Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

DkDots addon. Can I trust it?

I use needtoknow to keep track of my diseases on my target. However, I've decided to give dkDots a try, I just keep the color bars, putting them behind needtoknow. That way I can control the time and also the possible need to refresh if out of festerblight.

My question is simple.

Can I trust dkdots?

I know it's easy to just get your eyes up to your buffs/procs. But since this addon can do it for me, I save some time checking up and waiting for all to be optimal to start some ferser fun. I simply didn't really know or think about this addon till today when I decided to stop moving my eyes so much

EDIT----------------------

I've check this several times now and it simply doesn't work as intended for me, it keeps asking me to refresh even when I love strg, making me lose diseases power. so now I'm just looking for any kind of addon which could display my live strength as a number. Does anyone know about it? I can't find anything like that.
    Last edited by shise; 2013-05-13 at 10:40 AM.

Short answer? Yes.

Deleted
    Yeah, you can trust it.

I'd say yes, but only to an extent. If you are attempting festerblight you still need to know the timers on your buffs so that you can make sure you have a GCD ready for when your diseases are the strongest.

Ex. shadopan trinket procs early and therefor is going to fall off with only 7 stacks on your feather, DKDots can't tell you that, it just tells you its stronger than it was before. You need to still be able to make the decision for yourself as to the best time to put the diseases out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dkdk View Post
    I'd say yes, but only to an extent. If you are attempting festerblight you still need to know the timers on your buffs so that you can make sure you have a GCD ready for when your diseases are the strongest.

Ex. shadopan trinket procs early and therefor is going to fall off with only 7 stacks on your feather, DKDots can't tell you that, it just tells you its stronger than it was before. You need to still be able to make the decision for yourself as to the best time to put the diseases out there.

That was exactly my main concern. I geuss that I'll give it a try for those times when one is tyred and bla bla... but I'll prolly keep doing my owm calculations over the fight with my buffs/procs.

Thanks for the answers tho, will just give it a try.

Deleted
    or just get tidy plates u can see all the debuffs and there health on the player

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    That was exactly my main concern. I geuss that I'll give it a try for those times when one is tyred and bla bla... but I'll prolly keep doing my owm calculations over the fight with my buffs/procs.

Thanks for the answers tho, will just give it a try.
    I thought that was obvious tbh, you can't just rely on DKDots because you'd want to know when your buffs will be up together. Infact I use DKDots AND weak auras for ICD and buff duration.

DKDots help you only to understand when your current AP is higher than the AP your diseases snapshotted: let's say at the pull you manage to get 6 stacks of feather and the shado-pan trinket up (along with others CD, but let's make it simple just to understand what I mean). After 2 minutes during the fight you manage to get 10 stacks of feather and the shado-pan trinket up, without DKDots you'll have hard time to understand if it's better to reapply diseases or not because you may have forgotten how many stacks your feather had when you applied diseases the fisrt time; in this case DKDots help you way faster than your brain: if you see the bars green you reapply, if not you keep extending your existing diseases.

TL;DR you need DKDots AND weak auras/need to know/power aura/whatever

10+ Year Old Account
    There's somethign I don't get.

After making some testing ,I found the addon to lie. It was requesting me to refresh my dots whenever there was a change on my buffs, not only when my str was at max, but also when I actually lose the buffs.

If I'd trust it I would simply break ferterblight. I think that I'd try to find somethign that can display my str as a number.

Deleted
    I'm using it and it never fails, probably you just missed something about your diseases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    I'm using it and it never fails, probably you just missed something about your diseases.
    I gave it a new try and there's nothing i'm doing wrong. It simply turns red whenever it detects a buff/proc change. It let's me know that my str is buffed by turning red, so I check, confirm and refresh. Then it goes red again... true! unholy strg is up with the trinket so I'll refresh! Nice it works...

But then it goes red again. I check up. This time my strg is lower because I've lost a proc therefore I just need to keep up my diseases to play ferter... yet it wants me to refresh. When all my procs/buffs that can increase strg are down, it asks me to refresh again with the red color... If I trust it my diseases just lose power.

I've check this several times now, so now I'm just looking for any kind of addon which could display my live strength as a number. Does anyone know about it? I can't find anything like that.

Deleted
    First off you need to turn off the SS/PS indicator. All it's doing it checking to see whether your diseases are buffed and (if they are) telling you to use plague strike to re-apply. It doesn't do any complex maths to see whether or not re-applying via PS is actually worth it. You do not need that sort of indicator as a DK with any sort of common sense. It's akin to using the CLC-type addons and it's just false information. You can also set DKDots to show the approximate value of a diseases tick now vs what it would be if you re-applied... Or use %damage gain.

If your disease application is potentially more powerful the value will turn green.
    If it's the same (or within the threshold value you've pre-defined) then it'll be yellow.
    If they'll be less powerful upon application then the value will be red.

Whether or not you actually use PS to re-apply diseases depends on a number of factors, none of which are easily calculated. Generally speaking if I've suddenly received a large buff (shado-pan proc + last few seconds of feather), potential power of re-applied diseases is at the 150%+ mark, outbreak's on cooldown etc then re-application might be worth it... But it's not as simple as just seeing whether or not your DKDots bar has gone green ;]

you can use a weak aura to track trinket procs or just keep an eye on the main procs (like feather/shado-pan/primordius)
    Check the last few pages of this thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ras-all-in-one

Elvui also has built in areas that can show values like current strength, spell power, vengeance (what ever) so that's an option.
    Procs can also be tracked with an addon like Need To Know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    I gave it a new try and there's nothing i'm doing wrong. It simply turns red whenever it detects a buff/proc change. It let's me know that my str is buffed by turning red, so I check, confirm and refresh. Then it goes red again... true! unholy strg is up with the trinket so I'll refresh! Nice it works...

But then it goes red again. I check up. This time my strg is lower because I've lost a proc therefore I just need to keep up my diseases to play ferter... yet it wants me to refresh. When all my procs/buffs that can increase strg are down, it asks me to refresh again with the red color... If I trust it my diseases just lose power.

I've check this several times now, so now I'm just looking for any kind of addon which could display my live strength as a number. Does anyone know about it? I can't find anything like that.
    Maybe you need to check your set-up options? I get a red bar only when my current AP is lower than the one I had when I applied diseases, then I have a yellow bar to display when my AP is the same than the one I had when I applied diseases and a green bar when current AP is higher. I also have a %indicator to see the %increase/decrease to determine if it's worth a re-apply or it's better to keep refreshing them.

Basically what vmagik said.