Help out our Shadow Priest

A little background beforehand... We are a very casual 10man raid guild. We are all real life friends and we enjoy playing with each other a lot. We raid at most 4 hours a week sometimes even less. I am posting this because I need help counceling our Balance druid. He just got to 90 about 3 weeks ago and his dps ahs been lacking. My guess is that it is a rotation issue. He is a raid aware raider and I know that if I can point him in the right direction as to what he is doing wrong his dps will go up immensely as he is a smart player.

This is his armory (504 ilevel)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Tesalvo/simple

This is a log from last night we attempted Megaera. We were doing GRGRBRG. Our strat is fairly simple, we from 3 single file lines 1 healer 2 dps, 1 healer 1 dps, 1 healer 2 dps and we move as a group and each healer dispels their group. It was the first time we attempted this boss. Again I am not concerned on why we didn't down him as I am sure we will get him next time we raid.

Logs for Megaera
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/czcxspndh5b2gdqm/

Logs for Jinrokh, Tortos, Council (We 9 manned Jinrokh becuase one of our dps was late to the raid and our server is very dead to get pugs)
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/ttsmiio8adn1h49m/

I appreciate all the help in advance. I usually just delve into the logs myself and try to find any issues using other people's logs but I havent played a shadow priest since BC so not really sure what to look for other than dot uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by asantelises3 View Post
    I am posting this because I need help counceling our Balance druid.
    Shadow Priest or Balance Druid?

he's not using twist of fate on horridon and council, and his damage overall suggests that he isn't very adept at multitarget dps. he also isn't using mindblast on cooldown. sometimes he's only using 60% of his available mind blasts which is unacceptable. also he isn't doing a very good job with SWDeath on adds, which exacerbates his resource generation problem.

dot uptime nowadays almost never is the problem - the difference between say 80% uptime on VT and 90% is only a few k dps. shadow orb generation is probably the reason for low dps in 80%+ of cases in mop, and can be 10-20k+ lost dps.

Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    he's not using twist of fate on horridon and council, and his damage overall suggests that he isn't very adept at multitarget dps. he also isn't using mindblast on cooldown. sometimes he's only using 60% of his available mind blasts which is unacceptable. also he isn't doing a very good job with SWDeath on adds, which exacerbates his resource generation problem.

dot uptime nowadays almost never is the problem - the difference between say 80% uptime on VT and 90% is only a few k dps. shadow orb generation is probably the reason for low dps in 80%+ of cases in mop, and can be 10-20k+ lost dps.
    I agree with the first half 100%.

Not so much the second. A few k DPS is a lot when all you have to do is something as simple as maintain your DoTs. Not to mention uptime on your procs will suffer due to a lack of uptime on DoTs. But I'll agree that orbs are what create the biggest gap in DPS differences.

Tell him to get the intellect enchant on his bracers and get Jade Spirit. He also needs to level his professions. He's missing out on an extra 320 intellect by not having Enchanting leveled and his missing out on Lightweave by not leveling Tailoring. He's also missing an extra socket on his weapon via Eye of the Black Prince.

He needs to aim for 10124 haste, sort out his professions and enchants which will yield a little more dps but the biggest thing is sorting his rotation out to maximise uptime on dots and keeping with the priority below, get a few addons so he can manages procs and dots so he can refresh fully buffed dots to also yield a damage increase.

Single Target Spell Priority
    1. Devouring Plague (3 Orb)
    2. Shadow Word: Death
    3. Mind Blast
    4. Shadow Word: Pain
    5. Vampiric Touch
    6. Mindbender
    7. Halo
    8. Mind Flay

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    Tell him to get the intellect enchant on his bracers and get Jade Spirit. He also needs to level his professions. He's missing out on an extra 320 intellect by not having Enchanting leveled and his missing out on Lightweave by not leveling Tailoring. He's also missing an extra socket on his weapon via Eye of the Black Prince.
    ^That, and he really should run the other wings of LFR. Same goes for your whole raid group, not just for the item drops, but also for the VP.

If he hasn't got into the habit of changing talents almost every fight he should. Some fights having some talents over others that hurts our dps. On Megaera I personally go with SI and DI which isn't the recommend set up for that fight but works out. What I do is keep SW:P up on the off head, while doing my thing to the target head. The extra SW:P in turn triggers more MB procs which leads to more DP uptime which in turn means more MF:I. This alone gained me 10k when we were first working on the boss. If he's having manna issues sometimes putting VT on the off head from time to time will fix that.

I also noticed in the logs that he needs to play with where he uses Halo at a bit. This is one of the bosses in ToT that Halo is a bit buggy on, so it'll take him a bit to find the sweet spot (the other two are about worthless in this fight, although star is better for healing when stacked). Also in the logs he shouldn't be using Mind Sear at all on this fight, unless someone butt grabbed the trash before the boss. The last thing I noticed in the logs was that he never used Tranquility, this is bad. Your healing Druid needs to symb with your SPriest for the stack phases for two reasons. The first is the last stack phase is healer hell time, so all of the strong healing CDs need to be used. Depending on your healing rotation this should be the time your Spriest uses it or he should of used it two or so stacks before with his VE on the last stack, and the one preceding the use of Tranq. (If you ever roll with a DiscPriest he should use VE with barrier.) The other is because it gives the Druid Life Grip, which is hella useful when someone gets the flame debuff right when you need to stack. Having more than one person in the raid with Life Grip means you don't need to worry about it's CD.

Final thought when it comes to this fight..
    If he ever gets the fire debuff when you have the bulk of the floor covered in ice, he can get rid of all the ice if he uses Dispersion. He just needs to call out for the dispell when he's done.

Hope that helps.