Thread: Kick = Deserter

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Kick = Deserter

So I was just kicked from a dungeon and received a 30-minute Deserter debuff as a result. The reasons for the kick were a bit dubious (they didn't like me soloing trash in a level 65 dungeon...), but I can live with a kick. Fine, whatever.

But Deserter? So if a group doesn't like you now, they get to lock you out of all dungeons for 30 minutes?

What the actual fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solo-ing trash... I guess the system is more clever than i thought, giving a 30min debuff.
    You're in a group.. Play as a group!
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Could be a bug? I've heard of it happening before.

On a related note, be a team player in dungeons and you won't get kicked. Even if you can solo trash, or don't need a tank, or don't need a healer, or whatever, remember it's a GROUP, so know your role and play accordingly. If you don't teach players team play at low levels, then they won't have those skills in heroics and raids.

Deleted
    It's not a bug. I've had this done to me before aswell, one of these "we have 4 guildies in the group so we think its funny to kick you for no reason". I made a ticket asking why you receive deserter for it, and apparantly the game can't tell the difference between you leaving the group or being kicked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Could be a bug? I've heard of it happening before.

On a related note, be a team player in dungeons and you won't get kicked. Even if you can solo trash, or don't need a tank, or don't need a healer, or whatever, remember it's a GROUP, so know your role and play accordingly. If you don't teach players team play at low levels, then they won't have those skills in heroics and raids.
    I'm wondering what the group was doing if he was soloing trash. Unless he was one of the DPS who decided to have himself a wander....

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheo View Post
    It's not a bug. I've had this done to me before aswell, one of these "we have 4 guildies in the group so we think its funny to kick you for no reason". I made a ticket asking why you receive deserter for it, and apparantly the game can't tell the difference between you leaving the group or being kicked.
    Of course the program can see if you've been kicked or not :P
    They might not(though that sounds wrong too), not keep a log of if you was kicked or just left.

I used to avoid getting kicked before, but since the system not in any way reward you for being nice, i'dd rather get kicked when i dislike the group too much, than leaving.
    Never gotten deserter for that :P

Might add i've just done that the past month. Works wonders, and no change to the duration of "you can't kick this player for XXXX minutes because asshats deserves a chance too" :P
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

10+ Year Old Account
    The system can tell the difference but chooses not to. If you are kicked within a small window once starting the dungeon, you will receive the Deserter debuff. Its intention was to penalize the people who queue for the wrong role or AFK immediately, thus punishing the group. OP's conduct would fall under 'punishing the group' as he did not want to play as a team and was kicked quite early.

Protip: If you want to show 'WoW content is such a joke', either do it as a group or after the first boss.

Deleted
    As in, you were pulling mobs instead of the tank? I'd have kicked you as well and smiled if you got deserter.

10+ Year Old Account
    if u leave before one boss is down u get deserter kick or not

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Of course the program can see if you've been kicked or not :P
    They might not(though that sounds wrong too), not keep a log of if you was kicked or just left.

I used to avoid getting kicked before, but since the system not in any way reward you for being nice, i'dd rather get kicked when i dislike the group too much, than leaving.
    Never gotten deserter for that :P

Might add i've just done that the past month. Works wonders, and no change to the duration of "you can't kick this player for XXXX minutes because asshats deserves a chance too" :P
    Like others have said, if 1 boss has been killed you will never get Deserter. I'm only repeating what a GM told me, which was the system will only check to see if a boss has been killed and issue a deserter debuff if it hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheo View Post
    Like others have said, if 1 boss has been killed you will never get Deserter. I'm only repeating what a GM told me, which was the system will only check to see if a boss has been killed and issue a deserter debuff if it hasn't.
    Yeah i saw that on the later posts.
    I'm not that quick to hate a group that i have had need to do that before, so guess that's why i never happened.
    I've never been able to kick a person before the progress of several bosses either, so it would have to be damn slow for that i guess <.<

Sounds like a fine system though.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    If you're going to solo trash in the instance why not run into it manually instead of joining through dungeon finder and slow down their progress?
    That's what I did on my paladin a few years ago, they were so strong that dungeons were easy to just rush through on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Yeah i saw that on the later posts.
    I'm not that quick to hate a group that i have had need to do that before, so guess that's why i never happened.
    I've never been able to kick a person before the progress of several bosses either, so it would have to be damn slow for that i guess <.<

Sounds like a fine system though.
    Some people can kick you right away, it depens on how often they kick people from dungeons. If you kick like 10 people you wont be able to kick more players for a few months or something like that.
    Really it's bad for those who regularly do dungeons, therefore I never kick people unless they are really really annoying. Stupid system.
    Last edited by mmocbd7275b6ea; 2013-06-15 at 04:42 PM.

It happened to me, joined a grp already in progress and the tank shortly dies, I pop blood and finish the 2 mobs off and I got kicked for not rezzing the tank, It wasnt my poor tanking job that got anyone killed and it wasnt my poor healing that let the tank die, and yet I was the sucky player, mind you this was already mid way trhough a dungeon. Hell would it still have been my fault if i wasnt a class who could rezz?

Nothing wrong with soloing trash if its not wipng the grp or causing a set back, least hes actually dpsing and progressing the instance, not like some of these 10min break inbetween pull tanks and these auto atk dpsers. Some of you are probably the dips who dont mind..

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    if u leave before one boss is down u get deserter kick or not
    Interesting, I didn't realize that. Seems a bit open to abuse, I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be because it didn't used to be there and people would abuse that system by forcing the group to kick them instead of just leaving.

I remember a heroic dungeon back in WotLK where the tank suddenly decided the group's dps wasn't high enough for his liking, but he didn't want a deserter debuff, so instead of leaving he told us to boot him. The group didn't like his attitude and decided we wouldn't give him what he wanted, so since he wouldn't leave and afk'd on the spot, we continued on without him and wasted just as much of his time as he would have wasted had he left and gotten the debuff. He finally gave up and left and we got someone who wasn't a jerk.

I know there are groups that kick for ridiculous reasons though that have nothing to do with your actions in the group...like you're the same armor/weapon class as someone else who is in a guild group so they get rid of you so you won't roll on it.

No one has ever said the system is fair. Heck, I've gotten deserter from BGs many times because I DC'd or crashed and by the time I got the game loaded back up it decided to give it to me. That's no fun at all.

Deleted
    If you are grouped with bad slow players who think teamplay is fun with them then just go afk. Afking is far more common and absolutely normal for those dudes. They will love you for having "rl" and not taking the game serious. They might not even kick you after 10-20minutes. But sometimes they are so good nice guys, they will wait for you instead of pulling ahead. Well yeah, that's worst case scenario and you have to endure it.

30min debuff is sad thing yeah.. but as soon as you reach max level all those good mannered dudes will become tainted and start to just do things for rewards like the rest of us. Then they will be happy to have you I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Interesting, I didn't realize that. Seems a bit open to abuse, I suppose.
    It's probably to counter "Oculus-syndrome", people zoning in, going "Aw hell, not this place!", and then AFK-ing until they get kicked to avoid the deserter debuff, that happened a lot with certain heroics (Oculus being the most notorious), and it was annoying as hell to the other 4 people whose time was being wasted.

Sure it sucks when you get kicked by 4 guldies "for the lolz", but i never ever got kicked without good reason (Disconnects or something), so i don't know how common that sort of thing really is...

You got what you deserved. End of story.

SO
    -if u leave/get kicked before first boss you get diserter
    -you said you were soloing trash
    - around level 65 dungeon
    seems to me you entered and started ninjapulling sh*t the kick as i see it it's right and yeah getting kicked at start is a good reason to lock you out for 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    thus punishing the group. OP's conduct would fall under 'punishing the group' as he did not want to play as a team and was kicked quite early.
    Yeah! The OP was "punishing" the group by doing trash solo thus reducing the amount of time they spend in the dungeon! What a jerk!