Thread: New Faction?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Faction?

Hey, was just thinking about it. World of Warcraft has been out for, 8 or more / less years now. And there has always been 2 factions, do any of you guys see a possibility of a new faction... I've seen someone say it's not possible without Blizzard doing something, which can either damage the customers, or whatever. What's you're guys's opinion on this. I think it would be cool to see a Scourge faction, seeing as if Vol'Jin became Warchief, he would probably end the Alliance with Sylvanas, and maybe they'll become an faction of there own?

I think that we could possible see a new faction, I know games have had three factions in the past and it's worked. However, I don't see the Forsaken being kicked out of the Horde for gameplay reasons. If the Forsaken became their own faction, lorewise it would work, but gameplay, think of all the players who would no longer be allowed to play with their friends / guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a valid point. Didn't think of that

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechile View Post
    I think that we could possible see a new faction, I know games have had three factions in the past and it's worked. However, I don't see the Forsaken being kicked out of the Horde for gameplay reasons. If the Forsaken became their own faction, lorewise it would work, but gameplay, think of all the players who would no longer be allowed to play with their friends / guild.
    Free race change for forsaken after questline that allows them to join new faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say its a 3rd faction. Wouldnt it be unfair, cause technically, lets say its scourge. Then it will always become 2v1 faction wise? ...

Quote Originally Posted by KazWiz View Post
    Let's say its a 3rd faction. Wouldnt it be unfair, cause technically, lets say its scourge. Then it will always become 2v1 faction wise? ...
    Not if third faction is inteligent. Sabotage here, assassination there, planted evidence that and you have melee a trois.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah! And you might have a free for all kinda war. Thinkin' about this, and it seems really cool!

10+ Year Old Account
    A third faction would be underpopulated I imagine considering people wouldn't want to leave behind their current faction/guild/friends.

Well, I actually think it would be kind of cool, but I also doubt that Blizzard will do something like that because it's too different. They don't seem like they like to stray very far from their current money machine mechanics (look how long it took to have a race that could choose which side to play on... I've seen that suggested since at least WotLK with Goblins as the suggested race).

One thing that could be crazy would be new Battlegrounds that have all three factions involved. Can you imagine a capture the flag scenario with two flags and three factions trying to control both at the same time???

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ent0mbed View Post
    Well, I actually think it would be kind of cool, but I also doubt that Blizzard will do something like that because it's too different. They don't seem like they like to stray very far from their current money machine mechanics (look how long it took to have a race that could choose which side to play on... I've seen that suggested since at least WotLK with Goblins as the suggested race).

One thing that could be crazy would be new Battlegrounds that have all three factions involved. Can you imagine a capture the flag scenario with two flags and three factions trying to control both at the same time???
    Exactly, it would bring PvP to a higher, and better lvl. Not sure about the rest though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Games with three factions are my favorite as far as MMOs go, but there's no way Blizzard would introduce a third faction now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure it would be a good investment at this point. They're really not fond of having to spend development time on things that aren't relevant to the end-game experience, and for a third faction they'd have to design quests, zones, and Christ knows what else to put this third faction on par with the other two. Think of every Horde or Alliance-only quest in the game; this third faction would need its own equivalents in its own territories, its own towns and cities, its own leveling curve, etc. That's not even touching on things like PVP and cries of equality...

It would be a pretty mammoth undertaking.

If they make a WoW2 then I could see a third faction, but for the duration of WoWs lifetime(Which will be long hopefully) I don't see a third faction. More Neutral Races like Pandaren, yes.

I'll just leave this here - as it provides potential answers to some sticky issues...

http://thebigbearbutt.com/2013/04/24...t-would-it-be/

Way things have been, if they do add a third faction (which they won't) all the details of it will go down in a novel and then suddenly sprung on us in-game without any other explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    this third faction would need its own equivalents in its own territories, its own towns and cities, its own leveling curve, etc.
    Hero Faction? Step up from Hero Class? Sure, people would bitch, but look at death knights now, no one cares that they start at 55.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure it would be a good investment at this point. They're really not fond of having to spend development time on things that aren't relevant to the end-game experience, and for a third faction they'd have to design quests, zones, and Christ knows what else to put this third faction on par with the other two. Think of every Horde or Alliance-only quest in the game; this third faction would need its own equivalents in its own territories, its own towns and cities, its own leveling curve, etc. That's not even touching on things like PVP and cries of equality...

You've got a pretty valid point, there. The time it would take would be immense. But lets say 8/10 million players, want a new faction, a big change. Do you think, Blizzard would take on this challenge? ... I think not. I'm quite happy with 2 factions, and i'd rather not have 3. But i think it would be an cool feature to the game. Seeing it's always been 2 faction's. I know alot of friends who actually wants another factions, but it doesn't have a large enough "fanbase" if you will...

Deleted

This, and also the population imbalances between 2 factions are already extreme in many cases, adding a third faction in would be a nightmare.

Who is going to populate it? Guilds and friends are going to stick together so very few will transfer to a new one.

It would be an interesting approach, though I see more con's than pro's to the list however I would keep an open mind if Blizz were to decide it'd be worth a try.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    1) taking away the Forsaken would leave the Horde with fewer available races than the Alli, Blizz isn't about to do that. Giving the horde a new race to balance the count won't happen either, as alli would cry that they were being cheated out of a race.
    2) Literally everything else in the game would have to be re-worked to accommodate 3 factions (raids, BG's, questing areas, etc) and after cata, Blizz isn't gonna do that anytime soon.
    3) It would increase the workload of every expansion from this point on.
    4) There are already servers where one or the other faction is non-existent, a third faction would just exacerbate that problem.
    5) It makes little sense lore-wise.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus