What causes a thread to be closed?

One of my recent threads about a rumor I heard of WoW for the next Xbox was recently closed. No one was getting angry at eachother, there were no arguments or trolling, just fun talking and speculating about a rumor that may or may not be true. What was it that caused this to be closed?

10+ Year Old Account
    usually when a thread is locked a mod leaves a post in there saying why :\
    dragonmaw - EU

Today, 12:28 AM #51
    Darsithis
    Super Moderator Join DateJan 2011LocationDrowning in Chicago Posts20,548
    Unsubstantiated threads like this full of conjecture from a "reliable source" without a shred of proof are never constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokedigimon View Post
    One of my recent threads about a rumor I heard of WoW for the next Xbox was recently closed. No one was getting angry at eachother, there were no arguments or trolling, just fun talking and speculating about a rumor that may or may not be true. What was it that caused this to be closed?
    your thread was just closed because it was stupid and pointless.

all it was was you saying a friend of a friend say's this. you would not tell who this person was or even what company he was working for.

rumor's are not a thread topic even more so when its a 99.9% chance its a made up rumor by the OP.

You didn't provide anything more then my source said this my source said that....
    It was a pointless thread.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthresa View Post
    Today, 12:28 AM #51
    Darsithis
    Super Moderator Join DateJan 2011LocationDrowning in Chicago Posts20,548
    Unsubstantiated threads like this full of conjecture from a "reliable source" without a shred of proof are never constructive.

and theres your answer

i think posting things without a source and just saying "my friend who works at blizzard" or stuff like that is against the rules.
    dragonmaw - EU

Rumor threads generally get closed, since they are almost always false.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Redundancy or troll baiting seem to be main reasons they get closed, but it looks like yours was closed because unsubstantiated rumors are considered unconstructive posting, if your 'friend' can cite his sources feel free to try again.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

I understand that if someone is obviously trolling and claiming it's a fact, but why is it removed even if it is stated that there's no guarenty they're true? Is it really that different than a speculation thread? If someone posted the exact same thread as me, but said it was an idea he had, it would have been just fine, right?

Because the moderators on this site do not seem the remember what made this site addicting and enjoyable to begin with, they ban anyone who says anything even if it isn't even destructive to the community, I assume I will even get banned just for this post sadly....

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand that if someone is obviously trolling and claiming it's a fact, but why is it removed even if it is stated that there's no guarenty they're true? Is it really that different than a speculation thread? If someone posted the exact same thread as me, but said it was an idea he had, it would have been just fine, right?

likely to be honest, i think speculation threads are allowed.

maybe PM a mod and ask to edit it to say speculation and see if it can be reopened? :P
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are to start a speculation thread, you need some evidence or source for the speculation. Simply stating you heard a rumor about it is not enough. A link to it, with some noticeable source is always needed in any speculating.
    Currently Procrastinating

10+ Year Old Account

There is a difference between a speculation thread, and a useless baseless hearsay thread...which your's was. Your mistake was not providing any form of proof to back up your speculation. If someone posts "WoW would be interesting on a console, what do you guys think? Is that even viable?" That is totally different than from what you posted, you can't compare the two.

If what you are saying has any merit and your "source" doesn't want to be named, you should have kept it to yourself. Plain and simple.

what l read of the post it sounds like some one seen a image and added it up made a rumor to pass a round to sound like they have sources

10+ Year Old Account
    You're welcome to bring up your concerns about moderation with the admins of the site. You can contact them through the Contact Us page or you can PM Sunshine directly.