Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Soul Link - Thoughts on this talent choice.

I can't seem to figure out what purpose this talent has in PvE. I think it is a complete waste of a good talent point and I see no reason having it unless you spec Grimoire: Sacrifice.

Am I wrong or is there anything else to it?

Well.. lets say a raid boss has an aoe that hits for insane damage.. Soul Link.. splits it between you and your pet.. so.. yeah its very good to use on certain encounters.

Deleted
    Soul Link is great!

Put your pet in melee range hugging the boss, and let him soak up them smart heals and area heals for you to be healed, take 50% less damage and basicly double your effective health. My favourite talent in that line.

You really should try it.

Imagine doing Garalon (like anyone would do that ever again) with Soul Link up, you will never ever fall under 95% health, pretty much.

Deleted
    It increases your HP pool to an amount equal to your demon. I.e. if you had 500k HP and your pet has 150k with the glyph you will now have 650K HP.

Soul Link is far under appreciated, try it out on Horridon, Maegara, Durumu, Primordium, Iron Qon, Consorts. It far outperforms the other options.

You forget that it is a CONSTANT aoe dmg mitigator. Your pet takes 90% reduced aoe damage.

It's also useful for soloing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It's also useful for soloing stuff.
    Very good in raiding. Awful for pvp. Mid term for soloing (except destro). On brawlers, for instance, I rather have Bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrun View Post
    Soul Link is far under appreciated, try it out on Horridon, Maegara, Durumu, Primordium, Iron Qon, Consorts. It far outperforms the other options.
    This exactly! Soul Link is amazing for PvE. I'd rather have Soul Link to mitigate AoE damage throughout fights than take DB (which is really for "oh shit" moments) on a 3 minute CD. Unfortunately heroic Leishen calls for DB and not soul link, I feel so squishy..

sacrificial pact is just too good. its far superior to soul link during things like lightning storm, dire call and rampage because you can prepare for it.

Soul Link is far underated but, (in a 25man PoV) DB is just plain better for most encounter due the way it synergies with Spirit Link totem.

Activate DB;
    your hp never drops;
    you are the highest hp member in the raid;
    you give everyone else massive hp per sec through spirit link;
    your hp% still doesnt move;
    receive a purity at the end to reduce dot dmg;
    -> win

It makes everyone in the raid immune to death (unless a k/o hit happens) for its duration.
    I've reached like 3m dmg dark bargain in certain encounters were the raid is stacked (like Vizier) and honestly it is too good to give up. raid cd > personal cd.

But, again, in scenarios where this isnt possible to do, Soul Link usually outperform the other 2 talents by far (eg. Lei Shi)
    Last edited by HhitSappens; 2013-05-11 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evertonbelmontt View Post
    Very good in raiding. Awful for pvp. Mid term for soloing (except destro). On brawlers, for instance, I rather have Bargain.
    Not entirely awful for PvP since if you use that with GoSac then you gain 20% extra health by casting Soul Link before you sacrifice.

20% more hp don't make up for when your healer got cc'd. As for the above.. never tried, but pets are too squishy@pvp. Also , never seen any high rated doing this trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Just like Death Knight AoE Grip is nothing spectacular on its own but is Overpowered when combined with Druid mass Root and Mass Silence and had to be nerfed, Also Soul Link does not seem overly strong at first there but if you do Arena with a Resto druid who hots you and your Demon you can achieve great results.
    I was under the impression that if a Warlock was using Soul Link with a pet out then you just global the 100k health pet and the Warlock instant dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    I was under the impression that if a Warlock was using Soul Link with a pet out then you just global the 100k health pet and the Warlock instant dies.
    You can't. All damage, healing, and health are shared, meaning both the warlock and the minion effectively have 600k-650k health.

Deleted
    Someone explain to me how exactly Soul Link mitigates AoE damage? In fact as far as I can see, it should increase it by roughly 10%, since that's how much of the AoE the pet takes. What I can see it doing is giving you 25% more health (pet health should be 50% of your health, half of that is 25%) and giving you double benefit from AoE heals assuming they also are healing your pet. So not bad but it doesn't seem to be mitigating any damage, unlike the other options of the tier.

Deleted
    AoE damage is migitated because 25% of it is taken by your pet, which takes only 10% damage from the AoE. I'm not too good at math, but to me it seems that you'll only be taking 77.5% of the original AoE damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    You can't. All damage, healing, and health are shared, meaning both the warlock and the minion effectively have 600k-650k health.
    To add to this, the problem is that your pet is in line of sight all the time and makes for a second viable target to hurt you, not that it's easy to kill. People can simply choose between either you or your pet to put the damage on, or even better damage both of you at the same time with cleaves or multi dots to make your health drop twice as fast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rables View Post
    AoE damage is migitated because 25% of it is taken by your pet, which takes only 10% damage from the AoE. I'm not too good at math, but to me it seems that you'll only be taking 77.5% of the original AoE damage.
    I don't think that makes sense, since the damage the pet would take from the link would probably not be classified as AoE damage.

Consider the following situation: You and your pet stand in an AoE nuke that deals 100k damage. You have soul link on. Your and your pets shared health pool is lets say 500k (400k on you, 100k on the pet).

You take 100k damage from the nuke. Your pet takes 10k damage. This means that 110k health is subtracted from that shared health pool of 500k. Now at this point the mechanics of how the shared health pool actually ends up working become relevant and I'm not familiar with the exact working of them. Would love it if someone could enlighten me tho (if they know how it works for a fact, no guesswork, please). But clearly at the start of it, at least, you take more damage.

I used Soul Link with Grimoire of Sac (used VW) and after saccing him and popping Voidwalkers "last stand" ability, I was able to jump to 700k HP for a few glorious seconds

coupled with Dark Apothesis and Unending Resolve, I've had many a laugh while people blow all their CDs on me and only watch my HP drop in slivers

You can dance. You can dance. Everyone look at your pants.