Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[5.3] Flameglow is getting nerfed... in a STUPID way.

Source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/260412-flameglow/

What about smaller hits like melee rogue damage? 30% of that gets absorbed too.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We recently made a change on the 5.3 PTR to make it so that the max absorb value equals to 15% of the mages spellpower, but no more than 30% of the total damage of the incoming attack.

So let's say a mage has 21000 spell power, Flameglow will absorb no more than 30% of the incoming attack up to the amount of 3150 damage . We hope that this change will make it so the talent continues to be attractive, but not so powerful against characters who hit more often but for less damage. Please feel free to provide us with any feedback you have about this change
    I don't... I... WHAT?

So people were complaining about FG apparently capping too easily on DoTs... You know what's funny? It's still going to. All this does is nerf the bursty damage and the harder-hitting DoTs, while the weak DoTs remain to be capped at 30%.

I honestly cannot understand what goes through dev's minds sometimes. They cannot be this retarded, can they?

(How to ACTUALLY fix)

There's one of two ways. The first would be to buff the SP coefficient significantly higher (40-50%) but drop the threshold significantly. Since DoTs are FG's specialty, I'd say a 30-40% SP Coefficient with ~10-15% cap would suffice. This way, all DoTs are near guaranteed to cap (intended) while bursty is no longer AS powerful against a FG Mage (a buff that it kinda needs as FG does fuckall against burst), but it's still unlikely to cap (also intended). The second would be to do away with the stupid SP scaling bullshit and to just change it to just the threshold (e.g., 10-15% reduction to all damage).

I cannot understand why they think their new change is suddenly going to help DoTs all that much. The threshold is still 30%, all nerfing SP coefficient does is ensure no one will EVER take it in PvE, and it doesn't nerf what it was intended to nerf (Incoming DoT damage).
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2013-05-11 at 05:54 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The only change in 5.3 is the absorbed amount is going from 20% of spellpower to 15% of spellpower.
    Mage in <Strawberry Puppy Kisses> on Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Ataxus View Post
    The only change in 5.3 is the absorbed amount is going from 20% of spellpower to 15% of spellpower.
    Exactly! That's not going to change much besides some of the stronger DoTs not capping and bursty damage still being near unaffected.

I'm saying if they wanted to truly weaken FG against DoTs (which, from the blue post, is what I'm getting at), they definitely went about this the wrong way.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataxus View Post
    Which makes it even less worth it in PvE.. There are only a few fights where its useful and even then its not the best option, given as it stands its better than nothing when you just CBA to use shields on farm.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Which makes it even less worth it in PvE.. There are only a few fights where its useful and even then its not the best option, given as it stands its better than nothing when you just CBA to use shields on farm.
    Right. I'm well aware it's not really a PvE talent (which is fucking stupid and completely AGAINST their design philosophy: every tier should be PvP or PvE oriented, and all 3 can be used in either, in addition to being "Fairly balanced". LOL), but this is a PERFECT MOTHER!@#$ING OPPORTUNITY they're throwing away to balance this OP against DoTs/worthless against burst talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Right. I'm well aware it's not really a PvE talent (which is fucking stupid and completely AGAINST their design philosophy: every tier should be PvP or PvE oriented, and all 3 can be used in either, in addition to being "Fairly balanced". LOL), but this is a PERFECT MOTHER!@#$ING OPPORTUNITY they're throwing away to balance this OP against DoTs/worthless against burst talent.
    It could be with scaling based on opponent level and damage of the attack or hell flat percentage(which mages do need quite badly atm in PvE), but that would be against their current philosophy of not having flat percentages as talents points.

One can only hope that mages get some well deserved attention next expansion with our talents and glyphs and our passives.. Maybe even a total overhaul, but hell have to see.

It could be with scaling based on opponent level and damage of the attack or hell flat percentage(which mages do need quite badly atm in PvE), but that would be against their current philosophy of not having flat percentages as talents points.

One can only hope that mages get some well deserved attention next expansion with our talents and glyphs and our passives.. Maybe even a total overhaul, but hell have to see.
    Okay, so I guess Soul Link doesn't count at all. (50% reduction; that 50% is sent to their pet instead)

They've already lied about the bullshit talents (No DPS increases, "choices", "balance", etc bullshit), so I don't see why we can't just have a flat reduction.

Well to get slightly off-topic, I really, truly, believe they learned their lessons on Arcane for one, and Fire's scaling for another; both of which will hopefully lead to complete overhauls of the speccs. Frost is fine where it is (mechanically), though I would like to see Deep Freeze (Damage) make a return as that doesn't even touch PvP at all.

Okay, so I guess Soul Link doesn't count at all. (50% reduction; that 50% is sent to their pet instead)

They've already lied about the bullshit talents (No DPS increases, "choices", "balance", etc bullshit), so I don't see why we can't just have a flat reduction.

Well to get slightly off-topic, I really, truly, believe they learned their lessons on Arcane for one, and Fire's scaling for another; both of which will hopefully lead to complete overhauls of the speccs. Frost is fine where it is (mechanically), though I would like to see Deep Freeze (Damage) make a return as that doesn't even touch PvP at all.
    Our dps still ain't bad atm, its just that we have nothing else than our dps to bring to raids and compared to current state of warlocks, that ain't good enough reason.

Our dps still ain't bad atm, its just that we have nothing else than our dps to bring to raids and compared to current state of warlocks, that ain't good enough reason.
    Oh I know. Fire's DPS is fine, and Arcane's is good when standing still (they just need a nice mobility DPS buff). Frost is lacking, but isn't that bad.

Warlocks just pwn us in every category though. Utility (Healthstones, BRez, Gateway), self-healing, damage reduction, retardedly amazing Sac Pac, and 100% mobility.

Still though. My DPS is fine; the design of Mages (besides Frost) atm is just horribly stale. ALSO THE FUCKING L90 TALENTS, FUCK THAT SHIT! SOMEONE FIRE THAT PIECE OF SHIT DEVELOPER THAT MADE THAT HORRIBLE DECISION TO ADD THAT SHIT!

*Coughs* But yeah, Flameglow. It's being nerfed incorrectly... For the right reason, but it's not even TOUCHING that reason.

i dont think flameglow will be viable in pve enviroment anyways :/ (good idea but bad numbers i guess)

@ Mrgreenthump and dragon uhhh im seeing our mage just destroy everyone else's dps
    Last edited by Soulstrike; 2013-05-12 at 12:30 AM.
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

it was a great idea while it lasted, back to cookie cutter ice barrier GG BLIZZ!
    Whoops, sig too big

Deleted
    Flameglow is a pure PVP Talent atm when Mages are OP in PVP anyways.
    I would like to see something like a passive Sacred Shield... passively absorbing 40k DMG every 10 Seconds for example. Still better than TS and IB on fights where you are constantly Damaged. Weaker against burst than IB and TS. A lot weaker in PvP because 40k Absorb is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    @ Mrgreenthump and dragon uhhh im seeing our mage just destroy everyone else's dps
    Once again, Soulstrike, you miss the point I (well, we this time) try to make... *facepalm*

Just, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    I would like to see something like a passive Sacred Shield... passively absorbing 40k DMG every 10 Seconds for example. Still better than TS and IB on fights where you are constantly Damaged. Weaker against burst than IB and TS. A lot weaker in PvP because 40k Absorb is nothing.
    Okay, cool. Not referring to damage or anything, and this is half a PvP discussion. FG is OP in PvP atm, so what do they do? Keep it OP against DoTs (like it still is and will be) and nerf it against the thing it BARELY affected (Burst).

So... Just hand us a carbon copy of someone else's spell. Alright.

You know what happens when we get someone else's spells? THEY END UP SUCKING. (Flame Orb and Rune of Power. Take two examples)

snip
    how does your thread always leads up to mage dps>raid ultilty>warlocks qq zzzzz /shrug comparing to warlocks is a bad thing >_< (they got too much stuff)

our dps is more than "Fine" all im saying
    Last edited by Soulstrike; 2013-05-12 at 08:36 AM.
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Flameglow is bad for PVP. It might be better than Temporal Shield but nothing beats Ice Barrier. It's burst > all (at least in arena and RBGs) and Flameglow provides nothing to survive burst at all. And don't forget Ice Barrier prevents you from spell pushback. The only time Flameglow might be as good as Ice Barrier is when fighting an affliction warlock.

Deleted
    Fireglow need to absorb the equivalent of Ice Barrier in 25s with a 1s DOT. Or a little more.
    Until it isn't the case, using IB's gcd will all worth it, even on cooldown.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckx View Post
    Flameglow is bad for PVP. It might be better than Temporal Shield but nothing beats Ice Barrier. It's burst > all (at least in arena and RBGs) and Flameglow provides nothing to survive burst at all. And don't forget Ice Barrier prevents you from spell pushback. The only time Flameglow might be as good as Ice Barrier is when fighting an affliction warlock.
    Flameglow is actually quite amazing in 3v3, since all the top comps are DoT cleaves or Rogue cleaves. What also puts it ahead of the other two talents is that it is undispellable and not on any form of GCD. When you combine that with requiring absolutely no thought to use, you get a really good talent.

Back on topic, when something is based off of SP, it's hard to get the coefficient right. The easiest solution would be to keep the old coefficient, and split the absorb caps for DoTs and DD spells.
    BfA Beta Time

Any change that gets Dragon9870 frothing with rage is a good change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorrinal View Post
    Any change that gets Dragon9870 frothing with rage is a good change.
    Frothing? I don't use the damn thing. I just think it's silly to nerf a talent for DoTs when it didn't even touch the issue.

Glad to know someone who joined two months ago with 5 posts already hates my guts though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Frothing? I don't use the damn thing. I just think it's silly to nerf a talent for DoTs when it didn't even touch the issue.

Glad to know someone who joined two months ago with 5 posts already hates my guts though.
    Could just be someone dodging a ban. I used to do that back in the day when i got ba-I MEAN I DID NO SUCH THING EVER...
    BfA Beta Time