Poll: Would you eat insects on a regular basis?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

United Nations urging people to eat insects "to fight world hunger"

The report by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization says that eating insects could help boost nutrition and reduce pollution.

It notes than over 2 billion people worldwide already supplement their diet with insects.

However it admits that "consumer disgust" remains a large barrier in many Western countries.

Wasps, beetles and other insects are currently "underutilised" as food for people and livestock, the report says. Insect farming is "one of the many ways to address food and feed security".

"Insects are everywhere and they reproduce quickly, and they have high growth and feed conversion rates and a low environmental footprint," according to the report.

[...] Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22508439
    Would you eat insects?

Eating arthopods is already very common, every heard of crab, shrip etc. These just live on land. They are rather nutritious, and a decent solution to hunger problems in less developed countries.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were hungry enough, sure.

However I otherwise remain in the "consumer disgust" camp.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Good luck with that UN.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Eating arthopods is already very common, every heard of crab, shrip etc. These just live on land. They are rather nutritious, and a decent solution to hunger problems in less developed countries.
    Dammit, now I want crab. Pity the good kind is so fucking expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went to an African themed presentation, and ate grasshoppers (may have been locusts), and ants (they were quite big ones), and they tasted like shit.

I'm usually open to eating anything, and will actively seek out the more exotic types of food, so I was disappointed.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2013-05-16 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    Over my dead body, I have a phobia for insects, spiders and similar creatures. I don't give a flying fuck if they're healthy or tasty, I won't even touch them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put it in my grocery store, and I'll try it.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    oh, i guess i'll just become a full vegetarian. i barely ever eat any meat, but a little fish, i'd do just fine without either.

Quote Originally Posted by Haftepaff View Post
    Over my dead body, I have a phobia for insects, spiders and similar creatures. I don't give a flying fuck if they're healthy or tasty, I won't even touch them.
    you no likey crayfish boil?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Yes I would, but I don't prefer to. It's mostly a mental barrier and we are all already eating insects, we just don't think about it.

For me, been there done that, you can buy all kind of stuff in Thailand.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    you no likey crayfish boil?
    I love crayfish and lobsters but that's different, I have a phobia for those land crawling things.

They wouldn't eat the lab-made food we tried to give them

I love crayfish and lobsters but that's different, I have a phobia for those land crawling things.
    The only difference is where they live. Land vs. water.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I've eaten ants and bees before. Not a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I have a phobia for those land crawling things.
    You get those anyways buddy, in your flour, bread etc. You just don't see them, but nothing is 100% clean.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    You get those anyways buddy, in your flour, bread etc. You just don't see them, but nothing is 100% clean.
    Don't forget animal turds.

Very disappointing at a young age to hear that the "acceptable quantity of mouse shit in grain" is actually a number above zero.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only difference is where they live. Land vs. water.
    and their appearance and their ability to sneak into my room at night and try to share the same bed 0o

Deleted
    "to fight world hunger"

- Stop the production of fucking meat

- Stop the production of alcohol

- Stop those fucking " birth politic "

- Dismantled this fucking monsanto creating more and more non-arable land with their fucking shit.

- Stop poisoning all the rivers, seas and oceans.

And let the nature growing instead of this whole necromancy shit

UN = stupid attention whores

Deleted
    I definitely would and I really hope this thing catches momentum now. There have been already some studies on this thing and they show that insects would be a much more viable, cheaper, environmental friendly way to provide protein than the current meat industry.

I'm all for it and would try it already if there were viable ways/sources where I live. But as of right now I could only order some online and it'd be pretty darn expensive. And that's the problem. Insects should be cheaper than beef etc., they require less ressources to produce etc.
    So once we're at a point where you can get insects at some/most shops, and cheaper than meat, I'll go for it. But I don't wanna spend *more* on it than I'd spend on filet steak...

Would it take some time/effort to overcome the culturally inherited "yuck!" factor? Definitely. But rationally I very much support this idea and would follow through on it.