Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncano View Post
    So I'm a mesmer in a mid-sized WvW guild, so I'm still searching for a good build. I'm currently trying this one:

confusion & condition damage
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgUQNAr...oay0koJbTumkNB

Also, I don't have much time to farm dungeons for gear n gold, so I have an exotic Knight's set, I have quite low HP about 16k, which is manageable, but sometimes not. :P So, my guild is mostly using melee train tactics and I feel akward in the middle of action, I manage to kill 2-3 guys each attack and I average on about 10-12 badges per hour.

Any tips? Ideally, I'd like a build that could be used in smaller groups at the same time.
    You could try Shatter Cat Heavy build:

Build link: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAs...qYMxIixGjLGZMA

Quote Originally Posted by from GW2 forum
    Shatter Cat Heavy build
    A shatter dmg build, not to be confused with pure tank setups that other classes run.

This is a dps build that is made to be in the frontline, capable of deliver bursts and sustained dmg. It come to its fully right played in a small team of 2-3 players or as raid leader leading from the front.

Like all of my builds it this have a game plan a role and a purpose. For The Shatter Cat heavy this plan is to maximize staff defensive usage. The traits give low cd on all staff skills, build have also two extra glamour field who serve 3 purposes. One is to lesser the need of vitality by make it less condition vulnerable, another is to give extra chaos armor and finally it give some extra confusion stacking from the pistol phantasm. With 28 sec cd on chaos armor and chaos storm, 3 glamour fields to apply chaos armor trough blink + leap the defensive uptime is incredible. Also add shatter immunity’s, high toughness and great mobility you have a spec who not only survive on the frontline, with high precision and crit dmg the spec will be a threat to most classes. It come to its rights best in small teams when you play with another dmg dealer.

In group play you want to draw attention, for bigger fights you should change 3% dmg / clone to reflection.

Characteristics:
    • MH Sword for leap (extra chaos armor, mobility and cc.) and dmg immunity
    • OH Pistol for cc and dmg
    • Staff core of the build
    • Big chaos armor uptime
    • High crit chance and toughness.

Geared for active defense, toughtness is more important than vitality. With lesser crit dmg but high crit chance thru knight gear is use bloodlust sigil instead of precision.
    Sigils:
    OH - Pistol OH with Sigil of generosity: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil_of_Generosity
    MH – Sword with Sigil of force: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil_of_Force
    Staff – Sigil of Bloodlust: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil_of_Bloodlust
    Runes:
    - Rune of Air 6/6: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_the_Air
    Gear:
    - 2/6 Knight's, 3/6 Berserker's and 1/6 Valkyrie
    Trinkets:
    - Amulet: Valkyrie
    - Ring1: Knight's
    - Ring2: Fractal tought/crit
    - Accessory1: Berserker's
    - Accessory2: Knight's
    Weapons:
    - Staff: Berserker's
    - MH sword: Berserker's
    - OH pistol Knight's
    ~source of the build

There are also 3 other builds, but this "tanky" version might be easiest for you to get gear vise (aka it uses Knith's that you already have):

Personally I am going towards Shatter Cat Phantasm Hybrid build and this would fit better for combat situations you described, but for that you need more Berserker's gear.

(see the gw2 forum link above for details about this build)
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2013-01-29 at 08:01 PM.

Deleted

Getting back into Mesmer

So today i decided to reinstall GW2 and start playing again, after not playing for quite a long time. I quit just after the game came out, only playing for about 3 weeks and i hit around level 40, problem is, i dont have a clue how to play it anymore!

Im going to do some research, but does anyone have any hints / tips on the mesmer playstyle for an old scrub? Any help would be much appreciated, dying to jump straight back into the game!

<3 love

I would suggest going with a staff and sword/focus. Then go with a shatter build. Start putting traits into Dueling first (for the trait that creates a clone when you dodge), then Illusions, then Domination.

Staff for leveling is solid and safe even though it is a bit slower than most other professions. Definitely pick up the deceptive evasion trait, it is a huge qol improvement and frees up a lot of different playstyles.

Does anyone know of a really really good confusion build?

Mesmer
    Illusionary Counter: The range of the reactive part of this ability is now consistent with its indicated range.
    Mesmer Portals can no longer be interacted with when there is an obstruction between them and the player.
    Mind Stab: This skill will now hit up to three targets.
    Illusionary Riposte: The reactionary strike that occurs when this skill blocks an attack now has the correct distance of the ability instead of half the distance. Added a ranged fact to this skill.
    Mirror: This healing skill now applies reflection for 2 seconds instead of 1.
    The Prestige: This ability is no longer channeled and will automatically detonate 3 seconds after the ability is used.
    Mirror is now good, prestige change is good but is useless when current flying projectiles break stealth when you activate stealth.

Mind stab is for 1h sword and portal change is for things that would cause obstruction (not los)

The sad thing is when I read that bit about portals I thought, "No, how will I help my bf with jumping puzzles now?!" ;P Since you said it doesn't affect LOS hopefully we'll be okay!

Nice @ Mind Stab. I was already thinking of trying a 1H sword build so that just makes it better.

Buffs to scepter block? And offhand sword block? Cool. Mirror change? Fucking awesome.

It's now easier to hit inanimate objects on the ground? About fucking time. Prestige being cool? Yeeeeeeeeaaaah.

Portal change…? So is that effectively making Portal bombing a Keep fucking useless now?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

No portal bombing is still viable

10+ Year Old Account
    I nearly back flipped at the buff of 4 of my favorite Mesmer abilities (mirror, both blocks, AND prestige in one patch? This makes me happy =D!)

Can someone tell me what the portal one actually -did-? Because personally I have no idea, AT ALL, and this upsets me...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

It means that if you can't see the portal but do get the cogwheel thingy you no longer can use the portal.

Ppl used to put portal on one side of a wall and ppl from the other side were able to click it (two times) and then end up at the other side of the wall, which wasn't intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    It means that if you can't see the portal but do get the cogwheel thingy you no longer can use the portal.

Ppl used to put portal on one side of a wall and ppl from the other side were able to click it (two times) and then end up at the other side of the wall, which wasn't intended.
    So you just need to see the portal that you're about to jump through? I'm ok with this!
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Change my phantasm build after finding out chaos armor is a piece of crap since it isn't procing protection.

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...J-O429-13;247n

Utility consists of boon removing, condition removing, CC with slows and knockbacks, regeneration, and whirl finisher for things like leeching bolts and healing bolts and reflection.

Most of the time you will be using focus, because it has the best damage for aoe and reflects projectiles there will be cases where you won't need reflect or aoe in which you switch to offhand sword. Or if you are confident your warden won't die keep focus on because whirl finisher + massive damage pretty much owns offhand sword. (I still consider offhand sword a piece of crap in terms of overall usefulness).

10+ Year Old Account
    Portal chimes played in reverse is the Guild Wars 2 theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W0sCcbA7GQ
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Portal chimes played in reverse is the Guild Wars 2 theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W0sCcbA7GQ
    Great, now I have to figure out how to go into the game sound files, find portal, and figure out how to play it backwards....

So I am completely over the OP phantasm spec for both wvw and PvE. Playing around with focus in dungeons I noticed whirl finisher, is the most overpowered thing in the universe and we have one on potential 15 sec cd. Messing around I combined our combo fields with it and noticed I can get a 10-12 stack of confusion on mobs with whirl finisher. Combine that with a shatter after whirl finishes then scepter death beam that is a total of...... 20-23 stacks of confusion.

Though stacking pure condition damage is no good with a mesmer (it's best to have both) so here is a new build:

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...;9;9;3N;9V6-6I

With this you will have shit ton of toughness, 1600ish power, 50% crit, 70% phantasm crit, and 600 condition damage (condition damage cap is around 1200).

With a 5 stack of confusion, it will hit for around 1200 an activation which is pretty good.

The goal here is to combo field - whirl finisher - shatter. Iwarden bolts should hit foes a bit away and if he makes direct contact (which most of the time he does in pve) that will get a 10-12 stack of bleeds going as well, a long with it's base damage increased by your power.

Iwarden also offers defensive purposes with reflect. With curtain and feedback you have 3 reflects so range mobs shouldn't be an issue.

Staff is there for bleed stacking when shatter is down and for defensive purposes. Whirl finisher also works with others like healing bolts with ele's or cleansing with guardians.

I'm going to like this build very much.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-05-02 at 12:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, idk why i thought that the phantasm that used Whirling Defense WASNT a whirl finisher... i know i ran a ranger build on a similar theme of "Kill them with Whirls!!".

Keep in mind that the little bolts it throws out have a small (i mean freaking small) splash effect when they hit the floor/an enemy that will cause the effect to everything around it as well and that each Whirl sends out 2 bolts, one tends to fly straight into the target, the other tends to go out randomly!

Have fun Zito!

PS: We need to PvP together sometime, that was a very fun experience xD

Keep in mind that the little bolts it throws out have a small (i mean freaking small) splash effect when they hit the floor/an enemy that will cause the effect to everything around it as well and that each Whirl sends out 2 bolts, one tends to fly straight into the target, the other tends to go out randomly!
    Yea it's not amazing, I usually get between a 5-12 stack if warden doesn't die.

PS: We need to PvP together sometime, that was a very fun experience xD
    Of me winning!

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The goal here is to combo field - whirl finisher - shatter.
    Just to be clear, you lay down a field, pop Iwarden, scepter zap, and profit? My mesmer's only 16 and I'm not familiar with their fields or finishers, so please pardon the n00bness. I'm trying to see if this is something I can utilize while leveling. Do you just cycle through staff5, null field, and feedback each encounter or..?

This skill is in fact doing full damage in our testing. The bug seems to be damage floater related where not all floaters appear on this skill.
    Jon
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...xed-this-patch
    Video (sorry forgot to unmute sound): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wbG...ature=youtu.be
    Number of hits:
    Jon needs to fire whoever is doing their "testing" because for the 3rd time in a row their testing has been proven wrong. Izerker is specified to hit 4 times.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Just to be clear, you lay down a field, pop Iwarden, scepter zap, and profit? My mesmer's only 16 and I'm not familiar with their fields or finishers, so please pardon the n00bness. I'm trying to see if this is something I can utilize while leveling. Do you just cycle through staff5, null field, and feedback each encounter or..?
    Staff5 should be used above all else if you are starting with staff as it adds block to your phantasms daze to foes giving your warden more time to whirl. After that it's whatever you need the most.