Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Are the days of Alliance Vs Horde over?

I was just checking Wowprogress.com and i noticed something which looks significant with the realm populations... That is that all of the top realms appear to be totally unbalanced in their Faction ratio.

Almost every one of the top progression realms have extremely bad ratios, theyre either almost exclusively Horde or Alliance. They are very rarely balanced at all. Most realms have 0/1 ratio which shows there is zero opposing faction presence, so these realms are only played with one faction.

US realms have 3 realms out of the top 20 which can be considered balanced - Kilrogg (rank8) 0.87/1 - Saurfang (rank11) 0.97/1 - Turalyon (rank20) 0.68/1.

EU realms have 2 realms out of the top 20 which can be considered balanced - Burning Legion (rank2) 0.70/1 - Дракономор (rank20) 0.61/1

USA Realms

EU Realms

Almost every realm is now exclusively either Alliance or Horde with next to zero presence of the opposing faction.

With this fact staring us in the face, isnt it time to admit that the Alliance Vs Horde aspect of Wow has gone?

Why do these two factions even exist in the game if they have almost no bearing on gameplay whatsoever?
    Last edited by mmoc978ad45763; 2013-05-16 at 01:16 PM.

For the most part it's always been like that in the top 5-10 PvP and PvE realms. There's exceptions of course but from my memory dating back to Vanilla this has largely been the case. If there's a top 10 raiding guild or something on a realm a ton of people tend to flock to that realm and that faction where there's higher opportunity to clear more content. Illidan is a prime example of this.

My realm is experiencing it now with a heavy shift in faction transfers and server transfers to Horde since we've been doing rather well in recent tiers compared to before. People flock to where success and opportunity are happening if that's what they're looking to do.

It simply happened because we get nothing from competing /fighting the other faction.

Blizzard didn't invest on that aspect of the game. so its dead

10+ Year Old Account
    I play on Burning Legion Eu, and imo it's not balanced Most of Alliance are Horde alts, also there is alot more of horde raiding guilds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post
    It simply happened because we get nothing from competing /fighting the other faction.

The only aspect of the game i can see which puts Alliance and Horde directly against each other is in Battlegrounds... and it doesnt matter which realm ur on to que for a BG right.

It appears to me that Alliance & Horde r always fighting the same enemy so why not just merge them together?

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from instanced PvP, which is now CCvCC, there is no real PvP anymore. It used to be you would head for a world boss and hope the others would show up. Or back when AV could literally take DAYS. That kind of PvP has long since gone the way of the VCR, and CC is the new PvP. If you can hold your CC, manage your GCD, and CC some more, you win. That's not PvP. Until the CC is removed or under-tuned drastically, PvP is at an impasse.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    The only aspect of the game i can see which puts Alliance and Horde directly against each other is in Battlegrounds... and it doesnt matter which realm ur on to que for a BG right.

It appears to me that Alliance & Horde r always fighting the same enemy so why not just merge them together?
    The last time it mattered was during the Crusaders' Coliseum, Argent Crusade Tier 9 sets having different appearances and different names according to which faction you were. Thought that was pretty cool, actually, although nothing that would change the imbalances between Horde and Alliance on certain servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Aside from instanced PvP, which is now CCvCC, there is no real PvP anymore. It used to be you would head for a world boss and hope the others would show up. Or back when AV could literally take DAYS. That kind of PvP has long since gone the way of the VCR, and CC is the new PvP. If you can hold your CC, manage your GCD, and CC some more, you win. That's not PvP. Until the CC is removed or under-tuned drastically, PvP is at an impasse.
    It would be good to see something added to the game which put Alliance against Horde which wasnt PvP... right now Wow is simply Guild v Guild.

But, i also agree with u that even the PvP aspect of Wow has been diluted down and seems to have forgotten the competition between them.

Most of the top realms are PvP. The ones with balanced factions are PvE. It looks like if anything factions aggregate on PvP realms in such a way as to effectively void world PvP while those kind of (multi-factor) pressures are less prevalent on PvE realms.

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    The ones with balanced factions are PvE.
    That's not really true at all. At least not in the majority of the top US/EU PvE realms.

I play on Ragnaros EU and it's quiet balanced - Horde / Alliance: 1 / 0.78. Used to be almost 1/1 for a very long time, sadly that's changed.
    Last edited by Tofifi; 2013-05-16 at 02:07 PM.

Once the balance shifts heavily to one way or the other, the dying faction starts dying even faster. People don't like to play on the empty, losing side. The trend is also never corrected since at no point will a notable amount of people start playing or return to the dead side.

The result is that the realms will over time end up being unbalanced. This will happen even if they all start off balanced.

Free factions transfers within the unbalanced realms might help a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    Most of the top realms are PvP. The ones with balanced factions are PvE. It looks like if anything factions aggregate on PvP realms in such a way as to effectively void world PvP while those kind of (multi-factor) pressures are less prevalent on PvE realms.
    If PvP realms have next to zero enemy on them isnt that defeating the objective of PvP realms?

How is it possible to PvP on a PvP realm if there is nobody to fight?

Have i missed something here... or has this problem been ignored by Blizzard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly it is. I wish Blizzard do something about it...

hi, this is an intersting post, but first i have to say the numbers:

http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/eu/lang.de

at least for the population on eu servers are very wrong or outdated.

I play on Eredar, Aegwynn and Blackrock all the german pvp servers where you really find a lot of arena activity, with eredar a bit more pve actictiy as well.

I can say, the highest population is on Blackrock not Eredar the numbers are completely wrong. Eredar is medium/high pop, and Blackrock is full/closed at days and high during the night.

Aegwynn has about the same pop count as eredar, they are just playing a bit more arena und Eredar a bit more pve.

The interesting part of course tho, is the Ally/horde Ratio.

There is no Alliance on Eredar and Blackrock at all, and no horde on Aegwynn, but you did not mention Blackmoore, Blackmoore is probably one of the best servers for balanced factions. Its almost 1:1 and it also has a lot of pvp activity.

So to these data sites i can say the ratio data is more accurate than the pop data.

btw, a good method to see the pvp activity on a server on both factions is to check the numbers of active arena teams in 2s and 3s. Blackmoore here is very balanced. If i would start all over again, i would try this server. That checking fo arena teams also counts to open pvp, cause, those open pvp dudes need to get their gear the quickest way possible and this is usually doing 2s to the cap and 1rgb.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2013-05-16 at 03:15 PM.

As long as there are Alliance and I have bullets in my gun, these days will never be over.

It does make we wonder. If, say, all servers were merged into one uber-server, would the same thing happen? Would it stay balanced, or would the same forces that cause a 1/0 ratio eventually eliminate all of one faction?

My server has fairly even numbers. Can't speak in person about others. But I don't think the solution is to dissolve the two factions' It's too engrained into the story and the content to simply remove it.

10+ Year Old Account
    On most servers yeah :/ most are either Alliance or Horde and that's it. Sucks because I remember back in Wrath where there were many servers where both were largely represented, they were the best servers because you developed rivalries with the opposing players and guilds and would take any opportunity to fight them in the open world. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post

Seems to be the case. I recently moved my main to a fairly balanced PvP server, and outside of CRZ zones, I can count the world PvP I've witnessed on one hand. Generally folks don't even bother with each other. Rather underwhelming.