Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Could Blizzards's #1 Dev team save WoW from bleeding?

Greetings,

As the title says, Could Blizzards's #1 Dev team save WoW from bleeding?

In begin WOTLK i think? The #1 WoW dev team moved to a project called Project Titan.
    Their #2 team has been working on WoW since then.

They have done an amazing job and even though somethings could have been better or could have been fixed.

My question is, would there still be a hope if blizzard would return their #1 team back to WoW that WoW subscription numbers would actually go up again?
    Or do you think it's to late for WoW to gain subs again?

I'm just curious what do you guys think?

I don't know all facts about their teams or anything but this is something i heard over the years, might be wrong on this don't be mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

No, it wouldn't.

No amount of star-dazzling-earth-rupturing AMAZING content could bring back anyone who is tired of WoW to the point where they quit.

That, and people sign on for content, then peace out when they're done.

Content is consumed faster than it can be made, that's just how it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much what Fenix wrote. The game will not grow back up to 12M unless it goes F2P and even in that case, I do not believe it would be 12M playing per month but rather have at least that many accounts.

It's not a question of teams, it's a question of passion and understanding of the Warcraft universe.

You can't just make expansions about a huge fucking dragon which no one cares about except richard kanaak and pandas which no one cares about except a few hundred thousand delusional people who have only read about Warcraft 3 on WoWWikki.

pre-BC -> BC -> WOTLK -> All expansions themed around core Warcraft values and villains who've had previous DETERMINISTIC appearance in Warcraft games.

Cataclysm? Based around Deathwing, a dragon who appeared in Warcraft 2 and got killed by my army of Elven Archers, Mages and Gryphon Riders.

Crapdaria? Based around Chinese fantasy and hypocrisy.

This is all METZEN'S fault. He writes the lore, and he's solely responsible for all this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenArcher View Post
    It's not a question of teams, it's a question of passion and understanding of the Warcraft universe.

You can't just make expansions about a huge fucking dragon which no one cares about except richard kanaak and pandas which no one cares about except a few hundred thousand delusional people who have only read about Warcraft 3 on WoWWikki.

pre-BC -> BC -> WOTLK -> All expansions themed around core Warcraft values and villains who've had previous DETERMINISTIC appearance in Warcraft games.

Cataclysm? Based around Deathwing, a dragon who appeared in Warcraft 2 and got killed by my army of Elven Archers, Mages and Gryphon Riders.

Crapdailyia? Based around Chinese fantasy and hypocrisy.

This is all METZEN'S fault. He writes the lore, and he's solely responsible for all this crap.
    Loved this line. Hate the theme of this ex-pack, but not enough to unsub again, yet. WoW is still a finely oiled MMO, that runs and plays great, but the fuckin story, well, I can't even be bothered to get into any of it. Like you said, being an older gamer, was in 7th grade when Warcraft II was released, it was super cool to see the characters from that game, and WCIII in an MMO environment. Maybe the lore is good, but I can't even be bothered to read any of it. Kind of like a restaurant with top notch service and exquisite food, if it looks like a dump from the outside, and is in a seedy neighborhood, who is going to go inside to check it out on their own volition?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    No, it wouldn't.

No amount of star-dazzling-earth-rupturing AMAZING content could bring back anyone who is tired of WoW to the point where they quit.

If anything points towards it going free to play, it's their admission of subbing and unsubbing for content..

10+ Year Old Account
    no, the content isn't bad, honestly MoP content is some of the best we've had in WoW, but people are tired and burned out.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey P View Post
    Loved this line. Hate the theme of this ex-pack, but not enough to unsub again, yet. WoW is still a finely oiled MMO, that runs and plays great, but the fuckin story, well, I can't even be bothered to get into any of it. Like you said, being an older gamer, was in 7th grade when Warcraft II was released, it was super cool to see the characters from that game, and WCIII in an MMO environment. Maybe the lore is good, but I can't even be bothered to read any of it. Kind of like a restaurant with top notch service and exquisite food, if it looks like a dump from the outside, and is in a seedy neighborhood, who is going to go inside to check it out on their own volition?
    The story is decent.

But it generally helps naught to advance the Warcraft plot.

I don't hate pandas. Give them their own game. But their story in a warcraft setting is utterly useless shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    No, it wouldn't.

I've been playing since Vanilla.

I'm not tired of WoW. I'm tired of devs who automatically assume they know everything better than players. I'm tired of teams who create shit content, shit dailies, and only decent to well designed raids. I'm tired of false promises of "Varian will actually DO something", when he's done jack shit.

PS: Love your avatar. Is that Blotch's work?

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 06:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    no, the content isn't bad, honestly MoP content is some of the best we've had in WoW, but people are tired and burned out.
    Speak for yourself.

I'm not tired nor burnt out. Cataclysm was shit, and I only find the raiding content in MoP to be "some of the best we've had". (Although I will admit solo scenarios, especially Warlock Green Fire and the Loot Scenario are among the most fun I've had)

The game feel is just gone as we play a side role of experiencing the story rather than BEING the story.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

wth is a #1 dev team? or the A team or whatever that has been thrown around when dealing with wow? The team that worked on wow prior to release? The team that worked on expansion (insert name)? Whoever says things like that have absolutely no idea how games are developed. Do people actually think that developers even want to work on the same game for more than a decade? You have to also remember that development started 1999. So, almost 15 years. Game designers are creative people. Most of them dont like rutine, predictability etc.

No because it's not related to content quality. There's a lot of other variables such as the daily rep interaction with Valor Point rewards, server population issues, and Asia abandoning subscription based games entirely.

The content is great. Aside from Asia's sub losses due to the above reason, NA is just having issues since the expansion is just alt unfriendly and more of a time sink than necessary, coupled with server dying due to mass exoduses done by the players to Full population servers. They mentioned that EU is basically as consistent as ever, proving this point more by showing that the western sub losses are largely isolated to the NA servers; the ones having the massive server population issues as of late.

Sub numbers don't always correlate to content quality.

Deleted
    No because the game is rationalized now. Hence to make it interesting again you need to go against the mind of the playerbase now. The game was better when there was spirit on strength gear. The game was better when Class A was imbalanced. The game was better when you could bring a hero class into the game. The game was better when stats were a complete chaos and players had the choice to pick some ugly green jungletarzan chest or and actually doing good or to farm t0 etc for crappy performance but style. When quests were completely random and hard to find and you thought it's clever to go to desolace instead of strangle. The game was better with useless talents and fillers. And better in this case means "interesting". Not because it's new but because it's like everlasting + gives possibilities for underdogs who filter and and and. Just better.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    If anything points towards it going free to play, it's their admission of subbing and unsubbing for content..
    Why? This is what people do all the time.

When they are no longer gaining anything out of what they are paying for, they stop paying for it. That's not an admission, that's a blatant factual statement.

This game is in no danger of going Free to play when other games such as Rift can still maintain a subscription model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    This expansion was supposed to stop that and they attempted to do so primarily by sacrificing the easy going casual experience players have had in the game since Wrath. Mists is a colossal failure.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    Honestly, you are wrong.

If people were tired and burnt out of WoW, there wouldn't be thousands of players who choose to play Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK on private servers. Let me break into you the best part: Some of those people ACTUALLY PAY A SUBSCRIPTION to play on the said private servers. Yes, they PAY A SUBSCRIPTION to a private server, and what is more, those subscription-based private servers also maintain a shop where people BUY GEAR with their PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

I don't play on a private server (I play SW:TOR atm) but I make it my business to be well-informed about what goes on in the WoW Private Server scene.

Hows' that, huh?

Some people so dislike Pandas and Pokemon, that they prefer to go pay money to play on someone's private server with all the assorted glitches, bugs, bugged raids, server downtime, rollbacks and other disadvantages that a private server entails.

How about Blizzard -and you- wake up and smell the coffee?

EDIT: Some of those servers are so full with people that there is a queue on prime time of SEVERAL THOUSANDS of players. The longest queue I have seen mentioned was 4596 players on prime-time. Fancy that. Almost five thousand people queue to someone's SUBSCRIPTION BASED WOTLK server.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-05-12 at 10:05 AM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it. The players went from being a patient bunch (come on, 5-10 minute corpse runs, hated those) to being least bit patient. Than again it was "team #1" that came up with flying mounts which was an idea not properly implemented according to GC. Either way, the patience for reward has gone (even if it is just to resurrect your character). How will they do it?

Pessimistic about Titan because of this, will they make things so convenient (teleporting like in GW2) as to lessen the sense of adventure.
    Last edited by Thrax; 2013-05-12 at 10:09 AM.

WoW I just old. It's not going to die anytime soon, but it's not going to magically come back to life either. The content could be amazing, but it's still WoW and it will be done in the same WoW fashion that the people who have unsubbed are tired of.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Honestly, you are wrong.

If people were tired and burnt out of WoW, there wouldn't be thousands of players who choose to play Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK on private servers. Let me break into you the best part: Some of those people ACTUALLY PAY A SUBSCRIPTION to play on the said private servers. Yes, they PAY A SUBSCRIPTION to a private server, and what is more, those subscription-based private servers also maintain a shop where people BUY GEAR with their PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

I don't play on a private server (I play SW:TOR atm) but I make it my business to be well-informed about what goes on in the WoW Private Server scene.

Hows' that, huh?

Some people so dislike Pandas and Pokemon, that they prefer to go pay money to play on someone's private server with all the assorted glitches, bugs, bugged raids, server downtime, rollbacks and other disadvantages that a private server entails.

How about Blizzard -and you- wake up and smell the coffee?

EDIT: Some of those servers are so full with people that there is a queue on prime time of SEVERAL THOUSANDS of players. The longest queue I have seen mentioned was 4596 players on prime-time. Fancy that. Almost five thousand people queue to someone's SUBSCRIPTION BASED WOTLK server.
    oh no, almost 5,000 people choose to play on a wotlk private server. that totally competes to the 8.3 million playing MoP on live.

also, it's illegal for any server to run WoW and profit off of it. namely, subscriptions. I'm not sure about running a private server and accepting "Donations", but requiring a sub fee is definitely illegal.

also, buying gear? that's something that people wouldn't stand for on the live servers. essentially buying power, that's completely different than how this game has ever worked. so, must not be a 100% WotLK server then.

Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    WoW I just old. It's not going to die anytime soon, but it's not going to magically come back to life either. The content could be amazing, but it's still WoW and it will be done in the same WoW fashion that the people who have unsubbed are tired of.
    This is simply not true as well.

I have been playing WoW since December 2005, yet I only played 2 months of Catafail and 2 months of MoP. I play SW:ToR atm, but if Blizzard was to introduce Vanilla, TBC or WOTLK servers, I would resub in a heartbeat.

I am not tired of WoW; Hell I still play Warcraft III from time to time. What I am tired of is the direction the game has been steered to after WOTLK. I am tired of Cata WoW and MoP WoW not of WoW per se.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    This is simply not true as well.

I have been playing WoW since December 2005, yet I only played 2 months of Catafail and 2 months of MoP. I play SW:ToR atm, but if Blizzard was to introduce Vanilla, TBC or WOTLK servers, I would resub in a heartbeat.

I am not tired of WoW; Hell I still play Warcraft III from time to time. What I am tired of is the direction the game has been steered to after WOTLK. I am tired of Cata WoW and MoP WoW not of WoW per se.
    What you, and a lot of others people on this forum, need to realize is that you are all right and wrong. Because people are tired of the game for different reasons.