Question Mirror Image agro problem

I thought mirror image agro adds, to keep adds away from you. I have notice my mirror image no longer have any agro. Has anyone else notice this?
    Please comment.

Mirror Images for a long time haven't worked like that, instead they make enemies ignore your current aggro, and think that it is 0. And if there aint anything else on the aggro table than you, the mobs are still going to be attacking you, they should aggro the mobs instead of you after a while. Though it is not instant anymore as it used to be.

Feel free to correct me, if I didn't explain it correctly or am wrong on something^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they basicly make mobs not attack you by 'removing' your agro or removing you from the table (not sure which one), however, if you are on your own and use the mirror images the mob will target those instead of you, which makes it handy sometimes to have som extra dps time on say an elite mob or whatever That is my experience anyway.

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Lately mobs still attack me and not the mirror image. It looks like they have 0 agro.

Quote Originally Posted by ecape View Post
    Lately mobs still attack me and not the mirror image. It looks like they have 0 agro.
    I play several hours a day and I have not had the issue you are referring to. I'm not discounting you but just pointing out that there have been no unusual changes to Mirror Image.

Something to consider... Are you aggroing, then popping Mirror Image? Or are you popping Mirror Image, then aggroing the mob? There may not be any difference but it's something to consider.

Somehow you can't get aggro when mirror image is out. At least that's my experience. On Dark Animus I accidently popped my mirror images pre-pull and couldn't get aggro of the small golem.

A lot of random confusion in here so let me set it straight.

Firstly, Mirror Image spell does not add or remove any threat. It does not alter your overall threat in any way. The best way to describe its mechanic is probably as a "Threat Mask". Basically, it temporarily hides your threat (it doesn't remove it or change it) for the duration of the spell.

The MIs themselves also do not add/remove threat, i.e. they do not taunt and/or use high threat attacks on targets. The way they work is actually pretty simple.

If you are in a group and/or the mob there is someone else fighting with you, when you pop MI, your threat will be hidden and set to zero. At that point, the target will make a b-line straight for your ally, and unless the ally uses a threat altering mechanic of his own, the mob will stick on him till the MIs are done.

If you are alone and pop MIs, you will have a 1 in 4 chance of getting aggro. With no one else on the threat table, the mob will pick between you and your 3 images and attack. The 3/4 chance of survival is actually why, sometimes, even if you pop MIs when alone, the mob will sometimes still target you. Obviously, if they do target you and you invis (which is an actual threat wipe), the mob will go to the MIs. This is also why MI isn't basically a taunt, i.e. the MIs themselves aren't altering threat in any way.

And really.. that's it. There is nothing else mechanics wise that is taking place.

One last thing, when the spell does fade, your real threat is restored. Remember, MI doesn't remove threat, it just temporarily hides it.
    "There are very few who can claim what he can. There are even fewer who can prove it like he can. There are even less that can match him, but all will no doubt accept what he is, and what he can do. The Highlord is for sure one of a kind. A true Master of the Arcane arts. It would be best for you to listen."
    - Lady Nåabi of the Immortalis, former Guild Executor, former Raid Lead.

In a solo situation, it also depends on how many mobs you're attacking. 1v1, the threat dump will cause the enemy to attack your images because their damage will place them higher on the aggro table. If, however, you're attacking several enemies at once and then you pop MI, they may continue to attack you if nothing else has aggro'd them (i.e. done any damage to them).

Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    If you are alone and pop MIs, you will have a 1 in 4 chance of getting aggro.
    Not true, mirror image temporarily modifies your threat by -90000000 so you should never get aggro unless the images die and nothing else is attacking.

I believe they are pretty much like described, copies of you. They take on your threat and agro table. It temprorarly sets your threat to 0, however when its done all your threat from before and during the mirror images returns. If you use mirror images before you attack something and have 0 threat then the images will have 0 threat just like yourself and the mob will attack the closest target which could be you. The mobs always finish their swing too even if you drop threat mid swing. If you agro additional mobs while mirror images are up and they don't attack that target they will not be the threat table and the mob will ignore them and focus on you.

10+ Year Old Account
    They only significant change I've noticed recently is that the MI aggro dump effect immediately stops when when the images die. Previously, mobs would ignore me and attack my ele after the images died so long as there was still time left before the images would have expired on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They only significant change I've noticed recently is that the MI aggro dump effect immediately stops when when the images die. Previously, mobs would ignore me and attack my ele after the images died so long as there was still time left before the images would have expired on their own.
    That change happened in early cata or late WotLK. After that it has only ignored your current threat for 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds is up, the ignore effect fades and your threat is as it would be without you ever pressing mirror images..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    That change happened in early cata or late WotLK. After that it has only ignored your current threat for 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds is up, the ignore effect fades and your threat is as it would be without you ever pressing mirror images..
    No, it was working well into MoP. I'm talking about the images dying before the 30s. Previously, the aggro dump would still work for the full 30s even if the images were killed. Now, the aggro dump stops immediately when the images are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    No, it was working well into MoP. I'm talking about the images dying before the 30s. Previously, the aggro dump would still work for the full 30s even if the images were killed. Now, the aggro dump stops immediately when the images are killed.
    Oh, sorry for not reading ur post properly then^^

I think it is bugged a bit, before 5.2 in solo situations if I popped mirrors they were always attacked. Now when I do it, it is like zomg said regarding 3 in 4 chance that the mirrors get attacked.

That Metal Lord Mono-Han NPC, he always ignores my mirrors for example. Please note I never use Invis after popping mirrors, nor should I have too.

I'll pay attention to which mobs do it while in solo play and report back on them.

Well life has kept me busy, hope to try that Metal Lord fool out tonite.