Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    You obviously didn't play a locks then. TARGET DUMMIES FTW!!!. Nobody went and killed "40+ level appropriate mobs" XD

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 04:52 AM ----------

Locks aren't rare anymore.

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 05:04 AM ----------

There is no possible way that priests are beating locks in the FOTM battle...
    This made me lol a bit. Simply false on all 3 accounts. We've never been rarer than we are now. And from a PVP perspective nobody would bring a warlock if they could've had a shadowpriest. And target dummies didn't even exist back then, as many have pointed out. I lol'd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    You just made someone really sad.

Poor eye of Kil'rogg Atleast the green fire event gave him a moment to shine!

I think it is pretty safe to assume that next expansion we will get a lot of what we got in MoP taken back one way or the other. Moving while casting for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    You obviously didn't play a locks then. TARGET DUMMIES FTW!!!. Nobody went and killed "40+ level appropriate mobs" XD[COLOR="red"]
    Others have already said it, but ill add it. Your a moron.

No, target dummies didnt exist for a long time. YES i farmed 40+ soul shards a night because i was an officer in my guild and in an effort to get 40 people pointed in the right direction as quickly as possible i would farm the shards and summon the people as quickly as we could to increase our effective raid time for the jerks who logged in at the last minute and would 'summon pls'. This was even before mages had portals other people could use, before flight in old content, before even 'very fast' ground mounts. and Yes, my main character, a warlock has existed since the first day of wow (Actually in public beta).

The soul shards could only be gotten by tagging a green or better mob with souldrain as it died.

Infracted for flaming
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-05-06 at 02:01 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    Others have already said it, but ill add it. Your a moron.

No, target dummies didnt exist for a long time. YES i farmed 40+ soul shards a night because i was an officer in my guild and in an effort to get 40 people pointed in the right direction as quickly as possible i would farm the shards and summon the people as quickly as we could to increase our effective raid time for the jerks who logged in at the last minute and would 'summon pls'. This was even before mages had portals other people could use, before flight in old content, before even 'very fast' ground mounts. and Yes, my main character, a warlock has existed since the first day of wow (Actually in public beta).

The soul shards could only be gotten by tagging a green or better mob with souldrain as it died.
    I think he's a lost cause tbh Shodan30... You either played a warlock back then or you didn't. Clearly Seezer didn't.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=MegaNew;20999020
    I remember becoming a warlock because I liked the soulshard farming. .

The gathering of soulshards. (Am I the only one who missed farming em?)
    [/QUOTE]

Are you nuts? (and I mean that in the most respectful and nicest possible way :P)

Soul Shards took up an entire bag. You needed them for soul wells, lock portals, soul fires, etc. For raiding they were a real pain in the butt.
    Having to leave ICC mid raid to farm up some more. No thanks.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    There has always been the occasional periods when a class will become OP and get a bunch of people rolling them just because they think they can faceroll to the top of the list. we may have shined in 5.0-5.1 pretty well because suddenly we were given so much in terms of flexability but the 5.2 nerfs really dulled the attraction as the same dps numbers really require more work to reach now.
    I wouldn't say it's that bad now, sure you can't just channel MG super hard and top the charts like you could in 5.0-5.1 but Destro still puts out very high numbers. So does Aff when you get the right trinkets and the meta and some higher ilvl gear. We're not weak in terms of DPS at all. And as for requiring more work, I'd say Destro is even simpler to play.

We got a lot of changes in MoP so a lot of people tried the class out I think. Plus we really were OP in 5.0-5.1 PVE-wise. There will always be a FOTM class, always always always. And I don't have data to back it up but it does feel like locks are a bit more popular than they used to be. And for RBGs, locks aren't a bad choice, there are other classes shunned for them, and Spriests are getting nerfed in 5.3 anyways, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Are you nuts? (and I mean that in the most respectful and nicest possible way :P)

Soul Shards took up an entire bag. You needed them for soul wells, lock portals, soul fires, etc. For raiding they were a real pain in the butt.
    Having to leave ICC mid raid to farm up some more. No thanks.
    I'm not nuts ;w; ! Apparently I was the only one who liked it. Having the soulshard bag and needing it to use my other pets ;w;!!!
    Maybe it's nostalgia.. and usually with nostalgia its something good until you get it back (The other day I was watching courage the cowardly dog because I missed it so much and realized how bad it is to me now.)

Deleted
    I don't miss Soul Shard Farming, but I do sure miss Soul Shards.

I miss having a Spellstone that made us immune to magic. OH YOU ARE A MAGE? WELL HELLO BREAKFAST.

I do for sure not miss handing out health stones or having to spend shards on the summon of lazy raid members (I specced for them as the only person, so only Tanks got mine. Everyone else had to potion juggle).

Most of all I miss having DoTs as a Warlock. Destruction right now has a single DoT aside from GoSac Chaos Bolt 3s DoT. The class feeling has been utterly destroyed in MoP, but they managed to do the same to pretty much all their classes. I miss unique Hunter pets (now they are buffbots) as much as I miss the original Paladin DPS idea of short buff -> smite it -> short other buff -> smite it.

Not to mention Frost DK Tanks. Man that was fun. Dropped DK when it got removed.

Not all was great in Vanilla and TBC, but at least it wasn't boring "more-of-the-same"

Deleted
    lol i remember back in vanilla while raiding aq40, having to go outside the raid instance to farm shars coz we were all out after having to summon half the raid to fankriss after they all died during the gauntlet run up to him, good times indeed.

well xaragoth, it kinda was more of the same, they just had a lot less of it, it was still dungeons, raids and pvp, and its still dungeons, raids and pvp, oh and dailies, atelast now you have things to do, back then half the time was spent looking for a group for a dungeon, which was time you could have used for other things, if there were other things you could have it on which there wasnt. i will agree with that the classes have gotten a bit simplistic, atleast i think locks have but in a way that is a good thing coz it means that it isnt as punishing when you make a mistake or something similar and im having more fun playing my lock than i ever had b4, well maybe not in tbc but that was purely bcoz of the imba dmg we did back then, we definately have more tools to use and i think the skillcap to play your class perfectly is higher now but that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    This made me lol a bit. Simply false on all 3 accounts. We've never been rarer than we are now. And from a PVP perspective nobody would bring a warlock if they could've had a shadowpriest. And target dummies didn't even exist back then, as many have pointed out. I lol'd

Poor eye of Kil'rogg Atleast the green fire event gave him a moment to shine!
    Never been rarer than we are now? There are more warlocks now than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I wasn't aware warlock ever was FotM, at least not since the end of BC. They haven't really been the strongest class since, and they've always been one of the least played classes overall. I'm not sure how that qualifies as FotM. And yes, you're probably the only one that misses gathering soul shards.
    Warlock has been the best PvE DPS class for 2 tiers running now...only barely touched by Mages occasionally.

I feel you. i've played hunter since the end of wotlk, and the fact that so many rerolls (most were probably rogues) came to the hunter class because of a GOD DAMN BUG, (stampede) makes me so angry, especially when all they knew how to do (and some still) was backpedal, stampede, detterence. /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    I feel you. i've played hunter since the end of wotlk, and the fact that so many rerolls (most were probably rogues) came to the hunter class because of a GOD DAMN BUG, (stampede) makes me so angry, especially when all they knew how to do (and some still) was backpedal, stampede, detterence. /facepalm
    Yeah, it's so funny. These rerolls always walk into warlock forums and ask "Should I roll a lock or a mage?". Knowing in the lock forum, ppl are going to tell them what they want to hear.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm considering making my lock one of my "main alts" jsut because I like it. I don't care how good/bad it is, it's a pure dps and it's a warlock, it can't never be bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Never been rarer than we are now? There are more warlocks now than ever.
    I have no links to back it up...

But one of the reasons they gave us a complete revamp, did a green fire quest for us and constantly talk about how underrepresented we are, is that we're rare. The fact that they go through extraordinary lengths to try and up our representation in the class balance speaks louder than any statistics. But if you have statistics showing that we're in the top 3 of most played classes, then I'd like to see it. Last I heard we were pretty far down.

5/5 of my warlock friends quit the game over the last expansion, but that could be an isolated case. I doubt it is though.

I have had a warlock since forever, but never played it as my main. I picked it up again in MoP because I wanted to see how they changed the class, since it felt extremely clunky at the end of WotLK/Start of Cata. Another big reason was the green fire quest line too though, and it was worth every cent I spent on it, plus I came to like the class along the way as well.

I don't think it's a FotM syndrome, I think it's a matter of people trying out the class once more after the changes, and then perhaps finding out that they enjoy the class more in it's current form than they did before.

I have noticed I play my warlock the least out of my 11 90's. To me the warlock has nothing unique and exciting that the other pure dps have. I have noticed alot of hunters this xpac though. Warlocks seems the same amount since cata (very little). I think warlocks are being noticed this xpac due to their dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSerialSniper View Post
    I have noticed I play my warlock the least out of my 11 90's. To me the warlock has nothing unique and exciting that the other pure dps have. I have noticed alot of hunters this xpac though. Warlocks seems the same amount since cata (very little). I think warlocks are being noticed this xpac due to their dps.
    Our dps isn't better this xpac than it has been in any of the others, relative to the other classes'. We've almost always been at the top or atleast close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Our dps isn't better this xpac than it has been in any of the others, relative to the other classes'. We've almost always been at the top or atleast close to it.
    This. I thought I would chime in an give a non-warlocks PoV:

I've never played one until recently and I've been around the game since Naxx/wotlk release. I've always felt (on my druid/paladin) that "oh, I did very well in terms of my own play, but he had the edge because he's X" as far as Skada/recount goes, with X often being a warlock or a Mage. Any recent rise in warlock popularity wouldn't have much to do with how well they are doing in dps becahse they've always even good, it's always been an incentive to make one, but not the big reason to now.

I'd say it has a fair bit to do with just a couple of things. First being the ease of play and quality of life differences coming about lately with the soul shard stuff and other things that have been mentioned. Warlocks used to be seen (in my eyes at least) as a class that would require a lot of work to keep up with, especially as a pure.

Second, the games getting old, and people are getting bored/getting into alts more. I recently made a lock and got it to 83 just to try it, and I'm loving it. I've never played a lock in wrath or cata but whatever all these gameplay differences some of you love and some of you hate are, I can dig it. I've never played much of a ranged/caster role (15 days played on Mage, raided DS, 16 days on hunter, raided DS - compared to 175 split between my druid and paladin) so that's also exciting to me. It is fun not being so limited by resources or ability CDs or combo-point-style requirements. If I'm out of energy, or have no CPs, if CS and everything is on cool down and have no HP, then I'm doing nothing for a few seconds, but not on my caster. Even Mage can get reliant on stuff (ignite/combust/heating up as fire, mana as arcane) but not here, or at least destro and aff like I've played.

So wrapping it up, maybe it's just a few QoL changes, maybe it's just bored players re-rolling, and maybe it is that desire to be OP or green fire, but I'd bet on the first two.

Cheers,
    Regen.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.