Thread: About rng

Red face About rng

Rng is not an random number generator.
    Have you noticed that, when you want something it never drops, when you do tk for tokens and not al'är, he drops al'ar.
    Rng is just an excuse, why? Beacuse they want to torture you for weeks, make you cry yourself to sleep
    Mod dont lock this please.(writing on mobile) just a silly thread where you can talk about your most unexpected drops

10+ Year Old Account
    Ran Setthek Halls for weeks on my hunter, no mount. First time ever running it on my DK it dropped. Also ran Sunwell for Thori'dal for a month with no luck, thought "Screw it" and ran it again for the golden bow of Quel'thalas, both that bow and Thori'dal dropped. That same exact week the offhand Warglaive dropped. I tell you, all of your shit drops when you LEAST expect it to
    Click on me for my anime list!
    Quote Originally Posted by H.P. Lovecraft
    What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything!

It used to be widely believed by many that upon creation of an instance, all of the loot on the spawns inside was determined. One of the loot mods early on in vanilla WoW supposedly had some strange interaction with the code which allowed players to accurately predict whether certain items (i believe TF bindings) would drop, since the loot addon would not be able to retrieve the information on that item if it wasn't going to drop.

It is likely that they simulate randomness by using the clock time when the first person zones into an instance, however it likely uses the last few numbers in a fractional number of seconds on the clock, meaning that you cannot possibly manipulate drop tables.

Lately I have seen an instance where every player that rolled on loot on a certain boss kill was granted Thunderforged gear, which seems like it would be very unlikely. Perhaps whether you get thunderforged or not is not completely random, but instead there are circumstances where all people using extra rolls will be given thunderforged if they win an item.
    Last edited by Venant; 2013-05-20 at 07:22 PM.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    It used to be widely believed by many that upon creation of an instance, all of the loot on the spawns inside was determined. One of the loot mods early on in vanilla WoW supposedly had some strange interaction with the code which allowed players to accurately predict whether certain items (i believe TF bindings) would drop, since the loot addon would not be jable to retrieve the information on that item if it wasn't going to drop.

It is likely that they simulate randomness by using the clock time when the first person zones into an instance, however it likely uses the last few numbers in a fractional number of seconds on the clock, meaning that you cannot possibly manipulate drop tables.
    I would be rich if that was possible, imagine selling al'ar or something by manipulation the loot tables.

I do feel rng depends on character. Call me crazy but hear me out. I ran toe and killed tsulong 30+ times before I got my sha touched staff. On my mage I got the sha touched sword from him first kill.I also never get gear. Maybe its because I monk tank. My monk finishes the legendary quest branches in about two weeks, while my mage hasn't finished the first part with the tokens. I noticed thr characters luck didn't change while leveling. My monk never won dungeon gear. But my mage got like three drops every lfg. So I do think the systems broken.

The loot thing you are talking about was addons like atlasloot could not show an item which had not yet been seen on your specific server. This included items which had not been seen since the last restart (which must have been clearing the cache on blizzard side). Basically when you tried to link/see unverified items it would disconnect you. The theory was if you zoned into an instance and said item was linkable (mainly warglaives when it was really used) high chance it would drop if you were one of the first to re login after a reset. I believe loot is now generated at the moment the boss/mob dies/is looted rather than when spawned. This seems to fit with the new mobs where quest items are only on the mobs up until the number needed and the rest will dissapear and the dead mob becomes skinnable etc.

As for drops, everything you said is what RNG brings about. Coincidence is when it drops in some other order. Considering you might have 5 drops from a boss possible, roughly 15% drop for an item before last patchs buff, + 15% for a coing, so 30% per kill, or 1 item per 3 kills. so you should have seen roughly 10 items drop if you used a coin every time over those kills(which would be unlikely unless you farmed him only since last patch, in which case still only one item after the first kill). Which would mean you had bad luck in getting 10 wrong items out of 5 possible, but really not that bad overall.
    Also I feel your pain on the tokens, my lock is at 7 Power, 22 Wisdom now. Last 2 weeks doing all of vaults in LFR hasnt yielded one single power, but I did get 2 more wisdoms from vaults. My DK has 9 power and 6 wisdom while doing alot less LFR's (especially less vaults as I need tier pieces so regularly double run last half of HoF and ToES).

I got the mount from rock boss in stonecore first kill, never seen Al'lar or ony mounts yet even though I have killed both 50-100 times each solo.

Deleted
    i have some wierd ass RNG stories..... it just seem like i always get the drop i want if i'm really dedicated to get it, like i tell myself im prepared to farm for the baron mount til i get it (often resulting in several days without sleep) ofc i get it on my 3rd try (happy me ) i decide i will farm for the raven lord everyday til i get it, i get it on my first attempt, i wanted a transmog set from some tbc instances which was hard to get, i get it on the 3rd day, i farm something super rare drop, i get it fast etc, its kinda annoying when i had lots of free time and got what i wanted so fast..ah well first world problems i guess xD

Quote Originally Posted by ikas6 View Post
    i have some wierd ass RNG stories..... it just seem like i always get the drop i want if i'm really dedicated to get it, like i tell myself im prepared to farm for the baron mount til i get it (often resulting in several days without sleep) ofc i get it on my 3rd try (happy me ) i decide i will farm for the raven lord everyday til i get it, i get it on my first attempt, i wanted a transmog set from some tbc instances which was hard to get, i get it on the 3rd day, i farm something super rare drop, i get it fast etc, its kinda annoying when i had lots of free time and got what i wanted so fast..ah well first world problems i guess xD
    You are the single most hated person in this thread. I wish the RNG gods smiled on me as often as you.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Boy, I don't know how many people have stepped foot into TK going for tokens, only to have Ashes drop. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ikas6 View Post
    I ran for the Rivendare mount 24/7 for months, and then running every so often for THREE GOD DAMN YEARS before I finally got it. You're one lucky S.O.B.
    Click on me for my anime list!
    Quote Originally Posted by H.P. Lovecraft
    What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Never ever did stratholm (or scholo?) for the rivendare's mount. First time random dungeon with my warrior, it drops and I win.
    Originally Posted by cutterx2202
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    True randomness includes both ends of the spectrum, including extremely unlikely "bad luck" and extremely unlikely "luck".
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Boy, I don't know how many people have stepped foot into TK going for tokens, only to have Ashes drop. lol.
    Me?
    Abc123