10+ Year Old Account

Samsung 830 or Samsung 840 Pro

Hey. I was going to get a Samsung 128GB 830 SSD (reliability), but with the new Samsung 840s, I was thinking of getting that. The 128GB version (the one I'd get) seems to have no reliability issues (while the 256gb and 512gb seem to have bad reliability based off Newegg reviews)... while also being a lot faster than the 830.

So, should I get the 840 pro or stick with the 830?

being a lot faster than the 830
    The 830 is one of the fastest SSD's out there. You will not notice the increase when you get an 840 tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    The 830 is one of the fastest SSD's out there. You will not notice the increase when you get an 840 tbh.
    I don't have the 830, and I'm talking about the 840 Pro.

Does the difference in 4KB write (30,000 on 830 --- 90,000 on 840) matter?

So sticking to the 830 (because of reliability and being cheaper) is the smarter idea? Thanks.
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-11-22 at 09:52 PM.

The 830 is already a great drive and if you wait around for some deals you can get a 256GB 830 for a little more than that 128GB 840 Pro(I picked mine up for $160). Plus you most likely won't notice the $50 in speed between the two drives except in benchmarks.
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    I don't have the 830, and I'm talking about the 840 Pro.

Does the difference in 4KB write (30,000 on 830 --- 90,000 on 840) matter?

So sticking to the 830 (because of reliability and being cheaper) is the smarter idea? Thanks.
    in a daily use situation, you wont notice the difference between an older SATA2 SSD and a new top speed SATA3 SSD, only with large file transfers and benchmarks are you able to spot a difference

so between the two, unless you are running a data server, you wont notice a difference between the 830 and the 840

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    in a daily use situation, you wont notice the difference between an older SATA2 SSD and a new top speed SATA3 SSD, only with large file transfers and benchmarks are you able to spot a difference

so between the two, unless you are running a data server, you wont notice a difference between the 830 and the 840
    Ok great, thanks. I'll buy the 830 on Cyber Monday .

And since no one responded to my other thread, do you buys know of a good clip on mic? I was looking at the Zalman ZM-Mic1, but apparently it doesn't do a good job at noise cancellation.

Ok great, thanks. I'll buy the 830 on Cyber Monday .

And since no one responded to my other thread, do you buys know of a good clip on mic? I was looking at the Zalman ZM-Mic1, but apparently it doesn't do a good job at noise cancellation.
    Why would you buy an older model?

Samsung 830 Basic
    Samsung 840 Basic
    Samsung 840 Pro (high-end model)

840 basic & 830 basic are costing the same.

840 basic 89eur -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147188

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Why would you buy an older model?

Samsung 830 Basic
    Samsung 840 Basic
    Samsung 840 Pro (high-end model)

840 basic & 830 basic are costing the same.

840 basic 89eur -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147188
    The 830 is better than the 840 (non pro). Or so I've heard. And cheaper. And faster. The 840 (basic) also uses cheap memory.
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-11-23 at 01:17 AM.

This chart HERE will show some of the differences between the 830 and 840 from Samsung.

This article HERE explains the differences in architecture of the NAND memory used in the 840 compared to the 830. TLC nand is a lower grade quality memory chip than MLC. Whether the average user will see any degradation over time is still yet to be seen due to the different voltage stages that TLC requires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sherman9800 View Post
    This chart HERE will show some of the differences between the 830 and 840 from Samsung.

This article HERE explains the differences in architecture of the NAND memory used in the 840 compared to the 830. TLC nand is a lower grade quality memory chip than MLC. Whether the average user will see any degradation over time is still yet to be seen due to the different voltage stages that TLC requires.
    Thanks! I'm going to be going with the 830 because it'll be my first SSD ever and it's cheap. If I feel like I need a new SSD later, I'll wait for the generation after the 840, or maybe the generation after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    This test is in swedish but you shouldn't have any problems understanding this part, and it's also quite relevant for this topic:

http://www.sweclockers.com/recension...en/15#pagehead

Green = "In new condition"
    Red = "After torture-test"
    Yellow = "After TRIM"

The Samsung 840 doesn't perform brilliantly here tbh. It loses at lot of performance after the torture-test and TRIM fails to bring it back to its original level. True, with "normal" usage it shouldn't have much of a problem, torture-test is designed to stress it to the max, but it's still something to keep in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    And right as I said I'd go with the Samsung 830, I hop on Newegg at 6am to find this Kingston Hyperx 3k!

$150 for 240GB! WOW! What a great deal. If you want it, use this code
    EMCJJHG22
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-11-23 at 08:53 PM.

Deleted
    So, should I get the 840 pro or stick with the 830?
    Stick with the 830. It has proven to be reliable and fast. The 840 Pro is faster but it's still way too early to tel whether it is reliable or not. Only time will tell... For now I think that the price premium for the 840 Pro is not worth it for most of the users. Maybe in several month when the prices of the 840 Pro settle down and it proves to be reliable it will be the better choice, but for now IMHO it's better to stick with the 830.

Quote Originally Posted by pnv View Post
    Stick with the 830. It has proven to be reliable and fast. The 840 Pro is faster but it's still way too early to tel whether it is reliable or not. Only time will tell... For now I think that the price premium for the 840 Pro is not worth it for most of the users. Maybe in several month when the prices of the 840 Pro settle down and it proves to be reliable it will be the better choice, but for now IMHO it's better to stick with the 830.
    Theoretically TLC can handle less writing.

MLC: 3000x writing possibly before it's dead
    TLC: 750x writing possibly before it's dead

10+ Year Old Account

MLC: 3000x writing possibly before it's dead
    TLC: 750x writing possibly before it's dead
    Well thanks again. I got both an Intel 335 and this Kingston Hyperx 3k.

I'll put the Intel in my laptop and the Kingston in my desktop .

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5155598

6 petabytes written, still didn't die, all of this while writing at almost 300MB/s average.

In normal use this translates to decades.

This is why 830's are so successful.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

Quote Originally Posted by Deng View Post
    6 petabytes written, still didn't die, all of this while writing at almost 300MB/s average.

In normal use this translates to decades.

This is why 830's are so successful.
    Since I've arrived here through Google I guess some people who are searching for this same topic will also, so I decided to reply to you, just to say that I've read through the topic you linked and the guy testing SSD 830 had to move from his apartment and as soon as the drive was powered down, when he finished setting up his PC on his new apartment the drive didn't turned on anymore, so it was incredible that the SSD endured through 259 days on test without major failures, it was really amazing, however we cannot precise when the drive "died" from powering on again when normal users power down the PC, I don't know about u guys but my PC don't run 24/7 and many people don't also, so on this matter we couldn't precise when the drive tested would flaw, it could be when it has written 200GiB or when it wrote 4PiB, we don't know, however, it was the most solid SSD tested...

Which doesn't mean Samsung SSD 840 Pro series aren't as good as 830, user canthearu was doing tests on this SSD also on this same topic you linked and got great results too...

The fact is, apart from the 840 series with TLC, both 830 and 840 Pro (MLC) are great SSD's to have.

This is off topic, but whatever, since I've been reading about SSDs, why do they always come in powers of 2?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobywongg View Post
    This is off topic, but whatever, since I've been reading about SSDs, why do they always come in powers of 2?
    Im not sure what you mean.

For the record.

830 Read: 520
    840 Read: 530
    840 Pro Read: 530

There is effectively 0 real world difference between them. Get whatever is cheapest (840 usually).

Writes speeds differ... But write speed doens't really matter at all. Read speed does.

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 12:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The Samsung 840 doesn't perform brilliantly here tbh. It loses at lot of performance after the torture-test and TRIM fails to bring it back to its original level.
    Article is over 6 months old. This issue has long been resolved.
    Theoretically. In real world application, such situation is non-existant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribes11 View Post
    The fact is, apart from the 840 series with TLC, both 830 and 840 Pro (MLC) are great SSD's to have.
    The 840 is still a great drive to have. There are no noticeable problems, besides ones that people make up to find problems.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Im using the 840 pro 256Gb, no problems found.
    And it is really fast, nothing more to say.

If I were to buy an SSD today I would have gone with either the newer Corsair's or still the Samsung 840 Pro.

There is really not much of a speed difference from SSD to SSD, nothing you will notice really.
    Case: Corsair 750D MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK1 CPU: i7 6700K (4.7GHz) CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 6GB SSD1: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro RAM: Corsair 32GB DOMINATOR Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz