Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I dislike turtles! Tortos 10N

So, I'll start by saying my guild has basically hit a brick wall in the form of a turtle named Tortos (on 10M Normal). Just to give you some background we really only get 1 day a week to raid ToT due to other peoples commitments and the impossible task of trying to recruit others! Anyway...

We are 16/16 in T14 (heroic modes are something we have no interest in) and none of it really gave us any problems. The first 3 in ToT were also dispatched pretty quickly, in fact this week we even 9 manned one shot Horridon. So the first 3 bosses went down leaving us plenty of time to work on Tortos. 18 wipes later, people were feeling a bit drained and we gave up without really making much progress - The best attempt being a 65% wipe

The group consists of a DK tank (me) on bats and Drood tank on Tortos. Healers are a Holy Pala, Resto Druid and Disc Priest. DPS are Ele Sham, 2 x Hunters, Shadow Priest and a Fury Warrior (sometimes we have 2 x wars instead of the hunters). As the bat tank I am finding it incredibly difficult and its probably the most awkward boss I've ever had the pleasure of tanking, just picking them up, avoiding the crap falling from the roof and dodging the smaller turtles and managing cooldowns. The overall raid dmg seems very high and we just do not seem to be able to deal with it. I'm just looking for any helpful tips or tacts to drop the bitch.

TL;DR Tortos is a dick and I would really appreciate any help from those that have killed him.

Deleted
    do you have any logs to share?

you need to focus on turtles first. problem is that those hunters help A LOT with picking up bats and killing turtiles, so if you have 2 warriors instead of the hunters, you miss misdirect and the necessary ranged DPS to kill turtles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have just your warrior slow the Turtles when they come. Hunter traps fuck up warrior slows. Slap the warrior full time on turtle slowing duty. The rest just could use their single target slows if they see a turtle is out of control.

Mark (if you have DBM, it will do it for you) the very first turtle and focus it down ASAP. Turtles have large hitbox, so melee can DPS them safely as well. If you do that, you have one turtle to interrupt breath. Use BL if you lack the DPS here. Kill rest of the turtles, kick shells do maintain the shell debuff on boss (the debuff doesn't stack, so just kick the turtle only when it has run off and you have an extra for the breath available).

Make sure your healers rotate CDs for the Quakes. And top people up. The Rockfall will do AoE damage larger then the circle. Make sure that you are far away from any circles. If you have many Rockfall locations together, the damage will be larger.

The bats come as a pack from certain location, have either of the hunters MD the bats to you so you would have easier time in picking them up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to do the turtle kicking in my guild group. Here is the macro I use for kicking turtles, it helps a lot. If your turtle kicker isn't using it I recommend they try it.
    /targetexact Whirl Turtle
    /click ExtraActionButton1
    /targetlasttarget
    Last edited by SL1200; 2013-06-12 at 12:03 PM.

Deleted
    Just put a player with some brains to intrerrupt boss, also understand that sometimes it's almost impossible to intrerrupt due to rockfall stacking on the turtle.
    Tips:
    (my guild does tot with 3 healers)
    Make healers to stay on the left and right side of the room, well this applies to any ranger.
    Player which has the job to intrerrupt should make a macro with /tar whirl turtle (that's the name i think)
    When you take bats ask a healer to put some deff cds on you, as a monk healer usualy i put cocon on tank and i can just /dance for the rest of the fight.
    And the most important thing ever!!!!!!
    This thing happened in my ex guild. and it's the main reason for alot of fights.
    TELL THEM TO MOVE THE F* OUT OF SHIT from the ground.
    Usualy ppls just stay in shit because if they move they will go down on recount. simple as that, they just don't move out of bad things because getting low dps or their heal will go down, just watch ppls for few wipes and you will see i am right
    Make healers use their cds one after another not everyone at the same time. (talking about quake now)
    And that's it.
    Btw i don't think 18 wipes are that much, we're on about 40 wipes on durumu everyting works well except for the fact that some ppls are too brain dead and can't move out of shit.

Dumb azz Tortos is all about kicking a turtle. I do it, and to be honest it took over 20 wipes before I had a real good feel for kicking. Mage here btw.

What I have found to work best for me...

-- inform the raid to stay the heck away from turtles during rock fall after quake. Rock Falls always happen where people are, by not being near the turtles it removes excess damage to kicker (which can be fatal)
    -- as the kicker, I stop DPS as soon as quake happens, click on the turtle I intend to kick and get with 8-10 yards of said turtle, constantly moving (staying 8-10 yards away) to avoid rock falls while watching the DBM timer. Moment that time reaches ~2.5 till Furious Breath, I run in and kick the turtle down his Throat. Back to DPS, I rarely DPS anything besides turtles during this time.
    -- after 2nd set of turtles, I always try to kick a turtle thru bats (and hopefully Tortos) once the new wave of bats come down and tank has them. We leave the 2 extra turtles from first wave sitting to insure there is always a turtle to stop breath
    -- your kicker needs to be VOCAL, if quake happens and your main kicker is not going to reach a turtle, they need to b saying so in vent so another raid member can kick
    -- at ~25% we hero and burn, as kicker you still need to FOCUS on being in position to kick, this can be chaotic but that kick must get off even if you die doing it
    -- I use all my short cooldowns to burst spinning turtle down

The other thing is that your raid is probably taking way too much rock fall damage, those blue circles where it is going to fall only indicate main damage. People need to be 8 yards or so from those to avoid splash damage (aka they need to keep moving during rock fall after quake).

Unfortunately you don't have a warlock, we abuse Health Stones that fight. Warlock even drops another Well during the fight so we can replenish.

Edit - BTW as kicker look at your options before picking turtle, sometimes spinning turtles make one option very bad to pick

It's quite easy, just dodge the turtles and burn them, after that kick them and that's it. It's a DPS fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenzooom View Post
    It's quite easy, just dodge the turtles and burn them, after that kick them and that's it. It's a DPS fight.
    It is not a dps fight. This is a mechanics fight hands down. The enrage timer is virtually non existent. Kick turtles at tortos to stop breath, stay out of shit, help with bat duty by kicking a turtle at them (and tortos) if you have more than 2 shells and you will easily down this, no matter how long it takes you.

Are all your raiders using personal defensive cooldowns to help limit raid damage?

For example, your hunters can Deterrence some of the Quake Stomps (more if they spec into Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera for cooldown reduction on Deterrence) and there's really no reason NOT to Deterrence them; the stun will still happen and once the stun ends the hunters can cancel deterrence.

We have our holy pally use righteous fury so the bats go straight to him instead of all over the room, to make it easier for the bat tank to pick it up. Tell your dps to not worry about damage so much, just get the mechanics down, then ramp up dps as everyone gets comfortable, your turtle kicker especially.

Try to use one turtle for breath and one right before quake, aimed at the bats. If your turtle kicker has to do nothing but watch timers for a couple pulls, so be it.

Slows on the turtles is a must.

Come up with a healer rotation for quake. We find it helps to HoP the resto druid for tranq.

I'm a new turtle kicker for my guild, and it took me about 20 wipes to get comfortable with it. That was not a fun night. Once you get it, though, it's a pretty fun fight.

We face smashed on Tortos for a night or so and then we figured out the way things need to go. I would second (third?) the notion that you want to have your healers going through Raid Wall style big CDs during the Quake. After that it's 8 seconds of just surviving the Rockfall. What worked for us (and continues to do so) is to have everyone line up on the left side of Tortos before quake and then run to the right. If people spread out the odds of people running into each other are almost 0%.

Regarding the Shells, we did one kick to interrupt the Furious Stone Breath and then always one after that on the bats. One solid kick through the bats causes those suckers to melt under the weight of melee destruction. You're going to want your range constantly burning down shells and only when there are no shells up should your range be blowing up Tortos (not counting multi-DOTers obviously). Finally, the enrage itself isn't anything to worry about but at the 5 minute mark he will hit a soft enrage and send a ridiculous amount of turtles coming your way. At that point it's usually make or break, so pop anything left and make it happen.

Good luck mate! Once you get it down it's a relatively fun and quick fight to wake people up before going to Megaera.

P.S. Don't hinge your entire strategy on one kicker, because the night he's not there you're going to have a rough time of it. Try to have at least a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenzooom View Post
    Please don't give garbage info out. It's mechanics trumping all on this fight.

1) You have two hunters... Have them make macros that cast MD on the bat tank and then target the bats and cast Barrage (two macros -- One to MD and one to target bats and barrage).... Easy way to get the bats to you.

2) The person kicking to interrupt the breath needs to really focus on that and watch the timers. Someone posted a macro to target and kick a shell - make them use that macro.

3) Once you have a few extra shells, have someone (the backup shell kicker) kick the ones that are out of the way through the bats and into the boss --- getting hit by that shell makes the bats and Tortos take more damage.

4) Have your hunters drop ice traps to slow the turtle shells and use concussive shot to slow them again later.

5) Tell people not to stand anywhere near the "dead" shells during rockfall.

6) During Rockfall..... just keep moving and stay as far from the spot where the rocks hit as they can. Use personal cooldowns or heals to help the healers.
    Last edited by Rackfu; 2013-06-12 at 11:30 PM.

Tortos can seem overwhelming at first but once you are able to succesfully kill the turtles and bats before a stomp the fight is done. The boss will hit a mini enrage at around 15-20% not sure which and at this point you just burn the boss. It's just one of those bosses where you wipe really fast but if you got the dps to 9man horridon then you shouldn't have a problem with killing the adds on time aslong as your dps hit the right targets and switch to bats when a turtle has been kicked through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlooo View Post
    Tortos can seem overwhelming at first but once you are able to succesfully kill the turtles and bats before a stomp the fight is done. The boss will hit a mini enrage at around 15-20% not sure which and at this point you just burn the boss. It's just one of those bosses where you wipe really fast but if you got the dps to 9man horridon then you shouldn't have a problem with killing the adds on time aslong as your dps hit the right targets and switch to bats when a turtle has been kicked through them.
    Pretty sure he doesn't enrage at sub 20%..... most groups just burn him then with heroism and ignore everything else except tank grabbing any bats. If still working on mechanics, it might be easier to not do a burn phase and keep going as you would normally

10+ Year Old Account
    Soft enrage isn't on a timer it's at a certain %age of health as far as I've experienced, at about 20% or so the turtles will start spawning much faster and it turns from a game of dps turtles to kill tortos ASAP. This is where a lot of people lust though your mileage may vary.

Turtle kicking isn't hard, have a designated ranged or healer put the boss on focus, have a bind for the extra action button and pay attention. Easiest way to organise the turtles is if less than 3, save for interrupts on boss, if 3 dead turtles, pop one for DPS. If you still miss an interrupt doing this then you're just not paying enough attention, always be ahead of his energy bar, decide the turtle that you want to interrupt with in advance and if necessary make sure people don't stand on him to avoid bad rockfalls. If you die or for some reason cannot do it tell people AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE and find someone else who's in a position to do it. I've seen plenty of wipes to people realising that they can't interrupt when the boss is at 98 and going "oh btw can't do it".

Quake stomp hurts, the following rockfalls hurt quite a lot as well, make sure people understand that standing inside of a rockfall while likely = death from either the damage itself or their healers choking them out of frustration later. Have CD rotations organised for the moments following the quake stomp, and make sure to remind people to personal either the quake stomp itself or the rockfalls following if they have it available.

Make sure your ranged are aware that Turtle killing is their absolute priority, if turtles are alive and you're not finishing off the boss during soft enrage, they are targeting them. Make sure that turtles are kept slowed in some way, preferably a way with a low maintenance requirement. Your melee + you + other tank are in charge of killing bats and then burning boss, the only turtle that your melee should worry about is the very first one that you burn for the first interrupt.

One of your hunters speccing for barrage and using it with MD on every bat spawn is amazing and you should take advantage of it. Even on heroic where I play as a kiting brewmaster and we never kill the bats I have our hunter on MD duty and once we got into a rhythm we rarely ever got a single bat loose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gallamann View Post

Unfortunately you don't have a warlock, we abuse Health Stones that fight. Warlock even drops another Well during the fight so we can replenish.
    Man I'd hate to have this fight last long enough for that haha

Holy Paladin + Righteous Fury = Win.

Thanks for everything people have posted here. We got the first 3 out the way quickly last night and had around 45 mins at Tortos, I tried implementing a few things people have suggested and it seemed to be slightly better. It seems one of our main issues is the turtle kicker and most of the wipes were as a result of the breath as opposed to the damage done as a result of stomp or the crap falling from the roof.

I think once we have people confident with kicking the turtles we 'should' be ok - as someone mentioned above, dps is not our problem.

We will most likely be giving him another go on Monday, maybe it'll be our lucky night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukazor View Post
    Thanks for everything people have posted here. We got the first 3 out the way quickly last night and had around 45 mins at Tortos, I tried implementing a few things people have suggested and it seemed to be slightly better. It seems one of our main issues is the turtle kicker and most of the wipes were as a result of the breath as opposed to the damage done as a result of stomp or the crap falling from the roof.

I think once we have people confident with kicking the turtles we 'should' be ok - as someone mentioned above, dps is not our problem.

We will most likely be giving him another go on Monday, maybe it'll be our lucky night.

The first turtle is the only one where you have no spares. Make damn sure you get that one. For all of the others its helpful to have a backup kicker and communicate if a backup kick may be needed. Have them stand in different places, one left(ish) and one right(ish) for example.

Really this is a rinse / repeat fight once you get into the rhythm.
    1) Kill first turtle asap for kick. (always slow them)
    2) Deal with quake stomp
    3) Kill bats before next stomp so your tank doesn't get gibbed.

Start at 1) again.

On progress our wipes came early, once you get that rhythm going it's just a matter of whittling the boss down