Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    And you know what's worse than trading? Starting a war but then ending up in a worse place than you started. .
    Which is why people generally shoot to win

---------- Post added 2013-05-05 at 02:48 AM ----------

Which it sounds like the Horde will be when this is over, if kosak's comments ring true.
    which is another reason im not too happy bout the current story-line
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    "What does war matter to the crippled, homeless and orphans if the war is fought in the name of tryanny or the holy name of freedom and democracy"
    “Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people don't want war neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”

The RTS games are the root of the countless old hatrds and grivences between the factions
    That's my understanding. Maybe one day I'll go back and play them, (RTS generally aren't my cup of tea however)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    read it all, twice
    Kinda that look you get when you hear that East and North are playing, or when Kapaun and Bishop Carroll are playing?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”
    hahah, nice Herman Goring quote

But in a way why leaders fight seems somewhat petty. For greed and lust for power and jeously and what not, cept they are playing with the lives of thousands of people, in which ill use another quote

"Emperors and cobblers are of the same mold, the same reasons that make us fight with our neighboors spark wars between princes"
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Which is why people generally shoot to win

---------- Post added 2013-05-05 at 02:48 AM ----------

which is another reason im not too happy bout the current story-line
    Yes, but is it ultimately a good thing when you DON'T win? When whatever short term gain you get through captured resources is outweighed by what you have to spend in the war, the lives lost on both sides, and the fact that in the end you've lost and that new-found power diminished back to below where it started? Even if you go by an 'ends justifies the means' approach, you still have to have the ends turn out well or it doesn't justify anything. In this case, even if you justify Garrosh trying to drive the night elves from their land so his people can prosper, when that attempt fails and the Horde ends up weaker in the end for it, is it still a justified or good thing to have done?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    In this case, even if you justify Garrosh trying to drive the night elves from their land so his people can prosper, when that attempt fails and the Horde ends up weaker in the end for it, is it still a justified or good thing to have done?
    No war is ever good if you lose.
    Even as you said, you end up losing more than what you set out to gain, its still better to lose that much but still win the war, because if you lose the war you will end up losing even more, usually.
    Last edited by Dreknar20; 2013-05-05 at 04:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I will agree with your points Traask. The Alliance just seems to have less of a story compared to the Horde, but more than that the Horde's "focused story" isn't even that good. The pumping out of new Pandaren themed battlegrounds is actually more depressing because it just goes to show exactly how far both the Alliance and Horde will go in their own desecrations on a land and continent that both factions see as "ripe for the picking." It's not even good story telling when they let us get so attached to the Pandaren and their lore only to see the factions we apparently represent burn, rape and pillage it to the ground over, and I quote Taran zhu here, our filthy race-war.

Granted, without the aid of the Alliance and Horde "heroes" (that's us) the sha would have eventually returned, even without the massive negative emotion influence we brought with us. Also us not coming to Pandaria would have meant the Thunderking would have been able to easily defeat the Shado-pan without the aid of the Kirin-tor and the Sunreavers. But at the end of the day, when looking at the destruction of part of the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, the tearing down of the statue in Jade Forest, and the countless careless things we have done in our clumsy, child-like arrival, is it worth it?

Atleast for me, it is not. Infact to me, it would have been a better story if we had another expansion before Pandaria, and went to the misty continent after the Thunderking made his foothold. Atleast then it would make the Alliance and Horde look honorable in saving the innocent race from a dictator.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

ANd lets not forget what you and I agreed on a LONG time ago Trassk...

...in the end of the day, the Horde/Alliance conflict will NEVER end as Metzen/Blizz has made this the core base of the game. This is why putting the conflict as the main part of the MMORPG story SUCKS... it doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong... in the end we'll still be fighting against each other next expansion and 20 expansions from now.

In WoW, the war between Horde/Alliance ONLY works as a background element with fleeting touches (such as wrathgate). it should NEVER be the focus of an expansion/storyline as, by definition, one side will NEVER truly win.

Garrosh goes, but the horde will be fine. Alliance won't get their territories back, and a new orc or whomever will step in his place. And we start the cycle ALL OVER AGAIN... sigh...

Eff the damn war! Just let us fight over who gets to kill the Titans, Undead, Demons and whatever else they throw at us. THAT is far more fun! Leave the "war" to PVP... leave the story/world development to PVE.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-05-05 at 05:25 AM.

TBH I believe the faction war should be the only major war in the game and the dragons, old gods, etc should be second fiddle

I would love to see the war swing both ways patch to patch never knowing who is winning the war

One patch the horde destroys an alliance town and the next patch the alliance obliterates a horde town in retaliation

All this 'lets be friends' never lasts cause azeroth isnt big enough for there to be coexistence

At the end of the day the cheesy george lucas good guys and bad guys joining together to fight the big bad has been done to death and cant keep being rehashed and with the faction war it keeps the flame wars going on the forums and keeps things fresh just like how your favourite sports team plays there hated local rival each year and you pay cause you want to see them beaten even though you know deep down that cant happen indefinitely
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2013-05-05 at 07:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Yus. I've come to the realization that, while theres still that feeling I have about still thinking of the horde as my faction, I've come to realize its based upon what I use to like about the horde, and in a strange way, what I respected about the alliance.
    From WC3 to Wrath days, I actually enjoyed the faction conflict, the sense of pride in my own faction, but also that sense of balance with the other. And lets be honest here, i think many of us did as well.

So many threads these days is spoken out from the alliance at the dissatisfaction with the current lore, and losing there own sense of faction identity. Likewise, as horde, I don't feel any sense of pride in my faction anymore given all the current crap its gone though under Garrosh. From wc3 to wrath days, the horde felt like a unified group of misfits finding a common ground, and the odd quirks in there races didn't matter, the real feel of the faction came from its honor to each other.

Nowadays, the horde is split apart and the racial sense of togetherness has eroded, orcs and trolls/tauren are no longer friends but fighting one another. And the alliance keeps wanting to feel any sense of faction pride it once use to feel, but never gets.

And all this steamed from cataclysm, when the world was remade and the fundemental changes made to the horde and alliance caused these changes, you know the ones, those that people thought were so cool because they shook up the status-quo? Its not done you any good now has it?

Infact the only ones who have gotten anything out of any of this are those who just like to see things burn and bad shit happening.

Am I the only one that wishes cataclysm never happened, and all this misplaced storytelling was cast off? I've never felt more detached from the faction i use to love playing as, and I don't see any faction pride left even on the other side of the fence.

---------- Post added 2013-04-29 at 12:00 AM ----------

Edit: Infact the only satisfaction I've had storywise in mists has come from the pandaren, and not the faction based sides, just those in pandaria. I see the new battleground they made set in valley of the four winds, and instead of wooting for faction pride, all I think is 'oh god, what are these dumb fu**s doing now?'
    Well man, while have mixed emotions about this, i agree with you and i understand your feeling about it. First, let's say that in some ways i like the current situation because, as you said, helped to develop some good characters, even some that weren't important at all, and give to the Horde storyline that kind of tension and crisis that, while a punch in the face for the pride and "affection" many of us had for the faction, it's escalation brougth to a clash, both physical and ideological, on what is the true meaning of the Horde, something so important that is even worth spilling the blood of the ones that you called brothers, but that now choose a completely different way to use that word. And this is somehow a chance for fight for the lost pride, for regain it and be like a "herald" of the true Horde.

But, in the same time, i cannot deny that i liked the Horde-Alliance war much more as it was before Cata. There was hate, distrust, but still understanding that some threats required a combined force. There was clashes and brawls all around the world, proving that peace was not on the fingertips, still no one wanted to destroy the other faction, no one wanted to waste lives and resources in obliterate the other to death, nor there was a real interest about it.
    Both factions had interesting quests all regarding their own matters, others focused on their personal way to conduct the important campaigns against a common enemy (like in Outland and Northrend) still were common big and violent world pvp events, or even occasional face-off.

And these were the times where the Horde was like it used to be, savage and even aggressive, but never brutal or warmongering. There was pride in being a force "united against a world that want to put you down" and the feeling for the Horde player was not of destroying the Alliance, but just defending himself against them, show them that i was holding with nails and tooth my fucking place in the world despite all the hate or the disgust they could have, and in case they would harm or kill my brethren, vengeance would be bloody. While the Alliance of course wasn't hating you all the time, was the right mindset of the Horde character and player when doing pvp, and was great, because brought that strong pride on your faction.

But now how can you have the same feeling, when is YOUR faction that is trying to put down the rest of the world ? You just feel more ashamed than proud, and if not ashamed, not even proud at all. While the tag of "bad guys" was nothing more than the prejudice of the Alliance, now this tag is very hard to drop, in fact, while nearly all the recent Horde actions have some kind justification, nothing can change the fact that we are the outright aggressors, and the Alliance are the ones that try to defend themselves. While i'm not the better person for understand Alliance feelings, i guess that this situation is bad for them too, because as the Horde are ever more the "bad guys", the story is going to place a gigantic tag that say "GOOD GUYS", while they don't even want to be the good guys, they just want to be Alliance, and play their characters for all the ideals, the reasons and the matters they have as Alliance players.

I hope something for the post-5.4 events, but for some reason i fear the worse.

EDIT: one of the best moments of Horde-Alliance joined forces was the Might of Kalimdor, with Saurfang giving THAT speech (was like poetry in a world of wars and blood) and the commander of the 7th legion saying "I am with you until I gasp my last dying breath.", with all the Alliance commanders yelling and cheering...damn, that was powerful.
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2013-05-06 at 03:00 AM.