Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    i dont think you should be worried that he said they need to lose the idea that its a video game movie, because thats the main fault most video game movies mess up at, they play off the fact that its based off a video game instead of focusing on the story, or they try to translate the gameplay to the movie instead of the story. they try to recreate the game, not the games storyline.

look at the majority of video game movies, they are nothing like the game (the earlier ones get a little more credit from this though since most early video games didnt really have a story outside of the instruction manual)

in my opinion the fact that he said that is THE BEST indication that this movie has a chance at being good.

world of warcraft has a good story, is it the best story in the world? no but its a good one and it has lots of potential for a movie adaption, i think the main problem they face is whether or not it will be tied into the game itself, if it is they have a much bigger problem because wow is an mmorpg so its being added onto nearly constantly and plans change which means if its tied into the game it either has to not be important at all, retell a story already told that we know pretty much everything about, or blizzard needs to have a solid plan up till the movie is released on where they wanna take wow.

look at the fall of theramore and how because things change quickly it just didnt translate well.

so really we need to know whether its a reboot, a retelling, or a tie in before we can really judge, if its a reboot it needs to atleast have a strong basis in what really happened it cant be "hey there are orcs and dwarves and elves so it must be warcraft amirite?" if its a retelling we need to know whether or not what its retelling is something established enough in wow lore, if its a tie in then we need to be careful because thats the easiest way they could get it screwed up.

the other thing is that they need to market this for people who dont play wow as well so the story they tell needs to both be a huge shoutout to the fans AND stand on its own.

they have a big challenge ahead of them but wow has a huge wealth of lore to pull from and plenty of stories that would make a good movie and it has lots of potential for new stories as well.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Its good that blizz is taking its time to do it right, but nobody wants the warcraft movie to turn into the probably never gonna happen half-life movie because gabe newell doesnt like any of the 50+ scripts hes been given from writers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Same can be said about WoW. >.>

Gameplay mechanics are the only thing keeping WoW alive IMO. The lore is a bit of a joke. The world is fairly poorly fleshed out for an RPG.

My 2c.
    Now there are tone of players that think opposite. Lore is quite strong motivator for the game. It had played biggest role in attracting players in Vanilla (Warcraft I , II, and III) It keeps players playing even today. The game is more than 8 year old and still no other game can beat it ! There are tones of new games with slightly better gameplay and new Things that WoW doesnt have ! It is Lore and this cartoon graphics - I mean 1 wrong jump or move in PVP and you are dead - keeps Game alive.
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    Now there are tone of players that think opposite. Lore is quite strong motivator for the game. It had played biggest role in attracting players in Vanilla (Warcraft I , II, and III) It keeps players playing even today. The game is more than 8 year old and still no other game can beat it ! There are tones of new games with slightly better gameplay and new Things that WoW doesnt have ! It is Lore and this cartoon graphics - I mean 1 wrong jump or move in PVP and you are dead - keeps Game alive.
    Well, lets just say I have seen better - especially when compared to recently story lines.

street fighter, mortal kombat, wing commander are all great games, look what happened when Hollywood got its hands on them

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    street fighter, mortal kombat, wing commander are all great games, look what happened when Hollywood got its hands on them
    lets be honest... fighting games dont have good stories to begin with
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    I wonder from all the lore all the books what theme the movie will be based on. I just hope it's not gonna be a let down and even if it is I'm just gonna torrent it anyway so I lose nothing :P

When Sam Raimi was director of the movie it was known that movie would be told from Alliance's point of view and would be set one year before World of Warcraft. Main Character would have been Varian Wrynn and there would be some characters like Thrall or Cairne, Sylvanas and Bolvar but after he left Movie got new story writer and Director. So we might see new plot for the film.

I don't think this'll work. I've never really seen an adaptation from Game to Movie, or Visa Versa that I've thought was enjoyable. A few names spring to mind as being Okay, but nothing worthy of even noting down anywhere near my top 1,000 Movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same can be said about WoW. >.>

Gameplay mechanics are the only thing keeping WoW alive IMO. The lore is a bit of a joke. The world is fairly poorly fleshed out for an RPG.

My 2c.
    then you obviously know shit about the Warcraft lore... it shits all over any other fantasy series even LOTR... The world and the diversity between all races is enormous compared to anything in any other fantasy universe... I agree that some of the personal stories are meh but the overall lore is tremendous in scope and scale compared to anything existing atm... and it should be considering it's been constantly worked on for more than a decade and is still being developed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, lets just say I have seen better - especially when compared to recently story lines.
    I dont want to change the subject but I cant stop myself from replying to this post.
    Mists of Pandaria has most interesting and heavy Lore the game ever introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Super Mario is different then a MMORPG with such a beautifull lore as WoW.
    Beautiful lore? Expansive maybe... and difficult to articulate adequately within the confines of a 90 minute film.

Yeh I will call it now with out any casting info or anything like that, this movie will be sub 40 on metacritic.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    I wonder from all the lore all the books what theme the movie will be based on. I just hope it's not gonna be a let down and even if it is I'm just gonna torrent it anyway so I lose nothing :P
    I hope it's a new story or potentially a new trilogy based on random characters(like our heroes) but with some major lore characters showing up for support... the movie focuses on two bands of heroes(one horde one ally to please both sides) and their struggles to save azeroth, and they interact over the course of the movie with other major lore characters... make the movie an adventure about adventuring and not about a final villain and working to kill him... just 2 random groups of friend dungeon hunting in the world of Azeroth...

10+ Year Old Account
    It might have a chance if they start obtaining restraining orders on Uwe Boll, etc. right away.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Beautiful lore? Expansive maybe... and difficult to articulate adequately within the confines of a 90 minute film.
    who says it has to be a 90minute film it could be a trilogy as big as LOTR or even a series of movies such as Harry potter... each having 2+hours of screen time with Extended editions going well into the 3h mark... the thing is we don't know jack shit about the movie/series atm so all we can do is wait for some concrete facts to be announced...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Exactly this! It will be hard to deliver all the WoW World in the two hour movie! It will be extremely hard ! I fear they might make one more DRY film without any emotion just Action scenes and pretty places like Avatar was ! It was quite crap film I want to say.

---------- Post added 2013-05-15 at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    who says it has to be a 90minute film it could be a trilogy as big as LOTR or even a series of movies such as Harry potter... each having 2+hours of screen time with Extended editions going well into the 3h mark... the thing is we don't know jack shit about the movie/series atm so all we can do is wait for some concrete facts to be announced...
    Yes It can be Trilogy or Series but everything depends first movie ! If its bad than tend will go that 2nd and other series will be crap too. So first 90-120 mintes are VERY IMPORTANT !

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    then you obviously know shit about the Warcraft lore... it shits all over any other fantasy series even LOTR...
    Did I just read that Warcraft's lore is better than Tolkien's LOTR?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for the movie! I'm sooo gonna watch it!

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't actually matter if the movie is good or not, it matter how many tickets are sold. The Resident Evil movies are testament to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

i think a movie based of warcraft 2 or 3 would be a good movie