Poll: Should Warlocks receive a fully supported tanking specialization?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    I don't have an interest in tanking as any of the existing tank specs.

I would tank in an instant if it was possible as a Warlock.
    You might, but you're the fringe of a fringe...

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I'm guessing a lot of people would at least try it out /take it as an offspec.
    I'm not sure why but you always seem to post on these forums in a way that you think you know everything. Why are you so against a CHOICE for players to be able to tank on a Warlock?
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

Deleted
    why not just make all the classes hybrids?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    I'm guessing a lot of people would at least try it out /take it as an offspec.
    I'm not sure why but you always seem to post on these forums in a way that you think you know everything. Why are you so against a CHOICE for players to be able to tank on a Warlock?
    Because you're denying me a years old choice to play a pure? Or am I the one that has to reroll?

I don't have an interest in tanking as any of the existing tank specs.
    Why not?

I would tank in an instant if it was possible as a Warlock.
    Why?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Because you're denying me a years old choice to play a pure?
    Because that matters?

I'd welcome it. We could use a cloth tank.
    I think the boat has sailed though, many people enjoy playing demonology as dps. Would require a huge redesign.

Because you're denying me a years old choice to play a pure? Or am I the one that has to reroll?
    No? Just don't be a tank spec. What exactly does "being a pure" have to do with anything? This seems like the "biggest baby" reason to not want something yet. Might as well have your reason be "because I don't wanna, meh :C"
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Or you could you know, roll a tank.
    This. For the hundreth time, warlocks are not tanks. Apart from the few niches that have made us tanks on occasions through the game's history, we are not a tanking class and the day we become one is the day I uninstall the game.

Warlocks have all they need to be serious tanks, except for the official brand. Be thankful for that.
    On a serious note, reroll druid or something? Why are you playing a warlock if you really want a tank?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    No? Just don't be a tank spec. What exactly does "being a pure" have to do with anything? This seems like the "biggest baby" reason to not want something yet. Might as well have your reason be "because I don't wanna, meh :C"
    I like to have 3 DPS specs, or are you asking Blizzard for a 4th spec for everyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Holy shit I mean this in the nicest possible way and I know opinions are subjective, but that's the most terrible idea I think I've ever heard proposed to WoW, ever.
    ...you know i was joking, right?

Deleted
    Warlock tanking is not new, like rogues they could tank in special situations for years.
    I'm all for official warlock tanks, it would give yet another source of tanks in a game where there is always a lack of tanks.

Even if we could tank with 100% of our dps stuff, and therefore not having the pleasure of double or triple dipping loots like other classes do, I'm sure many warlocks would have fun tanking.

I like to have 3 DPS specs, or are you asking Blizzard for a 4th spec for everyone?
    I feel that would be the best option, yes.

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 06:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    ...you know i was joking, right?
    Clearly not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivio View Post

There should be a limit to what a class can do.
    Druids would like to have a word with you

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 01:40 AM ----------

[QUOTE=Daedelus;21489211]I would love it. Wouldn't be that hard to do. Just make it so Spellpower converts to Armour or something like that, give us crit immunity and you're half way there. Making them a viable end-game raiding tank might not be possible but for 5-mans, why not?[COLOR="red"]

They already ARE viable in five mans.

---------- Post added 2013-06-18 at 01:46 AM ----------

Why would you feel you needed to reroll? I can only think of one reason.

You don't like the idea of being asked to switch to an OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    Why not?

Why?
    Why not:

I do not enjoy the tanking styles of the existing tank specs. I don't enjoy stagger as a mechanic. I was a blood dk as an alt for a while, but it's just not fun to play. I don't like the short-cd/haste focus of Paladins. I will admit that I haven't tried Guardian in a long time, but in my memory when I did try it out it just didn't feel unique from the other tanks.

Why:

DA tanking is fun and unique.

The Dark Apotheosis tanking style is built around a few core mechanics:
    1. Lot'o'health
    2. Big self-absorb at the cost of fury
    3. Demonic Fury generation (and corresponding huge fury pool)
    4. Self Heals through Damage

As a DA tank, you have to do damage to generate fury to be able to debuff mobs, provide your active damage mitigation (Twilight Ward) and provide burst threat. You generate fury through Corruption/Doom/ToC/Harvest Life. You can spend it for threat (Soul Fire), mitigation (Twilight Ward), or Enemy Damage Reduction (Aura of Enfeeblement).

As a part of this, you have a huge fury pool, with high fury costs. On top of that Twilight Ward has multiple charges (a la Conflag) allowing you to save up active mitigation for when it's most required. Your high fury pool can let you take more damage in low damage periods with the benfit of having more mitigation when you decide you need it.

Also, the talents work amazingly well when you interpret them for a DA tank:

Tier 15:
    Dark Regen provides another self defensive CD for periods of high, pulsing damge (Vizier Scream). Soul Leech lets you choose to be better at slow, significant 1-hit mechanics (Dire Call on Horridon). Harvest Life lets you sacrifice both those choices for AoE threat, self heals, and fury generation.

On a fight like Horridon you'd have an interesting choice between Harvest Life for add threat/fury, or Soul Leech to be a better Horridon tank.

Tier 30:
    This being more for control than anything, but Mortal Coil would probably be a go-to for boss tanking due to the small HP return

Tier 45:
    Most interesting tier by far. Soul Link would let you share health with your pet, or have an extra 20% health with GoSac. You could theoretically use your Voidwalker to help tank adds and split the damage and healing received to great effect. You could also pick Sac Pact for a high-amount absorb every minute allowing you to time it with big hits. You could also take Dark Bargain if a fight had a mechanic like Static Shock.

Tier 60:
    Blood Horror is a bad choice, however Burning Rush could be useful, and unbound will could be amazing depending on fight mechanics. If a fight applied a magic debuff it'd be extremely useful (kind of like pally bubble/bop)

Tier 75:
    You'd probably end up taking GoSac + Soul Link for more health on most fights, but on fights where you need more DPS you could spec w/ one of the other pet talents.

Tier 90:
    AV would be pretty amazing as a tank. More damage just for being attacked. KjC would be great for when running with Harvest Life for add fights. MF would also be great for when you need to be able to pick up mobs that are spread out.

Nothing excites me as much as Warlock tanking. The playstyle is/was fun and interesting and unlike other tanks. I personally do not understand why people are so against adding options. Adding Warlock Tanking doesn't have to/require that Demo disappears as a DPS spec (see Feral/Guardian for MoP). It also doesn't magically mean that you lose the ability to DPS as Aff/Demo/Destro.

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 05:52 PM ----------

You could just as easily say: "I like to have 4 DPS specs, or are you asking Blizzard for a 5th spec for everyone?"

The limit is where you want it to be, and where Blizzard feels it should be. I would be estatic to have a 4th spec for every class as opposed to another class.

---------- Post added 2013-06-17 at 05:53 PM ----------

How does having the option to be a tank exclude you from playing your DPS spec of choice?

The only people being excluded here are the people who WANT to be a warlock tank, or a rogue tank for that matter.

Two new tanking classes did not increase the number of people playing tanks. How would a third help?
    I would be tanking. that would be at least one more tank in the queues.

why don't I roll a tank, you might ask?

warriors - have no super powers. meh.
    paladins - they are chaste church boys, their class color is pink and they like to wear gold. not my cup of tea
    death knights - I used to tank on my frost DK, but now only blood can be tanks and I hate blood spec. it's a terrible, made up spec created by a bunch of blood elf twilight vampires that are the shame of the scourge.
    druids - they are hippies. eww.
    monks - so, you're telling me that a drunk panda can take a punch, but my ultra muscular demon form with magically hardened skin and magical shields made of anger can't?
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I don't agree with your belief. Allowing evolution of a class into something more then it originally was conceived as is not in of itself a terrible concept. You pull facts out of your arse about fringe of fringe when in reality the novelty of it alone would be attractive to the vast majority of general consumers attracted to shiny things. Human nature and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I would be tanking. that would be at least one more tank in the queues.

why don't I roll a tank, you might ask?

warriors - have no super powers. meh.
    paladins - they are chaste church boys, their class color is pink and they like to wear gold. not my cup of tea
    death knights - I used to tank on my frost DK, but now only blood can be tanks and I hate blood spec. it's a terrible, made up spec created by a bunch of blood elf twilight vampires that are the shame of the scourge.
    druids - they are hippies. eww.
    monks - so, you're telling me that a drunk panda can take a punch, but my ultra muscular demon form with magically hardened skin and magical shields made of anger can't?
    I am intrigued by the concept of just tanking in demon form, it's fresh and new.

Properly explain to the multiple people who have asked you now why warlock tanking in some way removes your ability to enjoy the game by causing you to suddenly not be "PURE" as you have stated. I'm not sure what gaming cred you try to roll around with about your "pure" dps class but where do we apply to get this stupid "pure" license as well to flaunt to the other players for gaming cred? I'm interested.
    Last edited by chaotus; 2013-06-18 at 01:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had fun filling in for the tank when they die or bail on a group on my lock. It still feels out of place a bit though. I don't know, maybe if it were to happen it would be amazing and I'd just get over the weirdness lol.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's no need. Maybe a want at best.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Yes, cloth tanks so we can have another set of gear with weird stats that only one spec of one class uses. Hello, plate and mail (ok, 2 specs of one class) int. You could be having a new sibling soon!

Or we can leave you as you are, with the hunters, where you tank in cases of emergencies or "this is old content and let's just get this crap done".

Quote Originally Posted by zenyatta View Post
    Yes, cloth tanks so we can have another set of gear with weird stats that only one spec of one class uses. Hello, plate and mail (ok, 2 specs of one class) int. You could be having a new sibling soon!

Or we can leave you as you are, with the hunters, where you tank in cases of emergencies or "this is old content and let's just get this crap done".
    Old argument, again no idea why there is even an argument against something that only adds instead of removing. Unless of course people are worried that any change could result in bad changes alongside it, famous blizzard strategy and rightly so that is a possibility I give on that point.

However we have precedent already in game for a class to derive multiple benefits from the same type of stat without using other stats. Warlock tanking as it stands now does actually work to a small degree, so little needs to be added that it's maddening at this point why it's not even done and yet fought so viciously.