Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Enchanting from scratch on a low pop realm

Seriously, it's just disgusting. Profession bonuses need to be thrown into a fire, it's ridiculous how much time and money needs to be spent to get passive stat bonuses which are necessary if you really want to min max.

On my realm, there are literally zero 1 - 300 ench mats on the AH. "NP" I thought, "I'll just buy cheap greens and DE em!" Nope, no greens between level 15 and level 40 either. Total, 100% roadblock.

So I went to Razorfen Kraul - "I'll just farm this for abit, DEing the greens and stuff that drops!"

2 green drops in 3 runs made me think "s.o.d. t.h.i.s."

Levelling new professions has become a completely atrocious grind, which costs a stupid amount of money if the mats are even on the AH, and takes a mental amount of time if they aren't.

Don't even get me started on the "wonderful" blacksmithing "catchup" system they put in either. That amazing catch up system which requires FIVE THOUSAND Ghost Iron bars.... Of which there are currently hardly any on my realm's AH anyway, and when they are up they cost nearly 200g per stack. Yeah, that'll be fun.

Does anyone else think that the current profession levelling system has just become outdated, and needs a fairly serious overhaul?

10+ Year Old Account
    Professions are there if you have the luxury of affording it, you don't NEED them, but they're nice to have. If you're on a low pop like you say you are, that would likely mean there's a lack of any real Heroic progression, which leads me to ask you: Why bother min/maxing when you're not doing Heroic progression? You don't need the little boost unless you're doing Heroic raiding. The professions are not mandatory, you're not forced to have them.

If you have such an issue with your low pop server, maybe it's time you consider a transfer? It sounds like a last ditch suggestion but maybe you should if the low pop problems are bothering you so much.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-05-06 at 08:33 AM.

So you want stuff but dont want to work for them?
    Farmed most for my ench, would say its ok the few hours it took is what I expected from a MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    Farmed most for my ench, would say its ok the few hours it took is what I expected from a MMO.
    You don't farm material and level enchant.
    You can easily spend 20 to 40 hours to do that because we have too many expansions.

You play AH and make gold. Then use gold to buy material.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do the better thing and server transfer. Currently preparing for four myself. Currently in the same bout in terms of leveling enchanting from scratch on my priest. Hit 230 tonight from farming greens mainly and running RFK.

It's mainly just enchanting that's an absolute nightmare to level. I attempted to do it mid-Wrath with my DK and spent whatever gold I had left on it (then ended up deleting the character anyhow). Not going too bad so far, but my current realm isn't that bad. There are usually some auctions. I just want a realm where I have the opportunity to do Sha, Galleon and Nalak on all my alts every week.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    By most people's definition "a few" means 3 - 4. You did NOT farm all the mats you needed to go from 1 - 600 in a few hours. Heck you could spend 3 - 4 hours farming dungeons and not get what you need to go from 1 - 150.

Also, this is a fairly new reroll, I WILL be moving into heroic raiding on this char, which is why I am levelling two crafting profs. My guild are 3/13 heroic and should be 4/13 next week - we move steadily and usually clear most things on hc by the end of an expansion.

What people and indeed Blizzard need to consider is: are professions "fun"? Is it in any way an enjoyable experience to level a profession from 1 - 600? It is probably totally out of reach of new players. If you take a gathering profession you can expect to spend a LONG time farming mats. In addition many of the professions have nasty "black spots" which require rare materials which are v hard to get hold of. Buying these costs more money than most new players will have.

I stand by my original statement, the current prof levelling system is a relic of an older game which doesn't exist anymore. It is high time they did a revamp. Awful as it was, at least ToR managed a profession system that was less obnoxious than WoW's currently is

PS
    I'm not changing realms don't be ridiculous, I love my guild and have been playing with many of them since the start of wotlk
    Last edited by mmoc90d9592e92; 2013-05-06 at 09:08 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure low populated servers will have a negative effect on the gold and time it takes to level your professions. You could invest in a server transfer. Leveling professions is a costly and time consuming process, no matter the server population though. I spent countless hours leveling Jewelcrafting. At the time, my server was one of the highest populated around (if not the highest), but I still couldn't find certain materials. I spent about 5k gold leveling it to 425. Enchanting still allows you to buy greens from AH or even farm them, but if AH doesn't have certain gems, you are screwed. You think 2 greens in 3 runs is bad? Try farming a certain gem. You'd be lucky to get 1 in 10 runs. If you have an alt with mining, that helps a lot, but if you don't, you're screwed. Jewelcrafting is the most annoying and expensive profession to level, but, it also arguably has the most profit at the maximum level.

It is oudated? Maybe. As the levels increase, so does the time it takes to level. Both your character and your professions. Just let it grant more points per enchant. Maybe Blizzard could make a vendor that sells low level or rare profession mats for a reasonable price.
    Last edited by Statix; 2013-05-06 at 09:08 AM.
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You don't farm material and level enchant.
    You can easily spend 20 to 40 hours to do that because we have too many expansions.

You play AH and make gold. Then use gold to buy material.
    20-40h is nothing.
    If your AH dont have the items u need, u gotta farm
    I farmed LW, skinning and tailoring. Dropped skinning and DEd everything, gz full ench.
    Did all 4 profs to 600 in 30h~ with much slacking involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    By most people's definition "a few" means 3 - 4. You did NOT farm all the mats you needed to go from 1 - 600 in a few hours. Heck you could spend 3 - 4 hours farming dungeons and not get what you need to go from 1 - 150.
    Since its a MMO id put anything below 100hours as few.
    Last edited by BergErr; 2013-05-06 at 09:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Professions are there if you have the luxury of affording it, you don't NEED them, but they're nice to have. If you're on a low pop like you say you are, that would likely mean there's a lack of any real Heroic progression, which leads me to ask you: Why bother min/maxing when you're not doing Heroic progression? You don't need the little boost unless you're doing Heroic raiding. The professions are not mandatory, you're not forced to have them.

If you have such an issue with your low pop server, maybe it's time you consider a transfer? It sounds like a last ditch suggestion but maybe you should if the low pop problems are bothering you so much.
    what. a profession equals to 320 of your main stat, wich is often better than an upgrade as an item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    what. a profession equals to 320 of your main stat, wich is often better than an upgrade as an item.
    Like I said, if he wasn't doing Heroic progression then there is no need to min/max. Which is what it seemed like based on his armory and the fact he's on a low pop. If he wants the increase so bad, he's gonna have to accept he's on a low pop realm/in a bad situation and farm them, 100hrs or less it's the cons of being on a low pop, no sympathy when someone can change that.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Up to you then. Ask guildies for help in farming then. Or try to persuade your guild to server transfer If you really want to min-max though, that's an option you've decided on so do what you have to. I would like to see them add multiple skill-ups to all professions. There was a fair amount when I leveling Inscription, but Enchanting and a Blacksmith with no Ghost Iron route has no multiple skill-ups. The 250 to 300 bridge is definitely the worst part.

But hey, we do what we want to do. I've got all professions now at 600, sure it took some time (and gold) for some. If it's that important to you, then do your dungeon grinds, it's the best option for you it seems.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Sooo don't be an enchanter then. Nearly every crafting profession provides the same benefit (minus tailoring and engineering). Alchemy and Inscription are amazingly easy to level and very cheap too. Silly to cry about something you have direct control over sheesh.

Level tailoring, low level cloths are easier to farm, then DE the low level green you made while leveling !

Deleted
    Enchanting isn't a profession to be lvled on its own. You need a crafting profession, to start with. Tailoring is fine, but (in case of low population servers) gathering those mats can be a pain. BS would be the best option now, with the Ghost ore... (200g per stack is just pure laziness, considering the damn thing is everywhere!). Even JC is acceptable.

You could try doing Lorewalker if you are even slightly interested in lore/story. BoEs drop here and there when you mow down all mobs and you get steady green trash supply via quest rewards. Might not be as fast as dungeon grind for cloth+greens but less boring.

As alternative, if you're doing it only for bonuses, go Inscription. It's downright cheat when it comes to getting it up, every glyph gives multiple skillups per craft and you can substitute MoP herbs for all older world inks if there is shortage.
    Last edited by Nivrax; 2013-05-06 at 09:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a spare alt at 85+, I might recommend leveling up a crafting profession on that toon and DE'ing on your enchanter. Or if you already have plenty of crafting toons, then just buy up whatever has the cheapest mats for the range you need to DE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    What people and indeed Blizzard need to consider is: are professions "fun"?
    To me? yes.

Is it in any way an enjoyable experience to level a profession from 1 - 600?
    Again, to me, yes.

It is probably totally out of reach of new players. If you take a gathering profession you can expect to spend a LONG time farming mats. In addition many of the professions have nasty "black spots" which require rare materials which are v hard to get hold of. Buying these costs more money than most new players will have.
    I've yet to find a profession that couldn't be grinded past the bottlenecks. Most new players do the obvious, and smart thing, and have a gathering profession with their crafting profession, so they're not usually stuck like the more experienced players that want to double up on crafting profs.

If you know you are going to level 2 crafting profs then you make damn sure you have the mats to level them first before you start. And if you find out that you can't get certain things, you first try to think of a way to get them, like maybe leveling up a gathering prof first, and dropping it once you have the materials required (which I've done for both an alchemist and a Scribe that I paired with another crafting prof)

Enchanting is a different beasty alltogether of course, but it's perfectly viable to level tailoring and keep all the materials you craft (just ping pong them between the toon you need it on and a bank alt, through the mail) and then use those materials to level enchanting later on. Might be a bit tricky to figure out how much materials you'll get exactly, but I'm sure you'll have the bulk of your stuff if you do it this way.

On the topic of a profession revamp, I'm actually all for it, provided they make it fun and rewarding, and not simplify it the way they did for Mists and just make it so you can level your profession without any sort of work or trouble. It felt mostly VERY unrewarding to level my professions in Mists. I'm afraid however that they'd bring professions the same simple leveling process they made for Mists if they ever did a revamp. Making it so you can level without needing to farm that 1 exclusive material or the need to go to that 1 place where they sell the recipe you need to level with less materials then the regular trainer one. Mists professions could for the most part be leveled from the main cities. The only exception was that some of them needed 1 single Spirit of Harmony, which was extremely easy to farm up, and which you got automatically while leveling anyway even if you didn't farm it.

Blizzard has taken away many flavour things, like reagents, soul shards, ammunition, but I feel like taking away the uniqueness of professions would be a step they shouldn't take, and they went that way significantly in Mists, I feel.

I dont know how you leveled, but thats the critical point. If you are not leveling by RAF, but doing the "normal way" (mainly quests, some dungeons on the way and some mobpacks grinded when met) you get enough greens and blues to get your enchanting up.

Using RAF or just selling those stuff due to lazyness takes away that possibility.

Deleted
    Lots of ways. Ask your guild to help. Farm the mats its easy as lower instances take ten minutes to complete, use the ah, create, de greens and use both factions. Too much complaining about how hard done by you are and not enough doing. which realm is it?

Levelling a tailor/enchanter was really easy combined with mats on my bank took just from levelling alts I spent about 100g.

the economy/pop of a quiet realm is irrelavent, its just if you want it now and are not willing to save mats on alts or be patient and farm.