Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

An Idea Concerning Playable "High Elves"

High Elves are clearly wanted as a playable race by many Alliance players, if polls on this site are any indication. A thought, if I may, about the idea?

A large number of High Elves were stranded on Draenor when the planet imploded. Many of them would have been with Alleria's expeditionary force.

Now, we know that High Elves, as well as Blood Elves, are addicted to magic. Blood Elves who gave into their addiction became Wretched. The only physical difference between the races is that the Blood Elves have taken raw magic from others ("Mana Tap") to sustain themselves and have had mild fel corruption from the process.

Lost Alliance forces, including Alleria and Turalyon, return to the Alliance fold. But Alleria and her people have... Changed, due to their forced removal from the Sunwell. Playable Alliance Wretched (Still named "High Elves", the way Forsaken are named "Undead" in game tooltips). Obviously a model update, similar to what Worgen got between their Vanilla debut and Cataclysm playability.

I imagine this would be a pretty alright middle ground between "We Want High Elves" and "Alliance Shouldn't Have a Copy-Paste Horde Race". The entire relationship being similar to that between Humans -> Undead/Worgen. Essentially, the same race in varying degrees of affliction. Wretched would also make for another proper (attempt) at the "Tragic Hero" that the Worgen were intended to be (But then promptly forgotten about).

Meanwhile, Horde gets Ogres or whatever, nobody has to be unhappy about losing an integral race of their faction's history, nor having copied models.

Edit: Oh, yeah. High Elves confirmed to be capable of becoming Wretched at Quel'lithien Lodge in Eastern Plaguelands.
    Last edited by Viradiance; 2013-05-11 at 09:33 PM.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of High Elves are what we just call Night Elves, the Elves that abolished arcane magic from their society. The ones that didn't joyned the nelfs regulations, became the Naga, other (much later) became the Belfs... And a few of them remained as hight elves and are called Hightborn.

High Elves are currently the Night Elves Mages, which rejoyned Nelfs when Deathwing destroyed Azeroth, they are the Hightborn.

This means there is no need to had High Elves as a playable race, because lorewise they are already in the game.

high/blood elves only become wretched when they become lost to their addiction so far that they go insane, not for just taking in magic.

high/blood elves who are simply tainted gain red and blue skin, horns, and then wings.

i dont think anyone who wants to play as high elves would want to play as a wretched. they are basically the lowest of the low

---------- Post added 2013-05-11 at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Most of High Elves are what we just call Night Elves, the Elves that abolished arcane magic from their society. The ones that didn't joyned the nelfs regulations, became the Naga, other (much later) became the Belfs... And a few of them remained as hight elves and are called Hightborn.

High Elves are currently the Night Elves Mages, which rejoyned Nelfs when Deathwing destroyed Azeroth, they are the Hightborn.

This means there is no need to had High Elves as a playable race, because lorewise they are already in the game.
    no they arent, high elves and highbourne both use the same name but they are not the same thing at all.

highbourne are just night elves that use arcane magic

high elves are this

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account

You're thinking of the highBORNE. Highborne were abolihsed from Night Elf society. Some went south to the Dire Maul. They are evolutionarily identical to Night Elves, and the only difference is that they had shunned nature worship and gained a focus on the Arcane.

What we now know as High and Blood Elves traveled across the sea. Many of the ships sank, and in return for sparing their life, an old god twisted their forms into the Naga. The rest landed near Loarderon and gradually evolved into what we knew as the High Elves, which were reluctant to staunch members of the Alliance, depending on the season. During the Third War, the Undead destroyed much of their kingdom of Quel'thalas and slaughtered many of the remaining High Elves. The survivors split into two factions: the High Elves remaining loyal to the Alliance, and the Blood Elves, loyal to their prince Kael'thas joined the Illidari.

High Elves are a race that still exists in game: The Silver Covenant is a faction of Alliance-Loyal High Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    You're thinking of the highBORNE. Highborne were abolihsed from Night Elf society. Some went south to the Dire Maul. They are evolutionarily identical to Night Elves, and the only difference is that they had shunned nature worship and gained a focus on the Arcane.

What we now know as High and Blood Elves traveled across the sea. Many of the ships sank, and in return for sparing their life, an old god twisted their forms into the Naga. The rest landed near Loarderon and gradually evolved into what we knew as the High Elves, which were reluctant to staunch members of the Alliance, depending on the season. During the Third War, the Undead destroyed much of their kingdom of Quel'thalas and slaughtered many of the remaining High Elves. The survivors split into two factions: the High Elves remaining loyal to the Alliance, and the Blood Elves, loyal to their prince Kael'thas joined the Illidari.

High Elves are a race that still exists in game: The Silver Covenant is a faction of Alliance-Loyal High Elves.
    thats not how the naga came to be.

during the war of the ancients there were two factions the highbourne and the peasents, the hghbourne practiced arcane magic, the peasants mostly practiced druidic magic and elune worship.

sargeras showed himself to azshara and promised the highbourne heaven on earth and they agreed to summon in demons, the demons would beat the highbourne if they passed out working them 24/7 and would kill anyone who disagreed, so dath'remar sunstrider began forming a rebellion in secret, when the highbourne captured tyrande the rebels saved her and escaped and started fighting against the other highbourne in the war.

as azshara is summoning sargeras everything goes wrong and the sundering happens and azshara and her loyalists sink to the bottom of the sea and become naga

malfurion like a douche bag tells the rebel highbourne that despite the fact they saved his wife and were pivotal in the war they cant use magic anymore or he will kill them, so in protest all the highbourne rebels create a magical storm to show they wont stop their way of life, refusing to kill all the highbourne at once malfurion banishes them.

dath'remar and his loyalists sail off to the other side of the world where with a diurnal sleep cycle, and corruption by whatever lives under tirisfal the slowly change to what is today high elves.

the highbourne in dire maul were cut off during the war of the ancients and lived in secret in the ruins of dire maul.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

my opinion: as much as I'd love to see playable naga, I's say the best thing blizzard could do now is to revamp the classic and BC playable races with new models, than take the blood elf and draenei new models and use them to make 2 new races with different textures, racials and voice: high elf for the alliance and eredar for the horde.

this way, we'd have the revamped models, a couple of new races, they wouldn't clash with each other on dev time, the alliance would finally stop QQing about high elves and people who wanted to play as "archimonde" (like me) will finally stop begging for draenei warlocks
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    thats not how the naga came to be.

during the war of the ancients there were two factions the highbourne and the peasents, the hghbourne practiced arcane magic, the peasants mostly practiced druidic magic and elune worship.

sargeras showed himself to azshara and promised the highbourne heaven on earth and they agreed to summon in demons, the demons would beat the highbourne if they passed out working them 24/7 and would kill anyone who disagreed, so dath'remar sunstrider began forming a rebellion in secret, when the highbourne captured tyrande the rebels saved her and escaped and started fighting against the other highbourne in the war.

as azshara is summoning sargeras everything goes wrong and the sundering happens and azshara and her loyalists sink to the bottom of the sea and become naga

malfurion like a douche bag tells the rebel highbourne that despite the fact they saved his wife and were pivotal in the war they cant use magic anymore or he will kill them, so in protest all the highbourne rebels create a magical storm to show they wont stop their way of life, refusing to kill all the highbourne at once malfurion banishes them.

dath'remar and his loyalists sail off to the other side of the world where with a diurnal sleep cycle, and corruption by whatever lives under tirisfal the slowly change to what is today high elves.

the highbourne in dire maul were cut off during the war of the ancients and lived in secret in the ruins of dire maul.
    Right, sorry. Was close on the Naga.

I think people wanting to play as Helves will feel trolled if they are given a dilapidated version of them instead of the real thing.

Deleted

Lol no that's absolutely wrong.
    Also you can see some of them in Dalaran (c.f Silver Covenant)

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    my opinion: as much as I'd love to see playable naga, I's say the best thing blizzard could do now is to revamp the classic and BC playable races with new models, than take the blood elf and draenei new models and use them to make 2 new races with different textures, racials and voice: high elf for the alliance and eredar for the horde.

this way, we'd have the revamped models, a couple of new races, they wouldn't clash with each other on dev time, the alliance would finally stop QQing about high elves and people who wanted to play as "archimonde" (like me) will finally stop begging for draenei warlocks
    I think this would be the only viable solution.

but would the horde want Eredar as their race? i havent seen too many horde players wanting to play the space goats.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    Lost Alliance forces, including Alleria and Turalyon, return to the Alliance fold. But Alleria and her people have... Changed, due to their forced removal from the Sunwell. Playable Alliance Wretched (Still named "High Elves", the way Forsaken are named "Undead" in game tooltips). Obviously a model update, similar to what Worgen got between their Vanilla debut and Cataclysm playability.
    All high elves were forcefully removed from the Sunwell when it was destroyed, and only those who chose to become blood elves have access to it again. Besides, the high elves at the Allerian Stronghold seem fine.

eredar for the horde.
    No thank you. I really don't think it makes sense that the Horde would suddenly start accepting demons into their ranks. Warlocks are already supposed to be rather iffy, despite the fact that you don't really see it in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    No thank you. I really don't think it makes sense that the Horde would suddenly start accepting demons into their ranks. Warlocks are already supposed to be rather iffy, despite the fact that you don't really see it in-game.
    1 - legion sends an eredar group on a mission. they are ok with that;
    2 - the mission turns out to be a suicide mission. they get pissed off;
    3 - they join forces with the horde for survival;
    4 - they sweet talk the horde into letting them join the horde;
    5 - "just like you orcs, we eredar were tricked by the legion into serving them under promises of power and glory";
    6 - "we have great knowledge about the inner workings of the legion that can help the horde in defeating them";
    7 - the tauren are like "oh, maybe if we let them join us, one day we can find a way to cleanse them from their corruption, just like we hope to do with the forsaken";
    8 - the eredar join the horde and become best friends forever with the forsaken

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Nope. The High Elves had settled in Tirisfal but eventually some of them went insane. But that's not what changed them into what they look like today. They look like that because they were cut off from the Well of Eternity and the World Tree. It's also the reason why they are immortal.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 03:05 AM ----------

1 - legion sends an eredar group on a mission. they are ok with that;
    2 - the mission turns out to be a suicide mission. they get pissed off;
    3 - they join forces with the horde for survival;
    4 - they sweet talk the horde into letting them join the horde;
    5 - "just like you orcs, we eredar were tricked by the legion into serving them under promises of power and glory";
    6 - "we have great knowledge about the inner workings of the legion that can help the horde in defeating them";
    7 - the tauren are like "oh, maybe if we let them join us, one day we can find a way to cleanse them from their corruption, just like we hope to do with the forsaken";
    8 - the eredar join the horde and become best friends forever with the forsaken
    And then they slap the shit out of the Orcs saying "You bow to me now bitches". They throw Thrall into the maelstrom and flush it a couple of times so he doesn't get stuck. Then they all praise the Dark Lady as their Queen.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard for me to picture this, and I'm not sure having another elf race that's playable is necessary, not to say the idea is awful. I wouldn't mind seeing High Elves playable, while the Horde get a half-orc, have orge race. Anyway, I'll go with this line... A fancy race for the Allliance and a barbarian race for the Horde.
    Last edited by Ceece; 2013-05-12 at 12:21 AM.

Playable high elves with Alleria as a faction leader is my lore nerd wet dream, but I don't expect it to happen.

They could go with the 'changed' high elf angle, but Wretched? That wouldn't work imo. They'd have to do some other sort of change. It'd be like playable leper gnomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    And then they slap the shit out of the Orcs saying "You bow to me now bitches". They throw Thrall into the maelstrom and flush it a couple of times so he doesn't get stuck. Then they all praise the Dark Lady as their Queen.
    I wish, but we all know the orcs would end up bossing the eredar around like they do to trolls, tauren, goblins, forsaken, pandaren and blood elves. they'd send kor'krom guards to the eredar city and make racist comments on the eredar's (lack of) honor on every opportunity. and when no one from other races are around, an orc soldier will comment on how eredar girls turn him on.

sometimes I really wish WC1 had been "undead and humans"
    Last edited by checking facts; 2013-05-12 at 12:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...el-d4tniu0.jpg
    If only the new elves looked like this I would be very happy, and I could see Blood Elves already on the Horde and High Elves joining the Alliance.
    Still to the point that I think the customization for both elves should be different and the two races would be seprate from one another, and still I think Ogres should be for Horde and it will give the Alliance High Elves or some other race if Blizzard decides not to include another Elf race.
    For the Horde!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Eredar for the Horde is a ridiculous idea.

The Eredar have no reason to seek out the Horde and no reason to join them
    The Horde have no reason to let them them join and every reason to kill them on sight.

They would (if repentent) have a reason to seek out Velen, who in turn has a personality suited to forgiveness.

Rule of Cool applies, yes - but so does Rule of Immersion. Horde doesn't need Eredar. It would need an Alliance race to balance the High Elf rehash but with current lore, only the Highborne is suitable.
    And no, your scenario doesn't work because it has the horde allying with the demons who corrupted them and betrayed them and who seek to join them for - at best - a chance at striking back. That provides absolutely no basis for trust or integration.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-05-12 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Eredar for the Horde is a ridiculous idea. (no, it's not)

The Eredar have no reason to seek out the Horde (yet) and no reason to join them (yet)
    The Horde have no reason to let them them join (yet, but they'll need all the intel they can get if they are to fight against the legion) and every reason to kill them on sight. (why? eredar story is very parallel to orc story)

They would (if repentent) have a reason to seek out Velen, who in turn has a personality suited to forgiveness. (what different would they be from the draenei, than?)

Rule of Cool applies, yes - but so does Rule of Immersion. Horde doesn't need Eredar. (not any more than the alliance needed the worgen) It would need an Alliance race to balance the High Elf rehash but with current lore, only the Highborne is suitable. (why would the highborne ever join the horde if the alliance has already accepted them?)
    And no, your scenario doesn't work because it has the horde allying with the demons who corrupted them and betrayed them and who seek to join them for - at best - a chance at striking back. (as I said, they have very parallel stories. the eredar corrupted the orcs because sargeras corrupted the eredar, they can just push the blame) That provides absolutely no basis for trust or integration. (forsaken and blood elves aren't exactly trusted by the orcs, they are allied due to necessity and survival)

EJL (I never understood why you write these 3 letters at the end of all your posts lol)
    see the bold stuff