Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Complaining about Stephen King making himself God's mouthpiece. Can you believe this guy? It's like fan fiction. How much narcissism does a person need to make oneself THE CREATOR in his own series?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Complaining about Stephen King making himself God's mouthpiece. Can you believe this guy? It's like fan fiction. How much narcissism does a person need to make oneself THE CREATOR in his own series?
    Reading his books, it's p. clear he has tons of repressed issues to begin with.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Finally got around to buying myself a copy of A Memory of Light by R.Jordan(RIP) and B.Sanderson.

So far so good.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Currently reading A Storm of Swords. It's amazing how books that are around 1,000 pages seem to go by quicker than some books I've read that aren't even half that length. Not having any idea of what's going to happen next in books is a rare thing for me (even if it is frustrating sometimes) and part of the reason why I enjoy them so much.

---------- Post added 2013-05-25 at 07:59 PM ----------

I'm 80% of the way through book 7 in the Dark Tower series, and all I can say is this entire thing is a fucking joke. Stephen King making himself a very important character, deus ex machinas explained away with "ka" and "God wills it". Fuck off King, you fucking god damn hack.
    I didn't like that either, TBH. Based on your previous posts I know you don't like much of anything about the series but if you don't know already, he kind of tied in getting hit by a car IRL to his story, and at that, he pumped out 5-7 in the series in a very short amount of time because 'he had to finish the Dark Tower'. He's a...different...writer to begin with, you either like it or you don't, but the last three books are definitely not his best work and are what is stopping me from reading the series over again, I rather enjoyed the first four books. I absolutely hated Wolves of the Calla because half the book was about Father Callahan and what he ate for breakfast every day whilst looking out for vampires. And it went downhill from there in the next two books. As a forewarning in addition to King's own warning, be prepared to be pissed off at the ending.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2013-05-25 at 08:02 PM.

Deleted
    Onto The Path of Daggers now, only read three chapters in the past week, making it the first Wheel of Time book that I've had trouble starting. I didn't think A Crown of Swords was as terrible as it was made out to be, but I can definitely feel the pace getting slower.

And to make matters worse I've heard Mat's not even in this book.

Cryptonomicon. It took me a while to really start to enjoy the book, but once I understood the author's sense of humor it's been very fun to read. Some of his overly descriptive recounts of an otherwise mundane task/idea/whatever really caught me off guard and were pretty hilarious(Eating Cap'n Crunch, Epiphyte Corp.'s business plan, etc).

I'd recommend it, and I'm definitely going to check out some of Neal Stephenson's other books.

Volume 12 of the Death Note manga and False Memory by Dean Koontz.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Market Forces by Richard K Morgan.

Deleted
    Just started on 'Never Again' by Peter Hennessy, about post world war II Britain till 1951.

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey is one of the most amazing sci-fi books I have read in a long time and I am primarily a fantasy fan. Check it out, great character development, action, plot...all very cool.

Deleted
    A Clash of Kings, (GRR Martin).

The name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss

10+ Year Old Account
    Went through Proven Guilty and White Night yesterday and today, about to finish Small Favor before I go to sleep. I think I've spent about 8 hours today reading (day being a somewhat figurative term seeing as I wake after sunset and go to sleep around noon) in addition to the 5 hours yesterday. It should be another 2 before I finish this book then I still have another 5 of the series to go through. Of course then I'm going to have to reread them starting probably on Friday or Saturday, I usually miss about 10% of the text when going through it the first time out of excitement to see what happens in the story so I generally read through a series a minimum of three times in the first month of getting it (I've already read through the first seven of the series five times). Series is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Back to reading now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last days of Pompeji

The old fashioned writing (the book is from 1835) is a pain in some parts and hilarious in others.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Went through Proven Guilty and White Night yesterday and today, about to finish Small Favor before I go to sleep. I think I've spent about 8 hours today reading (day being a somewhat figurative term seeing as I wake after sunset and go to sleep around noon) in addition to the 5 hours yesterday. It should be another 2 before I finish this book then I still have another 5 of the series to go through. Of course then I'm going to have to reread them starting probably on Friday or Saturday, I usually miss about 10% of the text when going through it the first time out of excitement to see what happens in the story so I generally read through a series a minimum of three times in the first month of getting it (I've already read through the first seven of the series five times). Series is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Back to reading now!
    I wish I read that fast. I spend hours per day reading but I'm a slow reader. I know, stop sounding out the words in my head, but I like reading like that. *sigh*
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Betrayer by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Few chapters in and so far it's been great, but then again, pretty much everything A D-B writes is great.

I don't remember if I've posted in this thread or not, but I've been reading through the Wheel of Time series the last few months; it's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Betrayer by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Few chapters in and so far it's been great, but then again, pretty much everything A D-B writes is great.

is he writing outside of warhammer now? cause hes one of the best author BL has for sure along graham mcneil

15+ Year Old Account
    Just finished the latest Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
    Those earned a new place on my shelf besides the Malazan, Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time series. I can only recommend them to everyone who likes fantasy, even if you don't like urban fantasy.

But now I've started with The Witcher Series by Andezji Sapkowsky in preparation for The Witcher 3.

I'm not sure if it's the German translation or if it's like that in the original, but the writing is atrocious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I read that fast. I spend hours per day reading but I'm a slow reader. I know, stop sounding out the words in my head, but I like reading like that. *sigh*
    It's not only how you read. The text itself has a great influence. There are books which I can breeze through and others where it takes over 1 minute just for a simple page because it is written very complicated or just weird. The topic of the text is also important.

Don't only blame yourself. Blame the books too!