Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Pokemon & Ash Ketchum

Ive been a long term Pokemon fan since i first watched season 1 back in 98, i thought when the series went on he get older, but nope, 15 seasons (and about 16 years by the RL clock) hes still portrayed as a bloody 10 year old.

According to the Website Fanpop, they say he's 16 by now. - http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/ash-ketc...ow-old-ash-now

According to Wiki, Hes still listed as 10 - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash_Ketchum

So i fail how the creators must get a kick with having him as 10 still
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone wants a child in their animated show, they WILL have a damn child in their animated show.

Maggie Simpson is in her twenties, after all. Ash still being ten is no biggie :P

The problem I have with him is that after 16yrs, he is still worse at Pokemon tactics than I was two hours after buying Pokemon Yellow -.-
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

wouldnt it be better to post about this in the pokemon megathread?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    If someone wants a child in their animated show, they WILL have a damn child in their animated show.

Maggie Simpson is in her twenties, after all. Ash still being ten is no biggie :P

The problem I have with him is that after 16yrs, he is still worse at Pokemon tactics than I was two hours after buying Pokemon Yellow -.-
    Hes not THAT bad

Okay, think of it this way. There has been 775 episodes, there's on average 1-2 days in an episode. So let's add 200 to that for travel/movies/multiple days in one episode.

2.6 years give or take isn't too bad. That's how I choose to think when watching shows where people seem frozen in time.

edit: this does not apply to the forever youthful Simpson characters.
    Last edited by Rushro; 2013-05-30 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    Hes not THAT bad
    Actually, he is.

Though I barely followed the Gold/Silver season and nothing after that, I do know in the first season, he barely ever one a single battle. He only ever wins against random scrubs he finds, and the gym leaders all have some contrived plot device that end up having him get their badge out of thanks. Not really sure if they follow the same formula for the other seasons, but that's how it was before...
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushro View Post
    Okay, think of it this way. There has been 775 episodes, there's on average 1-2 days in an episode. So let's add 200 to that for travel/movies/multiple days in one episode.

2.6 years give or take isn't too bad. That's how I choose to think when watching shows where people seem frozen in time.

edit: this does not apply to the forever youthful Simpson characters.
    So in esessence in a way, hes 12 now?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    So in esessence in a way, hes 12 now?
    They celebrate the day where he and Pikachu met in the 3rd movie, so some years pass in the show. My biggest issue is that in the B/W season he actually looks *younger* than he did previously.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    They celebrate the day where he and Pikachu met in the 3rd movie, so some years pass in the show. My biggest issue is that in the B/W season he actually looks *younger* than he did previously.
    That was my biggest beef with the series

My biggest beef is they didn't stop at 150 pokemon.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Danarez View Post
    My biggest beef is they didn't stop at 150 pokemon.
    It was never 150, it was 151.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    I really want to say chill the fuck out its a cartoon,if the main star got old and died it wouldnt last very long would it.

But because were fellow fans i will tease your mind with this snippet.

Google the "Ash Ketchum Coma Theory"!

10+ Year Old Account
    Most animated shows do this. A couple cases of characters actually aging are Dragon Ball Z and Digimon. But those happened during a time skip, at the end of a story arc.

It's an animation issue. Watch a show like Home Improvement, and see how many physical changes, and how often, the kids go through. It would be hell for an animated show to have to go through all that work, basically making a new character every season. It's forgivable, even in a case like Pokemon or The Simpsons, which have aired for many many years more than the average show.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Most animated shows do this. A couple cases of characters actually aging are Dragon Ball Z and Digimon. But those happened during a time skip, at the end of a story arc.

It's an animation issue. Watch a show like Home Improvement, and see how many physical changes, and how often, the kids go through. It would be hell for an animated show to have to go through all that work, basically making a new character every season. It's forgivable, even in a case like Pokemon or The Simpsons, which have aired for many many years more than the average show.
    Well, with shows like the Simpsons, it doesn't have much of a set timeline (save for the jokes they use that usually date the episode) it's not linear and the characters don't really evolve. The closest thing a show like that gets in change is maybe a character moving away or a new one moving in.

Shows like Pokemon are a journey, one that spans several different lands while the character's only change is attire. But really, it is a show for kids to enjoy. I don't think someone can really look too deeply in how Ash is always a kid, or how Team Rocket always harass him for a specific pokemon he has... So long as people don't say that Ash is Red, I have no problem it.

15+ Year Old Account
    My problem with where the show is at now is that his credentials are as follows:

badges now
    ranked top 16 in a league competition once
    ranked top 8 in a league competition three times
    ranked top 4 in a league competition once
    many misc tournaments and competitions wheres he's ranked highly or won

and yet he is still unable to beat trainers that just received their very first Pokemon. "Oh Pikachu lost because it couldnt use its electric attacks because it got hit by Zekroms thunder" shows how out of the loop the writers are at this point. An extremely battle-proficient Pikachu couldnt win against a Pokemon that hasnt ever been in a battle, really?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne25uk View Post
    I really want to say chill the fuck out its a cartoon,if the main star got old and died it wouldnt last very long would it.

But because were fellow fans i will tease your mind with this snippet.

Google the "Ash Ketchum Coma Theory"!
    http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Ash's_Coma

Sweet jeebus

10+ Year Old Account
    While we have no idea how long a Season is in terms of months, he is meant to be AT LEAST 11, because one of the Pikachu shorts things before the films says it takes place on their first anniversary.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    My problem with where the show is at now is that his credentials are as follows:

badges now
    ranked top 16 in a league competition once
    ranked top 8 in a league competition three times
    ranked top 4 in a league competition once
    many misc tournaments and competitions wheres he's ranked highly or won

and yet he is still unable to beat trainers that just received their very first Pokemon. "Oh Pikachu lost because it couldnt use its electric attacks because it got hit by Zekroms thunder" shows how out of the loop the writers are at this point. An extremely battle-proficient Pikachu couldnt win against a Pokemon that hasnt ever been in a battle, really?
    Good writing kinda goes out the window when your hero only wins for some randomly, contrived BS. I mean, he never actually defeated any of the gym leaders, (at least in the first season) always losing or about to lose and Team Rocket would come in and ruin it all. Hell, not even the gym leaders, most of the season has him losing against most trainers. The only times he ever wins is against Team Rocket or a wild pokemon, half the time he gets them without even battling them.

Man, I even remember how awful it was when they went to their first tournament. When Ash meets up with his long-lost-sibling who I still can't tell if it was a boy or girl. How he loses utterly, then spends an entire episode to mope around.

I really didn't watch much pokemon after that, save for the movies when they came out, but I doubt things improved much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Actually, he is.

Though I barely followed the Gold/Silver season and nothing after that, I do know in the first season, he barely ever one a single battle. He only ever wins against random scrubs he finds, and the gym leaders all have some contrived plot device that end up having him get their badge out of thanks. Not really sure if they follow the same formula for the other seasons, but that's how it was before...
    He only got 2 (arguably 3) badges for no reason during the Indigo League season:
    Pewter City: Got it from Brock for no reason
    Cerulean City: Beated Misty, won legit
    Vermillion City: Beated Lt. Surge's Raichu in the rematch, won legit
    Saffron City: Fights Sabrine twice, never really beaten her in battle
    Celadon City: Beats Erika legit
    Fushia City: Beats Koga legit
    Cinnaber Isle: Ash beats Blaine in a re-match on top of a Volcano
    Virridian City: Beated Jesse/James for the badge (Could be arguably counted as not a legit win, but they did use Giovanni's pokemon)

So no idea where the "all the gym leaders plot device free badge" rant comes from......
    And he won every badge legit in the other leagues, although some required a rematch.

Top 16 Indigo League (Charizard not listening during his fight against Richie made him lose)
    Orange League Champion (Barely won)
    Top 8 Johto League (beats Gary, but loses to a trainer from Hoenn named Harrison and his Blaziken)
    Top 8 Hoenn League (loses to a friend/rival named Tyson)
    Battle Frontier Champion
    Top 4 Sinnoh League (Loses to a trainer who had a Latios & Darkrai, other 4 pokemon unknown)
    Top 8 Unova League (Barely lost semi-final match)

The only problem I have it that he went from Top 4 to Top 8 again AND that he always wants to start "fresh" each season. Dumping his powerhouses @ Oak and using the new pokemon he catches in the League (this happends from Hoenn till present season). He could have probably won a league or two if he used powerhouses like Charizard, Snorlax etc. But they need to show off the new pokemon of course to promote the latest games, hence they force him to make a fresh start each region.
    Doesn't help that the anime made him dumb in the 2nd episode of the Unova season again for a moment by forgetting you have to make a pokemon weaker before you can capture it.........

@whoever said about him looking younger now. Better animation makes him look younger.

Man, I even remember how awful it was when they went to their first tournament. When Ash meets up with his long-lost-sibling who I still can't tell if it was a boy or girl. How he loses utterly, then spends an entire episode to mope around.
    Richie wasn't a long lost twin brother. Just a trainer with similar pokemon and personality. It;s hinted he was from the Orange Islands.
    Last edited by dirk123; 2013-05-31 at 11:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably to keep him innocent / naive / allow children to associate with him more