Burning is one of the few conditions that actually by-passes the stack mechanic But I agree though, conditions are handled very poorly in this game.

What I've seen suggested and it seems like a good idea if we can't have individual stacks, just convert that damage to direct damage once the stack limit has been reached. Seems like a decent compromise.

A-net's excuse is that the stack limit is in place due to data-limitations (dmg is calculated server side). Your "fix" wouldn't resolve that problem. (this is BS imo but that's the info we have to go with) Your fix might even make it worse since instead of using drop-off points you get a screen that does x dmg*25/sec+ however much you go over. Necros can get 20+stacks solo without much problems so if you have to tell the server every 0.04s do what you did + x + that other guy's stacks you get more data to process.

If data truly is the issue, there isn't a simple fix and an overhaul is needed.

Yeah I've read that "reasoning" too but that sounds kinda BS to me. Unless they have the weakest server park in history (or a really badly written code) condition calculations shouldn't be an issue. I don't wanna point fingers to that other game but they managed to raise their DoT limit from 20something to practically unlimited in one of their first patches (because warlocks et al. were bawling their eyes out on the forums).

I also don't quite understand why each bleeding stack is calculated separately (as in, if you have 20 stacks on the boss you get 20 messages on your screen per second, rather than simply cumulating all your bleeds into one). But yeah, probably this part of the game is poorly coded.

Meh.

I'm sure this other game also has hundrets of players clashing to gether in huge battles on maps which are much bigger than the biggest PvE map.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I'm sure this other game also has hundrets of players clashing to gether in huge battles on maps which are much bigger than the biggest PvE map.
    what i dont understand (because i just dont know why), is why everything worked in Dark Age of Camelot back then. 300 people, tanks, healers, nukers, hybrids, cc user, dot classes, pet classes and so on... and everything worked. My pc just lagged while he was loading the models (roughly 2-5 minutes in an artifact battle) and then it was smoth like always.

Quote Originally Posted by Pion
    what i dont understand (because i just dont know why), is why everything worked in Dark Age of Camelot back then. 300 people, tanks, healers, nukers, hybrids, cc user, dot classes, pet classes and so on... and everything worked. My pc just lagged while he was loading the models (roughly 2-5 minutes in an artifact battle) and then it was smoth like always.
    I guess it's because of character model (textures, polygons, tons of animations), lighting, dynamic events on a map, waterphysics, resolution, etc.
    Characters use physics for hair and armor, armor isn't only textures but a lot of polygons, each skill uses sets of animations that can blend into each other; there's so much more stuff going on.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-06-23 at 05:18 PM.

I don't think anyone mentioned PvP / WvW as it is almost purely a PvE issue, but hey, you're just doing your job being the stalwart defender of all things ANet. Good lad.

As far as "massive" outdoor events go in GW2 PvE (Behemoth, Jormag and the other guys) they end up lagging so hard you can't do anything but autoattack. Just like in that other game. Proper condition stacking wouldn't make or break anything at that point.
    But hey, how dare I start a rational discussion about a valid concern.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I don't think anyone mentioned PvP / WvW as it is almost purely a PvE issue
    so PvE hasn't the same character models or effects, animations etc. as WvW? That's new to me.

About the "lags" in dragon battles: since I have a new laptop (I have it since I asked here in this thread about peoples opinion about it) I have no framerate-issues with GW2 at all. Playing it on max. details with relatively constant framerate. Calling me a defender clearly shows that you don't know anything about me, had quite a few critics on GW2 in the past.

Only issue I've come up with in PVE has been culling, never had any lag except very rarely when ArenaNets servers had some hiccups.

so PvE hasn't the same character models or effects, animations etc. as WvW? That's new to me.

About the "lags" in dragon battles: since I have a new laptop (I have it since I asked here in this thread about peoples opinion about it) I have no framerate-issues with GW2 at all. Playing it on max. details with relatively constant framerate. Calling me a defender clearly shows that you don't know anything about me, had quite a few critics on GW2 in the past.
    You're misunderstanding what he's saying. He (correctly) pointed out that the issues with conditions stand out a lot in PvE. I think their system is good for PvP/WvW as we've noticed in the beginning of the game with all the bleed stacking builds.

Which is a bit of a bummer since I've been playing around with a condition based Engineer and Necromancer.

Doesn't matter leveling up but if I ever decided to do some group content with them, I'd be weaker for it. They said they are trying to come up with a solution for it, I hope it's not lip service on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    This should be interesting!
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post2268123

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJohanson
    We’re still working on a system that rewards bonuses and rewards for achieving various thresholds of achievement points on your account. More news on this soon!
    Valar morghulis

Not interesting at all. They need to remove dailies/monthlies from the count for it to matter. One of the reasons I stopped bothering with AP was the simple fact that I have long gaming sessions but I don't have 1h every day to play. So while I do more than others I get less rewards just because I can't play X-amount of time each day.

I seriously won't ever understand why they went with an "unlimited" AP system, it's stupid and unrewarding...

edit:
    Before someone says "it's never good for you". To me all they have been doing is introducing more and more carrots. What they do now is a way of forcing the daily log-in which I find BS. Look at dailies you get 15/day. In a (30day) month that's 450AP + 110 from monthlies. That's 560AP each month. The game is close to 9months old now so that's 5k AP (I know it's not accurate due to changes with daily/monthlyAP).

I'd rather have them make me want to log in because I'm having so much fun instead of making me feel like I have to clock in to work each and every day.
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-06-24 at 07:17 AM.

of course it's interesting, you'll get rewards for reaching certain threshholds, like the HoM I guess. I agree that there should be a separation between the daily/monthly achievement points and the standard ones; I wonder if this is still possible though. At least you can reach those threshholds without doing daylies/monthlies in time.

Okay, finding a name that isn't taken is starting to get ridiculous. I didn't even have this much trouble 5+ years into WoW finding single names that weren't taken, but even the most (I consider) off-the-wall and obscure ones are taken in GW2.

I really wanted an Asuran one that followed naming conventions, but I just don't think that's going to be possible, not as limited as it is. Unfortunately, I don't think anything else is going to look/sound right to me.

Re: Achievement points. Not holding my breath. They've been talking about that for (over?) 6 months now and it's still not done.

Deleted
    Hi all, just dinged 80, where is the "I'm 80 what can I do now?" post? tnx

of course it's interesting, you'll get rewards for reaching certain threshholds, like the HoM I guess. I agree that there should be a separation between the daily/monthly achievement points and the standard ones; I wonder if this is still possible though. At least you can reach those threshholds without doing daylies/monthlies in time.
    Logically it should be quite easy. Add all AP that aren't dailies, subtract them from the total and you know the daily/monthly combination. Now differentiating those is impossible so you'll need to put a limit on them together. Say 5k AP or w/e as a "cap"

@Lane
    What prof is your asura? Also, have you ever considered using a 'handle'? Mine is xxxxx Meledelion. So all my toons basically only have a first name but everyone can remember me easily.

My asura is named Oukka (since he's basically a bookah, I found it funny :d) Wakk (war), Zommeg, Illu (mes), Korrse (necro)...

Deleted
    They said originally re:achievement (tasks ;p) points, that it wouldn`t eb retro active, you`d start gaining toys for only new points you`d make.

As for the dailies, I don`t like doing these at all, nor the monthlies.
    Rewards are of zero use to me as any time I make/use an alt, it hits 80 then gets bank alted with whatever junk it had on at the time.
    I just wish they`d give us an option to get rid of the crap top right nagging constantly about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    What prof is your asura? Also, have you ever considered using a 'handle'? Mine is xxxxx Meledelion. So all my toons basically only have a first name but everyone can remember me easily.
    Female thief. Kind of wanted to stick with a short-ish name. I had a goblin in WoW named Uzo, but that was taken, so was Uza (though I suppose it was dumb to think that any 3-letter name would be available). Had a gnome named Greer, but that was taken too, so were the alternates of Grier and Greely. Even going to names I wasn't super fond of, but could have possibly lived with Nivve, Nerazza, and Ziffi were taken. Shilka, Shir... I don't even remember half the stuff I've tried so far.

I thought about a title since that's an Asuran thing, but I've always kind of hated self appointed titles, it seems really pretentious (even though I suppose that's also an Asuran thing :P). Tried combining the names like Uzo Greer or something, but I just don't like the look/sound of it. (For some reason I am really stuck on Us and Gs.) None of my other characters technically have 'handles'. I did use Lane as a surname for my guardian, but that was also because it was my WoW paladin's name. I like to reuse character names if you couldn't tell. :P

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of just using any old thing and hopefully I'll get a name change contract in a BLC someday whenever I can come up with something appealing that's free (hah -_-).