Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    Nothing is original anymore.
    One thing is not innovating in the genre, the other one is blatantly ripping off another game. Antichamber was original, Fez was original, they innovated in the genre itself (puzzle for antichamber and platformer up to a certain point for Fez).

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    One thing is not innovating in the genre, the other one is blatantly ripping off another game. Antichamber was original, Fez was original, they innovated in the genre itself (puzzle for antichamber and platformer up to a certain point for Fez).
    Ripping off of a 16-year old game that has only been done on smartphones since then? I personally don't have a problem with that if it means I can actually enjoy it on my PC. And in English no less, since it has apparently been established that the Game Dev Story developer has no interest in my preferred platform.

I think what they have done is awesome. Not only does it send a message to people who pirate games without thinking of the consequences, but it promotes their game, which I have never heard of and probably never would have if not for this.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Except his friends would never buy that brand of beer but since they got it gifted to them they actually found out that it tasted really good. So the next time that brand releases a new beer then they buy it because they dont want to wait for their friend to give them one.
    How is that brand going to release a new beer if everyone is drinking for free and not buying beer anymore?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    How is that brand going to release a new beer if everyone is drinking for free and not buying beer anymore?
    Would not that demand them to make their own beer to obtain it for free?

It would be the same as people who pirate games making their own games and then playing, that is assuming they are not shoplifting/performing a robbery which is straight out ilegall, which goes for ilegall software too.

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Would not that demand them to make their own beer to obtain it for free?

It would be the same as people who pirate games making their own games and then playing, that is assuming they are not shoplifting/performing a robbery which is straight out ilegall, which goes for ilegall software too.
    Obviously it would have to be a magical beer that recreates itself since it's not a 1:1 relationship, you can't make infinite copies of a beer in reality. The point is that saying "I'll buy the next one if I like this one" is faulty logic because there might not be a next one if people don't buy this one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Obviously it would have to be a magical beer that recreates itself since it's not a 1:1 relationship, you can't make infinite copies of a beer in reality. The point is that saying "I'll buy the next one if I like this one" is faulty logic because there might not be a next one if people don't buy this one.

Kind of this!

The responce I gave was form an earlyer example I gave of if some one bought some beer that basically never ran out and gave his buddies some of that beer then there would be no need for them to ever buy beer again. The quote I took was soem one saying they would buy that companies new beer... but if you already have infinit beer why would you A) keep buying the same beer you don't have to pay for, B) why would you buy a new beer when you have point A and how would said company get funds to develop a new beer if everyone is drinking for free!

Kind of this!

The responce I gave was form an earlyer example I gave of if some one bought some beer that basically never ran out and gave his buddies some of that beer then there would be no need for them to ever buy beer again. The quote I took was soem one saying they would buy that companies new beer... but if you already have infinit beer why would you A) keep buying the same beer you don't have to pay for, B) why would you buy a new beer when you have point A and how would said company get funds to develop a new beer if everyone is drinking for free!
    And even if said company does make a new beer, why not just also "try that out for free"?

I just don't get how people can honestly be so stupid to think that pirating is a good thing. I don't find it bad either, but just a product of the internet. But if you really like your beer, why not pay for it so they can make an even better beer? And if you wanna know what the beer taste like, ask friends who have had it before, or go view reviews of the beer and form an opinion from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    And even if said company does make a new beer, why not just also "try that out for free"?

I just don't get how people can honestly be so stupid to think that pirating is a good thing. I don't find it bad either, but just a product of the internet. But if you really like your beer, why not pay for it so they can make an even better beer? And if you wanna know what the beer taste like, ask friends who have had it before, or go view reviews of the beer and form an opinion from that.
    or get a sample at a bar for free.

for some reason bars and restaurants hand out samples as if someone would buy the beer other than just revel in the free sample.

This game is shit, I regreat getting it, its repetitive, the paterns are just too predictable and too easy

The management its almost none, its just creating logical theme/genre games over and over and over.

Because free beer tastes like shit.

So do most cheap games. Id rather pay the additional amount for a game I know is made well and is enjoyable, versus playing a constantly free game that has many bugs, holes in the story/gameplay and is downright garbage.

OT; most people I know who do pirate torrents and shit still spend LARGE amounts of money on games and accessories and consoles and shit. So I really see no problem with getting a game everynow and then, selling it is a different story. But I know me and lots of my friends have all spent TONS of money in the industry and will continue so I see no harm in it.

Especially since companies like Activision and EA make tremendous amounts of money and give us tremendous piles of crap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lavafoxx View Post
    I feel that the people who claim this are either confused or flat out lying.
    Nah. I really wanted to get Diablo 3, but I still didn't buy it even though it cannot be pirated. Same thing goes for Mass Effect 3. Thankfully the reviewers did a good job preventing me from buying those pieces of trash.

Not the same can be said about GW 2 though, since I succumbed to the hype and ended up buying a game from a company of assholes, that didn't respect their "no grinding" manifesto, while literally every aspect of the game is based on grinding. They flat out lied to their customers, and got my money through tricking me. Although I didn't have much of a choice, because it's an MMO. I like piracy. It's like a "free sample" to spot the bullshit.

But seriously, you think that not making a certain game pirateable will make me buy it? No, it didn't. It didn't make me buy Assassin's Creed 2(although I still bought it some time AFTER it was pirated, because it is a good game), it didn't make me buy that shitty Mass Effect 3 Origin bullshit, that made me uninstall even the Demo, it didn't make me buy Diablo 3 even though I wanted to get it, but thankfully Blizzard was retarded enough to consider the "log in to play single player game" technique, and it never will make me buy it, especially when they come up with shitty DRMs.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-05-06 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Nah. I really wanted to get Diablo 3, but I still didn't buy it even though it cannot be pirated. Same thing goes for Mass Effect 3. Thankfully the reviewers did a good job preventing me from buying those pieces of trash.

Not the same can be said about GW 2 though, since I succumbed to the hype and ended up buying a game from a company of assholes, that didn't respect their "no grinding" manifesto, while literally every aspect of the game is based on grinding. They flat out lied to their customers, and got my money through tricking me. Although I didn't have much of a choice, because it's an MMO. I like piracy. It's like a "free sample" to spot the bullshit.

But seriously, you think that not making a certain game pirateable will make me buy it? No, it didn't. It didn't make me buy Assassin's Creed 2(although I still bought it some time AFTER it was pirated, because it is a good game), it didn't make me buy that shitty Mass Effect 3 Origin bullshit, that made me uninstall even the Demo, it didn't make me buy Diablo 3 even though I wanted to get it, but thankfully Blizzard was retarded enough to consider the "log in to play single player game" technique, and it never will make me buy it, especially when they come up with shitty DRMs.
    And since you aren't a paying customer, your opinion on the games you didn't buy don't mean shit. Congratulations, you listened to a few dozen bitter nerds who write an opinion and call it a review. You didn't even go with the majority since thousands of people just WATCH other people on Twitch play those games. That obviously doesn't even scratch the surface of the people who enjoy them.

But no... Possibly not liking something is totally a legitimate reason to steal it. Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    And since you aren't a paying customer, your opinion on the games you didn't buy don't mean shit. Congratulations, you listened to a few dozen bitter nerds who write an opinion and call it a review. You didn't even go with the majority since thousands of people just WATCH other people on Twitch play those games. That obviously doesn't even scratch the surface of the people who enjoy them.

But no... Possibly not liking something is totally a legitimate reason to steal it. Lol.
    People are just entitled to stuff they think is "right" to do... stupidly so, even I disliked ME3 ending but you know what? it had to end there, that was the whole story, the story of a journey we knew that would have to end with the reapers in mind with the big sacrifice, but sometimes people are just plain illogical saying stuff like "Oh the game didn't receive a 10/10, ergo I download it from A-B-C freely".

About the GW2 aspect that he claimed BS: The game doesn't make you obliged to grind to embrace fun in most parts of the game, you could do a dungeon while being underleveld, the dungeon scales you (post-fractal content) and you can do it just for the sake of it, leveling wasn't even hard at all and gearing up is just easy, you just cried when you saw "POINTS AND EXPERIENCE" tackled there... even on games like TSW you have progression. MMORPGS themselves have progression, the difference is wether you want to get progression or not, GW2 is one of those games that don't make you grind as a mindless rat for more content, because pretty much all content is given at your disposal.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2013-05-08 at 02:18 AM.

Pirated copies do not equal lost sales.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wromthrax View Post
    No, but damages the company itself by losing potential buyers, some games are extremely well done in the beggining where the money is totally worth it, but at the ending it seems that you didn't get your money worth (basic phsychological thing, you expect a higher reward with sparkles and shiny happiness), when you pirate it you expect the whole experience to be "woah" and then just stop caring about it and don't even respect who made the game even tho the whole trip was the fun part.

(tackling for example mass effect 3 issue)

Another counterexample is what happened to me with the ME saga, it was the time for me to step back from pirating, I used to pirate most stuff and just don't give a fuck about buying games, a lot of friends always say stuff like "pff you buy to play games?!" like if it was something bad or plain stupid, but actually you learn from pirating that some pirated versions are flat out bad or have some errors in the game that would've been patched later on in the original version, my case with ME1 was that the first mission would always get a random error shutting down the game, had to end up buying the game to "fix my issue" thus ended buying the whole saga and well ended up more tied to steam than ever, now my library has got like 30+ games, now I just pick carefully what I want, when I used to pirate stuff I just downloaded random shit that looked interesting... easy to say the results were never that great (Kingdoms of Amalur...)
    Last edited by barackopala; 2013-05-08 at 02:27 AM.

That's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I hope their site gets flooded by people who downloaded it from torrent sites, after all THEY released it on the torrent sites, so they have to support it.

File Sharing is not Piracy, Stealing or theft....
    It's an infringement of copyright. And it has the same effect as theft, you get something for free that someone worked on expecting to sell it.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 02:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wromthrax View Post
    P = L + N

Where
    P=Pirated copies
    L=Lost sales
    N=Copies from people who never would've bought the full game

How big is L relative to N? According to piracy defenders, L is TINY and N is HUGE! According to the MPAA, RIAA, game companies and their lawyers, L is HUGE and N is TINY!

Back in the real world, the game companies are making less money due to piracy while the pirates are getting things they want for free, so they are both making shit up that suits their personal best interests. Trying to figure out objectively how big L and N are is extremely difficult.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-05-08 at 02:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Well why not sell games for $20-40 and not for a ridiculously high $60 price. For as long as games remain that expensive WoW will be the only game that i will bother paying for, simple as that.

I just played through a pirated copy of saints row 3. i found it really good but wont buy it. I found it so good that i joined a chat room and recommended it to the people there. i think at least 1 of them will buy it because of this, which he wouldnt have since he didnt even know it.
    Also i might buy saints row 4 the day it comes out. i will still pirate all dlcs because i will never support dlcs... but thats it. it isnt always that easy.

That is why many companies have stopped making games for PC and if they are, are making them online only. Helps with the piracy. Of course you get the odd PC game that isn't online and does well, but it is pretty rare nowadays it seems.