Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Openraid...has it's moments of crazy people, but fuck, it helped me get 2 mount achievements and many other achievements so I'm not hating.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I only use it for ease of use like finding Firelands, ICC, and Ulduar runs. Never managed to do anything relativity challenging even with what looked like decent groups so I just gave up on trying that stuff.

I feel like over time the site has gotten worse with every group having +500000000 to my Invincible roll since I've been here every week. Forgot that crap.
    Last edited by Volitar; 2013-05-03 at 09:43 AM.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Recently started using openraid, and I can for sure say I got different views on this...

Was in a HOF pug last night, 7 people died on attenuation the first time. I didnt care and went and tried again. Five of the same people died again, and I told them carefully on VT: "If you let 1 wave pass, then find an opening and just strafe it is pretty easy to avoid"

Then out of nowhere an angry female voice attacked me, saying "JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE 16/16 HEROIC DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN TALK DOWN TO US"

Like what the fuck? I didnt even talk down to them, just gave a tip how to survive... They were a guildrun appearantly still 4/6 HC MSV and I was on my alt mage just bored after a night of lei shen hc progress.

Are people really that hostile? I was kicked from the group and their guild posted lots of angry stuff on my feedback page.

The 1 other time I used openraid I joined a terrace pug with complete randoms and 1 shotted everything fast and easy. But I had to make a new profile because of those dumbasses in HoF.
    If a group of people thought you talked down to them, you did.

That's how communication works, you see. Your intention might have been otherwise, but your execution of that communication pissed people off.

openraid is a good idea, but a better one would be to have better tuning of the raids, rather than the overtuned mess they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Injin View Post
    If a group of people thought you talked down to them, you did.

That's how communication works, you see. Your intention might have been otherwise, but your execution of that communication pissed people off.

openraid is a good idea, but a better one would be to have better tuning of the raids, rather than the overtuned mess they are now.
    I wouldn't say last tier was overtuned and it's been nerfed since 5.2 so it should be even easier than it was before.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    i like openraid no kids in it as far as i saw its the only place i can get ppl to get into Challenge modes an never had a "bad' group with it did msv , hof and toes with ppl from it without 1 whipe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I wouldn't say last tier was overtuned and it's been nerfed since 5.2 so it should be even easier than it was before.
    Last tier was overtuned because of the mechanics (see OP on attenuation) knocking 10% of the damage done and boss hp doesn't make the super mario dance off fever 152 mechanics per boss bollocks that wows current raids have become any easier, it just means your less than amazingly co ordinated pugger lasts a few seconds longer after they inevitably fuck up before dying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    TL;DR

I joined, kept my mouth shut until we got to 1st boss, was doing 60% of the groups damage. They start derping, I give tips, they rage.

Why?
    Cool story, Mr. Epeen. Somehow I doubt this whole thing really happened. Maybe in one of your wet dreams. I sometimes wonder what you get out of these epeen stroking posts on here. Is it some sexual thing?

Nice try fabricating a plausible story but it was simply too much. Try tuning it down a bit and maybe I'll take you seriously next time.
    For example: "JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE 16/16 HEROIC DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN TALK DOWN TO US". Come on, no one talks like that when raging at someone. Much too specific. And then this TL;DR with 60% of the groups damage. Nah, that's totally out of proportion.

I'm not sure what's more pathetic. You making this stuff up or the flock of retarded sheep drooling over this shit.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-05-03 at 11:00 AM.

I've had nothing but horrid experiences over there lately;
    Which is sad since I was a huge user back in 4.3. I was pretty much running something at least 4 times a week off the website.

Got into a Heroic ToES run - I just need Protectors (And one random meta but meh) to finish off my Pandaria Raider achievement.
    Raid lead takes forever to get the group together but we eventually phase in only to find out the guy doesn't have a microphone. Whatever; He'll use raid warnings to announce things. Nope.
    He gets mad at the group for barely knowing what they're doing.

I inspect the guy; 490ish item level - No legendary meta gem - Lowest DPS in the group.
    He obviously expcted a carry since he demanded a 510+ item level from others and declined a friend of mine for not having "qualifications". (Which an inspect showed he didn't have; Not a single heroic boss down on any of his toons. Ever.)

I have /never/ AFK'd out of a run before until this instance. Luckily it was off their chat but my actual sign up events haven't been going fruitful either because I find out after the guy running it's been banned for pulling crap like mentioned above or it get's canceled at the last minute. It just feels like the experiences of that and my guild mates has been worse than Trade chat.

Sadly; I'd rather risk my luck on Mal'ganis trade chat and never talk on vent than deal with this anymore.
    It might be good for super old casual stuff but when it comes to heroics from last tier...

So far ive done 7 raids, 6 of those for meta ach (4 for 5.0 glory meta), except for one where I went to Mogushan Vaults normal 10m on my poorly geared alt. "group of friends" raged after 1 wipe on normal Garajala and left
    And the requirements for this raid was softcore and ilvl460...

If you want to avoid these issues you should probably only join raids with "trusted" openraid RL.
    Last edited by Corrupt; 2013-05-03 at 11:22 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    well maybe they should grow some balls and learn how to take some constructive criticism. no one who plays this game competitively wants to play with scrubs who die to attenuation.
    Good thing then that less than 1% of players actually play this game genuinely competitively.

Seriously, this is openraid we're talking about. Not some world top 20 guild. If you are going to bring a rubbish attitude to a bunch of players who aren't as good at the game as you are, expect them to respond negatively to it. Grow some balls and recognise this is your own fault.

Telling someone that a mechanic they are struggling with is "easy" is not constructive criticism. It's boasting. Also, you can give advice without giving criticism.

First time I did Zor'lok (shortly after HoF released) the group I was with stuggled for about 3 hours on the boss, and the attenuation was easily the hardest part to deal with. For me personally it was about the 6th or 7th attempt where it suddenly clicked. Others got it quicker (I joined after the group had already been wiping for a while so some of them already had it figured out).

Yes, once you figure it out it is easy. But figuring it out takes a little bit of time. I don't think the OP's "advice" would have done anything to help me the first time I was there. The trick I learned was to identify that the "spiral" pattern can rotate in either direction.

Constructive advice here would be to tell them to:
    Get your distance correct - about halfway between the boss and the edge of the room.
    Elevate your camera angle so that you can see the spiral pattern.
    Strafe around the boss in the opposite direction the spiral is turning. Bear in mind that the direction can change from attenuation to attenution.
    Don't worry, you'll get it right soon enough.

Maybe you are just a gaming god who got it right first time and never once is his life died to attenuation. If so, good for you. Honestly I don't care. No one cares. And telling someone they are a scrub because they cannot emulate your magnificence will never not make them love you. It will just alienate them.

I think openraid is pretty great, through it I've gotten countless old achievements and mounts, gotten easy groups to farm Warbringers and finally got a start on some challenge modes. I've gotten most of my groups through their chat instead of scheduled events and haven't tried any serious content like heroic raids (I doubt any groups would take me anyway, given I don't have any exp in them) but either way I've found the groups have about the same odds of being good or fail as any normal pug on my server.

Anything can be harmful when taken to an extreme. Even moderation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only had good experiences with openraid myself. But you will always have some bad groups no matter what.

Openraid is a great idea but the implementation has some problems. As it is the leader has too much power, they can give you bad ratings or mark you as no-show for any reason they like and there is nothing you can do about it, once they mark you as no-show you can't rate them because it removes you from the roster. I'd like to say 'so you should be careful you don't group up with the bad leaders' but you don't have any way of knowing who the bad leaders are because if they abuse that obviously you wouldn't know.

I've mainly used openraid for old content/xmog and mount runs as it were. Otherwise a current tier pug is a pug regardless of where its formed though if used correctly there will be bad feedback for bad players as a hope to deter worse groups in the future and set up red flags if they've been approved.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

I don't know what you're expecting. Just because it's crossrealm doesn't mean bad players magically disappear. A pug is a pug.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had great experiences with OpenRaid.

OP you can choose Hardcore Raids, I think that would fit your desires better
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    did a few transmog/old ach runs went okay

tried to do some challenge modes, haven't used the site since then. it was a pretty terrible experience. basically, they asked me to be prepared and no one else was prepared.

well maybe they should grow some balls and learn how to take some constructive criticism. no one who plays this game competitively wants to play with scrubs who die to attenuation.
    No one (should) want to play with anyone who describes anyone for any reason other than outright douchebaggery a "scrub".

On topic, I've used Openraid for a few things, and it's been a really pleasant experience. Much more than I expected it to be. I think people just misunderstood where you were coming from, OP, and thought you were being condescending, like other people said.
    Last edited by Otimus; 2013-05-06 at 06:03 PM.

In openraid you have the option of see the armory of the people that you are accepting in the event

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you expect openraid to vet the social habits of everyone that uses it you're going to get people every once in a while that won't be pleasant. Openraid may lower the percentage chance that will happen to a certain extent but it's not a 100% lock.

So while your opening post and thread title seems to be about criticizing Openraid it seems to me the real problem is what it always is in pugs.

I have some issues with how Openraid handles feedback about raid participants but I don't expect it to make it perfect socially.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you say anything in any form of help to some people, they take it as a personal insult and think you're calling them bad so react in a hostile manner. Nothing new.