters, they lose the advantage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arian21 View Post
    Oh please. Healers have never been as weak as they are now since TBC. And this does hurt healers even though they weren't in all that great a spot to begin with. They ramped up battlefatigue to 50% and then evened it out with PvP power. So this change hurts healers even more than DPS and it is absolutely unneeded.

A wait and see attitude has never helped, not even once.