Issues with my dps as fire!?!?!

Hey guys, if ya'll wouldnt mind taking a look at these logs from last night and let me know if you notice anything I am doing wrong.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-nc...93/details/32/

On heroic jinrok i play it safe and use my ice block for the ball phase other than that nothing out of the ordinary. On horridon i save my combustion til adds are out and then spread/cleave to them but on normal they die so fast it does not really make a difference that i can see. Council i always seem to get bad rng with combustions and instead of wasting a cd I will spread a somewhat weaker one than i would like. But imo its better to fit 4 or 5 combusts in rather than wait for a very good ignite. Tortos is nice because i can spread combustions onto turtles as the come out.

My bomb uptime is low on some fights I know that and am fixing that issue. I am just curious if I am doing something very wrong or just have bad luck.

Thanks for any advice you can give, Oloden

also a link to my armory - - - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...loden/advanced
    Last edited by Oloden; 2013-05-08 at 06:44 AM.

You're doing everything wrong. It's kinda hard to give you advice on any one thing when EVERYTHING is wrong.

http://www.methodwow.com/board/showt...ire-Mage-Guide

Read that guide. Then Read it again.

I just checked the Jin'rok hc kill..
    you did not use a potion during heroism, nor a prepot.. It makes a HUGE difference in dps

You should get a addon that tells you when you don't have the invokers energy debuff, while you did evocate every time it dropped off, you did not finish the evocation cast every time.. you only have a 37% uptime on the buff

Your combustions can be a lot higher on Jin Rok with the increased damage pools, just use a PoM/Alter time macro for the first one, and a pom pyro for the second one.

And like you've said... you need to get a bigger uptime on your mage bomb.. it also gives you extra damage through pyromaniac. Just get a addon like TellMeWhen for the magebomb and for invocation (perhaps also inferno blast cd for heating up)

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post
    You're doing everything wrong. It's kinda hard to give you advice on any one thing when EVERYTHING is wrong.

Read that guide. Then Read it again.
    The only thing I disagree with from that thread is on Pyroblast usage. He is suggesting waiting on having a Heating Up and a Pyro at the same time before you use it. While a good idea, the best is to wait until you get a Heating Up or until you have less than 3 seconds left on your Inferno Blast. This is b/c if Inferno Blast is off CD and you get a Heating Up but already have a Pyro you lose about 1/3 of a Pyroblast, depending on your crit. This is b/c the Fireball into instant Pyro with Heating Up active isn't guaranteed to give you another Pyro but a Heating Up with Inferno Blast off CD is.

But for you OlorilSpinebreaker, maximizing your Invoker's Energy uptime and your Mage Bomb uptime are some really easy ways to boost your damage. You also need to be using your CDs as early as possible so you can have them back to use again sooner. On Horridon you didnt use Alter Time until well into the fight which is rather silly. As you play you will get a feel for what is a good ignite and what isn't. Oh and try to cast Scorch less. You can often cut out Scorch by simply being more intelligent about where you will need to be in the future. And then moving towards that area during the GCD from your instant cast spells.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Llewllyn View Post
    The only thing I disagree with from that thread is on Pyroblast usage. He is suggesting waiting on having a Heating Up and a Pyro at the same time before you use it. While a good idea, the best is to wait until you get a Heating Up or until you have less than 3 seconds left on your Inferno Blast. This is b/c if Inferno Blast is off CD and you get a Heating Up but already have a Pyro you lose about 1/3 of a Pyroblast, depending on your crit. This is b/c the Fireball into instant Pyro with Heating Up active isn't guaranteed to give you another Pyro but a Heating Up with Inferno Blast off CD is.
    You are wrong, it's better to wait for heating up + pyroblast and every good mage that I know of does that. It's very common to get 4-5 pyros in a row using that method and inferno blast is very bad damage for it's GCD and it devalues our ignite which is still a portion of our dmg outside of combustion building. I often find myself weaving in inferno blasts when I only have a pyro procc to get pyro+heating up (only works if you have to refresh NT/evocate although) and then cast fireball + pyro.

Than you for the help

If you haven't already get an Addon called CombustionHelper, has a nice built in magebomb tracker along with the ignite and pyro dot trackers. Small window so it doesn't get in your way, but really will help if you are missing your bomb falling off. Can also be helpful to get an addon like TidyPlates which will show your active spell effects clearly over nearby targets healthbars even if you are not targeting them.

Finally, don't be afraid to roll with Incanter's Ward if Invocation is giving you trouble whilst you learn. IW is a dps boost on a lot of bosses anyway (and can lead to insane ignites for combust) and on bosses that it's not the dps loss is extremely minimal, but it's a much easier talent to maintain if you are struggling with timers.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by ballong View Post
    You are wrong, it's better to wait for heating up + pyroblast and every good mage that I know of does that. It's very common to get 4-5 pyros in a row using that method and inferno blast is very bad damage for it's GCD and it devalues our ignite which is still a portion of our dmg outside of combustion building. I often find myself weaving in inferno blasts when I only have a pyro procc to get pyro+heating up (only works if you have to refresh NT/evocate although) and then cast fireball + pyro.
    So taking the average Pyroblast hit from my Maegara logs last night gives ~226k damage per hit before counting the dot ticks. My average fireball was 129.5k. My average Inferno Blast was 70k. So in the scenario where I have a Pryo proc and Inferno Blast off CD I can use my Pyroblast and then when the Heating Up proc comes along that you were saving your Pyro for I can Inferno Blast for another Pyro. In my scenario I did 2 Pyro's and an Iferno Blast go off. In yours it's 1.6975 Pyro's, using a crit chance of ~45%, and a Fireball. So doing some simple math. You can take a Pyro out of each scenario and not change the difference in damage. 1 Pyro + 1 Inferno Blast = 296k in, using my haste, 2.44 seconds. 1 Fireball + .6975 Pyro = 287.14k in 3.05 seconds. Even if you were to take Mastery into account the larger number will stay larger b/c they both get scaled by the same amount.

What this boils down to is if 1 Fireball + your chance at getting the second Pyro is larger than the combined damage of a Pyro and Inferno Blast after taking into account how long each scenario takes. Then it would be better to wait for Heating Up procs to cast your Pyro. Assuming that all I change is my crit it would take (296-129.48)/226*(3.04/2.44)=.921 chance at getting a Pyro from your Fireball into instant Pyro combo. If x=chance to crit with a Fireball. Then where (1-x)(1-(x+.065)=.08 is the crit chance you would need in order for this to be true. It works out to be ~68% with your Fireball. While this does happen to me sometimes during really good procs it certainly isn't the norm.

Hopefully I did my math right. I can't link you to logs b/c I don't have enough posts yet. But if you want to look them up its Casual Scrubs on Turalyon name is Friártuck.

It's pretty much common sense to use pyro procs only with heating up active. There are a couple exceptions to this, but that is the general rule of thumb every good mage knows.

I suggest taking incanters ward. An invocation is such a long downtime and you often need to use it (if you want to keep it up at all time) on very poor moments. Incanters ward gives you much more mobility, and you can utilize the buff much better then invocation.

With your crit and spellpower, your combustions are also rather low. I think you arent chaining enough crits, I have 2k less spellpower and 4% less crit, but I'm doing higher combustions but my pyro's and fireball dont hit as hard as yours. You should always aim for having a Hot streak and heating up 'up' , when you have those 2 ready, cast a fireball, when you have casted that fireball, only then release your pyroblast. If you use this icw Alter time and 2 set bonus, you will see some very nice ignites (120k+ without any raidencounter mechanics). On Maegera I see your average combustion crit is 54k, I wouldnt settle for that.

Also, your pyromaniac is only 71% up on that fight for example, meaning you lost a 10% buff for 29% of the encounter. 90% should be easy reachable.