Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You know what disgusts me? People who like to generalize and exaggerate to validate their opinions.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2013-05-10 at 12:58 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    no free to play or buy to play game has matched the content WoW has. That's just the facts. people pay for mobile phone plans and yet may not use it to their maximum. they'd better unsub
    They may not match the amount of content WoW has built up over the 8+ years it has been around, but they do release more content and more frequently. Given that's the case, what does your sub money actually pay for, besides allowing you feel entitled to look down on the non-subscriber plebs?

Also, without re-rolling, how much of WoW's content is even viable or fun once you out level it?
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2013-05-10 at 01:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    You know what disgusts me? People who like to generalize and exaggerate to validate their opinions.
    Funny thing is that those who complain about it are more often than not the worst offenders.

Thing is, I don't deny that I do it. Matter of fact, I'm doing it RIGHT NOW.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

F2P/B2P (with optional subscriptions) yield the most money for most developers. Sorry, it's here to stay and it's going to be everywhere and in everything.

/dealwithit
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    They may not match the amount of content WoW has built up over the 8+ years it has been around, but they do release more content and more frequently. Given that's the case, what does your sub money actually pay for, besides allowing you feel entitled to look down on the non-subscriber plebs?

Also, without re-rolling, how much of WoW's content is even viable or fun once you out level it?
    err no content in other mmos is worth redoing because if you're referring to downscaling, as in in gw2, that just sucked butt. never worked as advertised when a lvl80 can roflstomp low level zones anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thread title was a little obnoxious so I've renamed it to better reflect a constructive discussion. Please keep it civil.

err no content in other mmos is worth redoing because if you're referring to downscaling, as in in gw2, that just sucked butt. never worked as advertised when a lvl80 can roflstomp low level zones anyway.
    do they add low lvl zones as new content regularly? (i dont play gw2)

And in wow, that is much worse. the raids of past tiers are hardly still played.

Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    do they add low lvl zones as new content regularly? (i dont play gw2)
    They add story chapters that occur game wide and event content the span all levels. So yeah. And they do it about every month or two (for free)

Sub > F2P.
    F2P isn't made for MMORPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some companies give the f2p like a demo to the game, and if you like it, you can pay for it, or in Team Fortress' 2 sake, it's f2p, but you don't really need to pay to win with their online market, some games have that to speed up the process of getting items, instead of finding them due to not dropping or complete laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Sub > F2P.
    F2P isn't made for MMORPG.
    The gaming industry disagrees.

Its something I've noticed for the longest time, but what the hell is with a large portion of mmo gamers that always want every mmo game either out or coming out to be free? Talk about being f'ing welfare if you ask me. These developers work tirelessly for months or years on creating a completely open and always online experience and you want it free? I suppose every game developer should just give you their game and hope and pray you will give them some charity for their work.

Of all the genres mmo gamers are the most welfare in attitude. They want to avoid a sub cost at ANY cost as with a box price if need be, just like someone pirating games, think they have a right to have it all for nothing and just 'pay when they think the developer deserves my support' kind of mentality.

Its also ironic that in the same breath, these very same people will complain and cry over the complete full frontal monetisation of nearly every aspect of their said 'free game' and never piece the dots together as to why its suddenly become pay 2 win?

With upcoming games like Final Fantasy 14 ARR, ArcheAge and Wildstar, I'd happily pay a sub.
    I have you on ignore and for very good reasons. As I have already opened the thread I will bite.

It has nothing to do with wanting things for free. In direct contrast to your post, at one point Blizzard had 12million paying subscribers so MMO players are perfectly happy to pay. It has everything to do with value for money. What value are people getting for their $X per month. There are a number of alternatives out there that were not available 5 years ago and that means that people will look at the value of each game and compare it to the cost. Unfortunately for them, companies like Blizzard (who has probably made over $2billion from wow) are battling more than they did in the past because players are looking for the best value for their money. This is even more important in the present economy. You also need to look at the cost in line with what people earn in various countries. $15 per month is a lot more money to people in Russia than it is to people in the US.

no free to play or buy to play game has matched the content WoW has. That's just the facts.
    WoW's content has nothing to do with its financial model; the game has been out since 2004, no new game is going to be able to match the content of a 9-year-old game. Let's not forget WoW's current patch cycle basically makes most previous content obsolete each time a new raid comes out.

If a mmorpg is free then the quality is shit

10+ Year Old Account
    no free to play or buy to play game has matched the content WoW has. That's just the facts. people pay for mobile phone plans and yet may not use it to their maximum. they'd better unsub
    Mmm... EQ? Easiest one I can think of off the top of my head, though that being said it is freemium. Not the best model like Tera.

Much like everyone else pointed out, it's a terrible generalization.

Saying one game like SWTOR with their terrible F2P model and equating it to all F2P / B2P games is just wrong.

More money does not mean better content, but you do need a certain amount of income to produce said content.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-05-10 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Mmm... EQ? Easiest one I can think of off the top of my head, though that being said it is freemium. Not the best model like Tera.

Much like everyone else pointed out, it's a terrible generalization.

Saying one game like SWTOR with their terrible F2P model and equating it to all F2P / B2P games is just wrong.
    Plenty of the older MMOs have tons of content, they're just aged/dated and it's hard to take that leap backwards as far as tech goes.

When there is a game that is worthy of a subscription, I'll have no problem paying for it. But I have yet to find a game that is worth a subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Plenty of the older MMOs have tons of content, they're just aged/dated and it's hard to take that leap backwards as far as tech goes.
    Eh, for EQ2 there is a point in going through older content for extra AA points and such. With chronomancy that is.
    However yes newer MMOs are never going to be able to match the amount of 'total content' any older MMOs have. It's something that time creates.

Quote Originally Posted by phenox View Post
    If a mmorpg is free then the quality is shit
    If an mmorpg is subscription then the quality is shit.

See what I did there?

15+ Year Old Account
    B2P>Sub>F2P. I could never get serious in a f2p game, but that does not mean there are not quality f2p games out there, Neverwinter is one of the best because it's all free with no premium accounts or bullshit. Rift and WoW are pretty decent sub-based games, and probably the only ones out now that I'd pay a sub for, and GW2 and TSW are doing great (recently only playing TSW now) for B2P games.