Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Banned for no reason

So I was playing wow normally a couple hours ago on an alt, when I got disconnected. Upon trying to log in, I was told that my account had been banned. I also got an email saying I was using bots/third-party. I opened up a ticket telling them that I was not using any bots, and that there just have been a mistake. It was replied to a few hours later, telling me that upon investigating further, that I was using bots, but the permanent ban was made to a 72 hour suspension. Thing is, I honestly wasn't using anything (not intentionally anyway). Are there certain programs that can flag an account as using a bot etc? I am currently using MSE and malwarebytes as antivirus, and don't remember downloading anything suspicious lately. Will blizzard tell me what the offending program was if I ask? I wouldn't want the same thing happen and end up perm-banned just because its still on my system not doing anything.

And here's the reply I got for the ticket:
    Thank you for your follow-up contact. I took the time to do an additional thorough review of the account in question. While previously we had communicated the World of Warcraft account <snip> on <snip> has been closed, in light of my findings, we have changed the action to a 72 hour suspension, final warning on the account.

The reason the action was put in place is because we verified, after multiple reviews, that exploitive behavoirs were exhibited on this account. While we understand that you may disagree with some of the policies or conditions, the bottom line is that they allow us to maintain a fun and safe game environment for all players.

I hope this has resolved any concerns you may have had on this matter. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    Last edited by Lil Master94; 2013-06-19 at 04:22 PM.

The only thing I can think of is you were spending a LOT of time farming and that set off some red flags. That or we're not being told the full story.

72 hour ban. Just be less repetitive with farming. Lesson learned.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you really are innocent the only thing to do is calling them or make another ticket, but calling is probably best. Really aint anything else anyone on this forum can do.

But I wasn't farming either, the alt is only level 47, and I was levelling in tanaris when the ban happened. Although, some time ago (a few days, on another alt, level 90) I had decided to go for Sulfuras, and farmed thorium veins in Silithus for arcane crystals. I needed 50, and by the time I got ~45, i had roughly 1500 thorium ores (75 stacks). I did this in a single day for ~4-5 hours. Could this be the reason? I didn't think farming for hours on end would count as botting?
    Last edited by Lil Master94; 2013-06-19 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Master94 View Post
    But I wasn't farming either, the alt is only level 47, and I was levelling in tanaris when the ban happened. Although, some time ago (a few days, on another alt, level 90) I had decided to go for Sulfuras, and farmed thorium veins in Silithus for arcane crystals. I needed 50, and by the time I got ~45, i had roughly 1500 thorium ores (75 stacks). I did this in a single day for ~4-5 hours. Could this be the source?
    That couldn't have been the cause no.

Either some other person also has access to your account (family member or friend or hacker) and they are botting or you're not giving the full story.
    Nothing you described would warrant a suspension let alone a ban.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When will people realise that farming doesn't flag you for anything, seriously people, you can do the exact same thing as much as you like and nothing will happen, if you get reported multiple times that might cause concern, but it's the connection between you, and the game servers having discrepancy's that causes a flagging

And yes, there are programs that can cause issues, for instance i used to use an Auto click program for Farm Town(lol) But i guessed it would cause issues so i contacted Blizz before i downloaded it and asked them, and they said aslong as i don't use the program while the WoW client is running, it will be fine.

Assuming you are innocent, it could also be any program that some people use to try and lower their ping, that's caused issues from what I've seen, but do a full system scan anyway and i would say try and be more careful, but if you don't know what you were doing it's kind of hard too lol, But at least you got your account back

Either you aren't telling us the whole story or Blizzard made an honest mistake. Call them. Don't make sensationalist threads on these forums about it, that won't solve anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is always more to the story then just this.
    And blizzard doesn't just give a perm ban, they gave a last warn, which means you have broken rules before.
    Easier for them to ban you because you already had a bad past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Will blizzard tell me what the offending program was if I ask?
    This right here tells me that you're using botting programs and want to know which one flagged you. You won't find any sympathy here - Stop botting.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    But I wasn't farming either, the alt is only level 47, and I was levelling in tanaris when the ban happened. Although, some time ago (a few days, on another alt, level 90) I had decided to go for Sulfuras, and farmed thorium veins in Silithus for arcane crystals. I needed 50, and by the time I got ~45, i had roughly 1500 thorium ores (75 stacks). I did this in a single day for ~4-5 hours. Could this be the reason? I didn't think farming for hours on end would count as botting?

Just a heads up. Do a little research on a program called warden before you call them.

Deleted
    Blizzard don't ban people for botting unless they are 100% sure. Lesson learned, don't bot again.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Farming 4-5 hours using the same path people probably reported you. Many bans these days happen due to reports.

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    Farming 4-5 hours using the same path people probably reported you. Many bans these days happen due to reports.
    Was my thought as well, doesn't seem like blizzard actually actively try to catch people botting anymore - And so if your behavior for 4-5 hours was following the exact same route and other players found that suspicious they might've reported you and blizzard.. Well, lets just say they probably don't look too much into reports before taking action (which is.. sad.) so "honest" but lazy mistake by blizzard unless you are in fact botting (knowingly or unknowingly).

I got a 72 hour ban from farming herbs in vale of eternal blossoms.. I do the same route every saturday and sunday, for about 2 hours on my tauren druid (fast flight herbing ftw), it yields me like 1000 herbs, and then I mill those and create ink and sell em. It's great gold, and herbs spawn like hookers in vegas there. Not sure how that means I'm botting but people musta reported me because I got a warning email, and im like what the hell? whatever.

So I put on some music and started farming again and decided to just keep going until I got bored, and I got DC'd, and was banned for 3 days.

Lmao. they ban for such stupid shit.

In WOTLK I got banned cuz I made over 20,000g on the AH within 24 hours, LOL?

Honestly. They are such tossers sometimes over this stuff. Ban the people that need to be banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    i love these posts that say they were banned for no reason
    but then you go on to list the reason you were banned for....lol
    mistake or not you were given a reason, yet you still claim you were banned for no reason

15+ Year Old Account
    They should spend more time investigating battleground bots, because it doesn't seem like they do anything about those people.
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

Blizzard can't detect bots. They can only detect bot-like behavior. They know all the routes that bots take to farm stuff. If you were taking that exact path over and over they would have been watching you (doesn't even take reports for that to happen). They usually test you by teleporting you around to see if the bot gets confused or goes right back to farming (a normal person would be like wtf? saying stuff in chat or going back to town before continuing farming).

tl;dr

You looked like a bot. Either you perfectly matched a bot's behavior somehow, or you were botting.

do you have an authenticator?

also, contact blizzard they have a phone number.. You're an adult, call people. Don't post on a fan site forum.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you look like a bot they will take action regardless of outcome unfortunately and I do LOL at these people who think every single person who gets banned are fucking bots It's amazing.