Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did we know how Tyr lost his hand? (spoilers)

I was just reading the latest part of Dawn of the Aspects, and of course found out how Tyr lost his hand due to Galakrond biting it off.

But I'm wondering if we knew what happened to his hand before the book came out.

Obviously we didn't know about everything that the books telling us, but was there anything pre book that hinted at how he lost his hand or who to?

My brains coming up blank!

EDIT: Should clarify I'm talking about Tyr in Warcraft Lore, not Tyr of Norse mythology
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2013-05-21 at 01:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    isn't that a town in EPL?
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    isn't that a town in EPL?
    Yes Tyr's Hand in EPL is named after the Titanic Watcher named Tyr

Vrykul passed down a story to their human offspring about a great warrior (Tyr) who lost his Hand in a Battle against a "Unfathomable evil".

After that he replaced his Hand with a Fist made of Silver, which also is the namesake of the Silver Hand.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Tyr#Myth

Deleted
    Don't know if it's hinted anywhere that his hand got 'bit' off, but Tyr in Norse Mythology had his hand bitten off by Fenrir

Deleted
    Yeah, Fenrir tore it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spunkii View Post
    Don't know if it's hinted anywhere that his hand got 'bit' off, but Tyr in Norse Mythology had his hand bitten off by Fenrir
    It's been made official that Galakrond bit it off (in the latest part of Dawn of the Aspects), but I just wondered if before that there had been anything mentioned about someone or something else being the cause or if it was completely unknown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    I wonder what Galakrond is in terms of status. God? Deity?

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Vrykul passed down a story to their human offspring about a great warrior (Tyr) who lost his Hand in a Battle against a "Unfathomable evil".

After that he replaced his Hand with a Fist made of Silver, which also is the namesake of the Silver Hand.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Tyr#Myth
    Ok so it's theres never been a specific being or entity that's been speculated to have been the one to take his hand.

I could have sworn I read something a long while ago that made mention of a specific person being responsible, but that may have just been in a speculation thread Thanks^

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 02:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    I just finished it, and it was a great read. Nice to know the origin of the Aspects, and knowing that Galakrond was ridiculous in power.
    Indeed, the parts aren't coming out fast enough haha, I've really enjoyed Dawn of the Aspects so far, and agree it's good to get a bit of knowledge as to how the Aspects came to be!

10+ Year Old Account
    According to ancient tales passed by from generations, He master baited too much to images of naked dwarf females, His hand has turned to stone and fell off. Dont master bait, children.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-05-21 at 01:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that the Lore regarding Tyr is almost utterly absent outside the book, I'd say... no.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    According to ancient tales passed by from generations, He master baited too much to images of naked dwarf females, His hand has turned to stone and fell off. Dont master bait, children.

Isn't it supposed to be the *other* appendage that falls off if used too much? /wink

I've also heard it can make you go blind too! lol.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 02:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Considering that the Lore regarding Tyr is almost utterly absent outside the book, I'd say... no.
    Yeah I'm thinking I was maybe thinking of a speculation thread.

I don't generally call people on their spelling or grammar, but you clearly need to learn how to spell masturbate.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

he's probably a minor deity, like the giant shelled things in vashj'ir. to damage a thing such as a titan, he has to be something special.

OT: all i ever heard about it before was that he replaced it with silver, i don't remember reading about him losing it.

Literally the biggest freaking dragon ever.

---------- Post added 2013-05-21 at 01:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    he's probably a minor deity, like the giant shelled things in vashj'ir. to damage a thing such as a titan, he has to be something special.

OT: all i ever heard about it before was that he replaced it with silver, i don't remember reading about him losing it.
    Watcher, not a titan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Literally the biggest freaking dragon ever.
    And totally grotesque sounding >.> seriously freaky, but it has me intrigued as to how and why he's turning into what he is!

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    And totally grotesque sounding >.> seriously freaky, but it has me intrigued as to how and why he's turning into what he is!
    He was a Titan Experiment gone wrong basically.

The entire reason the would be Aspects are against him is because he threatens the world as a whole.

He's like..a gigantic, mindless, constantly mutating monstrosity that has to be stopped.

And since the Titans are gone, it's up to the ones they left behind to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Dont master bait, children.
    Definitely this. You will go to jail for sure if you masturbate children. And they don't look too kindly on child molesters in prison.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-05-21 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    He was a Titan Experiment gone wrong basically.

The entire reason the would be Aspects are against him is because he threatens the world as a whole.

He's like..a gigantic, mindless, constantly mutating monstrosity that has to be stopped.

And since the Titans are gone, it's up to the ones they left behind to stop him.
    That's basically the gist of what I got from the book, I just wonder if we'll get a more in depth explanation in the last few parts of the book Poor Tyr being left behind to deal with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's stop with the very childish masturbation jokes