Thread: [BETA] Verdun

[BETA] Verdun

Hey guys, I don't know how many of you are fans of shooters, but I figured I'd share a game I've been playing lately. It's called Verdun, it's an FPS set in WW1, with a (current) focus on trench warfare. Currently, there are only a few weapons and two maps, but they're working on adding two new maps and several weapons.

As I said, it's still pretty early in beta, and it doesn't really have all that many people playing it. 60 online seems to be average, and it doesn't seem like that many new people are coming in. I was hoping some of you would play. I'm sure it'd help encourage the devs some, lol.

http://www.verdungame.com/ is the link to the website, and I'll pop the early trailer in below.

Oh, if anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

So makes this game different from all the other shooters? The focus on trench-warfare? I'm not a history buff, nor am I that interested in FPS games (yet I strangely adore TF2, hmm...), so why should I try this game, do you think?

Also, how do the classes differentiate from the other classes? I assume only certain classes can use certain weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    So makes this game different from all the other shooters? The focus on trench-warfare?
    Well, for one, it's set in WW1, which is pretty rare for shooters. There are currently one two modes, 'cause beta is beta. Each mode has it's own map. The main mode is sort of a "capture the point" game type. You have to capture the Nomansland, and the enemy trenches. To do that effectively, there's certainly a degree of tactics that is needed. Two more maps are in the works for the main mode, one is set in the French countryside, and will include trees, buildings, and more.
    The other mode is a a free for all death match, on a map that I personally love.

Sort of rambled there, but the trench warfare is certainly one of the things it has, and you'd be hard pressed to find the weaponry in another game.

I'm not a history buff, nor am I that interested in FPS games (yet I strangely adore TF2, hmm...), so why should I try this game, do you think?

Also, how do the classes differentiate from the other classes? I assume only certain classes can use certain weapons?
    It's different. You can kill Germans (or French) with bayonets. Who doesn't want to run around bayoneting people?

As for the classes, there are currently four. There is the NCO (officer), rifleman, gunner, and grenadier. They have unique abilities/perks, but they currently aren't working. (beta ) One of the officers abilities is calling down an artillery strike, only the rifleman has a bayonet, the gunner is the only one that can get the MG, and the grenadier starts with 3 grenades. The NCO currently only has a pistol and a grenade, but the pistol is pretty awesome in close range. The rifleman only has a rifle, but the bayonet is...well, a bayonet. Gunner has a rifle/mg, and pistol. The grenadier has a rifle and the three grenades I mentioned.

What game is it best compared in terms of mechanics and gunplay? Arma, BF3, CoD, TF3, Quake?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyanmaru View Post
    What game is it best compared in terms of mechanics and gunplay? Arma, BF3, CoD, TF3, Quake?
    I'd compare it more to RO2 than any of those.

The animations in the trailer are pretty terrible, but I guess it's to be expected. I think I'll try it out, because of the setting, if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    The animations in the trailer are pretty terrible, but I guess it's to be expected. I think I'll try it out, because of the setting, if nothing else.
    It's beta...animations are one of the least important things -- I'd much rather have them implement weapons, perks, maps, etc than animations.

It's beta...animations are one of the least important things -- I'd much rather have them implement weapons, perks, maps, etc than animations.
    Actually, animations are one of the core parts of the game. If they are not improved before an open beta, they probably won't be at all.

But anyways, I can forgive bad animations, but there's just noone to play this game with. I was afking for 20 minutes while in queue and when I came back, I still needed 10 more players for the game to start... Needless to say, I didn't bother waiting any longer.

Deleted
    The game itself is pretty poor and very repetitive, it is worth trying though since it is free.

The bayonet animation is currently bugged, but they're working on fixing it. I believe they intend to improve the physics later.

Actually, animations are one of the core parts of the game. If they are not improved before an open beta, they probably won't be at all.

But anyways, I can forgive bad animations, but there's just noone to play this game with. I was afking for 20 minutes while in queue and when I came back, I still needed 10 more players for the game to start... Needless to say, I didn't bother waiting any longer.
    The queue times are an issue, but that is due to how few people are playing it right now. I can understand waiting that long can be frustrating, I've personally had to sit around for 20-30 minutes multiple times. There just isn't much awareness of it right now. I'm pretty sure you guys are the only ones outside of 4chan that know about it now, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The game itself is pretty poor and very repetitive, it is worth trying though since it is free.
    As for the repetitiveness, the new maps and weapons should help that some. Shooters do tend to be fairly repetitive, though. Yeah, it isn't great, but it's pretty fun, and I think it has potential.

I wonder how they want to make trench warfare interesting, because it was anything but interesting. Endless stalemate.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I wonder how they want to make trench warfare interesting, because it was anything but interesting. Endless stalemate.
    You pretty much have to charge the enemies trenches if you want to win, otherwise, it's just going to end up in a tie. Often, one side will charge, be killed by the other side, which will charge and be killed, and so on. Trying to capture the nomansland, and get into the enemy trenches can be a ton of fun.

Deleted
    Anyone playing this game? started a few days ago, and loving it