Poll: Should Warlocks receive a fully supported tanking specialization?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I would be tanking. that would be at least one more tank in the queues.

why don't I roll a tank, you might ask?

warriors - have no super powers. meh.
    paladins - they are chaste church boys, their class color is pink and they like to wear gold. not my cup of tea
    death knights - I used to tank on my frost DK, but now only blood can be tanks and I hate blood spec. it's a terrible, made up spec created by a bunch of blood elf twilight vampires that are the shame of the scourge.
    druids - they are hippies. eww.
    monks - so, you're telling me that a drunk panda can take a punch, but my ultra muscular demon form with magically hardened skin and magical shields made of anger can't?
    DA doesn't put you into Demon form. It gives your robe wearing warlock wings. Just like everything else, something new will always be rooted for. But it would fade. Of course you would be tanking. Why wouldn't you? But after the newness of it wore off, and ppl realize "oh, now I realize why I didn't roll a tank in the first place.". It'll be wasted resource time. It just isn't worth the immense amount of work that it would take.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 05:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    And most people forget that changing a pure to a hybrid doesn't stop you from dps'ing at all.
    And most ppl don't realize that if they want to play a hybrid, they can. There is nothing stopping them. At all.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2013-06-19 at 05:51 AM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Or you could you know, roll a tank.
    totally what ppl used to say about everyone but prot warriors you know....
    By that note alone guardians, protadins, blood dk's, and brewmasters should all have rolled a prot warrior, something blizz has outmoded.
    So why the anti-locktank face wilbur?
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    totally what ppl used to say about everyone but prot warriors you know....
    By that note alone guardians, protadins, blood dk's, and brewmasters should all have rolled a prot warrior, something blizz has outmoded.
    So why the anti-locktank face wilbur?
    How's that relevant?
    Warriors, Deathknights, Brewmasters, Feral bears and Prot paladin specs have ALWAYS been there. Without any exceptions.

Warlock tanks have existed for 4 or so bosses. With about 60 exceptions.

How about if you want to tank, you roll a tank? And leave those of us who want a purebred dps class to stay (you know, pure) without having to reroll after 7 years of playing the same class. If you're going to ruin a class, ruin a class that people haven't had nearly a decade to form a sturdy relationship with. My warlock is my WoW girlfriend and her becoming a tank will be over my unsubscribed body.

(Hell; even shamans have had a longer tanking carrier than warlocks)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    /signed WoW needs a ranged tanking class to mix up the fights. Why should tanks always have to be a melee class and be "up the bosses butt" all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Celawien View Post
    /signed WoW needs a ranged tanking class to mix up the fights. Why should tanks always have to be a melee class and be "up the bosses butt" all the time.
    ...because they're tanks? Even if you're a "ranged tanking class", you're going to be up the boss's butt 100% of the time because the boss is still going to melee.

15+ Year Old Account
    Id like to see warlock tanks or next class being able to tank at range *fingers crossed for necromancer*
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why does every boss need to be a melee fighter, for the future of coarse. What about bosses that are mages, priests and warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    My warlock is my WoW girlfriend and her becoming a tank will be over my unsubscribed body.
    Which still brings up my other argument, just because it has a 3rd spec sitting in its book doesn't actually mean that your WoW girlfriend need be made a tank.

Deleted
    Which still brings up my other argument, just because it has a 3rd spec sitting in its book doesn't actually mean that your WoW girlfriend need be made a tank.
    Which brings up my first. Pure.

Which brings up my first. Pure.
    What is it you like about being pure? Having multiple options on how to DPS? Why does having a tank spec imply that that's no longer the case?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The only people being excluded is the people that want to tank as a Warlock. Having the option to tank doesn't mean you HAVE to tank. It's an option. By saying that Warlocks shouldn't be able to tank because you don't want the option to tank all you're doing is discriminating against those who do for no reason

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    In terms of class balance? He may not literally be involved in every little tiny decision, but anything as large as adding a new spec to a class, he's the #1 guy in charge of it. He's the one who says yes or no to Warlock tanks, and as far as we know he's saying no.
    So far, what he's said no to is a radical gameplay and playstyle change via a minor glyph and to retrofitting Demonology as a forced-tank spec, citing that there were some DPS Blood and Frost Tank DKs who were unhappy with the talent redesigns from Cataclysm enforcing Blood Tank and Frost/Unholy DPS.

If we ever see fourth specs for non-Druids (unlikely, given that the fourth specs were a thing to make Feral easier to balance, with the tank mechanics migrated over to Guardian, from what I remember), the core mechanics of Dark Apothesis might be rolled from the Glyph of Demon Hunting into a fourth, tanking spec for warlocks.

Which, for the record, I would be totally down with. Warlock tanking looked like a fun concept when the glyph was first introduced, but I can understand and agree with GC's unwillingness to drastically alter a spec's core mechanics with one minor glyph and have that be a supported playstyle.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    Purebred dpsers should be (and mostly are) the best dps class. For the simple reason that they don't have any other options.

Purebred dpsers should be (and mostly are) the best dps class. For the simple reason that they don't have any other options.
    That's not the overarching philosophy though, it's only what is on paper. But in reality, there are often pure classes that are below hybrids: Hunters right now, and yes, Warlocks in the second half of Cataclysm.

Always "pure hybridization" discussions seem to bring up a hybrid tax as a solution. What people forget is that such a tax isn't a solution, and only pisses off more people so Blizzard can't do it. So really, the only thing "pure" about pure is an inability to do anything else.

Or (and this is more controversial), the fact that they have 3 DPS specs which I think is worse than not having a tanking or healing spec. Even if warlocks got a massive amount of dev time to make 3 usable specs, the fact remains that 1) other pures don't have this, and 2) this might count against locks in the future, and already everyone wants a "warlock revamp" - IMO would have been simpler to make 2 really good DPS specs, and a hybrid spec. Same with all the pures.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    If we ever see fourth specs for non-Druids (unlikely, given that the fourth specs were a thing to make Feral easier to balance, with the tank mechanics migrated over to Guardian, from what I remember), the core mechanics of Dark Apothesis might be rolled from the Glyph of Demon Hunting into a fourth, tanking spec for warlocks.

Which, for the record, I would be totally down with. Warlock tanking looked like a fun concept when the glyph was first introduced, but I can understand and agree with GC's unwillingness to drastically alter a spec's core mechanics with one minor glyph and have that be a supported playstyle.
    I'm not that big a fan of a fourth spec anymore, like I said, I'd rather see no class have 3 DPS specs, but I understand that's more utopian than practical. While many hunters/rogues could agree that perhaps their 3 specs could be condensed into 2 "better" specs, if you bring up which spec to remove a certain % of people will always be quite upset.

Deleted
    For warlocks atleast it would be hard to remove demo, destro or affliction.. I could imagine a merge of demo and affliction though? I'm a huge fan of the shadowflame double stacking, in fact imo that should be affliction's core mechanic.

For warlocks atleast it would be hard to remove demo, destro or affliction.. I could imagine a merge of demo and affliction though? I'm a huge fan of the shadowflame double stacking, in fact imo that should be affliction's core mechanic.
    I would have merged demo and destro (and yeah, some elements into affliction, shadowflame in general being a big one), but basically yeah, even though I like the idea of merging specs, I'll acknowledge any such idea however proposed will probably (and most likely) leave a lot of unhappy people.

---

Also to note, locks sort of got an exception with the revamp, to some degree at least. But consider pre-MOP locks, and it would have been way easier to just trim it down to 2 specs. And 3 specs would take either an inordinate amount of time/attention (like locks got in MOP) to stay distinct, or would just end up either a) being all the same, or b) taking a lot of "cool stuff" away from each other.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-06-19 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    I would have merged demo and destro (and yeah, some elements into affliction, shadowflame in general being a big one), but basically yeah, even though I like the idea of merging specs, I'll acknowledge any such idea however proposed will probably (and most likely) leave a lot of unhappy people.
    If it's done with a complete overhaul and some interesting combinations, I'd be all for it. I am not a huge fan of any of the specs as they are now anyway, seeing them mixed up a little with the next expansion would be good imo.
    Like more pet-heavy affliction with shadowflame mechanics..
    And metamorphosissy destruction with doom..

If it's done with a complete overhaul and some interesting combinations, I'd be all for it. I am not a huge fan of any of the specs as they are now anyway, seeing them mixed up a little with the next expansion would be good imo.
    Like more pet-heavy affliction with shadowflame mechanics..
    And metamorphosissy destruction with doom..
    One thing I'd like to see is more of a niche for each pet. For instance Voidwalker is doing well as a tank pet. Felhunter perhaps as a default pet, Imp as a ranged pet.

Off-topic: Another cool toy I'd love to see: while (unlike tank spec) I don't like the idea of locks getting a healer spec (if there WERE ever another class turned into a heal spec, I'd say mage probably, but even that would be... difficult... to pull off without a revamp), it would be nice to have off-healing glyphs at the cost of damage (sort of like hybrid heals). That would also give the succubus a niche, as a healer(?!) pet which would do slightly less damage (or some sort of trade-off) than the Felhunter or Imp.

So perhaps a healer pet (like a hunter's spirit beast) - could be the succubus or a new pet, but one designed around triage. Combine that with "glyph of health funnel" and "glyph of drain life" providing healing to the party (at the heavy DPS cost of using health funnel and drain life over resource-generating DPS fillers), and there's your lock healer. My pick would be to allow Health Funnel to heal party members as well as pets for X amount, and allow Drain Life to also heal up to 6 nearby party members for Y.

(This was sort of inspired by your 25 warlocks versus Heart of Fear run, as a main healer now, I would absolutely love to see this happen just to help with fun stuff like that)
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-06-19 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to actually be a tank tank, not a half tank. Although I did tank a boss in ToT LFR when the tank died once, worked ok that time.

GC can kiss my butt. Why do they hate Warlocks so much? Like since the beginning!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ectothrix View Post
    I would love to actually be a tank tank, not a half tank. Although I did tank a boss in ToT LFR when the tank died once, worked ok that time.

GC can kiss my butt. Why do they hate Warlocks so much? Like since the beginning!
    How can you say that? We've been given the most love since TBC.
    A COMPLETE overhaul in MOP.. mind you it didn't turn out great. A green fire quest, just for us. On average they must've spent far far FAR more hours on the warlock class than any other class in the game. Just look at the other classes. They've hardly changed since TBC. While we're entirely different in every single aspect.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    What is it you like about being pure? Having multiple options on how to DPS? Why does having a tank spec imply that that's no longer the case?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The only people being excluded is the people that want to tank as a Warlock. Having the option to tank doesn't mean you HAVE to tank. It's an option. By saying that Warlocks shouldn't be able to tank because you don't want the option to tank all you're doing is discriminating against those who do for no reason
    It's an option to be a pure dps class. You want to take that option away from people.