Thread: Ret PvP Tips?

Ret PvP Tips?

So I rerolled back to my beloved paladin recently and I wanted to get into PvP. I have read some guides like Noxxic and whatnot, and I was wondering if anyone would like to make an awesome Ret PvP thread.

I also had a couple questions, which would first be if you can use Hand of Sacrifice on an arena teammate and then bubble to mitigate all the damage. Anyone know? Also, Hand of Freedom prevents all movement impairing effects which is awesome, but it allows use while stunned but doesn't do anything. Whats up with that? And finally, what is your preferred arena team grouping for 2v2? I run an UnholyDK/DestroLock for my main PvPer, and I liked the Lock combo for fear and healthstones, but is there better?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    You don't want to mitigate the damage from Sac. It usually isn't enough to put you in an immense amount of danger compared to wasting your bubble. Besides, taking damage keeps you out of CC's.

The able to be used while stunned is a relic of the past. It used to clear stuns when used in WOTLK. Now, its just a nice little bonus.

For 2's... really anything, to be honest. At the moment I'm doing them with a shadow priest but might start doing them with a mistweaver soon.

Monk is pretty good as RoP really helps with survivability, but especially high-CC and high-damage specs such as Hunters, mages, locks are nice... but double melee can work well also because of double freedom. DK's are a nice choice. Rogues can be just as bursty as a Ret and allow you to open directly on top of the other team and not much can stop Sap -> Fist of Justice -> Aoe Blind while that CC'd healer has to worry that his buddy is going to die to your burst.

I personally run with a spriest right now because we pretty easily outheal a DPS/Healer team and can keep applying pressure until cooldowns are back up and try again. Eventually their healer is stuck in a fear -> fist -> psyfiend fear -> spriest silence and their dps is dead.

Ret/Rog is a really easy, fun, fast comp too. Scooby dooby doo!

But yes, Sac dmg is pretty meh, better to save bubble for when you actually need it. The new changes to Sac with absolve is nice, as sometimes you'll use it just to dispel, not to save a teammate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Ret/Rog is a really easy, fun, fast comp too. Scooby dooby doo!

But yes, Sac dmg is pretty meh, better to save bubble for when you actually need it. The new changes to Sac with absolve is nice, as sometimes you'll use it just to dispel, not to save a teammate.
    Or, my favorite, teach the Mage he should Deep the Ret Paladin by cleansing deep off of your teammate and lowering the damage they take. But that's only when they are foolish enough not to be focusing you.

Yerp, games where they try and train the rogue are usually over in ~20 seconds, as I get to cleanse him out and we both go HAM.

Ret/Rog suuuuck against MW though Got a few WW/MW or 2xMW troll teams last night. Ugh, dematerialize can die in a hole.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Yerp, games where they try and train the rogue are usually over in ~20 seconds, as I get to cleanse him out and we both go HAM.

Ret/Rog suuuuck against MW though Got a few WW/MW or 2xMW troll teams last night. Ugh, dematerialize can die in a hole.
    Don't even get me started on ring of peace. Just thinking of it infuriates me.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    Don't even get me started on ring of peace. Just thinking of it infuriates me.
    Ugh. I play Ret for PVP, as well as DK for ACTUAL PVP, and I haaaate this. Disarmed in melee. Run out to try and heal/ranged? Lolno, roll in and silence. I hate being double penalized by the same spell AS A MELEE CLASS, and locked out of basically all offense AND defense every 45 seconds.
    20k and counting...

Ugh. I play Ret for PVP, as well as DK for ACTUAL PVP, and I haaaate this. Disarmed in melee. Run out to try and heal/ranged? Lolno, roll in and silence. I hate being double penalized by the same spell AS A MELEE CLASS, and locked out of basically all offense AND defense every 45 seconds.
    We have always been double penalized.
    Welcome to New Blizzard where everything ages backwards, dead servers are left gasping for breath, homogenization is disguised as uniqueness, leveling mirrors the progression of travel in the last 150 years, and gold is just a nuisance.

I'm not stating otherwise.

It's further frustrating when both of your classes (main and primary alt) are both double penalized. And FURTHER annoying when ONE spell manages to do both, nearly passively, on a short cooldown. Which was my point
    20k and counting...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    IDK how, but they should have only given RoP to WW. (IDK how because it'd be a bit OP to have this AND leg sweep)
    Dematerialize + 3 rolls/2 rolls and tiger's lust = PLENTY of survivability. Like a Resto druid that you can't stun.

Deleted
    Since the rest of it has been answered: I've been playing Ret + Disc and it's working decently well. My mate used to be Shadow but he changed a couple weeks back and, even though he doesn't have that much experience with Disc PvP we're doing decently (just hit 1750+ rating this weekend). We're currently sitting on 242th place in the Blackout Battlegroup 2v2 Ladder. I think that's pretty good considering none of us is a "serious" PvPer :P.

Also, don't forget you can now use your Hand of Sacrifice to dispell magic effects. I use it a lot to dispel CC on my disc.

If it matters, my glyph choices:
    Glyph of Templar's Verdict - Alwaaaaaaaaaays on!
    Glyph of Word of Glory - I use it 99% of the fights, though I may still cling more to it due to running double DPS for so long and it's not as useful as it used to be.
    Gyph of Divine Protection - On whenever there's physical DPS, off when there's only caster DPS, pretty straight forward.
    Glyph of Blessed Life - I tend to use it against double caster DPS combos like Mage + Lock since you have a free slot due to removing Glyph of DP.
    Glyph of Blinding Light - Use it when I need the extra CC to be able to down a healer. Had a draw last saturday against RShammy + Feral (I think) so on our second and third matches I brought this glyph in to add an extra tad of CC and, coincidence or not, it did land us two wins (the second win was early as like 2 minutes in).

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Since the rest of it has been answered: I've been playing Ret + Disc and it's working decently well. My mate used to be Shadow but he changed a couple weeks back and, even though he doesn't have that much experience with Disc PvP we're doing decently (just hit 1750+ rating this weekend). We're currently sitting on 242th place in the Blackout Battlegroup 2v2 Ladder. I think that's pretty good considering none of us is a "serious" PvPer :P.

Also, don't forget you can now use your Hand of Sacrifice to dispell magic effects. I use it a lot to dispel CC on my disc.

If it matters, my glyph choices:
    Glyph of Templar's Verdict - Alwaaaaaaaaaays on!
    Glyph of Word of Glory - I use it 99% of the fights, though I may still cling more to it due to running double DPS for so long and it's not as useful as it used to be.
    Gyph of Divine Protection - On whenever there's physical DPS, off when there's only caster DPS, pretty straight forward.
    Glyph of Blessed Life - I tend to use it against double caster DPS combos like Mage + Lock since you have a free slot due to removing Glyph of DP.
    Glyph of Blinding Light - Use it when I need the extra CC to be able to down a healer. Had a draw last saturday against RShammy + Feral (I think) so on our second and third matches I brought this glyph in to add an extra tad of CC and, coincidence or not, it did land us two wins (the second win was early as like 2 minutes in).
    I actually suggest Glyph of Turn Evil if there's a Spriest/Lock/Unholy DK on the other team. Fearing pets = awesome.