Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealeck View Post
    I'm going to rent it. These aren't the games I buy since I'd only play them a couple of times and they're not that lengthy. Uncharted is another example. I'm skeptical of the reviews too. Multiplayer doesn't interest me at all but I never play online games on console.
    Yeah, if you're not going to play it online or try to platinum it definitely just rent it. I haven't seen a site that hasn't rated it 10/10 or 5/5 yet the single player story is really really good so I can see why.

Deleted
    Was watching my friend play this game and it looked an "ok" game but nothing more. The AI is really stupid...but as I said, it looked like a decent game but nothing I would ever spend 60 euros on.

Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    Yeah, if you're not going to play it online or try to platinum it definitely just rent it. I haven't seen a site that hasn't rated it 10/10 or 5/5 yet the single player story is really really good so I can see why.
    Bioschock got high ratings as well even though it was 10 times more terrible then the previous ones on combat and gameplay in general. Just because a game looks pretty (they used the same art throughout the entire game) doesn't mean it deserves a 10/10.

"the ending made up for the lack of gameplay"...that's what I got youtube for.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-06-16 at 11:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Was watching my friend play this game and it looked an "ok" game but nothing more. The AI is really stupid...but as I said, it looked like a decent game but nothing I would ever spend 60 euros on.
    That's something I noticed from videos too. The AI doesn't react to your companion crouching a few feet away from them. I guess it would be hard to code AI that will stay out of sight along with you as well as avoid getting stuck or straying too far from you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since they don't feel like making extra profit I will never get to play this. I don't even know anyone with a PS3. If i could get this on PC i would be happy to throw money at them.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Agreed! I really enjoyed playing as Ellie, especially with her bow. I wish Joel had her knife skills. Regarding the ending, it really left me thinking. I took it as a happy ending, but was it? Did Joel really do the right thing? I want to think he did, but...well, it makes you think.
    I am not too sure about the ending. It's not bad.. But.. I hoped for something different. And I actualy expected to cry like a baby during the ending, which luckily didn't happen. I'm sorta glad the way it ended, as they live happy now (I hope!).
    I've had a few manly tears during the game, if I'm real honest. Especially when Joel got pierced and when he fell off the horse.. I thought he died.

One of things I loved about this game, and what made it feel so real, at least relative to most other movies/games was the lack of a final boss or mustache-twirling villain, a grand conclusion, and other such movie/video game cliches. Obviously there were some cliches- elevators falling, conveniently timed rescues, etc., but the plot felt more like something that happened rather than something which was scripted and made to feel compelling. There were some moments, particularly the humvee battle and the bloater somehow locked in a closet in the gym, which felt contrived and made me roll my eyes a bit, but by and large everything that transpired felt organic and, in the scope of the character's development, somewhat routine, even if their ultimate objective was not.

The antagonists were all the sorts of people you would expect to find in a post-apocalyptic world. Contemptible as the hunters may be, Joel acknowledges that he participated in similar behavior in his past. They're not evil for the sake of being evil and although their leader have no larger plans except to survive. As Henry notes, it's survival of the fittest.

While David's certainly displays elements consistent with a cult leader, the struggle for food, especially in the dead of winter, is a genuine concern, and while he does display flashes of insanity, especially at the end of the act, he likewise seems primarily concerned with survival, and the cult element is diminished by his followers' refusals to take Ellie alive.

The final antagonists, the Fireflies, aren't really bad people. What's one more death if it means saving the world from infection? It's not even certain that Ellie was ever conscious after her near-drowning; her confusion at waking up in a hospital gown seems to indicate that she never woke up. Had Joel not intervened, the whole thing may have been entirely painless for her. Assuming that the vaccine would have worked, Joel likely condemns millions of people to death and perpetuates the suffering and loss of those who do survive (not that his decision is wrong).

There was also no connection between the antagonists. They were all just isolated bands of people whose contribution was to make life difficult for Joel and Ellie, much as it might be in a real apocalypse.

Of course, the rest of the game is excellent. The commentary about human nature when placed in a surrvival situation is nice, the action was serviceable at at times, great at others, and the world is gorgeous. But I was most impressed by what appeared to be an epic quest to save the human race ending with the world remaining entirely unchanged. The result of characters' odyssey is a (hopefully) pedestrian existence with a small band of survivors, with the risk of death by bandit or infected still present and Ellie's future (how people will react when they find she is immune, whether she can ever start a family, etc.) very much in doubt. And in an era where saving the world is a common end to a story, the fact that Ellie's immunity basically ends up benefiting nobody but herself was a genuinely refreshing conclusion.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nicely summed up Sneezeburger!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneezeburger View Post

The final antagonists, the Fireflies, aren't really bad people. What's one more death if it means saving the world from infection? It's not even certain that Ellie was ever conscious after her near-drowning; her confusion at waking up in a hospital gown seems to indicate that she never woke up. Had Joel not intervened, the whole thing may have been entirely painless for her. Assuming that the vaccine would have worked, Joel likely condemns millions of people to death and perpetuates the suffering and loss of those who do survive (not that his decision is wrong).
    Yeah. The issue as I see it, and probably as Joe saw it, is that it's a lot of 'what ifs' to stake Ellie's life on. There is no guarantee they would have been able to reverse engineer a real cure and if they did, how would they distribute it? There's no real order to the world. Also, how would they mass produce it for the whole civilized world? It would likely kill as many lives as it saved with all of the fighting over it. It obviously couldn't heal those already infected so there would still be the issue of the world being overrun by the things too. Giving Ellie and himself a life, a good life with Tommy's plant and the electricity, was probably the best choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm about 4 hours into the game and the story is great but my god the AI is awful. I've had Tess/Ellie/Bill randomly teleport locations, walk right into enemies, and just stand there and do nothing whenever I encountered an enemy. Other than that the game is pretty good I just wish the AI wasn't so bad.
    Last edited by Lancer; 2013-06-17 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Yeah. The issue as I see it, and probably as Joe saw it, is that it's a lot of 'what ifs' to stake Ellie's life on. There is no guarantee they would have been able to reverse engineer a real cure and if they did, how would they distribute it? There's no real order to the world. Also, how would they mass produce it for the whole civilized world? It would likely kill as many lives as it saved with all of the fighting over it. It obviously couldn't heal those already infected so there would still be the issue of the world being overrun by the things too. Giving Ellie and himself a life, a good life with Tommy's plant and the electricity, was probably the best choice.
    I think another factor in Joel's decision (probably intentional on Naughty Dog's part) was that Ellie is simply better than the people she would be saving. I'm fairly certain he would have no problem sending a random hunter or even someone like Bill to his death if it meant a cure, but Ellie is different. Even setting aside the father-daughter relationship that developed between the two, she represents everything that is right with the world was willing put her life on the line to save those who embodied the world qualities of humanity (though obviously her friends be helped as well). Ellie wasn't perfect, but these people simply did not deserve her and there was no question in my mind that Joel made the right decision in saving her.
    Last edited by Sneezeburger; 2013-06-17 at 06:43 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    This game makes me regret my daughter putting nickels and playing cards in my PS3....

Sorry for this wall of text everybody.

I used to own a PS3 4 years ago. I HATED the system, sold it, bought an xbox and have stayed with it ever since. I'm an avid rock band fan and have over 1800 songs ($1-2$ a piece) plus loads of equipment, accessories, and DLC for the xbox itself.

I'm switching to PS4 for the next gen console, here is my question: Should i buy a PS3 to play this game? I REALLY want to play it, and have the money to do so. But i figured i'd ask for peoples opinions before i did anything. If anything, i can trade the xbox and ps3 in with all the games and accessories i can sell at that time, and pawn everything else to easily come up with the $430 dollars or so for a PS4 and have additional money for launch games. Since i'm switching to PS4 in the long run, does it sound like a good idea? this game looks amazing. All the reviews say it's amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctestoid View Post
    I'm switching to PS4 for the next gen console, here is my question: Should i buy a PS3 to play this game? I REALLY want to play it, and have the money to do so
    On principle I won't buy a system for a single game. For this game though...I dunno. I mean, it's really good. I would look into what other PS3 exclusives there are before you make a decision. Uncharted (same developer), Ni No Kuni, God of War, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Infamous, Resistance and the upcoming Beyond: Two Souls and Rain to name some I have an interest in. If any of those catch your interest as well I think it's definitely worth it.

If you're okay with a gory, dark, emotional story then you definitely don't want to miss The Last of Us.

Deleted
    Sorry for this wall of text everybody.

I used to own a PS3 4 years ago. I HATED the system, sold it, bought an xbox and have stayed with it ever since. I'm an avid rock band fan and have over 1800 songs ($1-2$ a piece) plus loads of equipment, accessories, and DLC for the xbox itself.

I'm switching to PS4 for the next gen console, here is my question: Should i buy a PS3 to play this game? I REALLY want to play it, and have the money to do so. But i figured i'd ask for peoples opinions before i did anything. If anything, i can trade the xbox and ps3 in with all the games and accessories i can sell at that time, and pawn everything else to easily come up with the $430 dollars or so for a PS4 and have additional money for launch games. Since i'm switching to PS4 in the long run, does it sound like a good idea? this game looks amazing. All the reviews say it's amazing.
    Well considering sony are doing the whole Gaikai streaming thing next year(maybe..) for its PS3 library, if your going PS4 i'd just wait until they get that service up and running and play it on that. The game wont age in the year or 2 it takes to get the streaming up and running, just play it then.

Deleted
    I never played it myself but watched a playthrough on a stream
    But holy shit, it was amazing even tho i only got to watch it

Agree with some that the AI was a little weird sometimes but i mostly just loled at it

Deleted
    Got it Friday loved the prologue (well the first time...was rather pissed that the auto save was bugged so had to redo it 3 times) so far I'm in agreement with gamespots review of 8 out of 10 which is a solid score my opinion could change since I'm not far in enough but its certainly not a 10/10 or a masterpiece as some reviews have dubbed it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    I'm not far in enough
    And thats your problem there, finish it and then come back and say its just "solid", i dare you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    And thats your problem there, finish it and then come back and say its just "solid", i dare you
    I called it a solid 8 not just solid... 8 out of 10 is still a great score I can see it hitting a 9 for me but even with how far in I am its certainly not a 10 out of 10 perfect game

Deleted
    I'm switching to PS4 for the next gen console, here is my question: Should i buy a PS3 to play this game?
    Nope. You buy it digital from psnetwork and play it with your PS4. It's playstation exclusive, so its gonna be at their store at somepoint for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    I called it a solid 8 not just solid... 8 out of 10 is still a great score I can see it hitting a 9 for me but even with how far in I am its certainly not a 10 out of 10 perfect game
    Finally more people that agree with me! You should read the whole Facebook page of Naughty Dog and the picture they posted of the game with all the "10/10" scores it recieved.
    "10/10 doesn't mean perfect" - That's a quote from the picture aswell. It seems that these days to get a high rating is: Have good graphics and good gameplay. That's all what it takes these days.