Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Then it won't happen. As GC said, it's too much to balance at once.

MoP had 4 specs to work out. This would have 10 (or more depending on when) to create and balance.
    You're probably right, because Blizzard couldn't use 4th specs as a selling point. Blizzard would have to give the 4th specs for free, because there's no way they could lock specs out for certain people who didn't buy the expansion.

It's either going to be new races or classes.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-05-23 at 11:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    You're probably right, because Blizzard couldn't use 4th specs as a selling point. Blizzard would have to give the 4th specs for free, because there's no way they could lock specs out for certain people who didn't buy the expansion.

Honestly, 4th specs tied to an Expansion as a selling point is actually something they could do, and save them selves the headache of new classes and racial. Of course with the 9 year low on Subscriptions it might be time for them to stop pulling punches and make a Bigger Expansion. With a New Neutral Race, A Hero Class, and 4th Specs with a new world to explore with Revamps on Outland and Northrend. And ten levels instead of 5.

But then again they might do 5 levels and half that work.

Even if it weren't a requirement for the expansion, it's enough to bring back subscribers, even if only for a month or two. That in itself is almost the price of an expansion.

Deleted

plus 4th specs as a selling slogan would not bring new players into the game. A new class is always completely new while a new spec is always tied to the base class. So yh, only a new class can catch the attention of newcomers
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2013-05-24 at 01:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Honestly, 4th specs tied to an Expansion as a selling point is actually something they could do, and save them selves the headache of new classes and racial. Of course with the 9 year low on Subscriptions it might be time for them to stop pulling punches and make a Bigger Expansion. With a New Neutral Race, A Hero Class, and 4th Specs with a new world to explore with Revamps on Outland and Northrend. And ten levels instead of 5.

Again Blizzard couldn't make that a selling point because they couldn't lock players out of a 4th spec. 4th specs would have to be given for free to all players.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Certainly they could do it. But I think it's safe to say it will never be a major feature. It'll be a few classes here, a few there.

If anything, we'll see them create 4th specs based on what classes can actually use/want a new role. Like tank Warlocks and tank Shamans long before another DPS spec for Rogue.
    GC already said that, basically, warlocks are not tanks, will not be able to queue as tanks, and so aren't getting any spec that is a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Do you actually think the expansion won't be released for another 18 months? :S Wow...

Personally, I don't think we need 4th specs. They just need to alter current specs to make them more noticeably different to each other beyond a couple of spells.
    At least GC mentioned we might get some spec differentiation with rogues and hunters, especially with Sub and Sv (might get merged with the other specs or something)
    And more visually appealing spells for rogues an warriors

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Again Blizzard couldn't make that a selling point because they couldn't lock players out of a 4th spec. 4th specs would have to be given for free to all players.
    The only class they couldn't lock out would be Druids. the Idea of Questing for a Hero Spec has gone around for years, Blizzard Originally was going to Make Death Knights a Hero Spec were you did a Quest line and became a Death Knight at the End of it. So yes they could make a Hero Spec system for several Classes as a Selling Point. They could do the Original Idea they had with Death Knights, or the Path of Titans idea revamped.

Do you actually think the expansion won't be released for another 18 months? :S Wow...

Personally, I don't think we need 4th specs. They just need to alter current specs to make them more noticeably different to each other beyond a couple of spells.
    Think, this expansion is only 6 months old.

WOW Released November 23, 2004 (10th anniversary of the Warcraft franchise)
    The Burning Crusade - January 16, 2007 ( 26 Months after WOW)
    Wrath of the Lich King - November 13, 2008 (23 months after BC)
    Cataclysm - December 7, 2010 ( 24 Months after WotLK)
    Mists of Pandaria - September 25, 2012 ( 21 Months after Cataclysm)
    *Unknown* - November 23, 2014 ( 26 Months after MOP, 20th anniversary of Warcraft, 10 years of WOW) - my guess

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I see there is that there is no pattern at all. And let's face it, MoP is like no other expansion before it in terms of content speed. I can almost assure you that this expansion won't last another 18 months. Blizzard now know better than ever that people don't want expansions to last so long and considering the patching in MoP, we'd end up on 5.9 at the very least before the next expansion. Which would be strange considering Garrosh is the expansion villain and we'll be taking care of him in 5.4.

Every expansion takes 2 years, that is the pattern. It takes time to make everything in an expansion, and it takes time to test everything as well. Blizzard is one of the fastest in the industry at 2 years. MOP came out 2 months early, that was the only one not released in the usual in time for Christmas. ie in the 14 day window of the End of November, start of December. TBC was scheduled to be released at the end of November but was pushed bake to January at the last moment. (to the Frustration of many)

10+ Year Old Account
    Think, this expansion is only 6 months old.
    This expac is not 6 months old, its 9 and what you are saying implies that the expansion would last a little over 2 years, which is nonesense November 2014 really? March or April 2014 would make a lot of sense but more than 2 years? I hope that was a typo lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    This expac is not 6 months old, its 9 and what you are saying implies that the expansion would last a little over 2 years, which is nonesense November 2014 really? March or April 2014 would make a lot of sense but more than 2 years? I hope that was a typo lol.
    Take a look at all the other expansion release dates. And be aware the 10 year WOW anniversary and the 20 year Warcraft Anniversary. That with it takes over a year of Alpha and Beta Testing, and there are no rumors about an Alpha yet. And I'm on the friends and family list. as of yet I haven't gotten my invite, or heard any rumors as to what they are working on.

Odds are after Blizzcon they will start the F&F invites after New Year they will have regular Beta. which means they will be ready in time for x-mas 2014. Now if they announce the X-Pac at the world championships this summer than it will be 2-3 months earlier, but I sort of doubt that since the anniversary is a bit of a big deal for them.

Do you realize if they are planning on doing a 4th spec system it would be a part of an Expansion release. The next Expansion will be announced at Blizzcon most likely, and it will start in Alpha/Closed beta afterwards, it wouldn't be released until December 2014. That would not count as soon. By him not saying no means it is actually possible.
    You are wrong on your timing. December 2014 would mean the end of WoW at the rate they are hemorrhaging subscriptions (regardless if most of them are in Asia or not, eventually they will start seeing more of a loss here - probably as soon as this quarter). They have stated all along that they want to get to an 18 month release schedule and now with their current rates of patches, they can do that. The next expansion is more than likely already in early Alpha. I am willing to bet it will drop April-May of 2014. An announcement at Blizzcon would not really leave enough time since Blizzcon is in November this year. Besides, Blizzcon this year will be about Titan.

No, I expect the announcement to be at Pax Prime labor day weekend (more and more video game companies are announcing new stuff at Pax) , with early beta starting in late September and then the beta flood gates opening after Blizzcon (and the next yearly pass).

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 06:05 AM ----------

Take a look at all the other expansion release dates. And be aware the 10 year WOW anniversary and the 20 year Warcraft Anniversary. That with it takes over a year of Alpha and Beta Testing, and there are no rumors about an Alpha yet. And I'm on the friends and family list. as of yet I haven't gotten my invite, or heard any rumors as to what they are working on.

Odds are after Blizzcon they will start the F&F invites after New Year they will have regular Beta. which means they will be ready in time for x-mas 2014. Now if they announce the X-Pac at the world championships this summer than it will be 2-3 months earlier, but I sort of doubt that since the anniversary is a bit of a big deal for them.
    I get the 10th/20th anniversary is a big deal, however the reality is they can not afford to wait that long. This game is already ridiculously old to still have 8m+ paying customers. As much as I love it, it IS very long in the tooth for a video game (yes, I know video game history, probably better than most - so don't point out older games or even MMOs like Everquest or Ultima Online. They do not have 8m+ paying customers like WoW and that his a hell of a milestone, especially for a game going to have its 9th anniversary in 7 months) and they are losing players faster than they are adding new ones.

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 06:19 AM ----------

On another post, you claim to be a part of the friends and family program, and yet you not nothing of the history of WoW. WoW hit 8m subsribers in January of 2007, with hitting 9m in July of that same year. Technically this would the the lowest number of subscribers in 6 years. Considiering the game has only been live for 8 and a half years, it would be impossible for it to be a 9 year low. You are also pushing Dec 2014 as the release date and that is also you not knowing anything about WoW. They have REPEATEDLY stated they want to get to an 18 month release schedule and now they finally have proven they can with the speed of the patches. They all know it would kill off WoW to wait until the 10th Anniversary to release the next expansion. I could see them releasing a free mini-expansion (or super patch if you will) for the 10th Anniversary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    You are wrong on your timing. December 2014 would mean the end of WoW at the rate they are hemorrhaging subscriptions (regardless if most of them are in Asia or not, eventually they will start seeing more of a loss here - probably as soon as this quarter). They have stated all along that they want to get to an 18 month release schedule and now with their current rates of patches, they can do that. The next expansion is more than likely already in early Alpha. I am willing to bet it will drop April-May of 2014. An announcement at Blizzcon would not really leave enough time since Blizzcon is in November this year. Besides, Blizzcon this year will be about Titan.

No, I expect the announcement to be at Pax Prime labor day weekend (more and more video game companies are announcing new stuff at Pax) , with early beta starting in late September and then the beta flood gates opening after Blizzcon (and the next yearly pass).

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 06:05 AM ----------

I get the 10th/20th anniversary is a big deal, however the reality is they can not afford to wait that long. This game is already ridiculously old to still have 8m+ paying customers. As much as I love it, it IS very long in the tooth for a video game (yes, I know video game history, probably better than most - so don't point out older games or even MMOs like Everquest or Ultima Online. They do not have 8m+ paying customers like WoW and that his a hell of a milestone, especially for a game going to have its 9th anniversary in 7 months) and they are losing players faster than they are adding new ones.

---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 06:19 AM ----------

On another post, you claim to be a part of the friends and family program, and yet you not nothing of the history of WoW. WoW hit 8m subsribers in January of 2007, with hitting 9m in July of that same year. Technically this would the the lowest number of subscribers in 6 years. Considiering the game has only been live for 8 and a half years, it would be impossible for it to be a 9 year low. You are also pushing Dec 2014 as the release date and that is also you not knowing anything about WoW. They have REPEATEDLY stated they want to get to an 18 month release schedule and now they finally have proven they can with the speed of the patches. They all know it would kill off WoW to wait until the 10th Anniversary to release the next expansion. I could see them releasing a free mini-expansion (or super patch if you will) for the 10th Anniversary.
    Some of us have been playing WOW for longer than 8 years. Also during the Development time on WOW they had a fairly high Fan base. Blizzard has used PAX for major announcements so if they do announce an expansion it will come out early. However they are not yet in an Alpha cycle, that always starts the week after the first public announcement. The reason is simple even with NDAs Alpha players are not paid by Blizzard and it is entirely possible for one of them to send out information which is not yet ready for the general public. The lack of any Rumors is proof it is not yet in Alpha, they will have a Developers Build but that is all in house. Which is not a part of the Testing cycle. Now it is true the game is stale and this expansion is not helping but it will maintain decent enough subscriptions for the entirety of a Development cycle. And yes they are putting out a lot of updated builds in a short time. But remember the testing Cycle is usually 12-13 months.
    and with 8 million paid Subscriptions they are still doing fine and are highly profitable.