Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Challenging World Exploration Content

I was thinking of something while I was trying to immerse myself in Duskwood with my new little gnome. It was oppressive and dark, with a certain...air of death around me. I spied a crypt sitting alone, atop a hill, and it occurred to me...

...why not add in some world stuff like that? Small one or two-shot quests that are hard, even with heirloom gear that people can stumble upon? Perhaps they only appear at certain times of the day or night on some servers, but it'd be fun to come across it. I would say they should give a blue item of comparable level to the mini-dungeon/quest, but nothing huge so that high-levels don't camp it to gank low levels. It should be something that you just come across. There could be 2 or 3 of them in most zones and would add a nice bit of exploration, for a little while. I know over time everyone would memorize them but for a while it would definitely be cool to find them all.

Thoughts?

I would enjoy random spawned quests, I think it could spice up the world of questing. Like you go to town grab some quests and when you come back the town is under attack by xxx and your called to help for extra xp/reward. Kinda like how rift had its random spawning rifts that were fun and interesting but in the form of quests
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Would be pretty cool in my opinion. I don't see any reason why something like that couldn't be added to the game.

If it were hard in hierloom gear, a new player in quest gear would stand no chance. It is however a good idea, it would just need some tweaks to make it accessible to all players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    If it were hard in hierloom gear, a new player in quest gear would stand no chance. It is however a good idea, it would just need some tweaks to make it accessible to all players.
    well it would be an optional thing to do so if you can't do it then skip it. They can make quests challenging but not gear related (See warlock green fire boss)
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could scale depending on whether or not you're wearing heirloom gear. As a programmer myself I can think of a few ways to accomplish that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or it could be something that maybe 2-3 normal quest geared players could do. It would do WoW some good to bring back a little cooperation in leveling. I remember in just about every other MMO i've played there were elite/heroic world areas where you could quest/kill bosses/grind npcs as a group for loads of exp. These areas inherently also attracted PvP on PvP servers.

Since I played EQ2 the most (besides wow) I will use it as an example. In the zone Thundering Steppes (which was level 20-25 or so, if i remember correctly) there was what is essentially a contested/world dungeon. In there there was probably 12 or so "named" NPCs, which are essentially the silver elites of EQ2. They had their respawns that were 20-30 minutes and unless you were over the level that the gear would be any good for you, they required a group of 4 or more to fight. Each level range had zones like this where you needed a group to venture inside. back in EQ2 there weren't many quests and no achievements for doing anything, so grinding and gear is what the main attraction was.

The trick I think would be to make it optional yet desirable, so maybe the chance to get an heirloom in there but the heirloom doesn't go all the way to 85 or whatever. Perhaps you fight your way down to a boss in the barrens and then you get an piece of gear that gives you the heirloom stats/exp boost up to level 15 or something. That way it is worth doing, but not mandatory. Gear is probably the best motivation for a "challenge area" so that it doesn't attract 90s for achievements or whatever. It is just something that you might stumble on and get rewarded for taking on the challenge.
    Last edited by Zapgreen; 2013-05-07 at 03:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping for the same - i think Benbros also stated it in a different thread I read today. I would love for more challenging content that is out of the way thus entirely optional. We were thinking something similar to MP but this also works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I was hoping for the same - i think Benbros also stated it in a different thread I read today. I would love for more challenging content that is out of the way thus entirely optional. We were thinking something similar to MP but this also works.
    The problem with MP is that everyone has to be on the same MP as you in order to experience things as a group or you might as well be phased from everyone else...killing what is already being killed in an MMO; community.

Deleted
    I like the idea, but I doubt Blizzard would make challenging levelling content

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Duskwood was a scary place when I was 14 years old and a twitchy incompetent n00b in WoW classic. Mor'ladim would literally just spring out from behind that tombstone and melt your face with his sword and then teabag your corpse. Looking back it was hilarious, that and the abomination from that zone were insanely difficult quests in those days. The stranglethorn vale mastery quests without groups were brutal, the lich up in Andorhal in the West plaguelands, and that one undead ranger raid boss where the horde could get in on the action and screw you royally.

/tosses aside nostalgia goggles/ Blizz has known how to make challenging quest content for a good 8 years. I think it would be awesome if they made some more in the future.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

i wouldn't say no to more options whilst levelling

group quests
    elite quests
    maybe even levelling scenarios

make it all optional, but tag the quests as elite so people know what they are getting into - back in the old days, it used to give me a reason to try and find someone else in the zone, or get a friend from the guild to come help. it actually helps build community. with cross realm, it should be even easier to find people for more challenging quests.

for instance, they could nerf the fel reaver in hellfire down to level 64 and make it an optional groupquest (i'm kinda disgusted durn the hungerer was nerfed to solo status)

bring back the elites! bring back the challenge! but make it all optional so newbs dont cry.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    difficulty quests outside in the world? wont happened after cata destroyed every quest with elite mobs...

Deleted
    Blizzard removed group quests when they noticed that almost noone was doing them at level because there were simply no other players to group with at level. now that you got CRZ, it should be possible again to do these in an appropriate group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post
    Blizzard removed group quests when they noticed that almost noone was doing them at level because there were simply no other players to group with at level. now that you got CRZ, it should be possible again to do these in an appropriate group.
    This, and currently with the refurbished quests in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, the questing experience is much more fluid. You no longer encounter quests that are too difficult, or a challenge, or to be completed in group.

On top of that you will also see on the map where you have to go to complete the quests. You even see what npc's drop the item you need when you mouseover them, or that sparkly animation on quest items that you have to pick up. To be honest, I don't even read quest texts anymore. I pick up the quests, check my map, and kill/pick up things.

WoW is turning into a way too convenient game. No effort results in no feeling of reward. People chew through content much faster now, because it is much more convenient/easy to do the content.

Group quests just never worked.

Deleted
    Also with scenario tech, you could queue up a bit like Isle of Thunder unlocking quests.

great idea !

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying it has to be a group quest, of course. Also, Blizzard could get around that by having an NPC help you with it. Whatever your class is, you could pick a "helper" if no one is available.

There are no technical reasons Blizzard couldn't put something cool like this in the game. The problem is, of course, seeing if people would utilize it

15+ Year Old Account
    If they made the lvling more challenging they wouldt have to nerf shit to the ground at lvl 90 since then more ppl would know their class more
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s