Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadow Priest, Struggling progression please help

We are struggling and I am tryin to fine tune everyone. Can you please look at our shadow priest and let me know if there is anything we can do better. I am sorry if this is the wrong spot to post. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks

Logs
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/96d966uodjrgn46k/

Armory
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eownage/simple

Simple first thought, tell him to ignore socket bonuses for full haste build.
    http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3160
    He's past the +2 breakpoint but simply put unless he's past the VT +3 at 18200 haste he should
    get as much as he can with 320 haste gems in everything.
    Other than that looks like he's doing fine and isn't one that you should be worrying about.
    Unless of course he's dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    18.2k is an important Haste point because it's the GCD cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayturr View Post
    Simple first thought, tell him to ignore socket bonuses for full haste build.
    http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3160
    He's past the +2 breakpoint but simply put unless he's past the VT +3 at 18200 haste he should
    get as much as he can with 320 haste gems in everything.
    Other than that looks like he's doing fine and isn't one that you should be worrying about.
    Unless of course he's dying.
    Not sure where you see it says to ignore all socket bonuses. I would caution against ignoring 120int bonuses. Drye actually recommends at that very link:

Quote Originally Posted by Drye @ H2P
    Once you obtain the LMG, stacking haste will become our best option. This means that 320 haste yellows, 80 int 160 haste in reds, and 160 hit 160 haste in blue will be the way to go.
    If you do the math, intellect bonuses generally are still stronger to get.

Reckless Vermilion Onyx = 190.4 PP
    Energized Wild Jade = 201.6 PP
    Quick Sun's Radiance = 220.8 PP

So

190.4 + 120int > 220.8
    201.6 + 120int > 220.8
    190.4 + 60int > 220.8
    201.6 + 60int > 220.8

Exception is if by gemming 320haste on that item pushes you over a significant break point, otherwise int socket bonuses are still good. Crit, Mastery and spirit bonuses I would gem straight haste on though and just ignore the socket bonus.

Your priest is definitely limited by the lack of haste Nd gear he has but for his gear he's performing around the average level which is fine for a normal guild. It seems like there's other members of your raid that need more help.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The players that are underperforming in your raid are your boomkin and rogue, not your shadow priest. The fact that your rogue can't even perform on a fight that is almost patchwerk style like Jin'rokh testifies to that. Also, I don't know why either of them have yet to do even the first part of their legendary quest when both of them have killed enough t14 bosses in LFR to have obtained all of their sigils.

You know which players need to step it up.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in agreement with the rest. Your Spriest could use a little tweaking with stats, but is about where he should be. It will improve once he gets set bonuses as well. The boomkin and rogue, on the other hand, need a bit of help. For example, on my rogue with 483/476 daggers I was pulling about as much as your mage on Jinrokh. His gear is loaded with hit, so there's not much he can do about that, but he could reforge less into expertise and more into haste/mastery. Also needs more uptime on rupture.

give him some gear lol, his weap/offhand and trinkets blow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinalcrack View Post
    Not sure where you see it says to ignore all socket bonuses. I would caution against ignoring 120int bonuses. Drye actually recommends at that very link:

If you do the math, intellect bonuses generally are still stronger to get.

Reckless Vermilion Onyx = 190.4 PP
    Energized Wild Jade = 201.6 PP
    Quick Sun's Radiance = 220.8 PP

So

190.4 + 120int > 220.8
    201.6 + 120int > 220.8
    190.4 + 60int > 220.8
    201.6 + 60int > 220.8

Exception is if by gemming 320haste on that item pushes you over a significant break point, otherwise int socket bonuses are still good. Crit, Mastery and spirit bonuses I would gem straight haste on though and just ignore the socket bonus.
    This ^^, I never heard of completely ignoring socket bonuses, unless, like you said, it's significant to reaching a breakpoint.

To OP: I don't get why you're concerned with the person in the top 1-2 of your damage done on each fight, maybe you could start at the bottom of the list, that generally evens things out better.

It would be more benificial to talk to your rogue and boomkin, your shadow priest is doing fine. Nothing amamzing, but not terrible either.

I too would like to see if our SPriest is too low. I keep getting conflicting info. So any advice will be appreciated!
    WoL: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wu.../?s=831&e=1035
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lossoms/simple

As a general comment to "is player x too low", go to your log, check ranking info. If parse is < 80% as dps something is awry. Id call something around 90% a safe zone for sufficient dps on progression fights. Ignore top 100 type parses as many can be a function of excellent rng pulls. In this circumstance your priest is under that mark on fights like qon and lei Shen where there's nothing special other than straight line dps.

Edit: on a cursory glance his gear looks right, meta and trinket with haste>mastery reforges. Make sure he's tracking meta procs and refreshing dots appropriately
    Last edited by Smight; 2013-06-03 at 08:07 PM.

Yes I checked the ranking info and posted this on the raiding area but was then told to try a "Is my Dps too low" thread and found this. Im hoping some good Spriests will spot this and be able to make a specific call like.. "Halo is not hitting enough" or "There were not enough Mind Blasts" I do not play Shadow so I think I am just lookging for expertise on this. I will take the info I have already gathered and share it tho.

Sadly I'm being lazy with work and only on my phone. Looking at iron qon for example. Vt uptime 79% should be in the mid 90s. 9:30 fight with 39 mind blasts, far too low.

In trying to pull an alternative fight like Jin rohk I'm having a hard time finding the priest staying alive consistently? However the dot uptimes are still not optimal and mind blast isn't being used on cd.

Ty Smight I will pass this along. I know this Priest will only take advice from certain players/Priests but Im hoping I can talk them into being more open for advice. :/

The best source for a log critique is going to be howtopriest.com. /shamelessplug

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayshealing View Post
    I too would like to see if our SPriest is too low. I keep getting conflicting info. So any advice will be appreciated!
    WoL: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wu.../?s=831&e=1035
    not mindblasting anywhere near cooldown, not managing insanity well AT ALL (average of 6 insanity ticks per devouring plague is ridiculously bad) and low activity (which probably is compounding the problems). she needs to be focused on orb generation then insanity usage when she spends her orbs. i only looked at her iron qon log, but that really stuck out.

also, her power infusion wasn't always used for DP+insanity - if you look at her power infusion usage on qon, her last usage was just random - devouring plague was ready at the very end of the PI, but she missed out on basically all her insanity. if you pulled iron qon and one shot it, she should have had 3 orbs on pull and PI'd with her prepot and first DP/insanity, but she didn't seem to. she also missed her last PI at the very end, which is terrible as execute range PI's are amazing since you can get two DP's off from the extra SWD orbs.

going to buffs gained and buffs cast and hitting the # symbol will help you look at how your raiders are stacking their cooldowns.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your shadowpriest looks about on target for his gear, he's also appearing to be pretty consistently the top of the chart (or second), so I normally focus on the people at the bottom of the chart - because clearly your spriest is keeping up on the info by himself.

Look at Jin'rohk for example, your rogue should probably be at least over 200k on that fight (up to 250k) - in first place, yet he's at 157k. Your boomkin similarly could do really well on that fight by syncing his burst to the pool phases better. Mutilate, Fire and then Balance are the three best specs for that fight, a Shadowpriest is the worst class you can bring (not the worst spec, but hopefully people spec swap for what's best on a fight) - yet your rogue and boomkin are at the bottom by a mile, and your mage (who is frost and should be fire for Jin'rohk) is only barely beating your spriest. They all have mostly equal gear, so I'd expect to see the mage, rogue and druid all beating that spriest by 40-50k dps.

Which isn't to say your spriest is perfect or anything, just to be clear - but you're barking up the wrong tree

Looking at your Horridon kill, your spriests ToF uptime is a little low - he could probably gain another ~10-20k through better multi-dotting (mostly for ToF), he didn't use Mind Sear all fight - I recommend people use it at least occasionally when their ToF drops as a way to quickly get it active again. If you really wanted him to do more damage, better DoT cleave on Horridon would up his damage and make your last phase a little easier/faster. Potentially he could be in the 220k range, with perfect play and better uptime on Horridon. In similar gear your boomkin should be able to do mostly comparable damage to your Spriest, but your boomkin is doing literally half your Spriests damage, with perfect play your boomkin should probably be around 190-210k, he's at 107k. Your rogues damage is again really low, he's at 124k but he could be around 180-190k, does he use Marked for Death? Not sure if I just can't find it or if he's using something else. Could probably use more Fan of Knives for poison applications on the trash packs - your rogue should be annihilating those adds.

On Megaera. Your Spriest isn't multi-dotting both heads - he should be running Divine Insight and keeping Pain up on both heads 100% of the time for extra procs. That will up his damage on the head you are killing a lot. He's using Halo but his Halo damage looks really low - it could be a good bit higher than that - but if you are struggling to heal that he should save his Halo for the Rampages and stand 25 yards from the stacked group to Halo-sweetspot the raid - that will make healing those way easier and probably double your Spriests HPS (or more). But again, complaining about the spriest on this fight seems bizarre when your Boomkin is doing 74k and yet should be doing comparable damage to your Spriest at least - Boomkins are even stronger and proc multi-dotting than we are, and so in the same item level should beat Shadow on Megaera 10N, your boomkin has a slight item level disadvantage - but that should only put him close to par with your spriest, not at half your spriests damage.

So ya, there are things we could certainly improve on your Spriest - but telling your rogue and boomkin to press their damage buttons would provide a lot more benefit than eeking out the last 15% of performance your Spriest can offer. Let me know if you want more analysis
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Yvaelle, would you mind taking a look at the Spriest in my raid? Pls and ty if you have time and are able!!
    WoL:http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wu.../?s=831&e=1035

I have recieved some great feedback that I have shared with her thus far but I know she appreciates any advice to help improve. Ty!