Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I approve this patch. Yes, it's basically server merges but with your old realm attached to your name. Still a good idea though, and better PR than just merging them.

And yeah it was obviously coming the week after the half price transfers, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    So why not call those realms "House of (realm name)" under your title?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Welp, forgot about faction imbalances. Well, certainly they have a threshold that needs to be hit before it becomes a problem, right? 50/50 would be very hard to maintain, but 60/40 one way or another could still foster a decent factional balance...
    Sure. It's the 90/10's and 80/20's that need to be looked at and moved more toward parity. That may happen by keeping the realm 'together' (I guess) but it may be that VR's at the faction level could have some subtle differences.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    So Virtual Realms are what we have now with cross-realm-zones, but the people there are actually a part of your server group. I'm assuming CRZ's will still exist, but virtual realm population will over-take CRZ in favor of players you can keep around. That's a nice technological advancement for World of Warcraft.

But how does this remedy low population servers? Or server groups that become dead? It won't, and that's my worry. You can't add 10 dead servers and expect a highly populated one, so will they be attached to highly populated servers? There aren't a lot of FULL or High pop servers, so it'd probably be a nightmare to attach all the Low pop servers to them.
    Forget the term server or realm. Azeroth will be fully clustered server based. Just like EVE.

Simple: there will never be low pop servers again, because the player base is regrouped into battlegroups.

CRZ was just the 4th part in this evolution: first BG's then dungeons, then raids and finally in 2012 open worlds across servers (without loading screens, so seamless) and now with cross server trading, the circle is complete.

Anyone with a brain should have seen this coming for the past year.

But I still stood in awe they could do the CRZ thing without loading screens in a Legacy system.

But tldr: forget server/realms. Soon it will be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingercrab View Post
    They really should just ignore the bad PR, cut their losses and merge the servers officially. This is a pretty silly way to try to avoid the bad press.

But, looks cool regardless.. just not a fan of the # at the front of your name.
    Merger servers or not, personally, I think virtual realms is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    Merger servers or not, personally, I think virtual realms is the way forward.
    Its only a matter of time before they step beyond battlegroups, and its one continuous world.

Been wanting a change like this for AGES... but didn't really know if Blizzard was willing to sacrifice their cash cow of paid xfers.

Oh yeah, all during the 50% off transfers week I was teasing guildies and people in my raids that Blizzard was going to announce free transfers immediately after it ended. Pretty close, eh ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Sure. It's the 90/10's and 80/20's that need to be looked at and moved more toward parity. That may happen by keeping the realm 'together' (I guess) but it may be that VR's at the faction level could have some subtle differences.
    I really really really hope this will happen, but I can apperciate we are probably further down the q that "really low pop" realms.

We are at 85/15 atm and I am desperate for more people horde side!

I do also wonder if they will leave some low pop realms as there are some people that dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I wonder how they're going to group each virtual realm together.

I previously thought CRZ was based on realm type and server time zone, but someone corrected me that it's based on realm type and data center.

I can't imagine Blizzard merging different realm types together but I wonder if they will stick with data centers or mix them together on the virtual realms so that they can get high pop servers mixed with low pop servers properly.

I know with CRZ right now, my high pop server Bleeding Hollow is mixed with Illidan and Arthas which are both high pop, and that some friends on low pop servers say they rarely see anyone else out and about even though they're CRZ'd just because the servers that match their criteria are also low pop.
    Probably several servers at the same data center virtualized on the same machine, if they can help it. I'm sure they'd probably setup the new infrastructure to handle more than that but that's how I see them doing it, at least at first.

I'm wondering how they will group the realms myself. My mains realm I'm caped on the number of toons. So would be nice to know what other realms will be grouped with mine so that I can use those alts. Be nice to be able to mail heirlooms, gold, or even have new alts join my current guild. Another thing I just though of is how this might affect guilds where the realms grouped together might have guilds with the same name. At anyrate be interesting to see how this all plays out over the course of the PTR.
    Signature by Shyama

@thread

What exactly are Battlegroups for? What purpose do they serve, considering they contain different types of realms?

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

But tldr: forget server/realms. Soon it will be a thing of the past.
    Seems that way. Gotta give props to them for how they've done CRZ and now virtual realms. I have to think they will push things even further in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Its only a matter of time before they step beyond battlegroups, and its one continuous world.
    I doubt this - Azeroth isn't really scaled to be playable by that many people. One Virtual Realm per battlegroup will probably be as much as it can handle.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dyptheria View Post
    @thread

What exactly are Battlegroups for? What purpose do they serve, considering they contain different types of realms?
    They were implemented way back when for cross-server bg queues. Back then there was a physical limitation in that cross-server bg groupings happened only within the data cluster where your server was housed.

Until they added LFD in Wrath, I don't believe battlegroups were ever used for anything else. Nowadays I don't think they have the same physical limitations on LFD/LFR/BGs so battlegroups are just an old holdover from the past.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I doubt this - Azeroth isn't really scaled to be playable by that many people. One Virtual Realm per battlegroup will probably be as much as it can handle.
    It's mainly a client-end limitation imposed by networking and rendering. Traffic and interaction goes up as roughly the square of characters present in a small area.

Deleted
    Called it! I had nearly exactly this idea in a thread last April.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...mentor-servers

low pop servers and imbalanced servers are assigned mentor servers according to criteria like faction balance, PvP style and content progression. multiple servers can be assigned in both directions, but it remains contained to small clumps. once assigned, these servers remain separate entities, but can interact with each other completely. players stay on their own servers, but they can do anything they want with anyone from their mentor server(s), as well as anyone from the other mentored servers in their clump. to prevent massive overpopulation, these clumps don't simulate a single azeroth, but multiple azeroths, like The old Republic did it.

for example: server A has 100,000 Horde and 17,000 Alliance, server B has 2,000 Horde and 19,000 Alliance, server C has 10,000 Horde and 62,000 Alliance and server D has 3,000 Horde and 17,000 Alliance. these are just numbers i've pulled from my ass to give an example btw and are likely much higher than actual server numbers, don't look for anything behind them. it's clear that these servers are either imbalanced, low pop, or both. When the mentor program is rolled out, these servers form 1 clump. in total, there are 115,000 characters on each side on all servers combined. Characters from any of these servers can play with any character from another server as if they played on their servers, like an extreme version of cross realm zones and grouping, but without the need to have a player from the other server as a realID or battletag friend. a normal friend suffices

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Seems that way. Gotta give props to them for how they've done CRZ and now virtual realms. I have to think they will push things even further in the future.
    I am glad you saw the impact of the new CRZ technology.

With this new technology introduced in 2012, Blizzard can now dynamically change or regroup servers without the players noticing anything.

This regrouping of servers/players is even done in real time. Fabulous technical achievement.

With the old battlegroup system back in 2006 where they clustered Battlegrounds from diffetent realms, they still had a loading screen timing to enter the instanced BG, the same technique was used in 2009 with dungeons.

The fact they now can simply regroup players of different servers in real time (shown by the CRZ technology), this is pure dynamite for an EVER populated Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
    Called it! I had nearly exactly this idea in a thread last April.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...mentor-servers
    Didn't see that post, but it would appear that great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    With this new technology introduced in 2012, Blizzard can now dynamically change or regroup servers without the players noticing anything.

This regrouping of servers/players is even done in real time. Fabulous technical achievement.
    Not really IMO since there is limit to it-namely if you have ppl from diff servers in 1 guild or since AH is going to be same for all servers in that cluster they cant just dynamically regroup servers as they like.

Quote Originally Posted by unrealeck View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of stuff in 5.4. Just seeing all the class changes, proffesion changes, knowing a new raid is coming then reading about this and the raid scaling feature.
    Just hope they aren't biting off more than they can chew.
    My biggest worry as well. But so far everything looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    They were implemented way back when for cross-server bg queues. Back then there was a physical limitation in that cross-server bg groupings happened only within the data cluster where your server was housed.

Until they added LFD in Wrath, I don't believe battlegroups were ever used for anything else. Nowadays I don't think they have the same physical limitations on LFD/LFR/BGs so battlegroups are just an old holdover from the past.
    BGs/LFGs/LFRs have a priority system: server, battlegroup, region. My understanding, at least. But the first priority above all those is speed. It's not gonna make you wait an hour to get a scenario with folks from your server, but it will check there first.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.