Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by admeteora View Post
    With the current system of week cap, its not true. You have better gear because you played every week, not necessarily because you are better. With all the current rating exploit, win trading, whatever all this crap. Having ranked gear doesn't even mean you are better anymore either.
    Exactly. This is why we need team rating requirements back.

Every noob has arena gear. Above average players are ultimately treated the same as the noob who finds a mate in trade every week for quick points.

Bunch of spoiled children who wants loot handed to them on a silver platter.

Blizzard gives them the ultimate tool to get gear (LFR) but apparently it is not good enough for them, go figure. Even playing field my ass

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    Exactly. This is why we need team rating requirements back.

Every noob has arena gear. Above average players are ultimately treated the same as the noob who finds a mate in trade every week for quick points.

Bunch of spoiled children who wants loot handed to them on a silver platter.

Blizzard gives them the ultimate tool to get gear (LFR) but apparently it is not good enough for them, go figure. Even playing field my ass

^^ yep. And this is why ratings are completely different than they used to be... because you have geared baddies sitting in the 1400-1600 with full gear that anyone can get easily now. You get a few geared cleaves together in 2s or even 3s and they don't need to have coordination or skill to win the game, they just do it with the gear they got for free and stacking a powerful comp. If there were rating requirements they would have never gotten all the gear in the first place, and thus wouldn't be saturating the playing field.

Ok so someone said earlier that PVP rewards players similar to PVP with gear... Ok, why doesn't LFR drop heroic quality gear?

Yet pieces of gear DONT require rating, meaning everyone has the same advantage.

PVE, heroic guilds racing for fast raid instance clears...What if they could only get the same quality gear as non-heroic guilds?

The fact is, PVP has been re-designed so many times and i understand and fully agree that some players were completely shut out as PVE is easier (having 25 decent players can down heroic content, then gear starts assisting in their rough spots as they progress countless times, and their reward? Heroic gear)

In PvP I can do 100 3's matches and finally break 2k, what do I get? An achievement if I don't have it already. Whats the reward for maintaining 2k throughout the season everyweek? Bragging rights? Fuck that, no one plays a game like WoW simply for bragging rights. Imagine if blood legion could only obtain regular gear while fighting against Method for fastest kills...The world would come to a screaching hault.

THE BEST pvp gear rewards was back in WOTLK (hateful-wrathful) Normal gear required rating IE: Gloves = 1650 rating (including 2s) and then up to 2k for helm and such.

A fix would be to implement a blanket bracket reward (2's-3's-5's, RBGs) and certain current season rating requirement (up to 2k) then have elite unlocked at 2.2k
    the reason you include 2s, is to counter the reason why they removed gear for rating currencies. If a player cant make it in 3s, he has a much better shot at hitting his rating in 2's since arena isnt balanced around 2s. While also rewarding players for the skill, by the time they get the gear, they are facing other people with same gear in their MMR.

Same thing in PVE. You pop into a LFR with Riggnaros' DK...Full heroic blood tank chain pulling everything because he can handle it through gear, yet he's playing with players in blues and greens. You mean to say he SHOULD have that advantage? Thats the complete opposite of PVP rewards. You cant just base 50% of the game around bragging rights. Again, no one wants to play against anohter human for 40 hours a week grinding to get "world first" kills to simply brag about. PVP IS in fact harder than PVE, the fact is in PVE you will eventually get it, and hit occasional RNG. In PVP, you are playing against un-predictability, you can assume what a player will do next, but you never really know. So the margin of difficulty could be slim to infinite compared to your own. But playing against that hundreds of times for bragging rights in durotar, just to be accused of "win trading, or buying rating, or paying for carries"...yea totally.

You cant reward a player that spends as much time heroic progression, as a player grinding to 2k with heroic gear...WHile the guy grinding in pvp doesnt have anything to show for it. You spend 40 hours and weeks of wipes on heroic Le-Shen, reward??? Crazy gear that carries you through the rest of PvE providing more dps (advantage) over other dps in raid...You get 2.2k in 3s... You could go into 2s and get rolled by a double frost mage in the same gear as you and yet they will never break through a 1500 MMR (example enemy comp) Which is the reason why 2s doesn't Constitute rating anymore, but still. If a PVE dps can win heroic gear and out perform people based off the gear, why cant you have the same effect/ reward in pvp? If you really want it, work for it. Dont bitch on forums and to blizzard about how you cant find a partner good enough to help you get rating, or how you have to backpeddle because you are used to standing in place mashing your keyboard in pve. There are so many issues with pvp gear its rediculous.

Going back to the inital point of this post, "what is the point of pvp now?"

If you are good, you will get a higher rating faster, and increase your weekly cap before other "decent" teams. Meaning you will likely have a complete set before the majority of pvp'ers. (GREAT!...that means I work hard from the start, I can have a faster gearing up advantage)...The problem, 2 weeks later, people are already as geared as you. And now to prevent those heroic PVE guys coming in and rolling us dedicated pvpr in our territory, they reduced the scaling of ilvl gear and the downfall of pve gear < pvp gear. Cool, but at the cost of nerfing our elite gear? The fuck?! So basically elite gear is considered similar to Gold challenge mode set? Good only for aesthetic value (xmog)? And that wouldnt be an issue, if the elite gear models were more than a slightly different color shade. If it was the most badass gear set, with NO stats... That would be cool, then pvp bragging rights would be justified.

You hear that blizz? Since you are making elite pvp gear basically similar to regular pvp gear, give our Elite gear a X mog value similar to how gold challenge mode rewards are.
    Last edited by prestilence; 2013-05-16 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    DERPPPP. You can start late in a season and still have GEARING PROGESSION. Sure you'll get slapped around for a while - who cares.

That's part of an RPG
    I've never met someone IRL who plays WoW for the RPG part, just some clowns in game who do. If you want RPG there are so many better options there. The MMO part is much more important than the RPG part.

Quote Originally Posted by prestilence View Post
    snip
    You're saying that better players should get better gear. So they're already better and you want them to have an even bigger advantage? That's like saying the heavyweight boxing champ should get spiked gloves vs a rookie...

And do you really think Blood Legion etc cares about gear progress? You said it yourself: world first. What do you think world first is all about? Bragging rights.
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2013-05-16 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I've never met someone IRL who plays WoW for the RPG part, just some clowns in game who do. If you want RPG there are so many better options there. The MMO part is much more important than the RPG part.

You're saying that better players should get better gear. So they're already better and you want them to have an even bigger advantage? That's like saying the heavyweight boxing champ should get spiked gloves vs a rookie...

And do you really think Blood Legion etc cares about gear progress? You said it yourself: world first. What do you think world first is all about? Bragging rights.
    Role playing (ewww) is very different than RPG elements of a game, sir.

Maybe it's me, but in times past I enjoyed pvp far more when I didn't have to worry with a gear treadmill anymore (ie I had all the top gear for said season that I could obtain, a la no 2.2k weapon). At that point I know I can no longer make the "I don't have enough gear" excuse, and I start brainstorming like mad any time I encounter something that beats me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    Been playing this game since wrath. Back then every piece of gear had a rating requirement. Slowly blizzard started removing rating requirements from gear and now have completely gutted the pvp system so that their is absolutely no progression anymore. Unlike raiding where there is always progression the first weeks and months the raid opens and even after that their are still hard modes that give even better gear. I have always been a decent pvper. Nothing special never gotten glad but have always been above 2200-2300ish. So my question is whats the point in pushing high ratings anymore since you get absolutely NO reward for it other than just too play?

people are not going to like to hear this... buuuuutt;

it's always wrath and cata babies that have this weird sense of entitlement when it comes to achieving any type of success in pvp. obviously there are exceptions - but usually i've found that players who join more recently see all the colorful things that people above them in rating get and they want those when they reach that rating.. if they cant get em they cry 'whats the point!?'

The game is the point. having fun being challenged is the point.

Role playing (ewww) is very different than RPG elements of a game, sir.
    What is this special RPG you're talking about then? Nothing worse than people saying I love X and then they don't even know why or can't explain why.
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Absolutely. Blood legion has to care about gear.. Not only are the a loot council for the reason (who gets the gear brings bigger raid performance, resulting in easier progression) And if blood legion didnt have to worry about gear, blood legion wouldnt be what it is today, at all.. I have been in several guilds over the years that have recorded world first kills (world first XT hard mode, World first sindy 25 heroic, world first 25 morchokk heroic) Yeah those are just entry level bosses to a raid.... But if there were no gear advantage, then EVERYONE would be competing and the heroic "top-guild" demographic would be quadruple what it is now, there would be so much competition it would be just like, what pvp is today!

And to answer your first point, YES better players should get a gear advantage to compliment their performance, that is why there is ladder systems in the first place. Good players will quickly go to a higher MMR, and average players will balance out at their rated MMR they perform at, new teams start at zero and work there way up, You want the advantage? Work for it, grind out those countless hours to be rewarded with something better than what a player can be rewarded for playing a third of the time.

WHy should I spend countless hours grinding to 2k when some dude can make a team with anyclass in game and just drool on his keyboard wearing a special helmet eating glue, and only play 20 minutes a day twice a week....And have the same reward? lol

Absolutely. Blood legion has to care about gear.. Not only are the a loot council for the reason (who gets the gear brings bigger raid performance, resulting in easier progression) And if blood legion didnt have to worry about gear, blood legion wouldnt be what it is today, at all.. I have been in several guilds over the years that have recorded world first kills (world first XT hard mode, World first sindy 25 heroic, world first 25 morchokk heroic) Yeah those are just entry level bosses to a raid.... But if there were no gear advantage, then EVERYONE would be competing and the heroic "top-guild" demographic would be quadruple what it is now, there would be so much competition it would be just like, what pvp is today!

And to answer your first point, YES better players should get a gear advantage to compliment their performance, that is why there is ladder systems in the first place. Good players will quickly go to a higher MMR, and average players will balance out at their rated MMR they perform at, new teams start at zero and work there way up, You want the advantage? Work for it, grind out those countless hours to be rewarded with something better than what a player can be rewarded for playing a third of the time.

WHy should I spend countless hours grinding to 2k when some dude can make a team with anyclass in game and just drool on his keyboard wearing a special helmet eating glue, and only play 20 minutes a day twice a week....And have the same reward? lol
    Caring about something and needing something is entirely different things. Of course they need the gear to have a higher chance but do you think they get happy getting when they get the same purple stat stick that they've been getting for the last 8 years? The only thing fresh and "important" is getting first kills.

You play to 2k rating for fun, I don't think you should play arenas if you only did it because you needed/wanted a gear advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post

it's always wrath and cata babies that have this weird sense of entitlement when it comes to achieving any type of success in pvp. obviously there are exceptions - but usually i've found that players who join more recently see all the colorful things that people above them in rating get and they want those when they reach that rating.. if they cant get em they cry 'whats the point!?'

I agree and I am a wrath baby as well. The reason we all want that back is because there was a better reward. And the time put in had a better pay off throughout the season. Imagine if heroic gear was removed and PVE was ONLY regular mode, pve would go back to the way it was in BC... GO back to a grind race, whch ever guild puts the most hours in gets the reward. There is even a blue post about how blizzard did not want people to feel they needed to spend 40 hours a week to kill a boss in sunwell (muru pre 3.1 was GC's quote) so what did they do? Slowly started to enable hard modes, which sure enough, rewarded players with hard mode gear. The same way they do in regular mode dungeons, then heroic mode dungeons...ELite gear "then" was our form of heroic gear.

I agree and I am a wrath baby as well. The reason we all want that back is because there was a better reward. And the time put in had a better pay off throughout the season. Imagine if heroic gear was removed and PVE was ONLY regular mode, pve would go back to the way it was in BC... GO back to a grind race, whch ever guild puts the most hours in gets the reward. There is even a blue post about how blizzard did not want people to feel they needed to spend 40 hours a week to kill a boss in sunwell (muru pre 3.1 was GC's quote) so what did they do? Slowly started to enable hard modes, which sure enough, rewarded players with hard mode gear. The same way they do in regular mode dungeons, then heroic mode dungeons...ELite gear "then" was our form of heroic gear.
    And we barely get any new PvP players because no one enjoys entering a BG only to be slaughered by fully geared players who know their class insideout. Many leave because they have 90 newbies in their team and even more leave because they left etc, losing barely gives no honor and no conquest. You will still have a big advantage in PvP, just not as awful as it now.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I walked into bg's with pve gear, I've walked in with blue pvp gear... and guess what, I wrecked a lot of people because they didn't know what they were doing.
    Fixed that for you.
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2013-05-16 at 05:41 PM.

And we barely get any new PvP players because no one enjoys entering a BG only to be slaughered by fully geared players who know their class insideout.

I think this is the mentality that is screwing the game. It's not that people don't want to get slaughtered. It's ultimately that there is no point to the journey of starting with no gear and getting slaughtered, getting slightly better gear but not being able to kill as efficiently, and then finally getting the best gear simply by playing 10 games a week and never progressing, where then there is nowhere to go.

Caring about something and needing something is entirely different things. Of course they need the gear to have a higher chance but do you think they get happy getting when they get the same purple stat stick that they've been getting for the last 8 years? The only thing fresh and "important" is getting first kills.

You play to 2k rating for fun, I don't think you should play arenas if you only did it because you needed/wanted a gear advantage.
    There is no one that PvPs to 2k "for fun". It is not fun at all, it is a grind! The only fun you get while doing it, is once you achieve it. So grinding to 2k is an achievement, and in this game achievements merit rewards. And rewards in this game are gear and titles relevant to those achievements.

BAck to my Blood legion analogy that you seem to not be understanding. Blood Legion would not be what it is today if there was never gear differentiation. Ther wouldnt even be "top guilds". It would be so many new guilds everytime new content is released, and the best would remain instead of top 10, top 100. WHich is comparable to how the pvp ladder works, so if you consider this analogy, a pve with no heroic gear, is similar to the "player reward" style we have currently in pvp.

The difference is, this style would NOT be effective or even worthwhile in pve. And subscriptions would drop, again. So why is it the go to solution for pvp? Ther are only 2 ways to play wow, pve or pvp... Nothing else, everything falls under those categories. Yet blizzard must have felt at some point that players were discriminating the other play style so much, so they wanted to implement a way to make pvp players feel the can PVE, and vice versa.. The problem is that change came and predicted the rest of the future for the ladder, pvp. Ther is no more reward for pvp. You can argue it as much as you want, and we can chase each others tail all day, but what it boils down to is facts.

In pve players are rewarded for being "better" than other players through heroic gear, and better heroic gear on harder heroic fights
    In pvp players are rewarded the exact same quality of gear, and is a ceiling, meaning ther is nothing else better. So the only separation is skill.... The problem with skill as a difference, is that balance is NOT always a factor. Frost mages stacking crit gems, ward procs increasing their 30% crit modifier + any addition (gem) crit, resulting in no possible way for any gemmed resilience to counter it. That is NOT balanced.

To compare to pve, what happens when a boss is too hard? Hot fix, nerf, player buffs to counter encounters, basically changes that allow you to overcome that disadvantage.

The only time this happens in pvp is at the end of a patch ("suck it up, love blizzard") or dramatic patches that change a character entirely "early season chaos bolts, or warrior heroic striking", which results in a magnitude of tertiary issues in its own. There is no "true" balance in pvp since a class at any given time can manipulate itself over the majority of other players. When DKs are OP, when Rets are OP, when Mage burst is un-livable, etc

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 05:44 PM ----------

And we barely get any new PvP players because no one enjoys entering a BG only to be slaughered by fully geared players who know their class insideout. Many leave because they have 90 newbies in their team and even more leave because they left etc, losing barely gives no honor and no conquest. You will still have a big advantage in PvP, just not as awful as it now.

Fixed that for you.
    I would have to disagree here as well, lol.. PRESENTLY, most players dont walk into a BG not because of gear, but because of bots. They plague battlegrounds now and is like fighting my NPC vs Your group of NPCs and lets see who wins. BGs nowadays are like watching 2 computers play chess on the same difficulty setting lol.

I think this is the mentality that is screwing the game. It's not that people don't want to get slaughtered. It's ultimately that there is no point to the journey of starting with no gear and getting slaughtered, getting slightly better gear but not being able to kill as efficiently, and then finally getting the best gear simply by playing 10 games a week and never progressing, where then there is nowhere to go.
    You actually think people want to get slaughtered and camped for 20 min in WSG GY? That's a great start. I don't have any problem gearing up whether it's late season or early season, I've done it since season 2. That doesn't mean I don't feel sympathy for those who can't stand it. It's why I can barely get any of my friends into PvP, because the gearing curve is too steep in the beginning.

I would have to disagree here as well, lol.. PRESENTLY, most players dont walk into a BG not because of gear, but because of bots. They plague battlegrounds now and is like fighting my NPC vs Your group of NPCs and lets see who wins. BGs nowadays are like watching 2 computers play chess on the same difficulty setting lol.
    Yes bots are problem, don't think that needs to be mentioned.

There is no one that PvPs to 2k "for fun". It is not fun at all, it is a grind! The only fun you get while doing it, is once you achieve it. So grinding to 2k is an achievement, and in this game achievements merit rewards. And rewards in this game are gear and titles relevant to those achievements.
    And gear progression is not a grind?
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2013-05-16 at 05:51 PM.

yeah, its also a means to an end though. If you want to gear up a new toon, grind honor.. Win some, lose most.. Eventually if you grind it out, youll have a full set of malevolent. But also, the thing is that "new" player pvp gear has actually more resil and power than tyrannical and malevolent, for that reason, to help manage the damage better. All tyrannical is to dreadful is side stats +. I mean even in full tyrannical against half tyrannical players... 5 players can focus me down just as fast if im terribly geared. You cant stab a 3v3 or 2v2 simply based of how hard you can get blown up by 5-10 dps focusing you at the same time. Dont run into the middle of shit thinking youre rambo?! Play a BG like you would a RBG and you shouldnt get blown up by 20 people.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 05:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ramaloce View Post
    Personally I'm happy that they're not bringing in a new set of gear with this patch. This frees up my conquest for other things. Such as buying spirits so I work on my Archaeology via PvP. Might actually be able to get my crawling claw with out having to farm dig sites would be nice. That and I enjoy PvP too much just to stop because of the lack of gear.
    They are. This discussion is about elite pvp gear. IT IS in fact being introduced in 5.3, the issue we are debating is the difference between elite gear and regular pvp gear. and the fact that there is no difference.

Again bringing up someone's previous point - the game is far from balanced, and thus no matter what it won't be a "skill vs skill" fight. Unless you're fighting the same class, same spec, in the exact same gear... which, you know, would be really enjoyable to be doing all the time.
    You all need to get over your hopes and dreams of balance. With 11 classes and 30+ specs, balance will never happen. Players like to use "my class sucks" as an excuse all the time, but more often than not, the better player still wins regardless of class. Thing is, players seem to have a lot of difficulty admitting when they're not the better player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you can get a worthless weapon enchant!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt View Post
    Second, your reward is getting the title or the mount faster. Blizzard has stated that often, similar to why you can still get Ulduar mounts or Lich King titles, etc.
    The problem here is, that the mounts and titles stay the exact same. In PvE they are constantly replaced by new and shinier mounts, this doesn't happen in PvP. It's the same wolf that was introduced at the start of Cataclysm, it's the same titles that were introduced back then. Which brings us back to what I said earlier, a new mount you can get in several colors/spikier with rising rating starting at 1.8k or if that's too high 1.6k up to 2.4k or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post

Your post doesn't make any kind of sense whatsoever, are you even trying to make sense? Either you are contradicting yourself or adressing the completly wrong group!

First of all, I've started in BC! *Gasp* Secondly, accusing people of entitlement (which is laughable) when it comes to achieving something in PvP is completly ridiculous. Nobody here is demanding that they're handed some kind of rating or anything, you really might want to think about what you're writing before you do.

People here aren't demanding to get something "higher rated" people get, most of them are demanding that people who are far, far lower rated don't get what used to be their rewards for reaching higher ratings. If anything, the people full of entitlement crying that everything should be made accessible have already won and that irks the people who used to have all that delicious stuff for themselves.

The whole pointlesness of pushing rating comes from the fact that there simply are no more even remotely worthwhile rewards left at this point, they are all gone. The only exception being gladiator mounts whom even most multi season gladiators CAN'T GET ANYMORE because the participation dropped to an all time low due to all the changes made in Cataclysm and Pandaria. Were previously you had a whole bunch of teams getting gladiator nowadays the named gladiator is the only gladiator in quite a few realmpools because of low participation.

So unless you are going for rank 1, there aren't any kind of rewards left in Arena or RBG anymore that the guy that just caps points once a week can't get aswell. And yes, this is a problem. If they remove all the prestigious stuff they OUGHT to introduce something to replace them. If they don't want it to be gear, they should introduce more vanity rewards such as mount, pets and seasonal titles that become FoS once the season ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by resonance7982 View Post
    ..titles, prestige, adding special tabards, cloaks, gear, etc for high ratings. Most people don't pvp for a gear grind. they pvp to pvp and gain the prestige that comes with being good at it. It's all for looks. They want pvp to be on an even field, as it should be. gear should not win fights for you.
    right-now tell that to a fully geared pver that face rolls a fully geared pvper when hes out doing dailys.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I'll link you to this thread: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...e-gear-in-pvp/

same question answered by the blues!

basically there is gear progression - crafted -> honor -> conquest -> bonus cosmetic bits

play because its fun, play because you enjoy the challenge! once you get full conquest its about the competition, your gear is optimised for pvp - so pvp! push the high ratings and see if you can get gladiator or something.
    then do the same for pve right?all gear should be the same.if you take down a heroic 25 man boss,your gera should be the same as raid finder.because its all about competition against npcs,its all about fun.you run herioc raids because your skilled "lol" heroic raiders should not have a gear advantage over less skilled players in RF.just run end game raids and try to be world first or for achs,not for the gear.

rating requirements have been removed from gear "and i agree with that" all you have to do is play your toon and you can get the best pvp gear in game.how the fuck its that hard?just fing playing and the gear is yours.
    Last edited by meathead; 2013-05-16 at 06:52 PM.