Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Holy Paladin Spirit - hrmph...

I've always been under the impression that spirit is king for a holy paladin, and to gem/reforge for it until you're comfortable (and don't go OOM by the end of a fight)....so I started doing some analysis on how much mp5 my spirit gives back.
    Your combat regen is calculated as follows:
    Combat Regen = Total Mana *0.02 +(1.1287*SPIRIT*Meditation%)
    Which means Combat Regen = 6000 +(0.56435*SPIRIT).

So, let's do some examples:
    MP5 = mana per 5 seconds
    MPM = Mana per Minute
    MPM5 = Mana ever 5 minutes
    15,000 spirit: gives you 14465.2 MP5/173,583 MPM/867915 MPM5
    14,000 spirit: gives you 13900.9MP5/166,810.80MPM/834054 MPM5
    13,000 spirit: gives you 13336.55MP5/160,038.60MPM/800193 MPM5
    12,000 spirit: gives you 12772.2 MP5/153,266 MPM/766332 MPM5
    11,000 spirit: gives you 12207.85MP5/146,494.20MPM/732471 MPM5
    10,000 spirit. That gives you 11653.5 MP5/139,722 MPM/698610 MPM5

Now let’s look at our new mastery.
    1% mastery 480 rating
    1% haste 425 rating
    1% crit 600 rating
    1% spell crit 1850 rating from int

If you could drop 1000 spirit (say from 15 to 14k)…If you drop that into mastery, that’s 2.08 more mastery, and you’d lose 33.8 MPM5 (one holy radiance + 1 Holy shock).
    Over the course of a 10 minute fight, those 20 spells – would that equate to a 2.08% bubble? That is where I’m at…I’m not sure.
    What are your thoughts? Any other analysis would help!

Deleted
    Spirit is your best stat, unless your only doing LFR and Normal mode.

I wouldn't take the choice you mentioned, but it all depends on how comfortable you are with your mana, you can do all the maths you want but if you end up hitting the floor at a bad time and someone dies, all the Mastery you stacked was worthless and Spirit would have kept the raid alive at that point

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are healing the most you can possibly heal and still have a ton of mana leftover on fights, start dropping spirit. It is depends on you and your raid really.

I had the same issue, I dropped a ton of spirit over the last few weeks. I had 16800 and am now at 14000(meta+heroic horridon's) and I feel fine with it so far.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-06-10 at 10:59 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Spirit is the best stat for any healer, but i don't like the mastery for pallys, so i stack haste in yellows, like old times, heal faster u can, than slow with a mastery...

I understand all of these posts about 'spirit is your best stat'...I'm a progressed raider.
    Someone link me some math to show HOW valuable it is other than regurgitating what you've been told please.

Ok, so real talk...

I dropped about 2.5k spirit for mastery and I'm down to around 13.5k spirit and have 40% mastery with might. I haven't noticed a huge increase in healing but I don't miss the spirit at all. We're working on Lei Shen which isn't that mana intensive to begin with so not really sure what will happen on a fight like Tortos when I'm spamming my ass off the entire fight. Probably switch to spirit flask/food and be fine.

I don't have the Horridon trinket yet but expect that if I ever get it I'll be able to shift even more toward mastery and still be fine.
    Living the casual life, oh yeah.

My pally has around 17k spirit. I never run out of mana, My Mastery is at 33% and I have 3000 haste. Just strike a balance where you feel comfortable.

I run 11,700 spirit, 42% mastery and 16% crit, I cannot even begin to fathom 17k spirit, can you spam Flash and not oom?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellinz View Post
    I run 11,700 spirit, 42% mastery and 16% crit, I cannot even begin to fathom 17k spirit, can you spam Flash and not oom?
    Not unless your meta procced

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijin View Post
    Spirit is the best stat for any healer, but i don't like the mastery for pallys, so i stack haste in yellows, like old times, heal faster u can, than slow with a mastery...
    This is false. Paladins are really the only healers who need a decent chunk of spirit now unless the raid is helping them out(intervates and other mana cooldowns). Shaman stack it for the raid, not for themselves. Monks hate spirit. And priests really don't need to stack it either.

Even though we favor spirit more than other healers, there is still comes a point where it loses value. And is mastery>haste, period.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-06-11 at 04:20 AM.

Deleted
    If people want their linked stats to make sense they should really be combined with progression, 10 vs 25 and amount of healers used.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbubble View Post
    I understand all of these posts about 'spirit is your best stat'...I'm a progressed raider.
    Someone link me some math to show HOW valuable it is other than regurgitating what you've been told please.
    You can't quantify it with maths, its not like DPS or Tanking where you have pure DPS numbers or effective health to value things on, and specially when your entire role depends on how much the other 1-5 people are doing and how many of them have mana cooldowns, and how good they are, you simply can't put a value on it thats why we're telling you "what we've been told"

I'm progressing on 25man hc Lei Shen ATM never get innervates but we always have a mana tide, unbuffed I have 12k spirit I use spirit flask as an alchemist and int food. My healing has skyrocketed since lowering my spirit but you do have to play more cautiously.

So it's been a little while since I've healed as a main spec (early Cata hardmodes), but my gearing/playstyle has always revolved around the idea that an OOM healer is a useless healer. If you feel that you have "too much" mana, then you can always convert some of that to more throughput by replacing cheap HL with more costly DL or FoL. Or, to more DPS via Denounce. However, there's no way to go in the other direction. There's no way to convert DL or FoL to HL, because when you are casting those spells, it's because your target needs it. It's like the old addage, I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. (Oh, and Mastery > Haste because damage prevented > damage healed)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijin View Post
    No it isn't.

---------- Post added 2013-06-11 at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lorilaith View Post
    I'm progressing on 25man hc Lei Shen ATM never get innervates but we always have a mana tide, unbuffed I have 12k spirit I use spirit flask as an alchemist and int food. My healing has skyrocketed since lowering my spirit but you do have to play more cautiously.
    Unfortunately you're gimping yourself using a spirit flask...

Debating dropping some spirit also for Lei Shen, but I'm trying to figure if I want to drop it for secondary stats or intellect (via gemming, that is).

Deleted
    @OP: http://iam.yellingontheinternet.com/...ling-problems/

Something to read over in regards to why spirit is a bad stat, including why cheaper spells actually make spirit more attractive and why expensive spells make it less so.

Another thing to consider, fights like ra-den or lei shen with incredibly intensive burn phases and not much healing elsewhere favor output stats by a huge margin.
    Last edited by mmoc3f252392be; 2013-06-11 at 08:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    16k spirit here, it seems about right for my team (Hpal, Rdruid/sham). That's at 5/13h though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    @OP: http://iam.yellingontheinternet.com/...ling-problems/

Something to read over in regards to why spirit is a bad stat, including why cheaper spells actually make spirit more attractive and why expensive spells make it less so.
    Spirit isn't a bad stat for paladins. Paladins have the worst regen out of all healers, unless you are allowed to constantly melee the boss, which you won't have time to do on most heroic fights. Especially if you raid 10 man, where you will have less mana tides, if any at all, and the quick responsive burst healing you need to dish out, rather than having 6 healers constantly aoe healing.

Having that said, I'm also dropping some spirit for mastery. Basically regemmed to focus on mastery over spirit, and it's working out well.