Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to get the energy to workout?

Ok so lately (last week or 2) i've been really tired and I use to get tired a lot when I had the weight on me that I lost (15kg / 30ish pounds). I've been sticking to my diet but just can't seem to get the energy to even go for a walk or lift weights at my own house, I've also been sleeping in a lot later again like until lunch time so it screws up the rest of my day (I don't work or go to school atm), i've tried coffee, energy drinks but they give me energy for short periods of time then I just crash again and feel tired and not to mention the calories that energy drinks have.

So my question is does anyone have any tips to get out of this "rutt" i'm sure other people have felt this before when going on a diet/changing their lifestyle to be more healthy.

btw before I started exercising and losing weight I pretty much ate the exact same foods as I do now with a few changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of factors that affect energy/working out.

If you're working out (especially a lot) you may need to increase your caloric intake (calories=main source of energy). I can't tell you as idk what you're eating, but I'd consider that. Your body wants desperately to maintain a homeostasis. Sleep/Water/Food are vital.

There are much healthier alternatives to energy drinks/coffee (considering you put sugar/cream in it). I would look into pre-workouts, BCAA's, check out Whey Proteins.

Sorry for the kind of vague answer, there's not a lot of info available, so I don't want to tell you the wrong thing. It's good you're trying to research, I'd suggest to keep doing that, there's a lot of good info on the internet about this. When you decide to do something with calories/exercise, do it gradually.
    source: Former Sports Nutrition Employee

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    (calories=main source of energy)
    I just want to say, that calories are not a source of energy, but an old-fashioned unit energy is measured with.
    the main source of energy intake is ofc food and drinks. Sunlight can be neglected and since you do not take a bath in fat every day you can call food and drinks the only source of energy your body has (reserves are ofc also a result of food/drink intake).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneFrostFire View Post
    I just want to say, that calories are not a source of energy, but an old-fashioned unit energy is measured with.
    the main source of energy intake is ofc food and drinks. Sunlight can be neglected and since you do not take a bath in fat every day you can call food and drinks the only source of energy your body has (reserves are ofc also a result of food/drink intake).
    It's not old fashioned, bud. It's the definition. What do you think food/drinks have? among other things, Calories.

Can't tell if you're trolling or not. But if you're not, please try not to misinform people.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    What about eating 'normal' food (not the so called 'diet') and then workout accordingly. A diet rarely helps unless you have a varied form of it. Drinking energy drinks and the like doesn't either.

As Nike says, JUST DO IT!
    Schedule days with enough time to allow you to work out. Set goals! Decide what you want to do before you do it, and stick to it. Even if you are sluggish, tired, feeling cranky - stick to what you have planned, you'll be surprised. A lot of "tired, can't be bothered" is all (sorry to say) in your head. Overcoming that mental block is the key to success. Tell yourself you can do it, because you can!

Like Bombino said, make sure you're getting enough calories for what you're doing. A common mistake is under eating, and then not having enough energy/feeling carb starved. Your body needs fuel - and the right kind of fuel. You need to make sure you're getting nutrient rich food - try vegetable juices with kale/spinach/celery/beetroot (sweeten them with pineapple or green apple) for an energy kick. Try a banana before a work out, and always make sure you're getting a good amount of protein.

Ditch the coffee, energy drinks, sugary foods and try sleep at regular hours.

I'm currently studying Nutritional Medicine, so if you like, PM me what foods you're eating/what exercise (inc. frequency/time)/your weight is and I can go over it and give advice.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneFrostFire View Post
    That is like saying temperature is not how warm or cold it is out side but just an old fashioned unit kinetic energy is measured with.

A Measure of calories in a food/drink is generally how much energy it provides.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

If you exercise, you'll have more energy and more desire to do more exercise. I promise.

Starvation diets are a terrible idea. If you're not getting a reasonable amount of calories, you need to start doing so. Running a deficit to lose weight is all well and good, but maintain a reasonable level.

I'm not on any crazy "diet" and i'm eating about 1700 calories a day and i've been eating the same sorta foods before I started to exercise as well this is what I usually eat:

Breakfast - Cereal, sometimes Bacon & Eggs

Lunch - Salad with Ham or Chicken & a Boiled Egg

Dinner - Whatever my parents cook which is always healthy as my mum is a personal trainer and my dad eats healthy too.

Snacks - Whenever I snack it's always either apples, grapes, bananas or oranges, yoghurt or ricecakes.

I drink a lot of water during the day and have soda for dinner (Pepsi Max as it has the lowest calories)

So I don't know why I don't have energy most days and just feel sluggish, do multivitamins work for that stuff or?
    Last edited by TranceMonster; 2013-05-07 at 11:22 PM. Reason: derped

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    This time of year will sap my energy simply because it's the start of allergy season. Promise yourself 10 minutes of exercise and you'll be into your routine every time.

First of all, you need to stop drinking energy drinks etc. Don't drink anything other than water or an occasional fruit juice.

Secondly, and most importantly, 1700 calories is way too little. Most males should be eating around 2k+ calories a day and if you plan on working out/lifting weights etc you're going to need a lot more. My 12 year old nephew probably eats more than you.

I never said I drank energy drinks every day... also I highly doubt what you say is true as i've got what my calorie intake should be for my height & weight

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceMonster View Post
    I never said I drank energy drinks every day... also I highly doubt what you say is true as i've got what my calorie intake should be for my height & weight
    You probably are, but that is not counted if you are working out. I am 180cm and 70kg's. I work a grousery store so I lift pretty much all day and work out 4-6 days / week. My recomended minimum intake of calories are 3500. So you should probably double your intake.

Why would I double my intake to lose weight

I do sometimes feel tierd and the last thing i would want to do is go to the gym and workout. But after i get to the gym and i start my workout i get more energy and i feel more awake. I would recommend you just go and workout, and after about 5min you will notice you have alot of energy.

Get up, get out and be active.
    Last edited by joppas; 2013-05-08 at 12:32 AM.
    mmo-champion has become full of trolls and bad admins.

Ok so lately (last week or 2) i've been really tired and I use to get tired a lot when I had the weight on me that I lost (15kg / 30ish pounds). I've been sticking to my diet but just can't seem to get the energy to even go for a walk or lift weights at my own house, I've also been sleeping in a lot later again like until lunch time so it screws up the rest of my day (I don't work or go to school atm), i've tried coffee, energy drinks but they give me energy for short periods of time then I just crash again and feel tired and not to mention the calories that energy drinks have.

So my question is does anyone have any tips to get out of this "rutt" i'm sure other people have felt this before when going on a diet/changing their lifestyle to be more healthy.

btw before I started exercising and losing weight I pretty much ate the exact same foods as I do now with a few changes.
    I've been off from work for 5 months now (seasonal worker) and I almost always get tired around 2-3PM. Now, this is partly due to how little sleep I get (I fall asleep around 11 and sleep till 8, but I toss and turn all night). The biggest factor I think is drinking coffee. I quit drinking coffee last year for 6 months and during that time I might have taken an afternoon nap once (busy day). Then because of my work and people drinking coffee around me one day, I got a craving and started drinking it again. Now almost every day I tend to or want to take a quick nap around 2-3PM, and I think it's because of the coffee.

As far as getting the energy to go for a walk, just get outside first. Don't think to far ahead (like running or working out). Just get outside, let the fresh air wake you up and you should be good. Also, eat a banana too as it's a good preworkout meal.

Why would I double my intake to lose weight
    Well factor it like this your "1700 calories" to lose weight is for doing nothing but the basics like going to school or work etc, BUT if you workout you need to increase your caloric intake eg. you burn 2-3k calories doing cardio that's already double your intake just to stay alive burned away then the calories you burn lifting weights, The 1700 calories that you consume is what you need to cover AFTER you cover what you burned.

An example would be you need to eat 1700 calories to lose weight BUT that's if you don't burn 2-3k extra calories doing cardio and weights you are basically forcing the body to eat it self since the 1700 calories doesn't cover anything now, The 1700 calories is based on what the body needs to consume to continue bodily functions while being at a slight defect to lose weight adding exercise you no longer have anything for the body to continue to use as fuel to keep going.
    Last edited by Souichirou; 2013-05-08 at 03:42 AM.

atm I dont go to school and have been looking for work so I just sit around all day (no I don't get welfare and sit around all day playing games), i'm 19 around 110kg, 5 foot 7 and to be honest its hard to even reach 1700 every day and I snack a lot between meals to reach that 1700, unless I ate a lot more food I dont see doubling my intake of calories helping me lose weight at all, I get that you need to eat up to lose weight but even without exercising on my current calorie intake etc I lose atleast 1kg a week but have no energy.

atm I dont go to school and have been looking for work so I just sit around all day (no I don't get welfare and sit around all day playing games), i'm 19 around 110kg, 5 foot 7 and to be honest its hard to even reach 1700 every day and I snack a lot between meals to reach that 1700, unless I ate a lot more food I dont see doubling my intake of calories helping me lose weight at all, I get that you need to eat up to lose weight but even without exercising on my current calorie intake etc I lose atleast 1kg a week but have no energy.
    Well obviously the reason you have no energy is due to not enough nutrition as you stated "its hard to reach 1700 calories" for your current weight 1700 is WAY to little especially if you exercise at min 3 times a week your daily minimum caloric intake to lose weight at a healthy rate of 1-1.5lb of fat per week is around 2400-2500 calories even at extremes 2000 calories is pushing it especially at your current weight.

I don't think your issues are related to diet, you mentioned you are sleeping in til noon every day- this is the problem. The human body performs optimally when you go to bed at a reasonable time (before midnight), get around 8 hrs of sleep, and be up and about before 9am or so. Try this, it may take a day or two to get back on a proper sleep cycle but I think you will start to feel a lot better