Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Hunters may get re-worked in 6.0

I tweeted a couple of questions to GC about hunters. I added a few extra remarks from other tweeters that related in first question

Q: Do you feel hunters need the most work out of all the pures for spec differences and dmg output as of now for 6.0?
    A: We think rogues and hunters need more spec differentiation. We want the spec choice to come down to kit or specific rotation. I agree that hunters need work on both. Hunters are the only pure that feel a little low, and we are buffing them slightly in 5.3.

Q: Many hunters want a MM completely re-design. Possible?
    A: I would use that word with caution. It would not be at the warlock level. Are there things we can do? Yes.

I think it's pretty clear that we can hefty re-design in our rotations and shots and possibly talents for 6.0 but the fundamentals still in place for focus regen etc.

But it's a welcome change

I think all the specs need to be redesigned at a warlock level. Disappointed that he doesn't feel the same. Hunters have the most homogenized specs in the game with Rogues right behind them.

i want my mana back

Quote Originally Posted by Trape View Post
    i want my mana back
    I don't, i like being the only ranged class that isn't a wizard.
    focus is great they just need to tweak things a bit, the biggest problem with hunters right now is all 3 specs are almost exactly the same, except 1 signature ability, main shot cooldown, and a couple passives. can't wait to see what they have in store for 6.0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    I tweeted a couple of questions to GC about hunters. I added a few extra remarks from other tweeters that related in first question

Q: Do you feel hunters need the most work out of all the pures for spec differences and dmg output as of now for 6.0?
    A: We think rogues and hunters need more spec differentiation. We want the spec choice to come down to kit or specific rotation. I agree that hunters need work on both. Hunters are the only pure that feel a little low, and we are buffing them slightly in 5.3.

Q: Many hunters want a MM completely re-design. Possible?
    A: I would use that word with caution. It would not be at the warlock level. Are there things we can do? Yes.

I thin

I think it's pretty clear that we can hefty re-design in our rotations and shots and possibly talents for 6.0 but the fundamentals still in place for focus regen etc.

But it's a welcome change
    I think its pretty clear you are reading between the lines to look for whatever it is you are wanting to believe he's saying As opposed to what he's actually saying... but, that of course is a viewpoint. I suppose you can try and hang your hat on a 'hefty re-design' but, I caution you on it, as you'll be sorely disappointed if you expect it and it doesn't happen. Then your rage and disillusionment will be your own fault for reading what you wanted to read instead of what was actually said.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Just read the tweets. Where does it say they are getting reworked in 6.0? All he said was that there was some things they could change, just like they do with every class for every expansion. With a misleading title like that a bunch of people will get the wrong idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mana never made sense for a hunter and having to drop into Viper to regen was annoying. The one nice use of it was with Volley etc where you could blowup a trash pack or do a lot of burst. But other than that, Focus makes a lot more sense.

In terms of differentiation, I think the idea of MM being a petless spec focused on skill shots would be interesting. BM obviously relies heavily on the pet. The issue then is what's SV? It make sense to have a 'sniper/ranged killer' spec (MM) and to have a "me and my pet are a team" spec, but what's the third real choice?

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Careful, the rework could be something goofy like:

Beastmaster, being the heavy pet-based spec, takes a page out of Demo locks with Dark Apotheosis and, trying to emulate the savagery of their pets, they forego their ranged weapons and are designed around being melee, along with being considered pseudo tanks like a DA Demo Lock. (i.e. most, but not quite all of a proper tank's tools, most importantly still can't queue in LFR/LFD as a tank)

I say this over and over again. Hunters have no complexity with them. They play Whack-A-Mole with all their short CDs and manage their focus with 2 spells. In my opinion every Hunter spec need a complete re-design in order to be interesting at all, considering they are all pretty much the same when it comes down to it. And PLEASE make Marksman a petless spec.

If we look at other classes just about every class has some sort of unique mechanic that makes them somewhat interesting to play.

Paladin: Holy Power
    Priest: Shadow Orbs
    Warlock: Do I need to say anything?
    Rogue/Feral: Combo Points
    Balance: Eclipse
    Monk: Chi
    DK: Runes

There are a few classes/specs that don't really have anything really special (Warrior, Ele, Enh, Mage) but they still have things like Ignite/Combustion, Mana (for arcane), Colossus Smash which give some sort of complexity together that doesn't involve mashing buttons.
    Last edited by Glurp; 2013-05-10 at 05:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    I say this over and over again. Hunters have no complexity with them. They play Whack-A-Mole with all their short CDs and manage their focus with 2 spells.
    And why is this a problem?

Honestly it feels like I'm one of the few people who is actually happy with Hunters right now. Just reading that they are considering some changes already makes me nervous. We have very few small issues which in my opinion should be addressed, but I'm perfectly fine with Hunters right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    And why is this a problem?

Honestly it feels like I'm one of the few people who is actually happy with Hunters right now. Just reading that they are considering some changes already makes me nervous. We have very few small issues which in my opinion should be addressed, but I'm perfectly fine with Hunters right now.

You're perfectly fine with hunters? LOL wut

We have the lowest dmg of the pures... we bring no raid wide utility in 25s... why would u ever bring a hunter over another DPS class in 25s other than to take mail gear?

Deleted
    I thought it was pretty darn obvious this topic as well as my post was related to mechanics and playstyle. But maybe common sense isn't as common as people think it is

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Careful, the rework could be something goofy like:

Beastmaster, being the heavy pet-based spec, takes a page out of Demo locks with Dark Apotheosis and, trying to emulate the savagery of their pets, they forego their ranged weapons and are designed around being melee, along with being considered pseudo tanks like a DA Demo Lock. (i.e. most, but not quite all of a proper tank's tools, most importantly still can't queue in LFR/LFD as a tank)

I kinda thought along these lines onece, but went one step farther, like an ability that merges you and your pet.

15+ Year Old Account

We have the lowest dmg of the pures... we bring no raid wide utility in 25s... why would u ever bring a hunter over another DPS class in 25s other than to take mail gear?
    Not many of those 25s actually brings anything to the raid. There is no raid matchup that has every single raider bring something useful to the raid without bringing several things multiple times.

With that said I miss the old Expose Weakness that Survival Hunters had. Which increased the damage the target is taking based of the Hunter's Agility.

I've found it slightly painful to play my 90 hunter, who happens to be my main. I just mindlessly click buttons, there's no challenge or thinking that goes into the rotations.

This thread is about class mechanics, not class balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazara View Post
    I've found it slightly painful to play my 90 hunter, who happens to be my main. I just mindlessly click buttons, there's no challenge or thinking that goes into the rotations.
    100% agree.

I think a re-work on the warlock level would fit well for hunters. I'd like to see what they could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    I think a re-work on the warlock level would fit well for hunters. I'd like to see what they could do.
    I don't think we need a warlock level re-work, considering the 3 warlock specs prior to MoP were already styled differently with Destro = Fire, Aff = Shadow, Demo = Pets. If you think about a Hunter then they have MM = Damage, SV = Damage, BM = Pets. Sure, MM was designed to be physical and Survival designed to be magical but they are too similar to differentiate at all.

I'd suggest a full blown remake, bigger than Warlocks to the point where the class is almost recreated, or bring some sort of 2nd resource in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    With that said I miss the old Expose Weakness that Survival Hunters had. Which increased the damage the target is taking based of the Hunter's Agility.
    Expose Weakness was a brilliant mechanic in TBC. I loved it, loved being the Survival Hunter who brought it, and gearing for pure agi to buff my raid as much as possible.

Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work these days. Goes completely against the 'bring the player, not the class' mantra. Alas.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's not what it says, at all, Stop reading between the lines -.-' People like you are why stupid rumors appear.