Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Some simple ways to restore immersion in WoW

People are suggesting complex ways to make the game more immersive and more enjoyable. I don't believe that. I think the method to make WoW more immersive is actually very simple.

1. Restore class specific quests

Few things were more immersive than me being a Shaman and going around the world to commune with the elements. Granted some quests were tedious, but speaking with the various elementals really connected me to my class and made me feel special, and part of a larger world. Blizzard really needs to restore these aspects to the game.

2. Race specific quests

If I'm a Night Elf, I'd like to feel like my experience in the game is unique only to my race. You definitely get some of this in isolated starter zones, but I'd like to see it spread throughout your leveling experience and even at max level.

3. Race specific abilities

When I first played as a priest, I thought it was pretty cool how Night Elf priests got Star Shards and Forsaken got Plaque. I think Blizzard should bring back this feature, but only make the differences cosmetic. For example, you can have the spell do the same thing, but just have a different icon and animation. Sort of how Heroism/Bloodlust works among Shaman. This would give each race a bit of flavor, even if it really doesn't mean anything on the DPS meters.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good ideas that I for one would love to see in game. Sadly they'll never happen because Blizzard is obsessed with making content that everyone can see.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Good ideas that I for one would love to see in game. Sadly they'll never happen because Blizzard is obsessed with making content that everyone can see.
    Exactly, that's one of the weak points of blizzard.
    They MUST show everyone what they have, not a percentage of players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    How do non-warlocks see the warlock only 5.2 green fire quest?

The thing people don't seem to understand is that none of what you suggested is simple. You're like people suggesting all these "easy" fixes to class balance or raids or pvp. You really think it's as easy as "Oh just write up some quest text and there you go!"? Not only is it not nearly as easy as that, but class/race quests and abilities all take time away from NEW development. Blizzard doesn't want to go back and add level 10 class/race quests when they could use the people who design those quests for other things like the next patch or two.

Stop suggesting "simple" ways and look at the bigger picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watch Wow videos, like Oxhorn, MydenFlame. Wowcrendor, and old Omfgcata videos or any GOOD pvp video or a PoV
    That's what I do and then I just start wanting to play more and more lmao
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

10+ Year Old Account
    Its either 1 class quest for each class or 11 general quests that all classes can do. It takes the same amount of time.

What do you prefer? I prefer 11 general quests...

10+ Year Old Account
    All of that is well and good but none of it will restore immersion. That genie is out of the bottle. Your bigger than the game now. You've seen the man behind the curtain and he isn't a wizard, he's a 40 year old game developer from texas.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-05-12 at 07:07 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrichard View Post
    How do non-warlocks see the warlock only 5.2 green fire quest?
    My Mage wants green fire! Rabble! Rabble Rabble! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble!
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syladia View Post
    The thing people don't seem to understand is that none of what you suggested is simple. You're like people suggesting all these "easy" fixes to class balance or raids or pvp. You really think it's as easy as "Oh just write up some quest text and there you go!"? Not only is it not nearly as easy as that, but class/race quests and abilities all take time away from NEW development. Blizzard doesn't want to go back and add level 10 class/race quests when they could use the people who design those quests for other things like the next patch or two.

Stop suggesting "simple" ways and look at the bigger picture.
    Its simple in terms of general game design. It would also potentially make the leveling process more enjoyable, and make people feel more immersed by their class and race selection. Seriously, how much effort would it take to reskin some abilities and add a couple of quests? Frankly I think Blizzard did more than that in patch 5.2.

Could do it on a non raid patch, since they generally have less overall new content added to them than a raid patch like 2.4, 4.2 and 5.2 did, with a new raid, an entire new zone with lots and lots of dailies that are unlocked over time.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do miss the warlock quests for getting your minions, and some for gear. They weren't very exciting, but they helped with immersion for sure.
    Or the druid shapeshift quests, even though they where simple and straight forward.

By no means do I demand any class quests to be like the current green fire one, and frankly I think they focused way to much on the ebonlocke fight and kinda messed up the rest. It felt rushed, which is ironic since they delayed it for 1 or 2 patches.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHeart View Post
    Its either 1 class quest for each class or 11 general quests that all classes can do. It takes the same amount of time.

What do you prefer? I prefer 11 general quests...
    Or Blizzard does something crazy and possible hire on some more people!? Hell, I'd take a single like 4-5 quest chain for my class over every single daily in MoP.

Also Blizz could make things more let's say hard-to-figure because right now, everything in game is just so easy to understand in terms of PvE. The game gives you almost everything. There are no hidden quests, or rewards that encourages wandering around. Quests are god damn routines. You take quest, quest helper shows you you pew pew the mobs and get the reward. Everything is overexpressed to players. Content like hidden caves with cool/fun vanity items, achievements etc. is easy to create I think. Also they could implement some system like ES where you don't get quest as long as you do not communicate(not right clicking) with NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Also Blizz could make things more let's say hard-to-figure because right now, everything in game is just so easy to understand in terms of PvE. The game gives you almost everything. There are no hidden quests, or rewards that encourages wandering around. Quests are god damn routines. You take quest, quest helper shows you you pew pew the mobs and get the reward. Everything is overexpressed to players. Content like hidden caves with cool/fun vanity items, achievements etc. is easy to create I think. Also they could implement some system like ES where you don't get quest as long as you do not communicate(not right clicking) with NPC.
    Mist of Pandaria rares are defiantly worth hunting and I don't know 90% of their locations. Even if blizzard did sites like mmo champion, wowhead, and youtube would have videos about them the next day. They added a lot of the stuff. You were talking about in mist those rares drop mirrors that can copy another players appearance for 5 minutes. Theirs even items that do what the potion of treasure finding did in cata. You have a random chance when killing a mob to have it spawn a pile of gold worth 25 gold. A lot of those rares have one shots as well so they aren't total push overs and are long fights you don't win in 5 seconds. They even added secret dailies to the first few dailies released in Mist. I had to google for a couple otherwise, I would have completely missed them. You can turn quest helper off btw.
    Last edited by worsthitmanNa; 2013-05-13 at 12:34 AM.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Deleted
    Yh sure why not =)? But I think better yet would be to not only add what u say in OP but also create a sort of layered questline for each level(meaning not all quests are accessible in a particular lvl and zone and you can only take a set of quests based on your actions, reactions and choices). Similar to KOTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard brought some of this back with the Monk class in MoP, so there is hope that it can be reintroduced in the future.

Also some class specific weapons would be nice as well, like the Keg staffs and polearms that Monks get in their temple area in Pandaria.

But the main thing that bugs me is that all classes regardless of race get the exact same abilities and icons except Shaman Bloodlust. I would love it if Tauren Paladins actually had their Paladins renamed with Sunwalker abilities. They can do the same thing as standard paladin abilities, but give it a Sunwalker name, and animation. It would just be cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    People are suggesting complex ways to make the game more immersive and more enjoyable. I don't believe that. I think the method to make WoW more immersive is actually very simple.

3. Race specific abilities

When I first played as a priest, I thought it was pretty cool how Night Elf priests got Star Shards and Forsaken got Plaque. I think Blizzard should bring back this feature, but only make the differences cosmetic. For example, you can have the spell do the same thing, but just have a different icon and animation. Sort of how Heroism/Bloodlust works among Shaman. This would give each race a bit of flavor, even if it really doesn't mean anything on the DPS meters.

Thoughts?
    I realy realy like this idea. Like how blood knights used to have different stuff to normal pallies. Sunwalkers, blood knights and knights of the silver hand should all have different named and animated abilities.
    Aye mate

Yeah, uniqueness (you know.. that human nature thing people like being?) is pretty legit.

But these are small changes for an "immersive" world. You want a bigger impact? Remove group finders, have people.... inter-WAIT DON'T RUN, you still here? Inter..? Interaction!

I agree with 1 and 2 wholeheartedly, and with 3 up to a point.

To clarify, I loved how the old race/class combo would give a unique spell or two, it was really cool. But, regarding abilities like the dwarf's Fear Ward, some people would roll dwarf priests just for that only, and some guilds would force their priests to re-roll a dwarf for that very reason. I'd love to see race/class combo spell thingies return, but regarding that aspect I understand the need for them not to return.

I have confidence that if Blizz decides to have it return, they can hash out a system or new spells or whatever to combat that, but since I only know the old system described above I say we have to let race/class combos slide.

I am so for race and class specific quests though, and not the quests you get at level 20 to run a dungeon or two to get some bland weapon, quests that actually make you go out in the world and visit remote areas of the game, for example the old quest to get Warrior's Berserker Stance, that was an awesome quest.