Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skallfraktur View Post
    Is it only me that feels as the next expansion would have to be announced very soon in order for them to not have us wait for it for 1 year like we did for cataclysm once we're done with 5.4?
    It's over six months until BlizzCon. It isn't being announced until BlizzCon, period. I highly doubt they will ever announce an expansion outside of BlizzCon.

It's likely we'll see the trademark filed around late july, or early august.

It's probably more correct to call it "datamined" info than leaked information, as no one leaked the trademark info, it was datamined - and the person who datamined it was not under a non-disclosure agreement which a leak implies. The retail box on the other hand was a leak.

Deleted
    In early August 2011 Mists of Pandaria was trademarked and in late October it was confirmed to be the new expansion at Blizzcon.
    So i guess the trademark of the next expansion will surface in early August this year since this years Blizzcon is in early November.
    And of course there will be idiots that will yell that the trademark is not about the next expansion of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    Blizzard seems to get better at covering their tracks with every expansion. But, yeah, I agree with the others. It's still quite early.
    They've gotten much better at lying to their customers, if that's what you mean by, "better at covering their tracks". The trademark has to be public, and Blizz is popular enough that it is going to get data-mined. There are any number of ways Blizzard could have chosen to handle it, but instead they chose to act like a little kid who broke the cookie jar while stealing cookies. "I didn't break it, it fell and the floor broke it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    They've gotten much better at lying to their customers, if that's what you mean by, "better at covering their tracks".

The trademark has to be public, and Blizz is popular enough that it is going to get data-mined. There are any number of ways Blizzard could have chosen to handle it, but instead they chose to act like a little kid who broke the cookie jar while stealing cookies. "I didn't break it, it fell and the floor broke it."
    Except they didn´t actually lie there.

They've gotten much better at lying to their customers, if that's what you mean by, "better at covering their tracks".

The trademark has to be public, and Blizz is popular enough that it is going to get data-mined. There are any number of ways Blizzard could have chosen to handle it, but instead they chose to act like a little kid who broke the cookie jar while stealing cookies. "I didn't break it, it fell and the floor broke it."
    Going with Alvanir on this one. There was no lie there.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Predicting the next one is a little cloudier than in the past. On the one hand Blizzard has said that content and expansions are going to be pushed out faster, and we're already almost on 5.3. So it's pretty difficult to imagine the same expansion time cycle to continue where we wouldn't see the next one until late 2014. But I agree it's unlikely that we'll hear more than a trademarked name release or web name reservation before Blizzcon. If that holds true as expected, and we get a sneak preview at Blizzcon, we could figure open beta starts 6 months later, 4-5 months of open beta, then it's back to around late 2014 for a release time. However, even with a little more content coming from 5.3 and 5.4 I really can't imagine going 18 more months before the next expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    You're thinking of the fake list that was admitted fake by the guy who initially posted it, that he copypasted together from info found in the old RPG books.
    The one that keeps changing after a new expansion is announced, shuffles stuff around and then people point at it and say "aaah, see? It fits!"?

An incredibly hostile reaction to a company merely tempering speculation until the official announcement of their next product. Sheesh. He was just trying to preserve the surprise until it was officially announced; you act like he personally slapped the mother of every active WoW subscriber.

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels too soon imo. MoP is still pretty fresh. I'd expect something around the 3rd tier.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    If they follow their usual pattern, were not gonna see the next expansion until late 2014. MoP really isn't that old.
    They said they can release new content faster now, and 5.3 is almost here and brings no new content, except a few dailies. 5.4 will most likely come soon after and it may be the last content patch, unless 5.5 will come too and offer a new raid so people don't have to raid Orgrimmar 6 months, similar to Ruby Sanctum. Late 2014 release is EXTREMELY unlikely. Early 2014 release would make more sense, though it would be TOO SOON after Blizzcon (assuming it gets announced there) if you like to follow their patterns.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    They said they can release new content faster now, and 5.3 is almost here and brings no new content, except a few dailies. 5.4 will most likely come soon after and it may be the last content patch, unless 5.5 will come too and offer a new raid so people don't have to raid Orgrimmar 6 months, similar to Ruby Sanctum. Late 2014 release is EXTREMELY unlikely. Early 2014 release would make more sense, though it would be TOO SOON after Blizzcon (assuming it gets announced there) if you like to follow their patterns.
    5.3 doesnt have any dailies, it involves a new storyline and a series of new stuff, specially for pvp. Also Im goin to agree with some ppl, usually trademakers are 2 to 3 months before the actual event. This doesnt mean its goin to be the case, but its our best bet, cant really quote anyone on it because the speed in which this expac is flowing is pretty smooth/fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    anyone have the link to that old supposed Blizzard project timeline? It had all the alleged planned expansions listed on it. If I recall correctly (which it is a bit hazy, since it was some time ago that I saw the timeline,) I believe the Emerald Dream was next in line.

I found it but it doesn't have expansion names on it, so I must be mixing it with another supposed release sheet in my foggy recollection.
    This thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    @Cows For Life

No, not that thing. This was some deal that listed actual expansions and was hilariously changed after the fact to fit in with new realities. There are some links to it earlier in the thread. It was over on the Allakhazam site.

Obligatory wish for Blizzard, when they go to trademark the next expansion, to trademark half a dozen names both possible and ridiculous to troll everyone. Would go far to make up for the <satire> lacklustre slap-in-the-face </satire> effort on the first of April this year. Go ahead. Trademark "Emerald Dream", "Gators of Un'Goro" and other things. Will be fun to watch.

More seriously, I agree with most everyone else: still very early and much earlier than usual. With Blizzcon in late fall this year it could be September or later. Unless it isn't and they pull the trigger early. Which is possible. Just because they've never done it doesn't mean they never will.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-05-02 at 05:52 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I agree completely, it would be cool if they can trademark a few names, just to stir theories and discussion. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Gators of Un'Goro would be awesome.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally, they wait until pretty close to announcement before they register the trademarks for an expansion.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    If they follow their usual pattern, were not gonna see the next expansion until late 2014. MoP really isn't that old.
    We're not going to be playing MoP until late 2014, the story content will not last that long and they'd be dumb for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvanir View Post
    In early August 2011 Mists of Pandaria was trademarked and in late October it was confirmed to be the new expansion at Blizzcon.
    So i guess the trademark of the next expansion will surface in early August this year since this years Blizzcon is in early November.
    And of course there will be idiots that will yell that the trademark is not about the next expansion of WoW.
    MoP was actually leaked several months before that, just no one barely paid it any attention.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Why should we expect any leaked information right now? It's actually not unusual at all at this stage of the expansion life cycle to have no information yet.

The first inkling we had of Mists of Pandaria was when Blizzard trademarked the name on August 2, 2011, roughly 3 months before the official announcement at Blizzcon on October 21st.
    Cataclysm was trademarked around Jul 1st 2009 and was officially announced at Blizzcon 2009 on August 21st, only 1 1/2 months later.
    Wrath of the Lich King was trademarked around July 28, 2007 and officially announced at Blizzcon 2007 on August 3, 2007-- no gap at all.

Assuming the timeframe holds true, we should expect the new expansion name to be trademarked in September at the earliest, roughly 3 months before the official announcement at Blizzcon in November.

Additionally, Cataclysm launched on December 7, 2010, 9 months before "Mists of Pandaria" was trademarked.
    Wrath of the Lich King launched on November 13, 2008, 9 months before "Cataclysm" was trademarked.
    Burning Crusade launched on January 16, 2007, and Wrath of the Lich King was trademarked 8 months later.
    Mists has only been out for 7 months, it'll be 9 months old in June.
    So, I don't expect anything on the new expansion until the end of May or June at the earliest.

Right now, the two "patterns" don't line up perfectly, and that's fine-- it gives us a nice, wide window of June-September for the likely time for the trademark (assuming that we should apply slightly more weight to the 8-9 months between expansion launch and next expansion trademark since it's more consistent).

Friendly reminder that I was only one week off on my prediction of Mists' official launch date months before it was announced by looking at Blizzard's timing patterns just like this.

So, I know it feels like we should have something by now, but don't worry, it's not actually "late." A little patience!
    I thought that a moderator would know better.
    in fact mop was leaked in 2011 on this forum, yes on mmo-champion i can't find the topic because it was deleted most likely but here's the proof
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3341758764 posted on: 10/13/2011

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laumex View Post
    I thought that a moderator would know better.
    in fact mop was leaked in 2011 on this forum, yes on mmo-champion i can't find the topic because it was deleted most likely but here's the proof
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3341758764 posted on: 10/13/2011
    I only remember two 5.0 leaks. one being Vengeance of the Void, another being essentially evil houjin on Alliance, tushui on Horde.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)