Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Mount Attempts per drop rate

So the latest mount I've been farming is the Reins of the Vitreous Stone Drake from Stonecore and I'm starting to get discouraged by the attempts I've put into farming this mount. Supposedly it has something of a 0.7-0.9% drop rate from Slabhide. However I've put in 242 attempts so far and it just has not dropped yet. Supposedly I should have between an 81%-88% of getting it by now based on the said drop rate % but I just don't know what to make of it. I know RNG is RNG but this is starting to get annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of times you do the fight doesn't increase the % of getting it. It just means that everytime you kill the boss you have roughly 1% chance it'll drop. This does not add up

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by colmadero View Post
    The amount of times you do the fight doesn't increase the % of getting it. It just means that everytime you kill the boss you have roughly 1% chance it'll drop. This does not add up
    What I'm quoting is the probability of achieving a certain % after x number of attempts.

1 - (1 - probability chance)^attempts.

So in my OP, I stated I had done 242 attempts on a boss with 0.9% chance

1 - (1 - 0.009)^242
    1 - 0.991^242
    0.887843516 or 88.8% chance of achieving a 1% drop.

Keep trying dont give up, be glad its pretty much unlimited attempts versus once per week sadly.

Hey, I ran TK every week since BC and finally just got the mount 2 weeks ago. Keep at it, all in good time.

0.9% is high

The World Boss mounts have like 0.01% (1/10000) droprate (Sha/Galleon) - Oondasta seem like 0.1% (1/1000).

Worst of them all is Love Rocket, that one have something like 1/20000.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Dont give up! I got the mount from Altarius after about 5 tries but slabhide is still being tight after what must of been 300 attempts....and eeevery time I click to loot I think to myself "this time this time".....
    Whoops, sig too big

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalfeinn View Post
    Dont give up! I got the mount from Altarius after about 5 tries but slabhide is still being tight after what must of been 300 attempts....and eeevery time I click to loot I think to myself "this time this time".....
    One thing that I have learned is to never wish for it All of my mounts are when I am after something else in the same area.

RNG is RNG, I have been running Kara every week to get the rifle from Opera for transmog. There are 4 different bosses, and I have yet to see the Wolf, probability would indicate I have 100% chance to see it at this point.... I believe its been around 100+ runs. Theoretically I should have seen each boss 33 times or so, however I tend to get Romulo and Julliane 90% of the time, I have seen Wizard of Oz maybe 10 times since I started.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2013-05-27 at 05:02 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    RNG is RNG, I have been running Kara every week to get the rifle from Opera for transmog. There are 4 different bosses, and I have yet to see the Wolf, probability would indicate I have 100% chance to see it at this point.... I believe its been around 100+ runs. Theoretically I should have seen each boss 33 times or so, however I tend to get Romulo and Julliane 90% of the time, I have seen Wizard of Oz maybe 10 times since I started.
    Probability indicate that in all these 100 attempts you have like a 99.xx% chance to see the wolf at least one time.

Statistics doesn't appear to be your strong point.

Well for every person who gets lucky and gets it way before the average there's one who gets unlucky and gets it way after the average.

I wish they'd implement something like the new RNG protection for all rolls, especially rare mounts and so forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well for every person who gets lucky and gets it way before the average there's one who gets unlucky and gets it way after the average.

I wish they'd implement something like the new RNG protection for all rolls, especially rare mounts and so forth.
    If they did that. I would deffo stop playing for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Well if you quit over something like that all I can say is good riddance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well if you quit over something like that all I can say is good riddance.
    Well, I dont see the point in playing something where you get everything served to you. But if you like that, it is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    So the latest mount I've been farming is the Reins of the Vitreous Stone Drake from Stonecore and I'm starting to get discouraged by the attempts I've put into farming this mount. Supposedly it has something of a 0.7-0.9% drop rate from Slabhide. However I've put in 242 attempts so far and it just has not dropped yet. Supposedly I should have between an 81%-88% of getting it by now based on the said drop rate % but I just don't know what to make of it. I know RNG is RNG but this is starting to get annoying.
    lol i feel for you... i was lucky enough to have the server 1st mount of this back in Cata on my Hunter... Ive been trying to get it on my 2nd account and im at ~500 kills and dont have it yet... I think my mount luck has ran dry for MoP.

One thing that I have learned is to never wish for it All of my mounts are when I am after something else in the same area.
    Pretty much this, anytime I got a mount off a boss it's been when I wasn't actually trying for it, or was busy talking to someone in whisper and thus not focusing on the fight at all.

Out of all the mounts I have gotten off bosses so far, the hardest was Baron taking me almost 157 runs to get it to drop and then it dropped when I wasn't trying for it, but instead duel boxing a character of mine through the dungeon for levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Deleted
    Trust me, the moment you get it it's like "OMFG YES!" the next day it's "meh, bored of it already".

So enjoy the chase

---------- Post added 2013-05-27 at 09:51 PM ----------

Agreed. It's bad enough TCG mounts got roflstomped by the duping exploit, the only thing left of any substance is rare drop mounts, and even that is slipping away. If they made it so you would gradually get the mount then it ruins the entire experience and the thrill of the chase.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/01/13/dr...e-probability/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    I don't want to make you hate me but took me 6 tries for Slabhide mount last month, having an hard time with Vortex pinacle though.