Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I made 2 selections : mid end and high end. Especially the mid end one might be confusing considering the price tag of $600 which is not bad for a gaming rig but still not cheap for a desktop PC. The logic for this selection is going as cheap as possible without sacrificing huge drops in performance or quality. One could very easely take cheaper parts but is it worth saving 15 dollars for 20% less performance? This will play any current game you throw at it without any issues (skyrim/battlefield 3 etc) if you can accept not to run it at 8xAA or max settings, though high settings it should be able to manage easely, WoW will play smooth as butter on max settings of course.
    The high end is just that, best parts out there without paying a single buck too much for useless features. Will play any game max settings, even crysis!
    Below i will list not only the parts but also a brief explination why i picked those, so you feel confident you are buying the right parts and know why.

-------

Mid End

Processor :$130 AMD FX-6300 FX-Series Six-Core http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-Series-...ywords=fx+6300
    CPU cooler : $20 Cooler Master Hyper TX3 - CPU Cooler http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-...dp/B0028Y4S9K/
    Memory : $60 Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengea...Vengeance+8+GB
    Mainboard : $85 ASRock 970 EXTREME3 www.amazon.com/ASRock-970-EXTREME3-SB950-DDR3/dp/B005POPRG8/
    Videocard : $150 Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC 1GB DDR5 www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-DL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-11210-01-20G/dp/B00BWHIOQC/
    Storage : $100 Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB www.amazon.com/Samsung-120GB-internal-Solid-MZ-7TD120BW/dp/B009NHAF06/
    Powersupply :$55 Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Watt-EPS*-CX500/dp/B0092ML0MY/
    DVD rom : $20 LG Electronics 24X SATA Super-Multi DVD http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...dp/B009F1DYF8/
    Case : $50 Rosewill Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Black...dp/B003YVJJ5Y/

Total = $670

Optional :

Better Videocard : $195 Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-mini-...dp/B007PJTNYS/
    Additional Harddrive : $100 WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 http://www.amazon.com/WD-Green-Deskt...dp/B008YAHW6I/
    Equivalent Nvidia videocard : $150 EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-01G-P4-3652-KR/dp/B009KUT3UY/

The cpu is an AMD six core, a bargain at 130 dollars and is unlocked for easy overclocking.
    I included a custom cpu cooler, unless you are really strapped for the $20i would strongly advice to buy it. All the other parts like videocard and PSU are very silent so it would be a shame having the CPU fan making itself noticeable while doing important work on the PC. And there is no way around it once you decide to overclock the cpu.
    Memory over the past years has become so fast and so cheap its such a no brainer to pick RAM these days. 8GB is all you will ever need unless you run photoshop while editing a video while playing wow. you can go higher clockwise but it makes so little difference in real world applications, any money spent on performance increase is better spend elsewhere.
    The 7790 is a new GPU by AMD, comes factory overclocked the the Sapphire edition comes with the best cooler in the series. Low power of course.
    As storage we gonna install a 128GB SSD. You could probably save a few bucks and buy a standard harddrive but anyone who ever worked with a SSD is never going back. SSD is about 5 times faster, no seek times, no noise, low power. Now you might think its only 128GB, its really not bad. Windows install will take around 30GB at the most, WoW will take 22GB which leaves rooms for a few more games and your music collection. Also these days so many people use external drives and USB sticks.
    Powersupply is where people try to save money at and often overestimate at the same time how much wattage they require. 500watts is all you ever need, no need for more. The money saved it better spend on the 80 plus bronze standard. this means the powersupply will be more effective at turning power from your socket into lower voltages that your components can use. This results in lower power usage which means lower electricity bill and lower heat giving off less heat at the same time so the fan doesnt have to spin at a higher rpm to cool it. Overall this means higher quality parts are used so the chances are lower it will catch fire or fry your parts.
    DVDROM is something we can almost do without these days, lucky its dirtcheap so we add it anyway.
    The case does everything you need it to do , lot of space, easy to install components.
    Optionally i listed a better videocard and the nvidia equivalent of the original videocard if you prefer another brand. Should you have a huge movie collection i added a 2TB drive.

-------

High End:

Processor : $210 Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-...dp/B007SZ0E1K/
    CPU cooler : $80 Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpip...dp/B002VKVZ1A/
    Memory : $60 Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengea...Vengeance+8+GB
    Mainboard : $205 MSI Z77 MPOWER www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-Motherboard-Intel/dp/B0090Z39EA/
    Videocard : $250 Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Mini-Displayport-PCI-Express-Graphic-GV-R787OC-2GD/dp/B007PJVB3Y/
    Storage 1 : $170 Samsung 840 Series (SSD) 250 GB www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-7TD250BW-Solid-State-2-5-Inch/dp/B009NHAEXE/
    Storage 2 : $100 WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 http://www.amazon.com/WD-Green-Deskt...dp/B008YAHW6I/
    Powersupply : $150 Corsair AX 750 Watt Modular 80 PLUS Gold www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Watt-Modular-AX750/dp/B003PJ6QWE/
    DVD rom : $20 LG Electronics 24X SATA Super-Multi DVDhttp://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...dp/B009F1DYF8/
    Case : $60 Zalman Z11 Plus - mid tower - ATX http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Z11-Plu...dp/B007M4VALU/
    Total = $1305

Optional :

Better videocard : $400 Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB GDDR5 www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-Mini-Displayport-Graphics-GV-R797OC-3GD/dp/B00752QYLK/
    non OC mainboard : $135 ASRock Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4 http://www.amazon.com/LGA1155-CrossF...dp/B007KTY4A6/
    Equivalent Nvidia videocard : $290 MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Overvoltag...dp/B008SBX6GI/

The intel core i5 simply the best gaming CPU out there at the moment, do not waste money on anything more expensive as games dont use more cores. Cooler wise noctua is the best air cooling out there, but at that price point there is alot of choice , i personally own this one and never crossed my mind to get watercooling. Memory is again 8GB, dont need more speed or bigger size. Mainboard is one of the best out there, while you can go way more expensive this one is for me the best overclocker out there. IT has 12+4 phases, this is the most important spec to see how well it can overclock in theory. Standard mainboards have 4+1 or 8+2. And it has all the features you could wish for. The 7870 videocard is the top price/quality card on the market at the moment in my opinion, comes factory overclocked and a massive 3 fan cooler. storage wise we are going for the same brand and type of SSD but double in size, also by default we gonna add the 2TB drive. The power supply is 750watt 80 plus gold, being even higher quality and wastes less power than the 80 plus bronze one while running any possible single videocard setup out there. Case wise im surprised how cheap quality cases have become, you cant really go wrong anymore and sky is the limit choice wise, pick whatever you think looks good in your opinion, check the reviews and you have a winner any in case.
    Option i added a better videocard and the Nvidia equivalent. would you not be into overclocking your CPU you can grab the Asrock one, it has 8+2 phases so it will run cool and even overclock not that bad but spec wise its quite a difference, but $70 can matter even at that price point.
    I didnt add a soundcard to any of the above rigs even as option. The Realtek 898 onboard soundchip is very very good, to the point where i cant tell anyone its worth to shed out 100 bucks for a dedicated soundcard. I personally own an ASUS essence STX and while i can tell the difference i can only advise you to buy a soundcard if you need features like ASIO or headphone amplifier.

-------

While its not a definite list by far, you cant go wrong. You can get 50 sidegrades for some of the components, so see this as a starting point. You might have a certain cpu and videocard in mind but had no clue what PSU to pick so this could help you also. Keyboard/mouse is impossible to give a "right" answer cause everyone loves or hates the same mouse at the same time, looking around, go to a shop to actually try them out is what i advice.

If you got questions you can ask me in this thread or PM me, also if you have a different budget we can edit the current setups to fit those, also anyone can copy paste anything of the above and post it anywhere else and take credit for it, as long as it helps people out there choosing the right parts. Or edit the above and post your own choices below. This might cut down on the "what gaming rig should i buy?" threads.

Happy gaming!
    Last edited by mmoc5e4219aa76; 2013-04-23 at 09:48 PM.

You know, I'm quite confused why that was dropped in this thread, Visker.

Quote Originally Posted by Visker View Post
    *Text*
    Holy wall of text batman. That was painful to try to read and a bunch of the links are broken.

What is the purpose of this post?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

<Words>
    Both of your builds have questionable choices, but your high end build is especially confusing to me... The parts are very mismatched.

You've got a super beefy air cooler (arguably the beefiest air cooler available), a overtly expensive motherboard, and an overkill power supply, but then you go on to suggest mediocre RAM, a upper-mid tier video card, a mediocre SandForce SSD, and a $60 case...

I'd expect the parts in a "high end" build to be more balanced (like Marest's Gaming 1720 build, for example).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-04-23 at 02:27 PM.

Not sure a D14 would even fit in that case, it doesn't usually fit in cases with only a 120mm rear fan mount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    You know, I'm quite confused why that was dropped in this thread, Visker.
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    What is the purpose of this post?
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Both of your builds have questionable choices
    Likely because his previous post got locked for being.. I dunno. It's hard to recommend a single computer for tons of people.

I was commenting on how strange/off the build was, but it got locked before I could post.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    thanks for the feedback , links are fixed ( seems like something went wrong with the copy paste )

thanks for the feedback , links are fixed ( seems like something went wrong with the copy paste )
    This isn't feedback; these are almost all questions why you dropped that wall of text on this thread.

Also, a thing about the "high end" one, you've chosen RAM and CPU cooler that will foul each other except maybe in one exact configuration. While that'd be okay in a poorly planned build, your choice here is very ill-advised and should be changed, since most people want to be able to add more RAM.

And finally, Americans have a fondness of using a billion sites to purchase their PC from, since usually items have a shipping cost on individual items far as I've seen. Because of that, we have a lot of sites that aggregate components, though the most popular choice is pcpartpicker.com; any reason you chose to not use it?

Deleted
    Builds updated.

Mostly with minor changes. Some builds got bumped $10-20 up due to RAM modules increasing somewhat in price. I expect that to dial down in a few months again though. The Office build got a new case to bring the price down to ~$250 again. I do however not have experience with the Rosewill RS-M1-01 and the PSU it is bundled with. If anyone can find a review or give input I would appreciate it. Given my research, it is a cheap case with a few remarks, but perfectly acceptable for the task/price point.

The GTX 650 Ti BOOST did not find its place on the list this time around, although I would recommend it for anyone finding a 7850 too expensive and the 7770 a bit too "meh". That said, if you prefer nVidia overall the nVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost (that is a mouthful...) is well worth it instead of a 7850, although it should be a few bucks cheaper I reckon.

The high end builds remain more or less unchanged. The GeForce GTX Titan seems silly to recommend due to the price/performance aspect and the 7990, although bundled with some great games, is too fresh for me to recommend. Early reviews point towards some instability issues as well, so I'll wait with that. As before, I will lean more towards recommending nVidia when it comes to multi-GPU setups and that remains true today as well.

Future is interesting though. New Titan cards rumored, as well as the 760 Ti, 770 and 780 from nVidia. Haswell should not be long either with more and more news popping up around the web, although with a lot of focus on the mobile market sadly.

As always, input welcome. PM me if you have anything to add or if you have any questions.

Deleted
    MArest, your 1140 build has a Radeon 670. That...doesn't exist, and links to the GTX670.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    MArest, your 1140 build has a Radeon 670. That...doesn't exist, and links to the GTX670.
    Oh... that's still under NDA. Sssh, you saw nothing.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Radeon 670? whaaaaaat
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Radeon 670? whaaaaaat
    Maybe it will be the new numbering scheme when they would hit the HD 10000 series?

I am going to collect a new computer. I need some opinions I don't have the best budget so I have to be selective. Also not every brand can be found in Turkey so this is what I decided atm:
    Processor : Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz
    CPU cooler : COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO
    Mainboard : ASUS P8Z77-V LE P Intel Z77 Soket 1155 DDR3 2400MHz
    Ram : GSkill 8gb ddr3 1600mhz cl9
    Storage 1 : TRANSCEND 128GB SSD
    Storage 2 : SEAGATE 3.5" 2TB Barracuda Sata 3.0
    Case : COOLER MASTER HAF 912 PLUS GX 80PLUS 750W

Can't be sure about the graphic card though. I can't efford gtx670, the best I can do atm is to buy 1 card and sli it when it gets cheaper.
    In Turkey atm, asus gtx660 dcii top = 310$
    asus gtx660ti dcii top = 410$
    asus gtx650 ti boost = 255$
    POWERCOLOR HD7870 PCS+ EZ = 285$
    SO... What should I buy?

Deleted
    Here's a hint:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    [...] research the components, do some edits and then make a thread asking for assistance so that the more knowledgeable members here can aid you with your planned purchase and make sure you get the best possible components and performance for your money.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You may need to update the Antec VP-450W and ASUS VW246H suggestions as they are discontinued products. As great as the VW246H is, it has been discontinued, resellers have it priced ~$240 now.

Alternatives for the ASUS monitor are VS248H-P (no speakers) and VE248H (with speakers).

Deleted
    Hey guys,
    After 2 good years my windows 7 suddenly started diying and its time to re-install,oh I hate those days,so much to be done on a fresh windows 7.
    A few quick questions:
    I have 4gb ram , currently windows 7 ultimate 32 bit its 3.25gb ram available.
    I like to keep it clear and i rarely let a lot of things to run at same time.
    Example: Wow+skype+vent or Wow+skype+aimp(winamp),and mozilla off unless im on it So im not really having ram problems , rarely been able to get anywhere around 3gigs.
    Now the real question is:
    Should I change to 64 bit ? Am I gonna struggle with not enough ram(i can handle the mandatory search of drivers and programs 64 bit dw) ?
    Which windows is the lighter aswell ultimate ? proffessional ?
    Dont know if this means anything at all but my processor is suposingly a 64 bit and I heared rumours a 64 bit OS should unlock a bit of a performance UP , aswell as wow 64 bit client adds a bit more , so its double up if I survive the ram test.
    Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snype View Post
    Hey guys...
    This isn't really the thread for quick question/answers, just open a new thread of your own and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    This isn't really the thread for quick question/answers, just open a new thread of your own and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.
    You`re prolly right , tho I fail to understand the fail link betwen discussing a mobo and a windows choice as being right and wrong,however Ill post on a new topic.

Deleted
    Because this thread is about giving input about the sample builds and peripherals and you'll get better advice in your own thread because it's dedicated to you and your build/issue.