10H Iron Qon, appreciate suggestion about ret pally

Hey guys so we attempt 10H Iron Qon the first night tonight. We 1 tanked it, using the strat that range soak first few, and melee soak the rest 8ish, with a melee group like:

blood dk, MW monk, frost dk, ret pally

So far p1 still looks dangerous. Besides RNG and relatively lower dps than what ppl said, 2 melee dps sometimes still died of either aoe or the spear thing at high stacks. (tank and monk are usually fine) So I was wondering, if anyone has done it as ret pally, any tips about surviving that phase? Like how to choose talent or rotate cd, etc.

And any other suggestion also appreciated

Thank you!

Deleted
    You will have to list what raid cds u have as well, as you are asking how to deal with ~8 stacks and personals are just part of a bigger picture. Self healer to help ur healers to get topped if needed should be better as sacred shield wont reduce the dmg much, but you should get it if u are getting close overkills.I guess you should repost in raid and dungeons section with a better explanation what happens and what is the full comp of ur raid. From what you say i could only guess your melees are dying due to lack of comunication between your raid leader and melees, thus leading to bad asignment of raid cds.

You can bubble to reset your stacks as a ret paladin. Use a CD rotation for stacks past probably 4-5. Rogues can cloak off stacks, and I think DKs can AMS to PREVENT getting a stack, but will keep their previous stacks. I would reset after using divine protection at some point after 5-6 stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Revvo View Post
    You can bubble to reset your stacks as a ret paladin. Use a CD rotation for stacks past probably 4-5. Rogues can cloak off stacks, and I think DKs can AMS to PREVENT getting a stack, but will keep their previous stacks. I would reset after using divine protection at some point after 5-6 stacks.
    That's actually a good idea. Do you happen to know if HoP will reset stack as well?

Deleted
    Well, my raidgroup kinda cheats that phase. We use a rogue, monk/warrior tank and me (retri) in melee. Rogue and tank obviously survive A LOT of stacks. I just bubble off my stacks at like 5.

If we get higher than 8, we just let ranged stack up again. Should be no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    That's actually a good idea. Do you happen to know if HoP will reset stack as well?
    HoP doesnt reset stacks. Only the tank debuff, obviously.

Why would you even bother taking 8 stacks and risk melees dying when you can easily do it with less?

Because you mentioned low dps, I'd suggest using something like: ranged camp 1: 2 stacks, melees: 4-5 stacks, ranged camp 1: 1-2 stacks. My raid usually managed to push him over shortly after the melees had to stack but on the first few kills, we just had the melees take new stacks as soon as their debuff expired. The 2nd ranged camp should be ready to take 1-2 stacks as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by meteo View Post
    Why would you even bother taking 8 stacks and risk melees dying when you can easily do it with less?

Because you mentioned low dps, I'd suggest using something like: ranged camp 1: 2 stacks, melees: 4-5 stacks, ranged camp 1: 1-2 stacks. My raid usually managed to push him over shortly after the melees had to stack but on the first few kills, we just had the melees take new stacks as soon as their debuff expired. The 2nd ranged camp should be ready to take 1-2 stacks as a backup.

We use similar, at start Melee group takes 3 we split, range takes 2-3 and then melee take the rest which is about 7 stacks and boss transition at that point or we split at 6 stacks since boss energy is very low and will transition him before 100 energy.
    We start rolling CD's around 4th or 5th stack, first Anti magic zone then for next stack demo banner and for 7th Spirit Link
    Last edited by Monoroth; 2013-05-18 at 01:52 PM.

With 4 people in melee you can do 2 ranged camps and just have them take 2 stacks each which let's melee reset their stacks. 2 stacks isn't that dangerous, only issue is that ranged camps need to move as a group if they get targeted by a spear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    With 4 people in melee you can do 2 ranged camps and just have them take 2 stacks each which let's melee reset their stacks. 2 stacks isn't that dangerous, only issue is that ranged camps need to move as a group if they get targeted by a spear.
    This is true, the only danger of wiping in this phase is the spear, so we just have the melee stack until first (or maybe 2nd) spear is out, then ranged take 3 stacks, and then melee just stack for the rest of them (breaking at 7/8).

The good thing about doing this strat is the damage is predictable and with all ranged spread out spear will always be dodged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Hey guys so we attempt 10H Iron Qon the first night tonight. We 1 tanked it, using the strat that range soak first few, and melee soak the rest 8ish, with a melee group like:

blood dk, MW monk, frost dk, ret pally

So far p1 still looks dangerous. Besides RNG and relatively lower dps than what ppl said, 2 melee dps sometimes still died of either aoe or the spear thing at high stacks. (tank and monk are usually fine) So I was wondering, if anyone has done it as ret pally, any tips about surviving that phase? Like how to choose talent or rotate cd, etc.

And any other suggestion also appreciated

Thank you!
    If you're getting hit by the trails of fire from spears, while in melee, then your tank could react a little quicker to move the boss into a slightly safer position. As a tank myself, it's my job in my guilds raids to look out for these spear trails, and re-position accordingly so that the melee are safe.

We do usually go: Ranged group take 2, melee group take the rest, but the boss transitions at around 5 stacks. However, as someone has already pointed out, you can drop stacks with bubble - I'm almost certain that our DK drops his somehow too, though I may be wrong, AMS?. Our rogue has no problems of course. As your tank is included in your melee group, it would probably be safer to just have 2 ranged camps for your first kills. Progress > Risky Strats.

When we first started using the melee derp tactic, we did throw down a pw:barrier on the melee for stacks 6 or 7 and a occasionally a devotion aura if needed (we have the benefit of a smoke bomb). There's not really much need for raid CD's until the last phase, so it's usually safe to use one if you feel it's necessary.

Thank you all for reply.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 12:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tekagi View Post
    If you're getting hit by the trails of fire from spears, while in melee, then your tank could react a little quicker to move the boss into a slightly safer position. As a tank myself, it's my job in my guilds raids to look out for these spear trails, and re-position accordingly so that the melee are safe.

We do usually go: Ranged group take 2, melee group take the rest, but the boss transitions at around 5 stacks. However, as someone has already pointed out, you can drop stacks with bubble - I'm almost certain that our DK drops his somehow too, though I may be wrong, AMS?. Our rogue has no problems of course. As your tank is included in your melee group, it would probably be safer to just have 2 ranged camps for your first kills. Progress > Risky Strats.

When we first started using the melee derp tactic, we did throw down a pw:barrier on the melee for stacks 6 or 7 and a occasionally a devotion aura if needed (we have the benefit of a smoke bomb). There's not really much need for raid CD's until the last phase, so it's usually safe to use one if you feel it's necessary.
    That sounds interesting. I know AMS can prevent stacks from applying, but there isn't enough time for it to drop, unless he steps out. Would you mind ask him how he did it, if possible?

Thank you!