Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

[Prot] Legendary Meta Choice

Greetings.
    I'm pretty close to finishing the quest, so I was hoping to get some advice.

Overall situation is as follows:
    My guild is currently 9/12 normal. Nowhere near cutting edge, but not absolutely low either.
    I am going for control/mastery in my gearing - or, well, trying. What I actually got is more like control/balance - a mess of everything.

I am kinda torn about the choice of meta.
    I have seen info that DPS meta gives about 10% extra DPS. While more dps is good to raise chance of kill, so far we haven't seen a single enrage. I'm not sure if it's really worth losing tanking benefits for that DPS. That's also the reason why I go for mastery instead of haste - haven't really seen big need in DPS raise so far. Maybe that gets more important once we reach heroic difficulty?

Tanking meta - well, paladins are already very good at handling physical damage, especially all those timed big hits. It sure lowers overall damage taken, but the problem is - it's unreliable, being a proc. 40% uptime is not something you should count on being there to save you.

So, could anyone give some advice? Maybe your impressions of the gems worth?
    Old Gods made me do it.

You should take advantage of the DPS meta and assuming you're doing 10 man, you should probably go Haste as well, as it gives a more smooth flow of damage than Mastery

Deleted
    I believe it's more than 40% uptime

On the side note - DPS gem.
    - while your raid dps is good, extra dmg to quicken boos mechanics and make your kills faster is a big plus.
    - you can survive without that gem easily, therefore it has low value to you.

C/M gearing is great for certain heroic fights, but is truly hindering your potential contribution to both raid damage and self/raid healing if you are at all a competent player. Given your discussion of timing ShotR intelligently, I feel it is safe to assume this is the case.

I'd strongly suggest the DPS meta, as a 10-12% DPS increase is...well, freakin' huge. Additionally, even with the Tank meta at a ~40% uptime, unless you're already struggling to stay alive to physical only damage, it is largely a waste. Considering the opportunity cost of the tank meta is basically having 1/2 wings up 100% of the time, it's a bit of a no-brainer.

If you can, I'd urge you to start shifting some stats into haste (specifically from avoidance at first, then from mastery until you feel comfortable) and play around with that aspect of the class/spec. It really is a wonderful tanking experience and very beneficial to your raid group.

Oh, and before you ask about the cloaks, the "DPS" one far, far, FAR outweighs the "tank" one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

I wouldn't say just take dps or just take tank one.

Look at your raid, logs.
    Are you dying because it's a wipe ? Are you dying because you're tanking too much dmg ? Are your healers running oom trying to keep you up ?

It's all just a realization of which will help more for your group. If you feel like you're taking too much dmg, take tank. If you're dmg intake is fine, take dps.

I'm going to have to agree with general consensus that you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the haste benefit. But if you are debating on which meta to choose you'd be wasting the dps meta's potential if you wasn't gearing haste heavy. And would probably not gain anywhere close to 10% dps increase. So if for whatever reason you don't plan to switch to haste you should def stick with the tank meta.

My question for you is why are worried about the dps meta if you already aren't gearing with dps benefits in mind?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bought both gems. Tried the tank gem last week. Going to try the DPS gem this week.

DPS one, your about to do heroics

Deleted
    I would go haste and take the DPS one. You may not notice the need in normals, then again, you wont notice you're actually fighting bosses in normals, they're just taller trash mobs. When you start heroics, and take the bigger hits, stacking that vengeance, you'll see the benefit of haste. The meta gem proc also seems to scale with AP (I have not read much about the gems to be honest, but when I have high vengeance, that thing hits like a truck - I do more damage from the DPS meta than the DPS do). Also, with the battle healer glyph, you're going to find yourself doing a LOT of passive healing.

Deleted
    Grab dps one first. If another hat drops grab the tank one too. Switch out hats as needed. What I will do.

Deeps meta too stronk

I picked up a second (identical) helmet last night, so I'll stick the tank meta in that one. Then I can swap helmet (and thus meta gem) depending on which boss we're doing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I picked up a second (identical) helmet last night, so I'll stick the tank meta in that one. Then I can swap helmet (and thus meta gem) depending on which boss we're doing.
    Isaidthat!

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Isaidthat!
    You said that you will be doing that, I AM doing it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You said that you will be doing that, I AM doing it
    true. planning on trying to 1 tank 25man hc tortos with that meta.

Even with the absorb shield, won't the bite + bat leech kill you?

Deleted
    dunno until I try

Deleted
    I heard the DPS meta got nerfed, still the best choice for prot?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazur View Post
    I heard the DPS meta got nerfed, still the best choice for prot?
    Nerf was reversed after about 2 hours.

Last two nights the dps meta was less of my damage done than what i had been used to, I have been checking over and over here to see if it was just me or other people had noticed the same?
    Last edited by Nuttypoolog; 2013-05-20 at 03:49 PM.