High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Arrow PVEer looking to begin serious PvP for 1st time (using lvl 90 toon): Tips? Advice?

I began playing WoW the week Cata came out. Since the first week I've played regularly, averaging anywhere from 10 to 40 hours a week. While I have done a few random bgs over the past two years while leveling, I've never done it at max level and never had a toon dedicated to it. I spend my time doing PVE, leveling alts, farming, playing the AH and doing most anything other than PvP. I have three level 90s right now. My main (an ele shammy) and my primary alt (destro lock) are already pretty well geared for PVE and I know how to play both well in a PvE setting. My third, a Spriest, is much lower in ilvl and has been less engaging to play in heroics/lfr. The Spriest seems like a really great class for a beginner in PvP and I've decided to make it my first dedicated PVP toon - I started getting PvP gear for'em yesterday so I've only got some of the ilvl 458 pvp gear with a mix of higher ilvl PVE gear. I did some random bgs last night and was a bit confused by the different objectives of different bgs, how the randoms are normally run, what I should be doing... I know there are many pvp guides out there and I am starting to look through them, but beginning PvP at lvl 90 with no pvp experience remains a bit intimidating so I was wondering if some reguler PvPers here would be so kind as to give me a few short, key pieces of advices/tips about how to start effectively, what my first goals should be, etc. ALSO, curious about Rated BGs, War Games, Arenas, anything for Conquest... Must you have pre-made groups to do these? Can you only start some on certain dates? How do I get into PvP games aside from random bgs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Warsong gulch and twin peaks: capture the flag. You need to return the enemy flag to your flag room while in control of your own flag.

Arathi basin and gilneas: resource control. Capture and defend points to gather resources faster than the other team. Simple enough.

Alterac Valley and Isle of conquest: These are PvE type BGs, the first team to slay the opponents boss wins. In AV, each tower/bunker destroyed reduces the boss's health amd damage by 25% making them significantly easier to kill. Most competent teams should be able to down the boss with 2 towers up and a good tank. Graveyard control is also important and determines where you and the enemy spawn, which can help swing a battle. In the event where a stalemate occurs and neither team can down the boss, the team to run out of resources first loses. Killing an enemy player reduces their resources by 1, I believe. Isle of conquest is similar, except the goal is to control the workshop/docks/hangar to help destroy the enemy teams gate. Docks are usually the best bet because they give access to glaive throwers which, if not destroyed, will completely shred the enemies defenses. Alliance usually wins these BGs due to a massive head start in AV and they almost always take the docks in IoC.

Eye of the Storm: a flag spawns in the middle that can be returned to a captured base for points. There are 4 bases, and which ever team captures the largest amount of bases and flags wins. Controlling either 2 bases and the flag spawn area OR 3 bases for the majority of the battle will result in a win.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

look on youtube how to do xxx bg. sure there will be guide poping up.

wargames and rated bgs are indeed pre made based. use chat/forum/friends/guild/addons to find the group. wargames are 2 premade groups fighting in a bg. this will not grand you any achievment.

rated bg can be done when ever you want. and increase your rating will increase your cp cap. and if you did 10 arena games and then 1 rated bg will give you the full cap. doing 4 arena's then 1 rated bg then 5 arena's again will no. so try to do your rated bg as last.

Deleted
    stick to pve u will get more content and buffs all pvp players like me and others is a middle finger from blizz

Rated BGs and arenas require premade groups. For RBG, you form or join a raid group of 10 players. For arena, you create/join an arena team, then queue for whatever size arena your team is for (2v2, 3v3, 5v5).

As it currently stands, if you have pve geared characters, even full ToT LFR gear, you'll want to use that to start with until you get conquest points, which then let you buy tyrannical. I would dare think this pvp season has at least another 2-3 months left, so you could have most/full tyrannical just in time for next season to start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Start playing your spriest as though you just hit 90 again.
    Go through your spellbook and talents with a fine-toothed comb, and read them, try to work out how abilities that you wouldn't normally use in PvE could be useful in PvP. For example, in PvE you wouldn't use Psychic Horror often, but it could be used in PvP for a number of different things, keeping distance from melee, disarming melee, interrupting spells etc.

Next, you want to keybind everything and by everything, I mean everything. Your keybinds will keep changing, and you'll have to get used to it, but you can't get better at PvP without good keybinds.
    For example, abilities that you need to use quickly, like Psychic Horror or Silence, need to be somewhere you can reach quickly when someone is casting a spell at you.

Duel a lot, do a lot of battlegrounds, do 2v2 with good players (for as long as they can put up with you).
    Humble yourself, ask people questions. If you don't understand what someone just did to you, ask them to link the ability so you can read it.
    Don't switch specs/classes whenever you "get stuck", play one spec/class and learn it inside out, how to react to every situation.
    Last edited by Krixooks; 2013-06-24 at 02:11 PM.

Person above me just saved me a whole 5 minutes of writing. So ignore me, pay attention to what Krixkooks just said. ^

Deleted
    Get the addon oqueue for premade grps for RBG, random BG, arena etc. Will really help your life as a PvP´er, especially in RBG.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/oqueue

And everything Krixooks said...

Also, be patient. Lots of complete mouthbreathers in PvP

Deleted
    When you're undergeared just spam Alterac Valley, it has the biggest honor yield of all bgs.

Since you're worthless atm in 1v1, just stick to the crowd. You can take the 0 action path: Kill Galv/Ballinda then move with the crowd to the enemy base where you will slack around OR the slightly more action path and defend towers with others.

Your 1st gear priority are the weapons, then the tier armor (head, shoulders, chest, etc), leave jewelry and belt for last but do get the pvp cc breaker trinket if you don't have one or EMFH.

Don't waste your gold on the crafted pvp set, it's garbage and you won't need it anyway while you're farming AV, however the plate and cloth stuff on my server is pretty cheap so buy it if it doesn't poke a hole in your pockets. I make my money from making leather pvp stuff for noobs cause hardly anyone goes through the nightmare of leveling leatherworking and the noobs think they actually need that shit gear, so the prices for leather stuff is pretty high.

Do not farm honor during night time...for the night is dark and full of botters.

Quote Originally Posted by Krixooks View Post
    Start playing your spriest as though you just hit 90 again.
    Go through your spellbook and talents with a fine-toothed comb, and read them, try to work out how abilities that you wouldn't normally use in PvE could be useful in PvP. For example, in PvE you wouldn't use Psychic Horror often, but it could be used in PvP for a number of different things, keeping distance from melee, disarming melee, interrupting spells etc.

Next, you want to keybind everything and by everything, I mean everything. Your keybinds will keep changing, and you'll have to get used to it, but you can't get better at PvP without good keybinds.
    For example, abilities that you need to use quickly, like Psychic Horror or Silence, need to be somewhere you can reach quickly when someone is casting a spell at you.

Duel a lot, do a lot of battlegrounds, do 2v2 with good players (for as long as they can put up with you).
    Humble yourself, ask people questions. If you don't understand what someone just did to you, ask them to link the ability so you can read it.
    Don't switch specs/classes whenever you "get stuck", play one spec/class and learn it inside out, how to react to every situation.
    this is solid advice.

the more you play the better you will get though.

Though Spriests are a hard class to play in pvp atm for a beginner melee will sit on you in BGs/RBGs/arenas from the start till yours or their death!

ele is the top tier caster atm , similarly affliction lock is strong perhaps consider one of your other 2 for an easier time?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyjam View Post
    Though Spriests are a hard class to play in pvp atm for a beginner melee will sit on you in BGs/RBGs/arenas from the start till yours or their death!
    Nah, spriest is easy to play. The thing is spriests don't really have enough tool to get melees of their backs. Spriests suck at 1v1 and random pvp from this point of view. It doesn't matter how good you are, you just won't be able to get warriors/rogues/monks or dks off your back and you will lose eventually.

As a ww monk I have no problem with spriests in duels and random pvp.
    Last edited by mmoc7f02ba85a4; 2013-06-25 at 11:27 AM.

pick OP class and own even tho ur noob
    like mage, rogue or hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spelle View Post
    pick OP class and own even tho ur noob
    like mage, rogue or hunter
    Mages and rogues are pretty average these days. But yeah, huntard is op as fuck.

Deleted
    The start will most likely be rough. I remember being confused and angry at first when pvp was forced onto me doing dailys on isle of quel danas. Most of the time I didn't know what was done to me and what I was dying to, nor how I could counter it.

So like others said, keybind everything, mouseturn get used to look for opportunities to cc (which you probably never had to in pve before).
    Over time you'll get to know the other classes abilities. This is the bread and butter. If you don't know the mage can counterspell you, why'd you try to fakecast a heal?

Advanced tactics on your spriest will then later include fakecasting, "deathing" cc that breaks on damage, LoSing, fearbombing out of invis and the like. But you'll get the hang of it over time. Look up spriest class hero armories if you are wondering which specc and glyphs to use. Talbadar, Khryl and Sylents (Reckful) come to mind.

Have fun!

Go to twitch.com and start watching high ranked arena play. Spriests are very viable and have some amazing players that stream (talbadar, khryl) although not often. They do however play with other streamers a lot (cdew, venruki).

The biggest piece of advice i can give is don't give up when you get the crap kicked out of you in BG's and never blame the game for this happening. It doesn't take the greatest skilled player to be able to trash anyone in random BG's, so don't think that losing to a random player in a BG is unfair, you can always beat the scum that plagues randoms no matter what class they play ;D (unless they are actually a high ranked player which is very rare).

Again, i can't reiterate enough how helpful watching high ranked players streams can be, in WoW and any other game.
    Last edited by panterarules; 2013-06-26 at 02:26 AM.

Not sure about others ... but BG is fucked up for me,
    I can get more honor from converting JP to honor, ( you probably need Tank/Healer).
    But I just do buying arena win, usually around 100G/win ( got enough gold to cap from leveling ).

Like others have stated. There is alot of guides on bg's. I found something as simple as WoW Insider shows basic bg's and tatics in randoms
    http://wow.joystiq.com/

Just look to the left where this is dates for Call to Arms, click on one and read up on them.